The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Default OT: GABF

Anyone going this year? Just got my tickets in the presale for the Saturday afternoon tasting with the pros. Can't wait!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

After the prices were raised to $75 a piece I have decided to skip this year. I have gone the past 6 years- 2 nights- each year. Too expensive now.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Going, but only cause I got talked into volunteering where I'd earn two free tickets. Last year just didn't quite cut it for me after paying and dealing with the masses and 1oz tastes.

I like more low-key beer events, where you get a decent pour and can actually take the time to taste the beer. Also, where there aren't so many breweries that you can stop by each tent and actually have a chat with the beer reps.

To each their own. GABF has its place and its incredible to see what the American Beer World has become.

By the way, for everyone in Denver, check out River North Brewery on Blake and 23rd (where Flying Dog used to be). It gets my vote for best new brewery in the area, and perhaps best brewery in Denver next to Strange.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

River North is good, though i wouldn't call them a "new" brewery anymore. They've been there for a few years now.

Strange, Dry Dock, Prost and Great Divide are my go-to's locally. And Crooked Stave is making a BIG push with some of their offerings.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Johnykbr

One that used to be pretty great when I lived in the area was the Craft Lager Festival in Manitou Springs. It was awesome. Low crowd, no tokens, plenty of music. It's on the smaller side too so you don't have to walk a mile from one end to the other. Plus a lot of it is shaded by trees so no freakin heat stroke.

It's coming up in a couple of weeks for those interested.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Tim

Are tickets still available? If so where?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Are tickets still available? If so where?
They go on sale to the public tomorrow. They'll be gone in less than 15 seconds (seriously).
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
They go on sale to the public tomorrow. They'll be gone in less than 15 seconds (seriously).
This. 10am Mountain time tomorrow. I got in the presale that's open to Homebrewers Association members, so I was able to get in today at 10.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
After the prices were raised to $75 a piece I have decided to skip this year. I have gone the past 6 years- 2 nights- each year. Too expensive now.
Wow. The last time I went it was $25 to get in.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
River North is good, though i wouldn't call them a "new" brewery anymore. They've been there for a few years now.

Strange, Dry Dock, Prost and Great Divide are my go-to's locally. And Crooked Stave is making a BIG push with some of their offerings.
They opened in February or March of 2012, which was about the same time as Hogshead and Prost. I consider that pretty new.

Denver Beer Company opened about this time of year in 2011. I still consider that fairly new, compared to Dry Dock, Great Divide, etc... Their initial beers were not nearly as good as what I've had their this summer. They seem to have got the hang of it now. Especially if you like belgian styles and sours.

Strange and River North are definitely my breweries of choice right now, though Great Divide always impresses with their consistency in delivering a quality beverage. I'm personally not a huge fan of Prost, though they're leaps and bounds better than Denver Beer Co. across the highway.

De Steeg on Tennyson is also putting forth some tasty beverages. Not hard to find a good place for a good beer in this state. Not sure that Weld county has any decent breweries though. Maybe that is why they want to leave... they hate beer.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
One that used to be pretty great when I lived in the area was the Craft Lager Festival in Manitou Springs. It was awesome. Low crowd, no tokens, plenty of music. It's on the smaller side too so you don't have to walk a mile from one end to the other. Plus a lot of it is shaded by trees so no freakin heat stroke.

It's coming up in a couple of weeks for those interested.
Excellent! I'm heading up to the Winter Park Brew Fest next weekend.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Anyone going this year? Just got my tickets in the presale for the Saturday afternoon tasting with the pros. Can't wait!
Just got mine for the same session too. My wife and I like to come up for one game a year, and picked the Jacksonville game because our kids school has that monday off - teacher inservice day, and so grandma and grandpa won't have to worry about getting the kids to school...plus, it would be nice to not freeze like we did last January. We didn't even realize this was GABF weekend when we booked the trip.

As a homebrewer, I'm especially excited to go see what the pros are up to.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
lolcopter

After going for like 4-5 years in a row I've stopped the past couple years because tickets are impossible to get and if you've done it once youve done it a million times

Highly recommended, but there's many other more accessible festivals for locals to concentrate on. If you're making a trip of it however, hats off to ya, have a blast! Keep a secure hold on your glass.

Last edited by lolcopter; 07-30-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
They opened in February or March of 2012, which was about the same time as Hogshead and Prost. I consider that pretty new.

Denver Beer Company opened about this time of year in 2011. I still consider that fairly new, compared to Dry Dock, Great Divide, etc... Their initial beers were not nearly as good as what I've had their this summer. They seem to have got the hang of it now. Especially if you like belgian styles and sours.

Strange and River North are definitely my breweries of choice right now, though Great Divide always impresses with their consistency in delivering a quality beverage. I'm personally not a huge fan of Prost, though they're leaps and bounds better than Denver Beer Co. across the highway.

De Steeg on Tennyson is also putting forth some tasty beverages. Not hard to find a good place for a good beer in this state. Not sure that Weld county has any decent breweries though. Maybe that is why they want to leave... they hate beer.
You know, you're right. I could have sworn they opened in '11, but I guess I was off on that by quite a bit.

Denver Beer Co. has just never impressed me with their offerings. it's a great PLACE, and I love that I can bring the dog and hang out in the sunshine on their cool patio, but as far as beer goes, it's just not impressive at all.

Strange's 1000 Barrel IPA is awesome, and a must-have every time. Same with the Strange Pale, which is beautifully balanced, IMO.

I'm with you on the consistency of Great Divide. That place is awesome. Titan is amazing, and I love what they do with the Yetis. That Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is just incredible. Doesn't hurt that I'm in there so many times per week, they give me good guy discounts almost every time. I got absolutely hammered in there two weeks ago, had at least 5 beers, and paid $10. At the top was "Good Guy Discount."

I was pleased.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Just got mine for the same session too. My wife and I like to come up for one game a year, and picked the Jacksonville game because our kids school has that monday off - teacher inservice day, and so grandma and grandpa won't have to worry about getting the kids to school...plus, it would be nice to not freeze like we did last January. We didn't even realize this was GABF weekend when we booked the trip.

As a homebrewer, I'm especially excited to go see what the pros are up to.
My buddy and I will probably pregame at Illegal Pete's for some breakfast burritos beforehand if you and your missus wanna join us.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Anyone know of any Afterglow brewing fests where I can wave to the ladies in my swag?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Going for the Saturday afternoon members only event. Jacksonville game on Sunday.

I was also looking into the Oskar Blues "Ordeal" bus tour. Anyone do this or talk to someone wo did last year? Looks like a really fun tour. Also, the Denver "Brews Cruise" sponsors an event called RendezBrew at the Breckenridge Brewery - anyone go to that last year?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote