The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #351
Stuck in Cali
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Called Directv told them I wasn't going to threaten leaving. Asked if there was anything they felt like doing to reduce my bill, even if they couldn't I wouldn't leave. They gave me a $20.00 a month credit for the next six months.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #352
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,849
Default

called, asked for retention as I shared I thought DirectTV was too expensive and Sunday Ticket was certainly a lot.

They asked me what I wanted to pay, I said $65 (currently 85). They gave me $20 per month for 1 year and free Sunday ticket (no max, but I will call about that another day). Happy guy! took 20 minutes.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #353
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories
 
DenverBound's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat!

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Cali View Post
Called Directv told them I wasn't going to threaten leaving. Asked if there was anything they felt like doing to reduce my bill, even if they couldn't I wouldn't leave. They gave me a $20.00 a month credit for the next six months.
Terrible negotiator.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #354
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,184

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Lovin life right now.

I called up directv to legitimately cancel my service and switch to Verizon triple play and was talked into staying with directv for the following deal after 45 minutes of going back and forth:

My previous service:

Directv's lowest basic hd cable package with no movie channels, nothing extra, on two tvs (with basic hd-dvr on one tv): $105 per month.

New service:

Genie/whole home DVR
HD plan includes 25 extra channels
All movie channels free for 4 months (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, etc)
Free NFL Sunday Ticket MAX

Total per month: $47.00
Holy crap! Best deal I've heard yet. How long will your bill be at $47? 1 year?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #355
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDoug View Post
So my 2 year agreement with my cable provider is set to expire after August. I was wanting to switch to DirecTV to get free Sunday Ticket just in time for the Broncos season. When I go on their website it says that this offer expires in 3 days. What the heck are my options?
Call DirecTV and tell them your situation.

They want your business, they'll work with you I'm certain.

(Then give them my account number and save me $100 a year )
Smilin Assassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #356
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Holy crap! Best deal I've heard yet. How long will your bill be at $47? 1 year?
2 years, surprisingly. It will only go up if I want to add in all the stupid movie channels I get for free for the first few months, which I won't do. This guy I was on with was incredible. Kept adding discount after discount and literally threw in the Sunday Ticket Max at the end without me even asking for it. He just asked me if I liked the NFL. I said yes and he said that he could give me it for free.

They also have a partnership going with Verizon for cable right now in my area. I locked in their 75/35 Fios Internet for $60 a month for 2 years. That's less than I'm paying right now for Comcast and it's in theory going to be a lot faster than my current Comcast connection. If I didn't sign on for that, my directv would cost $57 a month instead of the $47.

So, overall I went from paying $180 a month for directv tv and Comcast internet to $107 a month for better directv with genie and Sunday Ticket Max and faster internet.

So glad I decided to just make the call on a lazy sunday afternoon.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #357
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
2 years, surprisingly. It will only go up if I want to add in all the stupid movie channels I get for free for the first few months, which I won't do. This guy I was on with was incredible. Kept adding discount after discount and literally threw in the Sunday Ticket Max at the end without me even asking for it. He just asked me if I liked the NFL. I said yes and he said that he could give me it for free.

They also have a partnership going with Verizon for cable right now in my area. I locked in their 75/35 Fios Internet for $60 a month for 2 years. That's less than I'm paying right now for Comcast and it's in theory going to be a lot faster than my current Comcast connection. If I didn't sign on for that, my directv would cost $57 a month instead of the $47.

So, overall I went from paying $180 a month for directv tv and Comcast internet to $107 a month for better directv with genie and Sunday Ticket Max and faster internet.

So glad I decided to just make the call on a lazy sunday afternoon.
Just called and they took $25 off my bill for 15 months, but wouldn't budge on the NFL Sunday Ticket w/out Max included.

With Max included, they offered it for one payment of $97. Might have to call back for that, though all I wanted was basic Sunday Ticket (he said it would cost more that way, the deal was including Sunday Ticket Max).

Might just be me getting greedy. They took $25 off to take me to $50 a month, so $97 for Sunday Ticket Max is still a discount. I'm curious if you bargained them down before or got it free previously?

I had Sunday Ticket free last yr. Could be why I'm "Not eligible" for it this year.
Smilin Assassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #358
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football
 
bfoflcommish's Avatar
 
GO..........BRONCOS

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mile High
Posts: 3,487

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Just called and they took $25 off my bill for 15 months, but wouldn't budge on the NFL Sunday Ticket w/out Max included.

With Max included, they offered it for one payment of $97. Might have to call back for that, though all I wanted was basic Sunday Ticket (he said it would cost more that way, the deal was including Sunday Ticket Max).

Might just be me getting greedy. They took $25 off to take me to $50 a month, so $97 for Sunday Ticket Max is still a discount. I'm curious if you bargained them down before or got it free previously?

I had Sunday Ticket free last yr. Could be why I'm "Not eligible" for it this year.


i bargain for free sunday ticket max every year. keep on it
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #359
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
i bargain for free sunday ticket max every year. keep on it
Well technically I did bargain them to $97 for the ticket + Max, but wasn't really looking to get Max. (I just watch the games on tv, no need for phone, tablet, etc)

Was just surprised I couldn't get it lower (or free) considering I only wanted the basic Sunday Ticket.
Smilin Assassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #360
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,184

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
2 years, surprisingly. It will only go up if I want to add in all the stupid movie channels I get for free for the first few months, which I won't do. This guy I was on with was incredible. Kept adding discount after discount and literally threw in the Sunday Ticket Max at the end without me even asking for it. He just asked me if I liked the NFL. I said yes and he said that he could give me it for free.

They also have a partnership going with Verizon for cable right now in my area. I locked in their 75/35 Fios Internet for $60 a month for 2 years. That's less than I'm paying right now for Comcast and it's in theory going to be a lot faster than my current Comcast connection. If I didn't sign on for that, my directv would cost $57 a month instead of the $47.

So, overall I went from paying $180 a month for directv tv and Comcast internet to $107 a month for better directv with genie and Sunday Ticket Max and faster internet.

So glad I decided to just make the call on a lazy sunday afternoon.
Bravo. Well done, Bean.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #361
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Might just be me getting greedy. They took $25 off to take me to $50 a month, so $97 for Sunday Ticket Max is still a discount. I'm curious if you bargained them down before or got it free previously?

I had Sunday Ticket free last yr. Could be why I'm "Not eligible" for it this year.
I haven't gotten any freebies from them for years and didn't bother with Sunday Ticket at all last year....mostly because there were only about 3 or 4 Broncos games that weren't shown in my area, so I'd just hit up a bar.

I think that helped me. I've been with them for about 15 years, haven't asked for anything in years and have been paying on time. They've made a nice chunk of change off of me and can afford to take a hit for a few.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #362
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran
 
CSU Husker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 467
Default

Just called and got my hook up for the year. First off, I have gotten Sunday Ticket free the past two years. This year got $25 a month off my bill, and free Red Zone channel. I didn't know they could just give you the Red Zone channel, but apparently they can. I even logged in online to verify it and it shows on my account as just Red Zone channel. Should be good enough, don't really need the full package.

They also offered to give me the Genie system, but that would require a 24 month agreement, so I said I would think about it. Anyone have the Genie? How do you like it?
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #363
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan
 
PFM / Kopitar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 5,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSU Husker View Post
Just called and got my hook up for the year. First off, I have gotten Sunday Ticket free the past two years. This year got $25 a month off my bill, and free Red Zone channel. I didn't know they could just give you the Red Zone channel, but apparently they can. I even logged in online to verify it and it shows on my account as just Red Zone channel. Should be good enough, don't really need the full package.

They also offered to give me the Genie system, but that would require a 24 month agreement, so I said I would think about it. Anyone have the Genie? How do you like it?
I got a free upgrade to the genie recently. I've had directv for a long time, so I know I will have it the 24 months. I didn't think it was that big of deal when advertised, but after having it for a month I like it.. I have 3 rooms I used dvrs with, but now I don't have the bulky dvr boxes , the genies are a lot smaller where you barely notice them. The main one in the house is about half the size of the reg. dvr. The convenience of having all recorded shows available to you in each room is great, has a lot more memory for recorded shows, I believe 1 terabyte. I like the ability of watching one show in living room, pausing it & turn off tv then pick it up in bedroom and we hit pause again and we haven't missed a thing. The main box has picture in picture which is pretty cool, if you want to watch golf in the background w/o sound, and watch something else at the same time. Can't wait to try with football. Ideally PIP the screen would be divided equally in half, but one screen size is bigger than the other, and you have options on where to place them on the screen. I give it a thumbs up personally.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #364
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,962

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Just buy Madden
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #365
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker
 
ShutDownPoster's Avatar
 
JUSTICE is served!!

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 814
Default

Living overseas, I used to have to depend on stream torrents and such. Luckily NFL Game Pass came along and since 2008 I've been a happy camper - first 2 years signals would drop regularly. But now, its totally awesome, 200$ a year for PS, Reg Season, and Playoffs, including NFL Network, and Coaches Film and the access is valid for 1 year. With the iPad app, I can stream it to my Apple TV in full HD. I guess you stateside guys can sign up using a friend or relatives' CC from overseas and log-in through a VPN. Worth a shot.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #366
Dendave
Ring of Famer
 
Dendave's Avatar
 
Echo

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
She offered me $73.98. I took it, better than the $224.98 I was offered yesterday. Now in a month or two I need to call back and get $$$ taken of the bill for some reason like last year with the Viacom issue and will get it for free.
Just called asked for promotions, when there asked what could I do to lower me bill, after everything said and done, DVR free for 6 months, HBO free for 6 months, Starz/Encore free for 6 months, even though I have automatic bill pay, $5 off for a year. So basically I am getting the DVR and HBO for free, I was paying, get Starz/Encore, which I didn't have and get an extra $5 off my bill because I use automatic bill pay, add in the additional $10 discount I was already receiving I am happy right now.
Dendave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #367
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
Living overseas, I used to have to depend on stream torrents and such. Luckily NFL Game Pass came along and since 2008 I've been a happy camper - first 2 years signals would drop regularly. But now, its totally awesome, 200$ a year for PS, Reg Season, and Playoffs, including NFL Network, and Coaches Film and the access is valid for 1 year. With the iPad app, I can stream it to my Apple TV in full HD. I guess you stateside guys can sign up using a friend or relatives' CC from overseas and log-in through a VPN. Worth a shot.
I'm most likely going to need this. I'm in no mans land Afghanistan. Do i need to download the App to my iPad and pay for it from there??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #368
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer
 
i4jelway7's Avatar
 
loves haters & trolls

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,205
Default

well I just tried to get a discount, no luck & I've been with dtv for over 15 years & I've had Sunday Ticket every year, the customer service rep didn't offer anything they just canceled it... my sh*tty customer service rep was Matt...
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #369
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
well I just tried to get a discount, no luck & I've been with dtv for over 15 years & I've had Sunday Ticket every year, the customer service rep didn't offer anything they just canceled it... my sh*tty customer service rep was Matt...
That's when you simply hang up and call right back. It's all about who you talk to.

Also did you get to the retention department? I know 10 people who have called in the last month and they have all gotten Sunday ticket for free and some have gotten discounts on their monthly bill and equipment upgrades. You talk to another person, you get what you want.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #370
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,197
Default

I called over the weekend and was on the phone working it for an hour, usually it takes about 20 minutes. I finally got to the 3rd level, the retention department, after the lady on the 2nd level was being a cheap ass.

They would only give my the Sunday Ticket Max for 4 payments of like $36....but they gave me a $20 credit off my bill for the next 12 months, and another $15 credit off my bill for the next 15 months, plus waived my $5 monthly HD fee for the next 12 months.

So basically, the Ticket will be free after those monthly discounts, and then I'll be saving $20 to $40 off my bill for several more months when those 4 payments are done.

They're also coming out and hooking up the Genie for free, but I think they're doing that free for everyone.

They're goofy about their discounts sometimes, but if you keep at it, you'll get the Sunday Ticket for free and then some.

This time was the longest it ever took, but it was worth it when I look at how much money I saved.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-08-2013 at 11:55 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #371
kane0730
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Thanks to this thread, I decided to call and threaten to leave Directv. My two year agreement was due at the end of August, so I told them I wanted to cancel it then, and was switching to Comcast. With zero haggling on my part, the guy threw me $30 off a month and the NFL package/Redzone for free. Can't believe how easy it was.fficeffice" />
kane0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #372
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
well I just tried to get a discount, no luck & I've been with dtv for over 15 years & I've had Sunday Ticket every year, the customer service rep didn't offer anything they just canceled it... my sh*tty customer service rep was Matt...
I always make sure to call them by their name and ask them how their day is going etc....

I always find it's best to be nice and courteous and explain to them that the only reason I get directv is for the Sunday Ticket and that it's simply not feasible to pay for it, as my monthly bill is already as high as I can afford per month....blah, blah, blah.

I remind them that I've been a great customer for a long time, but that without the Sunday Ticket, there are other options available, but that it would be nice to work something out with them.

They make enough per month as it is off everyone, they don't want to lose you as a customer....if you don't get what you want, call back and try again.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-08-2013 at 12:02 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #373
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,197
Default

I've got to call for my friend this weekend to get him a deal, as he is never able to get the deal himself.

He does have an annoying, demanding, and grating voice though....I'd probably deny him the discount after listening to him for 2 minutes.

I called for him last year and got that ********** an even better deal than I got myself.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #374
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I called over the weekend and was on the phone working it for an hour, usually it takes about 20 minutes. I finally got to the 3rd level, the retention department, after the lady on the 2nd level was being a cheap ass.

They would only give my the Sunday Ticket Max for 4 payments of like $36....but they gave me a $20 credit off my bill for the next 12 months, and another $15 credit off my bill for the next 15 months, plus waived my $5 monthly HD fee for the next 12 months.

So basically, the Ticket will be free after those monthly discounts, and then I'll be saving $20 to $40 off my bill for several more months when those 4 payments are done.

They're also coming out and hooking up the Genie for free, but I think they're doing that free for everyone.

They're goofy about their discounts sometimes, but if you keep at it, you'll get the Sunday Ticket for free and then some.

This time was the longest it ever took, but it was worth it when I look at how much money I saved.
Sounds a lot like the deal that was offered me, and I passed. I had tunnel vision and was still unwilling to pay for Sunday Ticket, but in hindsight..I saw they were basically giving me a better deal. (I'd be paying more per month had I just asked for Sunday Ticket for free, and kept my old bill).

They offered the Genie as well, but I believe it came w/another 2-year commitment. I'm not planning on changing providers, but w/the NFL's exclusive deal w/DirecTV ending this year, I'd hate to be locked in and have them lose the Sunday Ticket.

Probably still going to call back one more time to see if I can get the previously offered deal + any kind of discount on the Ticket.
Smilin Assassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #375
Dendave
Ring of Famer
 
Dendave's Avatar
 
Echo

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
They offered the Genie as well, but I believe it came w/another 2-year commitment. I'm not planning on changing providers, but w/the NFL's exclusive deal w/DirecTV ending this year, I'd hate to be locked in and have them lose the Sunday Ticket.
They offered me the Genie as well and I didn't accept it for the same reason you mention and I told the girl that I didn't want to be locked into a 2 year contract if DTV no longer offers the Sunday ticket, she wasn't aware that DTV might lose Sunday ticket.
Dendave is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Denver Broncos