The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #426
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
You know, even though Pujols numbers have dipped to being an average 1B, his overall numbers are still staggering.
If he just keeps up a 150 hit, 25 homeruns, 25 doubles, 90 RBI and 80 runs scored pace for only 4 more seasons, he'll basically have 3,000 hits, 1700+ runs scored, 1850+ RBI's, 600 homeruns and 625 doubles. And at this point, he'll still have a couple more years available as he'll be 37/38.
Side note, I never knew ARod was so close to 2,000 RBI's.

Its going to be interesting what Cabrera's numbers will end up looking like. Since Pujols has slowed down, I think Cabrera in the end could surpass Pujols' staggering numbers now. That is, unless Cabrera somehow goes through a Pujols-esque funk at around 33 like he did.
and now he might be out for the season.
the Cards are looking smarter and smarter for walking away. then again, Texas isn't looking to bad for letting Hamilton go either.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #427
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
the Cards are looking smarter and smarter for walking away. then again, Texas isn't looking to bad for letting Hamilton go either.

His OPS declined in each of his last 4 seasons with the Cardinals. Of course, when the decline began it was an astronomical 1.154.

The Cardinals got 11 first ballot hall of fame seasons from Albert for quite a bit less than market value, then Artie bailed them out of having to overpay for his declining seasons. I'll always pull for him, anyway.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #428
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
His OPS declined in each of his last 4 seasons with the Cardinals. Of course, when the decline began it was an astronomical 1.154.

The Cardinals got 11 first ballot hall of fame seasons from Albert for quite a bit less than market value, then Artie bailed them out of having to overpay for his declining seasons. I'll always pull for him, anyway.
i'd much rather be stuck with Albert's production and contract than A-Rod's.
i can only hope baseball bans that a-hole for life and his contract gets voided.

all they had to do was listen to Cashman dammit!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #429
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:

Thats the thing that made me scratch my head with Pujols' and Hamilton's contract too.

With Pujols, you're looking at declining production, which is normal for a player aging, so you know he isn't going to average amazing numbers throughout his contract. Yet, he gets the record contract and of course, follows it up with the declining production trend.

With Hamilton, you got a guy who is injury prone and one of the most inconsistent players in the game.
He was the MVP through May last year, maybe stretch it to the All Star break.
But he was bad in June, tremendously awful in July and then decent in August and September. But those months in June and July cost a LOT, not just to his numbers, but the Rangers. I can not believe he still got a huge payday given his age and history.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #430
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
You know, even though Pujols numbers have dipped to being an average 1B, his overall numbers are still staggering.
If he just keeps up a 150 hit, 25 homeruns, 25 doubles, 90 RBI and 80 runs scored pace for only 4 more seasons, he'll basically have 3,000 hits, 1700+ runs scored, 1850+ RBI's, 600 homeruns and 625 doubles. And at this point, he'll still have a couple more years available as he'll be 37/38.
Side note, I never knew ARod was so close to 2,000 RBI's.

Its going to be interesting what Cabrera's numbers will end up looking like. Since Pujols has slowed down, I think Cabrera in the end could surpass Pujols' staggering numbers now. That is, unless Cabrera somehow goes through a Pujols-esque funk at around 33 like he did.
A-Rod is close to 3,000 hits (2,901 hits) and 2,000 RBIs (1,951 RBIs)....you know he wants to at least play long enough to reach those 2 milestones.

Only 3 players have reached 2,000 RBIs (Aaron, Ruth, Anson), with Barry Bonds getting very close with 1,996 RBIs.

As for Miggy, if he can stay healthy, he will put up some monster numbers. I know it will be a risk re-signing him to a big deal in his 30s, but the Tigers almost need to, as he is the face of the franchise. Not a major priority right now though, as he is signed through the 2015 season.

Miggy just turned 30 this season and already has 1,039 runs, 1,938 hits (should go over 2,000 hits this season), 406 doubles, 353 HRs, 1,222 RBIs, and a career batting average of .321.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-28-2013 at 06:48 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #431
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I think Detroit has talked with Miggy about a contract extension already for 3 or 4 years that would tack on to the end of his deal that runs through 2015, which would then run until he is 35 or 36 years old.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #432
TheChamp24

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
A-Rod is close to 3,000 hits (2,901 hits) and 2,000 RBIs (1,951 RBIs)....you know he wants to at least play long enough to reach those 2 milestones.

Only 3 players have reached 2,000 RBIs (Aaron, Ruth, Anson), with Barry Bonds getting very close with 1,996 RBIs.

As for Miggy, if he can stay healthy, he will put up some monster numbers. I know it will be a risk re-signing him to a big deal in his 30s, but the Tigers almost need to, as he is the face of the franchise. Not a major priority right now though, as he is signed through the 2015 season.

Miggy just turned 30 this season and already has 1,039 runs, 1,938 hits (should go over 2,000 hits this season), 406 doubles, 353 HRs, 1,222 RBIs, and a career batting average of .321.
If ARod didn't have the injury issues the past few years, we're probably talking about him having say 3,100 hits, 2,000 runs, 2,100 RBI's, 680 homeruns and say 550 doubles, rounding here and there.
And the thing is, I would argue he is still a valuable player when healthy, at this point, can still hit about .275/.280, hit around 30 homeruns, drive in 90+ runs, etc.

With Cabrera, it will be interesting to see how his trend continues.

Quote:
I think Detroit has talked with Miggy about a contract extension already for 3 or 4 years that would tack on to the end of his deal that runs through 2015, which would then run until he is 35 or 36 years old.
If I were the Tigers, you gotta extend him, especially since his play hasn't diminished at all. With Pujols, his play was declining, not with Cabrera so it would be safer in my eyes.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #433
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I've heard that MLB is thinking about giving A-Rod a lifetime ban for this latest PED issue....I actually think that's bull****, and I'm no A-Rod apologist.

I could see a 50 game suspension or something like that, but you don't even have a positive test to go on.

I think MLB and the Yankees are working together to try and figure out a way to avoid paying A-Rod the remainder of the money owed to him on that huge contract they signed him to.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #434
bombay
Ring of Famer

Latest I've heard about Arod is they are trying to get him to agree to be suspended without pay for the remainder of this season and all of next season. Then he would be allowed to finish out his contract. The proposal, allegedly, is that he take that deal or they go for permanant bannination beginning now.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #435
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
If there is no hometown pitching coming up to help in the near future, Angels might have to sit out the free agent market as these two contracts are for a looooong time. Our GM got a memo that we need to more hitting and less pitching when you lose Greinke (after giving up Segura for him) and get Blanton in exchange (not directly of course).
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #436
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I've heard that MLB is thinking about giving A-Rod a lifetime ban for this latest PED issue....I actually think that's bull****, and I'm no A-Rod apologist.

I could see a 50 game suspension or something like that, but you don't even have a positive test to go on.

I think MLB and the Yankees are working together to try and figure out a way to avoid paying A-Rod the remainder of the money owed to him on that huge contract they signed him to.
Im surprised the insurance company responsible for his salary this season (if he doesn't play) doesn't jump in and threaten a lawsuit against the Yankees. I hate ARod but I think Yankees are in the wrong especially if ARod says he is ok to play and can prove it. Yanks signed him and I would love for that team to be stuck with paying him what he doesn't deserve. Great laughs!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #437
TheChamp24

The Legend

I don't see why ARod would warrant a lifetime ban. For what? Allegedly taking PED?
It makes no sense to me, he is a great player, or was anyways and now is basically average.
Yankees should suffer the consequences for locking him up on a retarded contract.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #438
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers added some help for their shaky bullpen Monday, acquiring reliever Jose Veras from the Houston Astros for minor league outfielder Danry Vasquez and a player to be named.

Veras is 0-4 with a 2.93 ERA this season, and the 32-year-old right-hander has struck out 44 in 43 innings with only 14 walks.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #439
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Joaquín Benoit has done great taking over the closer role from Jose Valverde, but another arm in the bullpen is always welcome.

Plus, he can be the closer if Benoit falters down the stretch, as Veras is 19/22 in save situations this season for a pitiful Astros team.

I'm not sure if they are planning on using Veras in the 8th inning set up role, or are planning on moving Benoit back to that role.

I think I'd keep Joaquín Benoit in the closer's role the way he has pitched since he took it over.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #440
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Joaquín Benoit has done great taking over the closer role from Jose Valverde, but another arm in the bullpen is always welcome.

Plus, he can be the closer if Benoit falters down the stretch, as Veras is 19/22 in save situations this season for a pitiful Astros team.

I'm not sure if they are planning on using Veras in the 8th inning set up role, or are planning on moving Benoit back to that role.

I think I'd keep Joaquín Benoit in the closer's role the way he has pitched since he took it over.
Astros bullpen was one of the worst (another blown game vs Mariners) and IMO just got worse.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #441
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Im surprised the insurance company responsible for his salary this season (if he doesn't play) doesn't jump in and threaten a lawsuit against the Yankees. I hate ARod but I think Yankees are in the wrong especially if ARod says he is ok to play and can prove it. Yanks signed him and I would love for that team to be stuck with paying him what he doesn't deserve. Great laughs!
tampering, that's why.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #442
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

at seeing a baseball bump.

Training camp > world series.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #443
bombay
Ring of Famer

Cards got swept in Atlanta over the weekend. First time that's happened this season.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #444
bombay
Ring of Famer

So Dodger fans, do you still want Mattingly fired?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #445
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I still don't like him.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #446
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

David Price is extremely nasty right now. He going to get boat load of money next season.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #447
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Boston Red Sox have acquired former Cy Young Award winner Jake Peavy in a three-team deal with the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers, the teams announced late Tuesday night.

Boston sent infielder Jose Iglesias to Detroit, while the White Sox added outfielder Avisail Garcia from the Tigers.

The Red Sox also acquired reliever Brayan Villarreal, who currently is pitching in the minors, from Detroit.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #448
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
he's like Torre, when you win you love him. when you struggle you want him gone.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #449
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
he's like Torre, when you win you love him. when you struggle you want him gone.
I still think his moves cost the team wins early on. Forcing League out as closer when he isn't pitching well was pretty foolish. Nothing will or can be done about it now. I just hope they think about things before they offer him a new contract this off-season.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #450
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I'd have liked to have kept Avisail Garcia in the organization, but with the probable looming suspension of Jhonny Peralta, the Tigers needed to go out and find a shortstop.

Jose Iglesias is batting .330 this season, but I don't expect his average to end up anywhere near that, as Iglesias isn't know for his bat, he's known for playing outstanding defense, something the Tigers could use in the infield.

Jhonny Peralta is having a great year at the plate (.308 average, 28 doubles, 10 HRs, and 53 RBIs), but with a 50 game suspension a probability, they had to make this trade.

Even if Peralta avoids suspension this season, he will be a free agent after the season and isn't being viewed as the opening day starter in Detroit in 2014.

Jose Iglesias is only 23 years old and won't be eligible for free agency until after the 2018 season, so Detroit is viewing him as their shortstop of the future, even if Jhonny Peralta plays the rest of the season.

Even if Jhonny Peralta appealed his suspension, Jose Iglesias could fill in at second base with Omar Infante still out with an ankle injury and he could spell Miguel Cabrera a little down the stretch at third base, with Miggy battling that pesky hip flexor.