The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
BroncosfanGuy

Default Broncofanguy's camp observations. Day 2

went to camp today and these are a few things I noticed:

David Burtoned looked like our best safety. He played with the starting d the entire time from what I could tell and he was quick to the ball in the passing game. He made a real nice play to break up a pass intended for M Ball. That pass was picked by WWIII. He was all over the field and looked much more natural than he ever looked during the season at safety. Mike Adams had a pick and had a solid day in coverage too.

Moreno is bigger. He also got some reps on special teams. And he played exclusively w/ the 2nd team O. He still has real good hands. He put a lot of weight on in his lower body and I think he makes a good 3rd down RB--if I had to guess.

Hillman got 1st crack with the ones and Ball rotated in. Hillman still looks like a change-of-pace back to me, but who knows.

Os was living life to it's fullest after a bit of a rough start. He has a laser rocket arm and his pump fake is quality. He hit Caldwell down the sideline for a huge gain after Caldwell got behind Omar Boldin. He hit Caldwell in stride. Os looks much more confident from the pocket than last preseason, which is expected I suppose.

The base d looked to be 2 gapping quite a bit with Big Vick and Knighton. Those guys along with Sly Williams are HUGE. Nickel D saw Big Vick lined up next to Wolfe on the interior.

No pads, but Von was still unblockable off the edge for Franklin. He's too fast for 1-on-1 blocks. Ayers was eaten up at the point of attack. Phillips backed Von up at DE in nickel looks and he got good consistent pressure off the edge. I think he's going to fit well.

Julius Thomas is huge. And he looked really smooth out there. He looked so good I could write 100+ fluff pieces on it. But this is all I have time for.

Irving played with the 1s. Hard to tell what impact he had since there were no pads. He was quick to diagnose plays and the good news is he's not going to have much trash to fight through with our massive DTs. Stephen Johnson and Stew Bradley were meh. Like I said, hard to tell on the mikes with no pads.

Welker and Manning have a good rapport already.

I wanted to get a good look at Quanterus Smith, but didn't see him on the field at all.

Trevathan and Woodyard played a lot of LB together with the 1s in nickel looks. Trevathan left the field limping toward the end of practice after he and Brootoun attempted to breack up a pass intended for Orange Julius.

As for the end of the roster guys, Greg Orton caught just about everything his way and looked real comfortable out there. He made a good adjustment on a bad ball from Os for a huge gain against Tony Carter. He's a big dude with the legs of Ashley Lelie.

Chris Harris is bigger. And still has a nose for the ball. He pretty much kicks ass.

I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post

David Burtoned...
...And reped
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Honestly this was one of my favorite camp reports ever just for the OM meme's sprinkled in.

And thanks for the Knowshon update. I think a lot of people aren't paying attention to him and I am definitely curious.

Did you get a chance to see how the offensive line is doing?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Great job, thanks for the report. I may be getting a boner for Julius Thomas.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Honestly this was one of my favorite camp reports ever just for the OM meme's sprinkled in.

And thanks for the Knowshon update. I think a lot of people aren't paying attention to him and I am definitely curious.

hard to tell with no pads. Man Ram was playing 1st team C. Vasquez had a false start (Sly Williams jumped offside right after that). Franklin couldn't keep up with Von, but that's not an indictment on Franklin. Phillips got some really good pressure off the edge as a DE against (IIRC) 1st and 2nd team OL.

Thanks for the kind words, guy.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
BroncosfanGuy

also, I forgot to mention, but the O was operating at warp speed out there. I don't know if they were working on the 2 min drill or just the new up-tempo offense. But even if it was a 2 minute drill, the tempo was pretty insane.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

My favorite football thread in a long, long time.

For once, OP is definitely not a homo.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:

I find it interesting he's playing some STs. To me this means they do not want to make him inactive week in and week out until someone misses time.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Because it wasn't you
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Ya I agree with the others. Fantastic thread fanguy
Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Definitely no hamsters in this guys butthole.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
...And reped
Davies Button is a monster out there.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Good stuff man, loved the OM subtleties in it! Thanks for taking the time to fuel the addiction!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

But 3rd down guy at RB? I don't know about that just because Moreno put on weight.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:

David Burtoned looked like our best safety. He played with the starting d the entire time from what I could tell and he was quick to the ball in the passing game. He made a real nice play to break up a pass intended for M Ball. That pass was picked by WWIII. He was all over the field and looked much more natural than he ever looked during the season at safety. Mike Adams had a pick and had a solid day in coverage too.

Moreno is bigger. He also got some reps on special teams. And he played exclusively w/ the 2nd team O. He still has real good hands. He put a lot of weight on in his lower body and I think he makes a good 3rd down RB--if I had to guess.

Hillman got 1st crack with the ones and Ball rotated in. Hillman still looks like a change-of-pace back to me, but who knows.

Os was living life to it's fullest after a bit of a rough start. He has a laser rocket arm and his pump fake is quality. He hit Caldwell down the sideline for a huge gain after Caldwell got behind Omar Boldin. He hit Caldwell in stride. Os looks much more confident from the pocket than last preseason, which is expected I suppose.

The base d looked to be 2 gapping quite a bit with Big Vick and Knighton. Those guys along with Sly Williams are HUGE. Nickel D saw Big Vick lined up next to Wolfe on the interior.

No pads, but Von was still unblockable off the edge for Franklin. He's too fast for 1-on-1 blocks. Ayers was eaten up at the point of attack. Phillips backed Von up at DE in nickel looks and he got good consistent pressure off the edge. I think he's going to fit well.

Julius Thomas is huge. And he looked really smooth out there. He looked so good I could write 100+ fluff pieces on it. But this is all I have time for.

Irving played with the 1s. Hard to tell what impact he had since there were no pads. He was quick to diagnose plays and the good news is he's not going to have much trash to fight through with our massive DTs. Stephen Johnson and Stew Bradley were meh. Like I said, hard to tell on the mikes with no pads.

I wanted to get a good look at Quanterus Smith, but didn't see him on the field at all.

Trevathan and Woodyard played a lot of LB together with the 1s in nickel looks. Trevathan left the field limping toward the end of practice after he and Brootoun attempted to breack up a pass intended for Orange Julius.

As for the end of the roster guys, Greg Orton caught just about everything his way and looked real comfortable out there. He made a good adjustment on a bad ball from Os for a huge gain against Tony Carter. He's a big dude with the legs of Ashley Lelie.

Chris Harris is bigger. And still has a nose for the ball. He pretty much kicks ass.

Rep! And a great report. Thanks and hope to see more.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
But 3rd down guy at RB? I don't know about that just because Moreno put on weight.
yeah, I probably wasn't very clear on that. Moreno's ability in the passing game, the fact that he's the only tried and true pass blocker of the 3 main RBs (at the pro level) combined with Ball and Hillman running with the 1s has me thinking he's going to fit as a 3rd down RB. It's a gut feeling on my part.

Him being bigger was just an observation and doesn't really have anything to do with playing a 3rd down role.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The year of the Burtoned.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Curious Case of David Button
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nickel D saw Big Vick lined up next to Wolfe on the interior.
No Sly? Didn't JDR say he wanted Wolfe to play more end this year?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
No Sly? Didn't JDR say he wanted Wolfe to play more end this year?
It's Sly's second day, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Good stuff. Thanks.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Moreno should just take his job at 3 rd down back. He has proven he can't stay healthy to carry the bell cow but would be a great 3 rd down back with his hands and blocking. He proved me wrong last year that he could be a #1 back with his down the stretch performance he just gets hurt when you need him the most.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
kent156
King of the Ants

how is Webster looking are they playing him at corner and safety?

Last edited by kent156; 07-26-2013 at 06:58 PM..
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
It's Sly's second day, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
First day, he missed day one because of no contract.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote