The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Haliburton are crooks, liars, and cheats

Halliburton admits destroying evidence in Deepwater Horizon disaster

Halliburton Energy Services has agreed to plead guilty and pay the maximum fine for destroying evidence in the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the company and the Justice Department said Thursday.

In a statement, Halliburton chose to highlight what it called "the company's significant and valuable cooperation" in the investigation.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-disaster?lite

Proves that Corporate Crime pays. The $200,000 fine is a drop in the bucket on what additional money Haliburton would have had to pay out in their settlements.

Last edited by Bacchus; 07-26-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Halliburton admits destroying evidence in Deepwater Horizon disaster

Halliburton Energy Services has agreed to plead guilty and pay the maximum fine for destroying evidence in the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the company and the Justice Department said Thursday.

In a statement, Halliburton chose to highlight what it called "the company's significant and valuable cooperation" in the investigation.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-disaster?lite

Proves that Corporate Crime pays. The $200,000 fine is a drop in the bucket on what additional money Haliburton would have had to pay out in their settlements.
The penalties for such things being monetary is a joke. If I destroy evidence or purger myself, I go directly to jail without collecting my $200. Every person involved in this type of thing at Halliburton should be doing jail time.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Nope.

This was just a gross overstatement by the media. Did you SEE the pictures from the Guardian?? That sand was spic and span!

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
The penalties for such things being monetary is a joke. If I destroy evidence or purger myself, I go directly to jail without collecting my $200. Every person involved in this type of thing at Halliburton should be doing jail time.
It really is the joke. The argument is that it's too hard to collect convictable evidence on specific individuals, but that's a cop-out. We need legislation that holds CEOs and board of directors liable for this kind of widespread criminal activity committed by their firms.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
It really is the joke. The argument is that it's too hard to collect convictable evidence on specific individuals, but that's a cop-out. We need legislation that holds CEOs and board of directors liable for this kind of widespread criminal activity committed by their firms.
Seems like a fair recompense since the SCOTUS has given corporations defacto personhood. Your "person" just committed a crime, so the people running that "person" should be held accountable.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Seems like a fair recompense since the SCOTUS has given corporations defacto personhood. Your "person" just committed a crime, so the people running that "person" should be held accountable.
Yep. These thugs just throw their hands in the air and say, "Well, I didn't know!" I guarantee this kind of criminal activity would be greatly reduced if the guys at the top knew that they were going to be held personally responsible.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

For Halliburton, a $200,000 fine is like a reward.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Probably had to have the CEO empty his pockets to get it... Of course, they'll just recoup that $200k (and more) in the next no bid contract they are awarded.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Nope.

This was just a gross overstatement by the media. Did you SEE the pictures from the Guardian?? That sand was spic and span!

Easy there wild tangent. Easy.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Probably had to have the CEO empty his pockets to get it... Of course, they'll just recoup that $200k (and more) in the next no bid contract they are awarded.
I thought those had ended in the Obama age?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...cb4_story.html
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Poor attempt at a diversion: 1/10
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Poor attempt at a diversion: 1/10
Really no point in diverting. Even if they did nothing wrong (I know), if the fine was only $200k, they're smart just to pay it and walk away vs let the feds go on a fishing expedition. $200k wouldn't even cover their likely legal fees from a preliminary investigation. Kinda funny when you think about it.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Of course this small bit of information is left out of this thread .......

Halliburton said it will plead guilty to the criminal charged filed by the Justice Department and pay a fine of $200,000. It also made a voluntary contribution of $55 million to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/

ALso: Halliburton shares up 3.8 % today.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

Halliburton said it will plead guilty to the criminal charged filed by the Justice Department and pay a fine of $200,000. It also made a voluntary contribution of $55 million to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

So, in other words, greed wins the day and all is good?

These people were some of the primary movers and shakers under Cheney who drove us into the totally unnecessary, unfunded and failed war in Iraq (according to the vets who fought there) which cost us a trillion dollars, killed over four thousand Americans, and filled Halliburton's pockets with cash. Now we find out that they lied, cheated and screwed over the Gulf Coast of America, killing more Americans, and you believe that if their stock is climbing, that this is the only barometer Americans need apply? If there was profit it's all good?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

We usually agree but Halliburton & Monsanto are evil personified. Just because you are making money on them does not make them good for us.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So, in other words, greed wins the day and all is good?

These people were some of the primary movers and shakers under Cheney who drove us into the totally unnecessary, unfunded and failed war in Iraq (according to the vets who fought there) which cost us a trillion dollars, killed over four thousand Americans, and filled Halliburton's pockets with cash. Now we find out that they lied, cheated and screwed over the Gulf Coast of America, killing more Americans, and you believe that if their stock is climbing, that this is the only barometer Americans need apply? If there was profit it's all good?
You forgot to mention how they made a lot of that money in Iraq...but following through on your typical "make money at all costs" business plan. A plan which resulted in things like poorly wired electrical in shower rooms leading to potential electrocution of our own troops.

Yaaaay money!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Can't say we weren't warned...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/do-...fter-th,11365/
Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Has everybody forgotten who was president in 2012?

(you know, for me this is a joke, but Ted Nugent really believes it)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
nyuk nyuk

Meh, who didn't destroy evidence in Deepwater Horizon?

I am glad to see the anger at Haliburton again, though. For a while there it oddly died down after O got into office and kept using them.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Nope.

I think damage was overstated. We flew from Tampa to Denver late May 2010 during the spill, skirting the Gulf Coast over Alabama and Mississippi. You'd never know anything was going on.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
I think damage was overstated. We flew from Tampa to Denver late May 2010 during the spill, skirting the Gulf Coast over Alabama and Mississippi. You'd never know anything was going on.
Well, sheeeeeee-it. If you didn't see nuthin', then there weren't nuthin' there!

Goddamn, but you're one stupid MFing SOB.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Well, sheeeeeee-it. If you didn't see nuthin', then there weren't nuthin' there!

Goddamn, but you're one stupid MFing SOB.

I know when I'm curious about the extent of man-made disasters, I usually rely on what I see from a flyover or on vacation or in a British magazine, not, you know, actually living in the region before, during and after the incident.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

I know when I'm curious about the extent of man-made disasters, I usually rely on what I see from a flyover or on vacation or in a British magazine, not, you know, actually living in the region before, during and after the incident.
Not to mention, the majority of the spill emptied down into the abyssal plain below the Caribbean. What it will do there, we haven't a clue.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Not to mention, the majority of the spill emptied down into the abyssal plain below the Caribbean. What it will do there, we haven't a clue.

It's morfing the lizard people as we speak.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote