The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #176
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Didn't know they were coached to provide a huge running lane.............whatever the cause it happened a lot.
You're just remembering Danny Woodhead running circles around Joe Mays. After Mays was benched, Broncos clawed their way to a top 3 run Defense.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #177
delany
Uber Bronco

They should mike up Phillips for the SD game. It would hilarious. Or annoying. Or hilariously annoying.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #178
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

When free agent Shaun Phillips was weighing his NFL options, he wanted to push misery off the scale.

"At this point in my career, I've made some money. I've done that," Phillips said. "So it was really just down to do you go to the team that pays you the most money and you have a miserable season? Or do you go to a team that will take care of you and give you a chance to win?

"I've played nine years. I've been to the Pro Bowl, played in the AFC championship, but I haven't played in a Super Bowl. I want to play and have a chance to win a Super Bowl. You're not going to have that chance if you're the miserable guy in a miserable situation wondering when the season is going to be over. That's not what I'm about."

Phillips narrowed his choices to the Broncos and Houston Texans. Denver's Peyton Manning-powered offense and top-five defense broke the tie.

"There were only two fits in my mind, the Houston Texans and here," Phillips said. "I got offered a nice amount of money to go to Oakland, but that just wasn't for me at this stage. I could have gone other places, but this is the place. You want to be part of something like this."

Attachment 32380

Read more: Shaun Phillips couldn't be happier about signing with Denver Broncos - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2UVhSqgaV
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #179
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Okay. I'm getting used to the concept now.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #180
DENVERDUI55

What did Phillips do in SD against Denver other than pick on the two weak minded people we had in Jay Cutler and MCD? I don't really remember too much other stuff.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #181
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The whole cutler thing. He tried to fight like the whole team and coach when they were coming out of the tunnel before the game.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #182
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
The whole cutler thing. He tried to fight like the whole team and coach when they were coming out of the tunnel before the game.
That is part of the game. The chargers knew how easily it was to push little Jay s fragile ego and get him off his game.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #183
DENVERDUI55

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...142328820.html

Decent article on Phillips and how he needs to step up with Von going up in smoke. Well I should say Von going DOWN in smoke.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #184
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

SP is gonna have to step up with Von out. I also think we'll see improved pass rush just from a few other factors. Such as 2nd year Del Rio here, things should run smoother. Ayers in a contract year. DT's are much improved. Wolfe in his 2nd year.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #185
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I would like to see Shaun Phillips step up while Von is out.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #186
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Charger fans were waiting for Shaun Phillips to step up for seven years...
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #187
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
K.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #188
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We need him to step up and be an adequate backup and reasonable situational producer.

I think expectations were higher in SD, no?

Phillips was a productive player for you, it'd be absurd to argue otherwise. He never became an elite player like maybe some fans hoped, but nobody expects that of him in Denver.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #189
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
We need him to step up and be an adequate backup and reasonable situational producer.

I think expectations were higher in SD, no?

Phillips was a productive player for you, it'd be absurd to argue otherwise. He never became an elite player like maybe some fans hoped, but nobody expects that of him in Denver.
i think JDR will make better use of his skill set than they did in SD.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #190
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Phillips was a great complimentary pass rusher when Merriman was wreaking havoc but never stood out when he had to be the guy.

If he was playing opposite of Miller, I think he could be dangerous, but that's probably more like a couple of years ago before his foot injury.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #191
Bacchus

Quote:
Phillips was a great complimentary pass rusher when Merriman was wreaking havoc but never stood out when he had to be the guy.

If he was playing opposite of Miller, I think he could be dangerous, but that's probably more like a couple of years ago before his foot injury.
He still had 10 sacks last year. We'll take that again and be happy.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #192
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Keep in mind that all sparkler fans talk crap on all players that leaves their team for a better opportunity to actually win somewhere else.
All's you here from them is,
VJack sucks now
Rodney Harrison sucked
LT sucked
Wes Welker sucks
Drew Brees sucks
Micheal Turner sucked
Darren Sproles sucks
Eli Manning su...

Well, you get the picture.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #193
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Keep in mind that all sparkler fans talk crap on all players that leaves their team for a better opportunity to actually win somewhere else.
VJack sucks now
Rodney Harrison sucked
LT sucked
Wes Welker sucks
Drew Brees sucks
Micheal Turner sucked
Darren Sproles sucks
Eli Manning su...

This is so true. Every time they've released or not re-signed one of these guys they've come in here shouting "good riddens!" Michael Turner isn't that good. Brees "never did anything" and was the "real" reason for their post season failures. Rodney Harrison was done. Vincent Jackson was a product of Rivers. Even with Brees the most you can get them to admit is "they didn't have any other choice." Ok.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #194
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This is so true. Every time they've released or not re-signed one of these guys they've come in here shouting "good riddens!" Michael Turner isn't that good. Brees "never did anything" and was the "real" reason for their post season failures. Rodney Harrison was done. Vincent Jackson was a product of Rivers. Even with Brees the most you can get them to admit is "they didn't have any other choice." Ok.
It's an epic list, but except for Welker those players all left for financial reasons. And Welker passed through waivers, so as dumb as that move turned out to be, 31 other teams passed as well. That doesn't make the Chargers smart, far from it, but those cases are different from Shaun Phillips, who simply wore out his welcome.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #195
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you're into more advanced metrics, he had one of the bottom three pass rushing efficiencies in the league. I don't have Pro Football Focus anymore, but it was like 23 hurries in 380 attempts or something like that. Run D sucked too.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #196
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
If you're into more advanced metrics, he had one of the bottom three pass rushing efficiencies in the league. I don't have Pro Football Focus anymore, but it was like 23 hurries in 380 attempts or something like that. Run D sucked too.
I guess we will just have to wait and see how Phillips does with the Broncos. It does sound like he's excited for the season and sometimes just a change of scenery can re-ignite a career.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #197
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
It's an epic list, but except for Welker those players all left for financial reasons. And Welker passed through waivers, so as dumb as that move turned out to be, 31 other teams passed as well. That doesn't make the Chargers smart, far from it, but those cases are different from Shaun Phillips, who simply wore out his welcome.
Right. Finanacial reasons. Sure.
Oh, and winning Super Bowls never hurt either.
The majority of players on that list went on to win....BIG.
Thats why they left. Cause winning championships matters.
SD is the only team i know of that has had 2 SB MVP winning QBs on their team and yet they still somehow dont have any rings.
How do you F that up!?!?!?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #198
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I guess we will just have to wait and see how Phillips does with the Broncos. It does sound like he's excited for the season and sometimes just a change of scenery can re-ignite a career.
Well, Mays was excited to start last year too and we know how that turned out.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #199
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
VJack sucks now
Rodney Harrison sucked
LT sucked
Wes Welker sucks
Drew Brees sucks
Micheal Turner sucked
Darren Sproles sucks
Eli Manning su...

Hmm, I've never trashed those players on the way out. Brees was a bit of a strange one. He definitely flashed potential here but never came close to reaching it until he got united with Sean Payton. Aside from Harrison, the other guys left because of money (you can blame the GM or ownership on that) but it wasn't because they sucked.

Phillips was a very good player for the Chargers considering his draft position (4th round pick). They definitely got their money's worth with him. He's just was never able to break past being just a "good" player and there's nothing wrong with that (he's had a nice career). But even in his prime, there is no way he could come close to filling Von Miller's shoes. It's just physically not possible.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #200
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
But even in his prime, there is no way he could come close to filling Von Miller's shoes. It's just physically not possible.
I don't think anyone is expecting anything even close to that. Maybe go_broncos who still wishes we had Tebow and Hillis on the team...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote