The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Tar Sands spill in alberta that no one knows how to stop.

http://grist.org/news/no-one-knows-h...ds-oil-spills/

Welcome to the future of dino powered economies. As the "easy to access" sweet crude dries up, it'll become more profitable to do more risky things like trying to extract underground tar sands, which will result in messes like this.

“This is a new kind of oil spill and there is no ‘off button,’” said Keith Stewart, an energy analyst with Greenpeace who teaches a course on energy policy and environment at the University of Toronto. “You can’t cap it like a conventional oil well or turn off a valve on a pipeline.

“You are pressurizing the oil bed so hard that it’s no wonder that it blows out. This means that the oil will continue to leak until the well is no longer pressurized,” which means the bitumen could be seeping from the ground for months.

Let's inject pressurized steam into the ground to liquify the tar so we can suck it up. What? No way to release the pressure should something go wrong? Pfht, stand aside there's money to be made!

Last edited by Fedaykin; 07-24-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Of course, when they build the Keystone pipeline, they'll be extra safe and careful. "Trust us."

I think that's what BP said about deep Gulf drilling.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
http://grist.org/news/no-one-knows-h...ds-oil-spills/

Welcome to the future of dino powered economies. As the "easy to access" sweet crude dries up, it'll become more profitable to do more risky things like trying to extract underground tar sands, which will result in messes like this.

“This is a new kind of oil spill and there is no ‘off button,’” said Keith Stewart, an energy analyst with Greenpeace who teaches a course on energy policy and environment at the University of Toronto. “You can’t cap it like a conventional oil well or turn off a valve on a pipeline.

“You are pressurizing the oil bed so hard that it’s no wonder that it blows out. This means that the oil will continue to leak until the well is no longer pressurized,” which means the bitumen could be seeping from the ground for months.

Let's inject pressurized steam into the ground to liquify the tar so we can suck it up. What? No way to release the pressure should something go wrong? Pfht, stand aside there's money to be made!
Great .... an opinion from a left wing liberal Greenpeace professor .....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Great .... an opinion from a left wing liberal Greenpeace professor .....
Nice ad hominem, and sad inability to differentiate between an opinion and a fact being relayed.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
B-Large

Petroleum will fail to dominate the energy markets when it is neither fiscally or environmentally prudent to extract it.

I am going to bet price will phase out oil much quicker than environmental issues...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Nice ad hominem, and sad inability to differentiate between an opinion and a fact being relayed.
Right nothing but the facts from an energy analyst with Greenpeace ........... he has no dog in this fight.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Right nothing but the facts from an energy analyst with Greenpeace ........... he has no dog in this fight.
Didn't say that. Try again.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

It's really cool when you can force your kid to promote Greenpeace and the gays at the same time, maybe we can put a little tar sand in his hair too.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's really cool when you can force your kid to promote Greenpeace and the gays at the same time, maybe we can put a little tar sand in his hair too.
And now we're just off to non-sequitur land. Typical.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Care to address specific points in the article, Mr. Environmental Scientist?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Imagine what the oil companies would do if organizations like Greenpeace didn't exist?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Let's try the rightie way of solving this, ignore it and less regulation! right pony?

Blaze erupts on Gulf of Mexico rig after natural gas blowout

A fire erupted on a drilling rig off the Louisiana coast that was surrounded by a “major cloud of gas” after it experienced a blowout, officials said late Tuesday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...s-blowout?lite
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Let's try the rightie way of solving this, ignore it and less regulation! right pony?
Could be worse. Could use more regulation to arbitrarily reward friends and harass enemies.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post

Blaze erupts on Gulf of Mexico rig after natural gas blowout

A fire erupted on a drilling rig off the Louisiana coast that was surrounded by a “major cloud of gas” after it experienced a blowout, officials said late Tuesday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...s-blowout?lite

Unless of course it's on their land. Then all of a sudden it's 'somebody should be protecting us from this sort of thing'.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-sp...ends_in_m.html

BP oil spill cleanup ending in Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, Coast Guard and BP say

http://apr.org/post/cause-exxon-oil-...-investigation

Cause Of Exxon Oil Spill In Arkansas Under Investigation
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Unless of course it's on their land. Then all of a sudden it's 'somebody should be protecting us from this sort of thing'.
Interesting that you say that, as the story alkemical linked below says exactly that. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, three of the more conservative states you'll find, are contesting the idea that the area is "cleaned" and are still lawyering for more federal funding for cleanup efforts. Yet Beavis said these spills were always overstated, and damage was far less extensive than the media would have you believe.

So which is it guys? Why would conservative state officials be overstating damage so they can get more of those beloved federal tax dollars they hate so much?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Why would conservative state officials be overstating damage so they can get more of those beloved federal tax dollars
Your question answers itself.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Your question answers itself.
It may. But for those of us who have lived it or seen it firsthand, the damage isn't ever "overstated".

And then there's you.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
It may. But for those of us who have lived it or seen it firsthand, the damage isn't ever "overstated".

And then there's you.
"I saw something once, therefore nothing is ever exaggerated."

Makes sense.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...007428,00.html
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
"I saw something once, therefore nothing is ever exaggerated."

Makes sense.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...007428,00.html
"I don't like paying for things and I want cheaper oil, therefore EVERYTHING is exaggerated."

Makes sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
"I don't like paying for things and I want cheaper oil, therefore EVERYTHING is exaggerated."

Makes sense.
Don't think I ever said everything is exaggerated. I just happen to think that when people at large operate out of fear, especially within fear of the unknown... exaggeration is often the most likely first reaction.

A semi-related but interesting read.

http://www.independent.org/events/transcript.asp?id=111
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Don't think I ever said everything is exaggerated. I just happen to think that when people at large operate out of fear, especially within fear of the unknown... exaggeration is often the most likely first reaction.

A semi-related but interesting read.

http://www.independent.org/events/transcript.asp?id=111
And yet, just like everything else, you invent a premise, then find evidence to support it.

The fact of the matter is that there are those of us who have experienced the effects firsthand (myself being one of them), and who have lived for extended periods of time in affected communities (myself being one of them). What I'm telling you is that you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

For the millionth time, go to some of these places you're talking out of your ass about and see for yourself. Try telling the residents they're exaggerating. See what kind of response you get.

Post a video, if you can. We'd all enjoy the laugh.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
And yet, just like everything else, you invent a premise, then find evidence to support it.

The fact of the matter is that there are those of us who have experienced the effects firsthand (myself being one of them), and who have lived for extended periods of time in affected communities (myself being one of them). What I'm telling you is that you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

For the millionth time, go to some of these places you're talking out of your ass about and see for yourself. Try telling the residents they're exaggerating. See what kind of response you get.

Post a video, if you can. We'd all enjoy the laugh.
Been on the gulf coast numerous times since the predicted apocalypse. Can't say much that was predicted came to pass.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Been on the gulf coast numerous times since the predicted apocalypse. Can't say much that was predicted came to pass.
You mean like local business owners losing business and tourism going through the floor? Let me guess...it was all concocted.

Bull****, you've never been there.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

So, this thread went full retard in near record time.
Eldorado is online now   Reply With Quote