The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #2676
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Same BS every single year from KC. All the preseason hype then come excuses about mid season and the fire everyone talk.
People outside of KC are the one's talking us up. Herm, Teddy Bruschi, Billick, Peter King and of course Pioli (because he built a lot of the current team).

Do you expect fans to not get excited when big media heads like their team?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #2677
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
People outside of KC are the one's talking us up. Herm, Teddy Bruschi, Billick, Peter King and of course Pioli (because he built a lot of the current team).

and how did that work out for you guys last season? The big hype became one of the worst teams ever since the merger.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #2678
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

Does last year ring a bell? Same guys saying same thing last year.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #2679
Rolandftw

Quote:
A lot of this is attributed to the offense. Your offense was on the field a lot and rarely put your defense in a bad position. They put them in great positions to pin their ears back.

Our defense was on the field all game long all year. The defense was always tired because the offense could never create quality drives. We didn't have a lead until halfway through the season, so our 2 pass rushers never got to pin their ears back. I heard this morning that Justin Houston was one of 5 LB's in the NFL last year that played 1,000 snaps.

Can't imagine that kind of pressure to hold offenses at bay when your QB turns the ball over 3 times as often as he throws TD's.
While there is some truth to what you say, KC's defensive stats are not bad last year only because they were on the field a lot. There have been other teams that have been on the field as much, if not more, that didn't allow offenses to put up the numbers that KC did.

Look at Denver in 2011, with Tebow and Orton and compare it to Cassel and Quinn in 2012.

2011 Broncos

Rushing 4.1 YPA 13th
Passing 7.5 20th
Turnovers 18 28th
3rd Down 33.5 6th
Tackles 1023 23rd
Sacks 42.0 9th
TOP 29:43 23rd
Off Turnovers 30

2012 Chiefs

Rushing 4.5 YPA 23rd
Passing 8.0 YPA 30th
Turnovers 13 31st
3rd Down 39.1 19th
Tackles 927 32nd
Sacks 27 29th
TOP 30:20 24th
Off Turnovers 37

Denver was on the field just as much in 2011 as KC was in 2012, yet that didn't stop their pass rushers from having a lot of sacks. They had more tackles, a better 3rd down efficiency, and gave up less yards per rush and pass attempts. KC did commit more turnovers, but were the 7 turnovers over a 16 game span really the only difference between the two defense?

KC has some really good pieces defensively, but a lot of them were recognized more for past achievements then good on field play last year (really, Derrick Johnson is probably about the only exception defensively)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #2680
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
and how did that work out for you guys last season? The big hype became one of the worst teams ever since the merger.
The worst pieces of that team by were the QB and HC/coaching staff, but now they are gone and replacing them is one of the most efficient QB's of the last 2 years and a HC who only has 3 losing seasons in his 14 year career.

No reason why fans can't think our team can compete on the field this year and be a pretty solid team.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #2681
FearLanier

Quote:
Does last year ring a bell? Same guys saying same thing last year.
A lot of big media heads picked Denver to represent the AFC in the SB and it just didn't happen for you guys. Does that mean you have no chance this year since they feel the same way?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #2682
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
A lot of big media heads picked Denver to represent the AFC in the SB and it just didn't happen for you guys. Does that mean you have no chance this year since they feel the same way?
Not many picked Denver in the preseason. Show me a link to one actually. Now back to the point what does that have to do with Chief fans thinking every single year that their team will be good? Hell there are some idiot chief homer that says Smith is better than Manning.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #2683
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Do the Chiefs still suck?

Why, yes. Yes they do.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #2684
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
The worst pieces of that team by were the QB and HC/coaching staff, but now they are gone and replacing them is one of the most efficient QB's of the last 2 years and a HC who only has 3 losing seasons in his 14 year career.

No reason why fans can't think our team can compete on the field this year and be a pretty solid team.
Efficient QB? He's been one of the worst in the league in 3rd down conversions. Extremely horrible at converting a 3rd and long. In 2011 they ranked 31st in 3rd down conversions. Alot of that was directly on Smith.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 07-25-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2685
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Herm Edwards? Scott Pioli? I put zero stock in their opinions. Who gives a rip what Bruschi or Billick think? They get paid to talk, that's what they do.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #2686
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:

They were the sexy pick to win it all last year as well. Hub Arkush (of PFW) lost any remaining respect I had for him when he picked kFc to win it all last year.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #2687
FearLanier

Quote:
Not many picked Denver in the preseason. Show me a link to one actually. Now back to the point what does that have to do with Chief fans thinking every single year that their team will be good? Hell there are some idiot chief homer that says Smith is better than Manning.
I think that you know just as much as I do that every fanbase has a few delusional fans.

The majority of our fanbase thinks we can have a pretty decent team this year. Probably around 7 or 8 wins.

I live in KC and I don't see hardly any people or media members proclaiming that we're going to be an elite team, especially after last year. It's more like cautious optimism.

I notice you guys always bring up Chiefsplanet (are they the rival board?). It's hard for me to believe that there are Chiefs homers when I see threads like this.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270480
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2688
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
They were the sexy pick to win it all last year as well. Hub Arkush (of PFW) lost any remaining respect I had for him when he picked kFc to win it all last year.
Who is Hub Arkush? Because he's the only person I know of that said we were going all the way. Most people just said we would win the division last year.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #2689
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
A lot of this is attributed to the offense. Your offense was on the field a lot and rarely put your defense in a bad position. They put them in great positions to pin their ears back.

Our defense was on the field all game long all year. The defense was always tired because the offense could never create quality drives. We didn't have a lead until halfway through the season, so our 2 pass rushers never got to pin their ears back. I heard this morning that Justin Houston was one of 5 LB's in the NFL last year that played 1,000 snaps.

Can't imagine that kind of pressure to hold offenses at bay when your QB turns the ball over 3 times as often as he throws TD's.
you know what? I'll give you this one. In another thread, I made a claim that the 24th ranked Bronco D in 2011 was better than their stats indicated because of poor QB play. Guess what - 2012 KC D was very similar statistically.

I wouldn't expect the same turnaround though - we upgraded to PFM and you made a lateral move with Alex Smith (3 career 300 yard passing games in 77 starts).
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #2690
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Not saying the Chiefs are better in most categories. I'm saying that the Broncos are not easily better in the other position groups.
Come on now. The Broncos are stacked right now. They've put in all their chips for the Manning window. The Chiefs have been in some bizarre pseudo rebuild for years now but haven't really moved foward.

You could go down the list, starter vs starter and most people would take the Bronco player over the Chief player at just about every position.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2691
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
The Chiefs have been in some bizarre pseudo rebuild for years now but haven't really moved foward.
They're still rebuilding from their last rebuilding process.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #2692
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Come on now. The Broncos are stacked right now. They've put in all their chips for the Manning window. The Chiefs have been in some bizarre pseudo rebuild for years now but haven't really moved foward.

You could go down the list, starter vs starter and most people would take the Bronco player over the Chief player at just about every position.
Except for QB obv. Alex Smith is way more consistent. He didn't throw any ints in the playoffs last year.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #2693
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Broncosteven, don't you realize this is Chiefs camp?

KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #2694
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Broncosteven, don't you realize this is Chiefs camp?

Wow, look at the tens of people lining up to watch Chiefs training camp.

Maybe even dozens.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #2695
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Wow, look at the tens of people lining up to watch Chiefs training camp.

Maybe even dozens.
That picture gives me chills, you can just feel the excitement of the fans, and the atmosphere has something special about it. I may be going out on a limb here, but based on the enthusiasm I'm picking up, the Cheifs are gonna win 5 games this year. I know, I know, I sound absolutely crazy, but you can feel it! Can't you? That old guy, yes that one there, he's the last person in his family to see the Cheifs win a Super Bowl, and his son is the only other person in the family to see the Cheifs win a playoff game; that's special. Andy Reid is a fat man, but every lipid in his body breaths excellence!
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #2696
lolcopter

bumping this. I just checked and it's been confirmed that the chiefs still suck
Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #2697
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Thank god they put up those baracades. Would have been chaos.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #2698
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Thank god they put up those baracades. Would have been chaos.
Chiefs fans = Cattle
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #2699
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Remember when we kicked your ass the last time we played you?
I do know that in the last 4 games the Queefs haven't even scored 30 total points.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #2700
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Geno Smith is going to be a badass. Even better than RGIII.
Quote:
Romeo and Pioli are both going to be fired and kicked out of town.
A new dawn is coming.
The Chiefs will draft Geno Smith and rule the AFC West for the next 15 years.
Good job fatboy!