The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: Mickelson wins British Open

66 on Sunday in tough conditions, clinching his 5th major.

Further solidifies him as one of the all time greats, just brilliant.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I was going to turn that on at 1 and watch it. Guess there's no point now.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I was going to turn that on at 1 and watch it. Guess there's no point now.
Its worth watching. Did you tape it? I love the Brittish open for the fact it is on in the mornings. It was a classic all time great final round by Phil that will be up there with Jack's 86 masters.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 07-21-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Props to Phil....he has his moments when nobody can play like he does, good and bad, but when he plays like he did today, it's a lot of fun to watch and root for him.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Its worth watching. Did you tape it? I love the Brittish open for the fact it is on in the mornings.
I agree....I slept in today, but it was nice waking up and lying there watching the contenders play the back nine.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Don't watch golf but like Mickelson because he is left handed. Remember when he was the guy that choked the majors and was rediculed for it?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Phil is a legend.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Phil is now on list of 14 guys to win 5 Majors throughout time. I can't express to you how awesome this is. He might not win another one, which made today really special. Only Tom Watson winning a few years ago would have ever been better. Congrats Phil. You're one of the greatest ever.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Phil is now on list of 14 guys to win 5 Majors throughout time. I can't express to you how awesome this is. He might not win another one, which made today really special. Only Tom Watson winning a few years ago would have ever been better. Congrats Phil. You're one of the greatest ever.
Having won the British Open today, I think this now propels Phil into a US Open or bust mentality, in order to complete his career grand slam. We all know how well he plays in the US Open, having come in 2nd place like 5 or 6 times now. And now with winning that tournament that we all and even himself thought was really not going to happen, he's got to be even more motivated now to get that US Open.

He really is one of the greatest of all time. I mean, he's got 5 majors and he's absolutely thrown away 2, which he should honestly have at minimum 7.

I don't think he's done though. He's got so much skill and his power isn't showing any signs of slowing or fading. I'd say he's got another good 4 or 5 years at which he can play excellent golf every year.

I think he'll end up with 6, maybe 7 but no more and no less.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

After that win, Phil is a top 15 "Best Of All Time" player.

If Phil wins just 1 more major, even if it's not the US Open (to give him a career grand slam), he will be in the top 10.

This is cool. Back to the good ole days when Tiger and Phil were both #1 and #2 in the world. You couldn't ask for anything more then that, as far as TV ratings go.

If Phil wins 1 more major, this is what your top 10 would look like:

Nicklaus
Woods
Snead
Hogan
Jones
Palmer
Player
Watson
Nelson
Mickleson

Last edited by ZONA; 07-22-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
After that win, Phil is a top 15 "Best Of All Time" player.

If Phil wins just 1 more major, even if it's not the US Open (to give him a career grand slam), he will be in the top 10.

This is cool. Back to the good ole days when Tiger and Phil were both #1 and #2 in the world. You couldn't ask for anything more then that, as far as TV ratings go.

If Phil wins 1 more major, this is what your top 10 would look like:

Nicklaus
Woods
Snead
Hogan
Jones
Palmer
Player
Watson
Nelson
Mickelson
Did you see any of the recent comparisons between Phil and Tiger? Tiger is obviously getting out performed. And since turning 33 they are neck-and-neck with each other in Majors.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Did you see any of the recent comparisons between Phil and Tiger? Tiger is obviously getting out performed. And since turning 33 they are neck-and-neck with each other in Majors.
Can only imagine if Phil could have just got even half of those 2nd place finishes at the US Open to go his way. He'd be sitting at 8 right now. Tiger is playing much better the last 18 months or so. He's won 4 times this year. He just can't get anything going on the weekend in the majors.

How about Mcleroy. Dude is seriously falling apart, David Duval style. The great thing about Phil is, all the swing experts say he's got a swing that will serve him well into his late 40's. It's not some fast violent movement that would cause injury. I did notice, however, that Butch has shorted his backswing some and that new lofted driver/frankenwood is really helping him out. Driving was always his biggest weakness and he seems to slow but surely, with that new wood, getting better at that.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Can only imagine if Phil could have just got even half of those 2nd place finishes at the US Open to go his way. He'd be sitting at 8 right now. Tiger is playing much better the last 18 months or so. He's won 4 times this year. He just can't get anything going on the weekend in the majors.

How about Mcleroy. Dude is seriously falling apart, David Duval style. The great thing about Phil is, all the swing experts say he's got a swing that will serve him well into his late 40's. It's not some fast violent movement that would cause injury. I did notice, however, that Butch has shorted his backswing some and that new lofted driver/frankenwood is really helping him out. Driving was always his biggest weakness and he seems to slow but surely, with that new wood, getting better at that.
****ing Wingfoot.

I think it started for Rory having woman on the brain and now it's a confidence thing.

I can't remember exactly but the second 3 wood on 17 he went beyond parallel maybe I am thinking of an iron shot. I think the biggest thing was keeping his cool on 16 and nutting up for the par. The putter was hot too...all day.

Imagine if Jack had won half those 2nd place finishes in Majors. He'd have 27. David did some coverage and they asked him about Rory I think. I had to leave the room.