The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #51
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Reid is a fine coach, why would anyone argue that. Fox is a fine coach as well. Fox is too conservative and Reid abandon's the run too early, which is funny because with Smith at QB they will need to pound the ball early and often.

The best coach inthe division might turnout to be McCoy. Of course we will not know about that for two years or so.
I really hope You're joking. McCoy the best coach. His playcalling ability is on par with a peewee football coach.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #52
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I really hope You're joking. McCoy the best coach. His playcalling ability is on par with a peewee football coach.
He called the plays for Tim Tebow that got Denver into the playoffs. No other coach in the history of the NFL will be able to say that other than him.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #53
Rolandftw

The problem with Reid is you don't know what coach you are getting. Is it the guy that went to 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl in his first 6 years? Or is it the guy that's without a playoff win in 6 of the last 8 years?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #54
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
The problem with Reid is you don't know what coach you are getting. Is it the guy that went to 5 NFC Championship games and 1 Super Bowl in his first 6 years? Or is it the guy that's without a playoff win in 6 of the last 8 years?
Depends on the DC. His teams were never really the same once Jim Johnson passed away.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #55
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Depends on the DC. His teams were never really the same once Jim Johnson passed away.
They were never the same without McNabb in his prime either. Reid isn't this QB guru as he is always touted to be.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Both of those are legitimate concerns as well.

Is Reid overrated because of Jim Johnson and McNabb? What has his success been like without the two of them?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

There's so many unknows about kc. Reid has been very mediocre withouth McNabb and Johnson. He's bringing in a QB who is the epitome of average. Supposedly kc has some talent but none of that matters if the team doesn't gell or buy into Reid's system. I can see this team going 2-14 again. I can also see them going maybe 8-8. Too many unknowns.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #58
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There's so many unknows about kc. Reid has been very mediocre withouth McNabb and Johnson. He's bringing in a QB who is the epitome of average. Supposedly kc has some talent but none of that matters if the team doesn't gell or buy into Reid's system. I can see this team going 2-14 again. I can also see them going maybe 8-8. Too many unknowns.
I think a lot of this had to do with circumstance. Alex Smith was drafted into a terrible team. The talent was just not there. This "great" OL they had was non-existent until 2010, even though their 2 rookies were still getting acclimated to the NFL game at that point.
It also severely hurts a QB when there is a new OC with a new system every single year. There's no consistency at all.

This is a great situation for Alex to be in. Reid has always made QB's look their best and we have some good weapons for him to use in Bowe and Charles (I think Charles is the best weapon he's ever had in his career).

Alex Smith was 1st in accuracy, top 10 in yards per completion average, top 10 in NFL total QBR. He was also on pace to score 24 TD's last year, good for 13th.
I'd say that's above average.

Reid is going to be far more aggressive. Heard this on our local station. His plan isn't to have Alex throw deep all the time like people think. He's going to throw short and intermediate passes most of the time. He was very good doing that in SF. Don't see why he can't be good with Reid if he throws more of the same passes.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #59
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
I think a lot of this had to do with circumstance. Alex Smith was drafted into a terrible team. The talent was just not there. This "great" OL they had was non-existent until 2010, even though their 2 rookies were still getting acclimated to the NFL game at that point.
It also severely hurts a QB when there is a new OC with a new system every single year. There's no consistency at all.

This is a great situation for Alex to be in. Reid has always made QB's look their best and we have some good weapons for him to use in Bowe and Charles (I think Charles is the best weapon he's ever had in his career).

Alex Smith was 1st in accuracy, top 10 in yards per completion average, top 10 in NFL total QBR. He was also on pace to score 24 TD's last year, good for 13th.
I'd say that's above average.

Reid is going to be far more aggressive. Heard this on our local station. His plan isn't to have Alex throw deep all the time like people think. He's going to throw short and intermediate passes most of the time. He was very good doing that in SF. Don't see why he can't be good with Reid if he throws more of the same passes.
Like I said, it all sounds good in theory but until it actaully comes to fruition, it means nada. Alex Smith had talent to work with in SF, the cupboards were not bare by any means.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #60
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Alex Smith also got the hook in SF. If he was so great, why did that happen?

Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick to replace Smith and he finally pulled the trigger last year.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
Rolandftw

Don't think Smith was drafted in any worse of a situation then the typical #1 pick. Yeah, 49ers weren't very talented in his early years there, but neither were the Colts last year. He's probably an average to slightly above average QB. If KC has a great offensive line, then he'll probably be fine. Not going to lose games for KC but probably doesn't win many. Perhaps a suped up version of Kyle Orton.

Going to be on KC's defense to keep them in games. And I'm in the camp that they are at best average defensively. They don't get a lot of sacks, force a lot of turnovers and for as often as they are on the field, would think they wouldn't be last in the league in tackles. They have some talented players, but there are a lot of holes on their defense. Talented teams will have little trouble finding them.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #62
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
How is Fox a better HC than Reid?
Fox won with Tebow at QB. Reid couldn't win with McNabb,Vick or Foles more recently.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #63
DENVERDUI55

I don't understand why Reid is considered a QB guru. He had Mcnabb and half of a decent year with Vick. The rest were average or worse. Kolb, Rutgers QB who's name slips me, Foles, AJ Feeley. He is good at hiding a QB's weaknesses kind of like Shanny did and that will get you 8 to 9 wins but not much more.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #64
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I stopped reading at Freeney, what a joke
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #65
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFiend View Post
Manning, Thomas, Welker, Vasquez, Clady, Miller, Bailey

isn't that 7? hmmmm
I dont know much about vasquez but those are 6 players that either are now or have recently been in the top 3 in the NFL at their position, most of who could be considered the best. Ill take it.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #66
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Alex Smith also got the hook in SF. If he was so great, why did that happen?

Harbaugh drafted Kaepernick to replace Smith and he finally pulled the trigger last year.
Harbaugh had no ties with Alex Smith. This happens all the time. No way was Kaepernick ready his rookie season.

Very rare that a QB doing that well for your team gets pulled. They were an OT loss away from the SB the year before and the 49ers were I believe 7-2 when Alex Smtih got his concussion ultimately leading to being benched.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #67
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I don't understand why Reid is considered a QB guru. He had Mcnabb and half of a decent year with Vick. The rest were average or worse. Kolb, Rutgers QB who's name slips me, Foles, AJ Feeley. He is good at hiding a QB's weaknesses kind of like Shanny did and that will get you 8 to 9 wins but not much more.
He also went on a big run with Jeff Garcia the year McNabb got hurt and won a playoff game with him.

McNabb, Garcia, Kolb and Vick all looked better than they ever have under him.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #68
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
He also went on a big run with Jeff Garcia the year McNabb got hurt and won a playoff game with him.

McNabb, Garcia, Kolb and Vick all looked better than they ever have under him.
Garcia wasn't better than he was in San Francisco. He was a good QB that wasted away on bad football teams and looked good on a good philly team. Reid is good at masking weaknesses but he isn't this guru that can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. Other than McNabb all his hand picked prospects tanked.