The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I say we send all their jobs overseas and cut off their food stamps. That''ll teach 'em.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
The problem doesn't lie with the truly poor and low income. It lies with the policies, rules, and regulations. It has created enormous fraud abilities and also enables some to not try harder to be self sufficient.
Its no different than Medicaid, there is probably alot of fraud and people getting beneifts that really should not - I don't think looking into that program and making changes is unreasonable- like someone else posted, it will get passed and funded, just in time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
It appears the current strategy is the Conservative circles is that if you say it is going to falling apart, not be implemented and repealed enough, magic will happen and make it so. My father is law is convince it is about the be repealed... I asked him how they do that, repeal a law... he didn't know how that is done for any law.. no use arguing further

Look, I can't debate the merit of the plan with people who refuse to discuss the facts and reality of the Law implementation.
Well, I know when I'm confused, I just post drunk. That always seems to work.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Well, I know when I'm confused, I just post drunk. That always seems to work.
I am posting drunk right now... Pretty coherent, huh?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I am posting drunk right now... Pretty coherent, huh?
No. Really?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,332

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-far...gwn&.sep=table
Yahoo! News

FILE - In this Sept. 11, 2010 file photo, Temeka Williams, right, of Detroit, uses her EBT/Bridge Card tokens for a purchase from Elizabeth and Gary Lauber from Sweet Delights at the Farmer's Market in Detroit. House approval of a scaled-back farm bill is setting up what could be an even bigger fight over food stamps and the role of domestic food aid in the United States. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio, File)
FACT CHECK: Farm bill doesn't end food stamps
.
Associated Press MARY CLARE JALONICK 5 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — One after another, angry Democrats took to the House floor to say Republicans would increase hunger in America by stripping food stamps from the farm bill.

In reality, though, the bill passed by the House on Thursday didn't deal with food stamps at all. And the lack of congressional action on food stamps could keep the $80 billion-a-year program untouched by any cuts.

That didn't stop several Democrats from stating that the legislation "takes food nutrition from working families." House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told Republicans just before the bill passed on a narrow 216-208 vote: "You are taking food out of the mouths of your own poor constituents."
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
It is very much the reality. SNAP rules and regulations have become so lax ANYBODY could go in and get 2 months worth of food stamps.

You think there are a lot of missing fathers? Check out the food stamp doles. Not eligible or eligible for only minimal food stamps because of Daddy's income? Suddenly daddy is gone. They put a time limit, requirements, and multiple restrictions on financial assistance and there has been a significant decrease. The same needs to be done. Who chose to have those children? Yep, about time they took responsibility and yes that might mean some hard work. Boohoo.
I know several couples who have multiple kids together and live in huge new houses (Texas), but don't "legally" get married so the wife and kids can stay on foodstamps and medicaid.

Last edited by pricejj; 07-12-2013 at 10:48 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I say we send all their jobs overseas and cut off their food stamps. That''ll teach 'em.
Yep! Screw the poors! Meanwhile, let's please make sure we get the farm subsidies passed so that all the unfortunate wealthy landowners and corporations don't get hurt any more than they already are... and oh yeah, some members of congress also get those subsidies, so there's that.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #34
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I know several couples who have multiple kids together and live in huge new houses (Texas), but don't "legally" get married so the wife and kids can stay on foodstamps and medicaid.
Yeah you personally know "several" families that have huge new houses and do this. I'm calling bs.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #35
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Here come the Cadillac welfare queens!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #36
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Its no different than Medicaid, there is probably alot of fraud and people getting beneifts that really should not - I don't think looking into that program and making changes is unreasonable- like someone else posted, it will get passed and funded, just in time.
The restrictions put on Medicaid have eliminated a lot of fraud there, especially in regards to citizenship and the low income limits.

No, I do not think food stamps will or should be eliminated. But, as you said, the rules need to be changed. Some need to know there are no more entitlements and they are responsible for themselves and their families. I have no problem with assisting, but I don't feel we, the taxpayers, need to take on the responsibility some of these people are unwilling to take themselves.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #37
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah you personally know "several" families that have huge new houses and do this. I'm calling bs.
Well, he may not really, but I definitely do. I know women who live with boyfriends who make excellent money, but because they are not married they can stay on it. But they cannot have children in common or they do have to count boyfriends income. Of course some women have discovered that not putting boyfriends name on the birth certificate or giving the child daddy's last name they can keep the benefits too.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #38
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Well, he may not really, but I definitely do. I know women who live with boyfriends who make excellent money, but because they are not married they can stay on it. But they cannot have children in common or they do have to count boyfriends income. Of course some women have discovered that not putting boyfriends name on the birth certificate or giving the child daddy's last name they can keep the benefits too.
They have to count the boyfriend's income if they purchase and prepare meals with him, whether they have kids together or not. If they are taking advantage of the system illegally then they should be reported, so that the money can go to those who truly need it. This is not a loophole, it's breaking the law.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #39
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
They have to count the boyfriend's income if they purchase and prepare meals with him, whether they have kids together or not. If they are taking advantage of the system illegally then they should be reported, so that the money can go to those who truly need it. This is not a loophole, it's breaking the law.
Ya think? Hell yes it's breaking the law. But a lot of these people know the rules and regulations as well as the workers and hell no they aren't going to say they purchase and prepare meals together. Friends and family aren't going to turn her in unless she pisses them off.

We know he's the father because she's been on assistance for 3 years, living with him the whole time. And we can't turn her in because we have no proof, his name is not on the birth certificate. But for food stamps she doesn't have to name the father. That's only if she's on financial or medical assistance and for medical if she doesn't name the father they only take the medical away from her, not the kids, UNLESS she becomes pregnant, then she can still get it.

But two funny stories. Woman collecting benefits for 2 children who she never put daddy's name on birth certificate. He dies. She cannot collect his social security for kids, no proof they are his. Nor can she collect for herself as she never married him. The other, same scenario but she had married him out of state, but never reported it. He dies and she can collect the social security, and although she did not put daddy's name on birth certificates, they were married when kids were born making them legally his. That tips the agency off to the fraud and she ends up in jail for welfare fraud.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

There are plenty of people in the "New" America who work full time jobs and don't make enough to pay rent, utilities and food. Ask Walmart employees. Oh, I take that back. Most of those retail jobs make sure their employees don't work more than thirty hours. That way, they don't have to give them any benefits. I've asked my local Safeway clerks. They're not allowed more than thirty hours.

Like I said, a guy working a job and getting food stamps is a lazy bum. A guy laying in a hammock in the Bahamas while his money makes him money, often times from corporations sending American jobs overseas, is an entrepreneur.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper
 
chadta's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Most of those retail jobs make sure their employees don't work more than thirty hours. That way, they don't have to give them any benefits. I've asked my local Safeway clerks. They're not allowed more than thirty hours.
You wanted obamacare, you got it, don't say you weren't warned.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
You wanted obamacare, you got it, don't say you weren't warned.
What does that have to do with anything he was talking about. What he was talking about has been happening long before Obamacare was a reality.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
You wanted obamacare, you got it, don't say you weren't warned.
Yep, more and more companies, especially the smaller ones, are going with part-timers, but the elderly may profit from it since they don't need insurance or healthcare from them, so they are becoming more attractive to companies. People complain you can't make a living working at McDonalds because of the pay and want to raise minimum wage to who knows what, yet it isn't any easier to make it working part-time either. 23 million on food stamps? Most ever on disability? This is evidence of a thriving economy and sound policies? If people keep their head in the sand, it won't get any better. Until more and more people see things for what they really are, expect more of the same.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Like Gunns said, this **** was going on long before Obamacare was even thought up.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #45
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,863

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Yep, more and more companies, especially the smaller ones, are going with part-timers, but the elderly may profit from it since they don't need insurance or healthcare from them, so they are becoming more attractive to companies. People complain you can't make a living working at McDonalds because of the pay and want to raise minimum wage to who knows what, yet it isn't any easier to make it working part-time either. 23 million on food stamps? Most ever on disability? This is evidence of a thriving economy and sound policies? If people keep their head in the sand, it won't get any better. Until more and more people see things for what they really are, expect more of the same.
Change tax law. Change regulations on the Wall Street casino. Change trade policies. Reward those who create jobs at home and punish those who take jobs offshore. And the entire scenario is changed in a year.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #46
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,088
Default

Rho we need to change the corp tax system. The single zone rate of 35% or whatever they have is a joke. There are so many writeoffs but only the big corp will get to use them all. Small biz which is where we have to get jobs from often cant do what apple does. You know make 5 billion overseas and leave it all there. Not pay one cent of tax on it. I wouldn't bring it home either at 35% but there has to be a number we can come up with where companies stay competitive overseas but have to at least bring some % of overseas profit home to be taxed. Clinton talks about this all the time. I thnk Bush jr would also but he stays so quiet because he feels presidents should talk about other presidents or policy much when they leave office.

i don't really see it as a left right issue. It just seems 35% of 0 from some big companies offshore earnings seems almost laughable. Like the theater of absurd.

I don't even think the media or the govt does a good job of explaining that issue to Americans. They are joke.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #47
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 37,088
Default

We need a dual rate system that divides profit made in American, profit made overseas into 2 different tax rates. But then we need a law passed by Congress if a corp is American they can only offshore so much of there foriegn profits. This number needs to be low though we don't want to drive them away. If you took all the money american corp made overseas the last 10 yrs and even taxed it at 2.5% I wonder how much it would be for the govt?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #48
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Rho we need to change the corp tax system. The single zone rate of 35% or whatever they have is a joke. There are so many writeoffs but only the big corp will get to use them all. Small biz which is where we have to get jobs from often cant do what apple does. You know make 5 billion overseas and leave it all there. Not pay one cent of tax on it. I wouldn't bring it home either at 35% but there has to be a number we can come up with where companies stay competitive overseas but have to at least bring some % of overseas profit home to be taxed. Clinton talks about this all the time. I thnk Bush jr would also but he stays so quiet because he feels presidents should talk about other presidents or policy much when they leave office.

i don't really see it as a left right issue. It just seems 35% of 0 from some big companies offshore earnings seems almost laughable. Like the theater of absurd.

I don't even think the media or the govt does a good job of explaining that issue to Americans. They are joke.
The system could be solved by not taxing profits on these large multinationals at all - instead start taxing the payouts that they give to investors such as dividends and stock sales at an appropriate rate(35% or based on income tax bracket).
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #49
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,734

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
But two funny stories. Woman collecting benefits for 2 children who she never put daddy's name on birth certificate. He dies. She cannot collect his social security for kids, no proof they are his. Nor can she collect for herself as she never married him. The other, same scenario but she had married him out of state, but never reported it. He dies and she can collect the social security, and although she did not put daddy's name on birth certificates, they were married when kids were born making them legally his. That tips the agency off to the fraud and she ends up in jail for welfare fraud.
I was invited to an investment banquet a couple of weeks ago and the topic for one of the guest speakers was social security pitfalls. He had several stories similar to the one you posted that showed how much money was left on the table by not making the correct decisions on social security.

For example when I choose to draw my benefits, I will receive the maximum amount available. My wife on the other hand showed very little income and would draw almost nothing but there is still plenty of time for me to divert some our income to her in the future so she will also draw the maximum amount.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 07-15-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #50
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I was invited to an investment banquette...
Banquette? Is that like a female banquet?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Denver Broncos