The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #176
Jay3

I just need to get something off my chest: I shot a hobo to get some practice.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #177
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #178
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

to the op; bear in mind that the average pistol shooter can't hit the broad side of a barn . Even if they're standing inside it. If you go with a pistol get lots of practice, until aiming and firing is almost second nature.

If your primary need is home defense Tombstone has it right, go with a good 12 ga. pump shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot, it makes it hard to miss. AND as someone else said The sound of a big gun being racked, might discourage any intruder enough that they run right through the wall to get away!
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #179
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
to the op; bear in mind that the average pistol shooter can't hit the broad side of a barn . Even if they're standing inside it. If you go with a pistol get lots of practice, until aiming and firing is almost second nature.

If your primary need is home defense Tombstone has it right, go with a good 12 ga. pump shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot, it makes it hard to miss. AND as someone else said The sound of a big gun being racked, might discourage any intruder enough that they run right through the wall to get away!
I actually like this idea. My dad kept a double-barreled 18 gauge SG near his bed. He said it was too big for us kids to play with (until we were older) and if you needed more than two rounds you probably had bigger problems.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #180
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

For a woman? I recommend the Walther PPK .380 Auto. Not heavy. Not big. Plus it has the James Bond cache.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #181
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I actually like this idea. My dad kept a double-barreled 18 gauge SG near his bed. He said it was too big for us kids to play with (until we were older) and if you needed more than two rounds you probably had bigger problems.
18 gage? WTF must be a typo. 20 or 16 I'm sure you mean.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #182
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Could be an old shotgun or maybe a muzzleloader.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #183
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That 18-gauge might be the old, old one barrel on top the other configuration (as opposed to side-by-side).
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #184
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
I went to a shooting range on Sunday with a bunch of friends and had a great time. Over the day I fired several guns: a .22 bolt-action rifle, a semi-auto .22 pistol, .357 magnum revolver, .38 revolver, and a .30 cal M1 carbine of WW2 vintage. That last was a real treat cuz I've been a history buff since grade school. Unfortunately, I didn't have opportunity to try the .45 and 9mm pistols.

The rifles were fun, and I put down decent shot groups (esp considering it was my first time shooting since high school!), but I really liked the handguns more than the long guns. [B]I'm thinking about picking up shooting as a hobby, but I really don't know where to begin. Just because it's the off-season, I thought I'd ask you guys what you have, what you like, and what you'd recommend for a beginner.

My wife and I are both CCW holders, we shoot twice a week at a range that a friend of ours owns. The hobby portion of it started out in bowling pin shoots but that slowly graduated into taking advanced tactics courses with the trainer for the local police department. The price for this 'hobby' really isn't that much when you consider the actual training that you receive. It's surprisingly fun learning how to clear jams, engage multiple targets, shooting off-hand, on the move in and out of cover, etc....We've started training recently with Chris Cerino http://chriscerinotraininggroup.com/...roup/Home.html Chris is a great guy, he's local to us and his partner - Andrew Blubaugh is a police officer with a local dept near us. So if you're interested in the hobby portion of shooting you should really take a look into some sort of training that helps you in a defensive manner. IDPA shooting is also something you could try - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDaVIbJ4AU

* I'm not likely to buy before next winter (Jan-Feb '13), so I have plenty of time for research.
Best 'research' you can do is to go to several gun ranges and handle different handguns. The handgun you want is the one that feels the most comfortable in your hand, not the most popular or the coolest looking. The gun needs to fit you - that being said make sure that you have an idea of proper grip. Rent as many of them as you can so that you can actually shoot them.

* Shooting will primarily be a hobby, but defense is also at the back of my mind.
See above. If you're talking about home defense - nothing beats a good old shotgun. Single shot, double barrel, pump, auto......get a shotgun for the house.

* My projected budget will be between $600 and $800 (not including other usefuls like a lockbox).
Plenty of great pistols out there in that price range.

* I will be taking firearms safety classes, so that's a given.
See above. Don't be one of those guys that just gets their permit and thinks they're ready to take on anything that happens. Take advanced courses, preferably with local police. Do you know how to perform an administrative reload? Are you comfortable clearing different kinds of weapon malfunctions? Each malfunction is cleared a different way...you need to learn them. If you're in a situation where you need to pull your weapon or die and your gun malfunctions you either have a $700 hammer or you sit down and cry......best thing is to be able to get the gun back in the fight.

* I'm left-handed and left-eyed, in case that makes a difference.
Not a problem

* Concealed carry permit is a definite "maybe." I haven't decided yet whether to seek it.

Do it, doesn't mean you have to carry a gun although there's no reason to not be armed at all times.

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
My suggestions for ya - good luck!
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #185
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That 18-gauge might be the old, old one barrel on top the other configuration (as opposed to side-by-side).
If it really is it would be a super old blackpowder shotgun.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #186
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
So your last name is Biden?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #187
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I carry a Ruger LCP 380, it fits in a wallet size holster and can be concealed easily in the back pocket.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 06:27 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #188
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
I carry a Ruger LCP 380, it fits in a wallet size holster and can be concealed easily in the back pocket.
Good gun

Depending on weather, my clothes, etc.... I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a Sig Sauer wallet holster, or my Glock 19 in a Galco King Tuk holster (75% of the time carry) and on rare occasions i'll carry my Para Ordnance Expert 1911 in a Galco paddle holster (rarely)

My wife carries her Glock 19 always. Soon she's moving out of the 19 and into a G36 .45 acp with a Sig P238 for Summer carry.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #189
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
I don't think I would be comfortable with a firearm in my home. I'm very pro second amendment, but guns aren't my personal cup of tea.
Just get a good gun safe and start out with a small caliber that you are comfortable with. A .22 is better than nothing. I'm currently looking at a safe that fits under the side of the bed that slides out like a drawer. Fit's a shotgun and hand gun with quick biometric lock.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #190
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I love my Kahr PM 40 for CCW (pictured below).

I also have a Para Warthog .45 as my other option.

SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #191
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Good gun

Depending on weather, my clothes, etc.... I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a Sig Sauer wallet holster, or my Glock 19 in a Galco King Tuk holster (75% of the time carry) and on rare occasions i'll carry my Para Ordnance Expert 1911 in a Galco paddle holster (rarely)

My wife carries her Glock 19 always. Soon she's moving out of the 19 and into a G36 .45 acp with a Sig P238 for Summer carry.
Excellent choices, I also have a Glock 19 9mm that I keep by the bed in a hollowed out book. I also have a SW Chief Special 5 round 38 special revolver with the nickel finish 2 barrel that I keep in the console of my truck.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #192
Jay3

Quote:
Excellent choices, I also have a Glock 19 9mm that I keep by the bed in a hollowed out book. I also have a SW Chief Special 5 round 38 special revolver with the nickel finish 2 barrel that I keep in the console of my truck.
Eerie parallels -- I have an LPC for concealed carry, and a Ruger SP101 5 round 357 (very similar to the Chief in purpose) that I keep in the console in my car.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #193
DenverDynamite

Part of me would like to own a firearm for home pretection. However, I have two small boys at home, and no matter how many times I could explain it to them, that said gun was dangerous - in other words, don't touch the ******* gun! I still think they'd be too tempted. I remember how I was as a kid, and I don't trust them.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #194
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Part of me would like to own a firearm for home pretection. However, I have two small boys at home, and no matter how many times I could explain it to them, that said gun was dangerous - in other words, don't touch the ******* gun! I still think they'd be too tempted. I remember how I was as a kid, and I don't trust them.
Hide it in a safe. That's what everybody should do that have kids in the home.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #195
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
get a safe and make sure they never know the combo.
that's what my dad did. i'll admit i knew the code but i never fiddled with it, until he was teaching me how to shoot.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #196
Jay3

Quote:
You have to lock it up. THey have full sized safes, and quick-release single safes for one firearm that's kept at the ready. They also have trigger-locks, but they are not intended for a loaded weapon. The quick-release (push button combination) safes are intended for a weapon at the ready.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #197
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Nope. It's a 70 year old double barreled shot gun. The cost of the ammo alone is ridiculous but it was his German grandpa's gun, so he likes it.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #198
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought gun ownership rights were revoked for Coloradoites?!? God knows you people have shot enough stuff over the years.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #199
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Nope. It's a 70 year old double barreled shot gun. The cost of the ammo alone is ridiculous but it was his German grandpa's gun, so he likes it.
I just texted my dad and I got more details. The gun is over 100 years old. My great grandfather served in the German army before emigrating to the US in 1907 (talk about dodging two bad wars). It was his gun and is 18 gauge. Apparently it's worth a lot of money and they don't even make the cartridges anymore, but you could custom order it into the 60's. He's got seven shells left.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #200
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
I just texted my dad and I got more details. The gun is over 100 years old. My great grandfather served in the German army before emigrating to the US in 1907 (talk about dodging two bad wars). It was his gun and is 18 gauge. Apparently it's worth a lot of money and they don't even make the cartridges anymore, but you could custom order it into the 60's. He's got seven shells left.
That is pretty sweet and I would keep that locked up in a safe. You could reload for the for it although it is old enough you would have to be careful.