The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #51
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Something is wrong with how they're displaying the numbers...
The 666 is since Jan 2000. They came up with an annual figure per 1,000 players. Hopefully some "math guys" can step in and clarify/confirm...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #52
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Elway can only be held accountable for who he drafts or signs as a FA. Cox & Wiliams have been cut, and I could be wrong, but I can't think of anyone on the the current team that have been arrested while a Bronco.
Do not forget Matty P and the ladies of Shotgun Willies or Knowshon driving sauced in his SAUCED car.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #53
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The 666 is since Jan 2000. They came up with an annual figure per 1,000 players. Hopefully some "math guys" can step in and clarify/confirm...

Right.

That's why its using 666 divided by their active players # (1696, rounded it to 1700 for ease) * 13 (number of years since Jan 2000).
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #54
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Something is wrong with how they're displaying the numbers.

It would be incidents/(active players per year x years) or 666/22100=.03 (proportion) or 30 in 1000 to use the terms the article uses.

Just a quick glance, the categories don't sum to 30 in 1000, so either there's an "Other" category that they're not showing for whatever reason or they're citing inconsistent information.
He's only listing the three most common problems.

Quote:
By my count, the three most common charges in the NFL database were DUI, assault/battery (including domestic violence), and drug possession, with 72 percent of all incidents including at least one of these charges. Below, we compare the NFL arrest rates for these offenses, plus weapons charges, to the arrest rates for the country as a whole in 2010.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #55
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's only listing the three most common problems.
Well, that accounts for it. But it still takes away from the point he's trying to prove unless he's knowingly skewing it.

Should've made an other category, would've been interesting to see if its dominantly skewed towards NFL players than average males.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #56
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Well, that accounts for it. But it still takes away from the point he's trying to prove unless he's knowingly skewing it.

Should've made an other category, would've been interesting to see if its dominantly skewed towards NFL players than average males.
And as was pointed out in the comments section, it doesn't compare against men of that same income level. I'd love to see what the arrest record for men ages 20-30 who make 250k+.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
And as was pointed out in the comments section, it doesn't compare against men of that same income level. I'd love to see what the arrest record for men ages 20-30 who make 250k+.
I have that figure. It's 1 person (not in the entertainment industry).
Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #58
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I have that figure. It's 1 person (not in the entertainment industry).
Public lobster humping is a misdemeanor - except in Maine, where you can be executed for it.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #59
Agamemnon

Quote:
Seeing as most males with that kind of income have vastly more affluent backgrounds than most pro football players, I'm not thinking that's a fair comparison. A guy who grows up in the ghetto with no dad is not going to magically get rid of the personal issues that come from such such a background just because he gets rich overnight.

The truth is that many pro athletes would likely be thugs and gangbangers if they weren't so gifted at a sport. To think such people are going to magically get rid of their baggage when they come to the NFL is just silly.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #60
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Seeing as most males with that kind of income have vastly more affluent backgrounds than most pro football players, I'm not thinking that's a fair comparison. A guy who grows up in the ghetto with no dad is not going to magically get rid of the personal issues that come from such such a background just because he gets rich overnight.

The truth is that many pro athletes would likely be thugs and gangbangers if they weren't so gifted at a sport. To think such people are going to magically get rid of their baggage when they come to the NFL is just silly.
What you're saying is essentially "You can take the brother out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the brother"?

Pretty sure that's racist
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post

That's a dicey line you're walking. I agree that giving someone with bad behavior a bunch of money isn't going to do anything but enable them. However with regards to the point of the article, that NFL players don't get in any more trouble than their non-nfl counter parts, I think if you're going to break down things along those lines you have to break them down further and income level is another way to cut it.

And really, there are no excuses for some of the things these guys are getting nailed for. Take the DUI issues. None of these guys cannot afford one cab ride home. None.

"Why were you drinking and driving, young man?"

"I was raised in da ghetto!"

"That's nice. Please step out of the vehicle..."
Old 07-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #62
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

I ran some numbers a couple weeks ago in a similar thread. They're pretty raw, but the results indicate player arrest rates are about the same or maybe a little lower that society as a whole.
________

Using teams' 90-man rosters to get total number of players is too much, let's try: 53 + 20 ir/pup/fa/fringe + 7 ps = 80 x 32 = 2560 total

Total arrests of adult males in the United States was 8,584,000 in 2009, or 13.54 per 1,000 based on 2010 Census 116,400,000 adult males.

13.54 (per 1,000) x 2.56 (player ratio) = 34.66 so if my numbers are accurate, 34.66 NFL players arrested in a year would be equal to the nation as a whole.

PLUS: Two uncounted statistical shifts FAVORING PLAYERS:

1) Age - NFL Players are 22-36, but arrest rates drop across the board as men reach age 36, and continue to drop as we age from there. So NFL players are a more at-risk group than USA based on age.
2) Race - African-American arrest rates are higher than population as a whole. The NFL is 59% black, the USA 13%. So again, NFL players are a more at-risk group than USA.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #63
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
Lets hope Aqib Talib don't start busting caps again.
One criminal out, one in. Nice team leadership there.

Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started. At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[11] On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[12] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol and booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[13] In March 2011, police in Garland, Texas issued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[14] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[15] On June 18, 2012 the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[16]
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #64
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Public lobster humping is a misdemeanor - except in Maine, where you can be executed for it.
Why? It's a creative way of cracking the shell.