The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #151
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Wrong. More people get hurt falling down the stairs each year, than do by accidental gun discharge. Perhaps we should mandate baby gates for EVERYONE, not just toddlers.

And I know many people who have young kids and own guns.....myself included. They all are locked in safes.
What the **** are you stupid or just cannot read?

I never said anything about mandating ANYTHING!! Retard.

The advice is so simple and so uncontroversial that its amazing you republitards are even making this big of a deal about it.

ALL I SAID is people need to look at their home and see if it is safe for a gun. The odds are if you bring a gun into the home that gun is much more likley to kill you or a loved one than an intruder.

That is all I said. You can not even argue this because it is fact.

Jesus you people are stupid.

Also, I was more concerned with sisterhellfyre because he said he wanted it for home protection. That means at night the gun is probably going to be loaded and within his reach, which is obviously more dangerous.

Obviously if you have them in a safe like you or in the attic like me they are out of reach of children.

Last edited by Bacchus; 07-11-2013 at 10:05 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #152
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is all I said. You can not even argue this because it is fact.
But it is not a fact. It is a flawed statistical fallacy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #153
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What the **** are you stupid or just cannot read?

I never said anything about mandating ANYTHING!! Retard.

The advice is so simple and so uncontroversial that its amazing you republitards are even making this big of a deal about it.

ALL I SAID is people need to look at their home and see if it is safe for a gun. The odds are if you bring a gun into the home that gun is much more likley to kill you or a loved one than an intruder.

That is all I said. You can not even argue this because it is fact.

Jesus you people are stupid.

Also, I was more concerned with sisterhellfyre because he said he wanted it for home protection. That means at night the gun is probably going to be loaded and within his reach, which is obviously more dangerous.

Obviously if you have them in a safe like you or in the attic like me they are out of reach of children.
What it boils down to is anything dangerous in this world be it cars, guns, alcohol, tobacco, going to Oakland, knives, finances...and endless other things, need to be handled responsibly. I probably jumped the gun so to speak calling you out. I do get tired of people treating guns so much differently than anything else that can hurt people. You can drink a bit, have kids, and have guns. Just be safe and responsible with them and there won't be any issue.

First thing I tell anyone thinking about buying a gun: Buy a safe first. Safety, above all else, is the chief concern with firearms. That and after you buy 1 you end up buying a few. You need to protect your investments!
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #154
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,177

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
What the **** are you stupid or just cannot read?

I never said anything about mandating ANYTHING!! Retard.

The advice is so simple and so uncontroversial that its amazing you republitards are even making this big of a deal about it.

ALL I SAID is people need to look at their home and see if it is safe for a gun. The odds are if you bring a gun into the home that gun is much more likley to kill you or a loved one than an intruder.

That is all I said. You can not even argue this because it is fact.

Jesus you people are stupid.

Also, I was more concerned with sisterhellfyre because he said he wanted it for home protection. That means at night the gun is probably going to be loaded and within his reach, which is obviously more dangerous.

Obviously if you have them in a safe like you or in the attic like me they are out of reach of children.
Of course Republitards are stupid. Afterall, they disagree with all-knowing geniuses like you.

You WERE, in fact, suggesting that people with young kids or teenagers should not have guns in the house. You suggested that THOSE households would be inappropriate to have guns in. You were implying that it was irresponsible to have a gun if you have young kids.

Hogwash. That's all the MORE reason I want a gun in the house. I have more to PROTECT.

Like cars, knives, bats.......be responsible with them, and teach your kids not to play with them (or tell your kids you'll cut their hands off if you ever catch them playing with them)......and for God's sake, buy a $5 trigger lock.

Get off your ****ing high horse dude and stop preaching morality.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #155
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

this thread really doesn't need to devolve into a gun debate. if you don't like guns, stay out of the gun thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #156
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Its statistical probability based on the number of guns in circulation that your gun will never shoot or kill anyone. The reality is gun deaths in this country is a small number compared to the population.

Have a good day and happy friday!
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #157
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Of course Republitards are stupid. Afterall, they disagree with all-knowing geniuses like you.

You WERE, in fact, suggesting that people with young kids or teenagers should not have guns in the house. You suggested that THOSE households would be inappropriate to have guns in. You were implying that it was irresponsible to have a gun if you have young kids.

Hogwash. That's all the MORE reason I want a gun in the house. I have more to PROTECT.

Like cars, knives, bats.......be responsible with them, and teach your kids not to play with them (or tell your kids you'll cut their hands off if you ever catch them playing with them)......and for God's sake, buy a $5 trigger lock.

Get off your ****ing high horse dude and stop preaching morality.
That is a valid argument, but people like you and others started talking about baseball bats, cars and falling down!!

Again my statement on little kids is he stated he wanted a gun for home protection. Which means that he will have it loaded and close to him while he sleeps. Again, he can do whatever the **** he wants. But if you are buying a gun and are going to keep it loaded and within easy reach at night it will also be within easy reach of your kids.

People just might want to give extra thought about it because that gun is more likely going to be used to kill someone he knows than a burglar, that is a fact and it is always something people need to think of first.

He is asking for advice that is all it is advice. He can do whatever he wants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #158
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
this thread really doesn't need to devolve into a gun debate. if you don't like guns, stay out of the gun thread.
I am not debating ANYTHING!! I am just saying people need to look at their situation at home before purchasing a gun.... that's it. I'm sure everyone would agree....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #159
Powderaddict
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I don't use a gun for home protection, but lately I've been spending a little more time out in the backwoods. I'm more nervous about wild animals (Bear and Mountain Lion are common around here). I do some motorcycle camping, and was thinking of getting something I can pack with me. My wife and one of her friends have taken up bow hunting, so I would want something she could wear on her hip when she is out in the forest.

My thought is a 1911 .45. They are common, fairly inexpensive, and I'm pretty sure they can do their part in defending me against a big black bear. What do you think?

I do own a Ruger 10/22 for small game and target practice. My wife has a .308 she uses for Elk hunting. So I'm not unfamiliar with guns, I just have fairly limited exposure to handguns.

Edited: Neither my wife nor I have anger issues, drinking/drug problems, histories of violent behavior, or extremely poor decision making skills. We have a child but none of our guns are kept loaded, and are kept safely out of his ability to access them. Ammo is kept in a separate part of the home than the firearms. No animals were harmed by our firearms that were not also eaten. I like puppies. And pie.

Last edited by Powderaddict; 07-12-2013 at 08:01 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #160
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
I don't use a gun for home protection, but lately I've been spending a little more time out in the backwoods. I'm more nervous about wild animals (Bear and Mountain Lion are common around here). I do some motorcycle camping, and was thinking of getting something I can pack with me. My wife and one of her friends have taken up bow hunting, so I would want something she could wear on her hip when she is out in the forest.

My thought is a 1911 .45. They are common, fairly inexpensive, and I'm pretty sure they can do their part in defending me against a big black bear. What do you think?

I do own a Ruger 10/22 for small game and target practice. My wife has a .308 she uses for Elk hunting. So I'm not unfamiliar with guns, I just have fairly limited exposure to handguns.

Edited: Neither my wife nor I have anger issues, drinking/drug problems, histories of violent behavior, or extremely poor decision making skills. We have a child but none of our guns are kept loaded, and are kept safely out of his ability to access them. Ammo is kept in a separate part of the home than the firearms. No animals were harmed by our firearms that were not also eaten. I like puppies. And pie.
I wouldn't worry about a black bear in the back country anyway. If you have a brown bear issue then yah, carry a gun but it's got to be a hand cannon otherwise all you will do is piss the bear off more if you shoot it with a .45. As for a mountail lion, I don't think you will have time to point and shoot anyway. But I'd get at the very least, a .357 revolver for a big cat.

Or, do the wise thing and take bear spray. Problem solved.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #161
Powderaddict
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I wouldn't worry about a black bear in the back country anyway. If you have a brown bear issue then yah, carry a gun but it's got to be a hand cannon otherwise all you will do is piss the bear off more if you shoot it with a .45. As for a mountail lion, I don't think you will have time to point and shoot anyway. But I'd get at the very least, a .357 revolver for a big cat.

Or, do the wise thing and take bear spray. Problem solved.
I've known several people out here that have been charged by black bear, especially around fall when they are preparing to hibernate.

I get what you are saying about mountain lions. I don't know too many people that have run ins with them, but they are fairly common around here. I figure something is better than nothing.

So if a .45 will just piss a bear off, what do you recommend? I do have bear spray, but I'd like to have another option as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #162
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
I've known several people out here that have been charged by black bear, especially around fall when they are preparing to hibernate.

I get what you are saying about mountain lions. I don't know too many people that have run ins with them, but they are fairly common around here. I figure something is better than nothing.

So if a .45 will just piss a bear off, what do you recommend?
Bear spray is absolutely your best bet. It will work on a big cat too if you have time to use it.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #163
Powderaddict
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Bear spray is absolutely your best bet. It will work on a big cat too if you have time to use it.
Well, I'll keep some with me on my travels

edited: Funny story about bear spray. I had a friend who had a canister go off in his tent one night. I wasn't there but heard about it. I guess it wasn't too pleasant

Last edited by Powderaddict; 07-12-2013 at 08:21 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #164
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

This was my favorite weapon when I was in the army:



The M79 grenade launcher. And I was pretty damn good with that thing. Good enough that the platoon sergeant assigned it to me.

Talk about some home protection? Wish I could have one of those now. Poof! Your ass is mine!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #165
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Well, I'll keep some with me on my travels

edited: Funny story about bear spray. I had a friend who had a canister go off in his tent one night. I wasn't there but heard about it. I guess it wasn't too pleasant
Just make sure it's fresh. Bear spay has a shelf life and you need to replace it after a while. There should be an expiration date on it. It's basically a super-powerful pepper spray. Its the same basic idea as the pepper spray used on humans but about 100 times more powerful. It comes in a pretty decent size can too:



http://www.sabrered.com/images/bear-spray-2.jpg

Also, I'd have no problem spraying this stuff on a home intruder. It will send a human being into the stratosphere of pain and agony.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #166
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,856

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I don't think I would be comfortable with a firearm in my home. I'm very pro second amendment, but guns aren't my personal cup of tea.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #167
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Here's a pic of someone using bear spray.

http://news.byu.edu/releases/archive...ar_smith83.jpg
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #168
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This was my favorite weapon when I was in the army:



The M79 grenade launcher. And I was pretty damn good with that thing. Good enough that the platoon sergeant assigned it to me.

Talk about some home protection? Wish I could have one of those now. Poof! Your ass is mine!
Rohirrim, have you seen these?



The XM25 Individual Airburst Weapon is a new grenade launcher being developed by Heckler & Koch and Alliant Technologies.

Explosions In Mid-Air

The XM25 weapon fires 25 millimeter grenades that are designed to explode in mid-air or close to an intended target. As such, the XM25 is known as an "airburst grenade launcher." The weapon uses lasers to calculate the distance to a target, and operators of the XM25 can adjust the detonating distance of grenades by up to three meters. The ability of the grenades to explode in mid-air will enable the XM25 to hit targets that are dug into the ground or hiding behind cover.

The U.S. military has announced plans to purchase more than 12,000 XM25 Individual Airburst Weapons. Each grenade launcher costs approximately $25,000. The XM25 began field tests with soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2009. The U.S. military expects the weapon to enter service and be fully deployed in 2012.

I bet you would have loved to fire one of these.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #169
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
So if a .45 will just piss a bear off, what do you recommend? I do have bear spray, but I'd like to have another option as well.
A slight bump and go for the 44 Magnum revolver. Easy to operate for you and your loved ones. I also have a Model 94 carbine that shoots 44 magnum, so that's a small, handy rifle shooting the same rounds. Makes for a good 1-2 punch on the trail.

But really, you will hear (correctly) that a 44 Magnum is also not enough wallop for brown bear. A head shot will kill it, but a body shot most likely won't drop it.

The weapons of choice to shoot a bear are the 454 Casull (forget about it), the Desert Eagle in 50 cal (again, too advanced and specialized), or get a 12 gauge and shoot sabot slugs out of it (a big chunk of metal instead of scatter shot).

So I'd get a 44 magnum pistol (six inch barrel, either a S&W 629 like Dirty Harry's, or a Ruger Redhawk). It's the best you can do and you could also shoot a person with it if attacked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #170
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,177

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't think I would be comfortable with a firearm in my home. I'm very pro second amendment, but guns aren't my personal cup of tea.
I used to think EXACTLY like this. I've always been pro 2nd amendment.....just never interested in owning a gun. After all these years I finally bought my first gun (guns) only in the last 3 months.

The first few nights, I was nervous about having them in the house......but then it quickly goes away. You really get used to it, and don't even think about it.

Even my wife said she now feels better knowing it's there. It does provide some sense of security and you do wind up feeling safer.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #171
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

hell yes a gun in the home is needed! Don't be a wimpy fool and be unable to protect your family when they time arises. Hopefully it never does but being without a protection tool like a gun is unsafe. Being scared of a tool is silly.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #172
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,650
Default

I was told by a park ranger in alasaka that bear spray is more effective then any handgun you could carry when attacked by a bear.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #173
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,177

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I was told by a park ranger in alasaka that bear spray is more effective then any handgun you could carry when attacked by a bear.
Of course. That's because if you shoot a polar bear or a Kodiak bear with a 9mm......it won't do **** other than piss it off.

Unless you get it right in the eye.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #174
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,616

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Bear spray is absolutely your best bet. It will work on a big cat too if you have time to use it.
Attachment 32553

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #175
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
hell yes a gun in the home is needed! Don't be a wimpy fool and be unable to protect your family when they time arises. Hopefully it never does but being without a protection tool like a gun is unsafe. Being scared of a tool is silly.
The difference maker for me is family, little ones who depend on me. When there are other, helpless people in the house, being brave no longer consists of just not fearing what will happen. Because the standard for success is changed -- I don't just have to survive, or get away, or live through something. I have to prevail. I have to be able to reverse the situation, and overcome an assailant. Failure means my helpless family hurt. And with that in mind, I need any tool I can use to change the equation in my favor.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Denver Broncos