The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #126
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

an XDM 40

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #127
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
I went to a shooting range on Sunday with a bunch of friends and had a great time. Over the day I fired several guns: a .22 bolt-action rifle, a semi-auto .22 pistol, .357 magnum revolver, .38 revolver, and a .30 cal M1 carbine of WW2 vintage. That last was a real treat cuz I've been a history buff since grade school. Unfortunately, I didn't have opportunity to try the .45 and 9mm pistols.

The rifles were fun, and I put down decent shot groups (esp considering it was my first time shooting since high school!), but I really liked the handguns more than the long guns. I'm thinking about picking up shooting as a hobby, but I really don't know where to begin. Just because it's the off-season, I thought I'd ask you guys what you have, what you like, and what you'd recommend for a beginner.

* I'm not likely to buy before next winter (Jan-Feb '13), so I have plenty of time for research.

* Shooting will primarily be a hobby, but defense is also at the back of my mind.

* My projected budget will be between $600 and $800 (not including other usefuls like a lockbox).

* I will be taking firearms safety classes, so that's a given.

* I'm left-handed and left-eyed, in case that makes a difference.

* Concealed carry permit is a definite "maybe." I haven't decided yet whether to seek it.

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
If you and your wife drink, if you have little kids or a teenage boy or if you have anger issues my gun reccomendation would be do not buy a gun because the odds are a 100 times greater this gun will be used to kill someone you know as opposed to an intruder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #128
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,057

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you and your wife drink, if you have little kids or a teenage boy or if you have anger issues my gun reccomendation would be do not buy a gun because the odds are a 100 times greater this gun will be used to kill someone you know as opposed to an intruder.
Wow thanks for that! This would also apply to rope hammers and bats. You can never be to careful!
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #129
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you and your wife drink, if you have little kids or a teenage boy or if you have anger issues my gun reccomendation would be do not buy a gun because the odds are a 100 times greater this gun will be used to kill someone you know as opposed to an intruder.
Sincerely,

Mrs. Hernandez
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #130
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Wow thanks for that! This would also apply to rope hammers and bats. You can never be to careful!
That is true, but how many alcoholics own guns, how many people with little kids and teenage boys own guns? As far as I know the list of murders by bat is very few there were 32,000 people killed in 2012 by guns. People just need to be aware of the fact that a burgler coming into your house and harming you or your family is very rare and you need to be aware of what kind of environment you are bringing this gun into.

That is all I am saying. Look at your house and if it is a safe place to have a gun. I have always had guns in my house but they are not there for my protection of a burgler. They are up in the attic locked away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #131
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Glock 19 9mm is all I require for me and my family. I have the exact same weapon and setup like the one below.

Former military and not a gun enthusiast like some here. Having said that, if I need to use it, that person's not ever getting up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock 19 Gen4 Flat Dark Earth.jpg (131.2 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Traveler; 07-10-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #132
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

I had never fired a pistol the first 38 years of my life , and decided it's better to have one and never need one , than need one and not have it. I'd never bought or owned a gun before and I researched the sh*t outa this.

And I had much the same needs you did sisterhellfyre I wanted a great practice gun that could also be protection if i needed it.

I went with from what I read maybe the best 22 auto ever made and a great target pistol used in many ccw classes to teach everyone from pros to first timers and is used in pro target contest. Also remember if you plan on going to the range to practice a lot the best thing is something that shoots the cheapest ammo , hence me going 22lr ...


Ruger Mark III 22/45 ...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #133
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I have a variant of that Ruger 22 -- great gun for practice, shooting at the range, sport target shooting. I endorse that buy.

But it will not do the job for self defense. Not recommended. Get .357 magnum revolver. A good model would be a Ruger GP100 in 4" barrel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #134
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I have a variant of that Ruger 22 -- great gun for practice, shooting at the range, sport target shooting. I endorse that buy.

But it will not do the job for self defense. Not recommended. Get .357 magnum revolver. A good model would be a Ruger GP100 in 4" barrel.


TY Jay , and for defense yea I agree it doesn't have the stopping power a 45 has or something like that , but with hollow tips and the fact if someone walked in on me at home from my chair to the door you would hit them like 8 outa 10 times , and I plan on emptying the the thing on someone if I ever need to heheh.

But yea there's better defense guns , but getting shot with anything sucks I'd think heheh ... As far as to learn with tho I don't think I could have bought anything better.

Thx for endorsement Jay , not being a gun guy I was lost when I first starting wanting one.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #135
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

lol they make hallow tip .22s?

TheMoreYouKnow.gif
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #136
NUB
Just Crafted
 
NUB's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,529

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'd rather have a shotgun for home defense. The pump alone is loud enough for anyone to hear at night. And you're not going to miss if the need to fire arises.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #137
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
I'd rather have a shotgun for home defense. The pump alone is loud enough for anyone to hear at night. And you're not going to miss if the need to fire arises.
/agree .... Why I bought the 22 to learn handguns with and I got a little 410 and a 12g that I would use for defense if needed.

My Dad bought the Taurus Judge and it's sweet but a little big for me , I was looking into maybe getting the Circuit Judge which is basically the long gun/rifle version.

I think it would be cool to be able to shoot 45s and 410s out of the same gun.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #138
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
lol they make hallow tip .22s?

TheMoreYouKnow.gif
You ain't from the country is ya?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #139
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is true, but how many alcoholics own guns,
How many alcoholics own cars? Oh wait...

Ban cars, and ban alcohol while you're at it.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #140
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,466
Default

I myself have been thinking about getting a gun.
I have a buddy who loves guns and i swear he buys them just to take them to the range and shoot them more than for defense.

He took me with him to the range a few days ago and let me shoot a couple of his.
I wasn't really paying attention to the brand but he had a .22, .357, 9M and a .40.
It had been years since i fired a gun(last time was with my dad when he was teaching me how to shoot about 12 years ago).

My dad has a 9M and a .45, i prefer the .45 myself.
I was doing some research online,via mags and in stores(or shops) about certain brands and types.
I've settled on a 9M or .45 but i'm not sure which brand to get.
Of the ones i've looked at i like the Walther, Sig Sauer and S&W brands the best.
Which one would be better, Walther PPQ M2, P99, Sig Sauer P250, P229 or Smith & Wesson M&P 45?

I looked at FNH and Glock as well. I like the FNH FNX 45 & Glock G30S. though less so than the others.

Last edited by Lestat; 07-10-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #141
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,353
Default

This is a great site Lestat , http://www.gunblast.com/ ...

Gun makers send him guns to review and he seems to know his crap...
Maybe check his site on reviews of the .45's you like. (in the search bar on his site)

Anyone who looks like this guy has to know his guns heheheh

Last edited by TDmvp; 07-10-2013 at 10:07 PM..
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #142
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
How many alcoholics own cars? Oh wait...

Ban cars, and ban alcohol while you're at it.
Whatever dude, I am not saying guns should be banned I am just saying if you have a drinking problem, if you have serious fights with your wife or if you have a teenage son YOU might want to think about NOT buying a gun. Since the odds are far greater that gun will bring violence on someone you know and love.

It's called personal choice.

Thousands of people learn this every year the hard way. Just like the mother in Connecticut when her son took one of her guns and killed her and then went to the school and killed some more.

Last edited by Bacchus; 07-10-2013 at 10:19 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #143
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
This is a great site Lestat , http://www.gunblast.com/ ...

Gun makers send him guns to review and he seems to know his crap...
Maybe check his site on reviews of the .45's you like. (in the search bar on his site)

Anyone who looks like this guy has to know his guns heheheh
hmm... i get the distinct feeling i would get shot by just looking at him.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #144
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
an XDM 40

I have an all black 4.5" model of this gun. Great gun, and great safety features. It's near as unlikely to fire accidentally as a modern single action.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #145
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,854

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Tauras tracker I believe.
Didn't Tommy Lee Jones call that gun a "nickel-plated sissy pistol" in U.S. Marshals?

Here's some expert advice ...

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #146
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,854

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Most of the world prefers the AK47
I know nothing about guns ... except that California's carry laws are the most restrictive, and Washington's the least so. Outside the deep South anyway.

But I think you're right about the AK47 baja, this guy sounds hella sure ...

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #147
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I myself have been thinking about getting a gun.
I have a buddy who loves guns and i swear he buys them just to take them to the range and shoot them more than for defense.

He took me with him to the range a few days ago and let me shoot a couple of his.
I wasn't really paying attention to the brand but he had a .22, .357, 9M and a .40.
It had been years since i fired a gun(last time was with my dad when he was teaching me how to shoot about 12 years ago).

My dad has a 9M and a .45, i prefer the .45 myself.
I was doing some research online,via mags and in stores(or shops) about certain brands and types.
I've settled on a 9M or .45 but i'm not sure which brand to get.
Of the ones i've looked at i like the Walther, Sig Sauer and S&W brands the best.
Which one would be better, Walther PPQ M2, P99, Sig Sauer P250, P229 or Smith & Wesson M&P 45?

I looked at FNH and Glock as well. I like the FNH FNX 45 & Glock G30S. though less so than the others.
In a .45 I'd get the Sig. The decocker on the Sig is the bomb. Chamber a round, decock, and then the firing pin is down. First trigger pull will be double action, subsequent pulls single action. That's what I like about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #148
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,177

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is true, but how many alcoholics own guns, how many people with little kids and teenage boys own guns? As far as I know the list of murders by bat is very few there were 32,000 people killed in 2012 by guns. People just need to be aware of the fact that a burgler coming into your house and harming you or your family is very rare and you need to be aware of what kind of environment you are bringing this gun into.

That is all I am saying. Look at your house and if it is a safe place to have a gun. I have always had guns in my house but they are not there for my protection of a burgler. They are up in the attic locked away.
Wrong. More people get hurt falling down the stairs each year, than do by accidental gun discharge. Perhaps we should mandate baby gates for EVERYONE, not just toddlers.

And I know many people who have young kids and own guns.....myself included. They all are locked in safes.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #149
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you and your wife drink, if you have little kids or a teenage boy or if you have anger issues my gun reccomendation would be do not buy a gun because the odds are a 100 times greater this gun will be used to kill someone you know as opposed to an intruder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is true, but how many alcoholics own guns, how many people with little kids and teenage boys own guns? As far as I know the list of murders by bat is very few there were 32,000 people killed in 2012 by guns. People just need to be aware of the fact that a burgler coming into your house and harming you or your family is very rare and you need to be aware of what kind of environment you are bringing this gun into.

That is all I am saying. Look at your house and if it is a safe place to have a gun. I have always had guns in my house but they are not there for my protection of a burgler. They are up in the attic locked away.
First of all, in one post you say "If you and your wife drink" and then support that with "how many alcoholics own guns..." in the next one. People that drink are not necessarily alcoholics. That was a blind leap to strengthen your point.

Secondly, "As far as I know the list of murders by bat is very few there were 32,000 people killed in 2012 by guns." is incredibly sloppy debate. You can't post a number for one statistic and an assumption for the other. You may be right, but certainly didn't prove it there.

You also say "if you have little kids or a teenage boy or if you have anger issues my gun reccomendation would be do not buy a gun..." While the anger issues point is valid the fact that one has little kids or a teenage boy is irrelevant. Responsible people SHOULD(opinion) have a gun if they have children (regardless or age or sex). More importantly they at least should not be disallowed from owning a gun. If you find yourself important enough to protect I would think you would find your children important enough to protect.


Oh and just for fun: "...because the odds are a 100 times greater this gun will be used to kill someone you know as opposed to an intruder." 78% of all statistics are made up.

If someone legitimately and honestly asks for advice from people they're inherently assuming that people who are knowledgeable on the subject will contribute valuable opinions. Don't be irresponsible and mindlessly throw things out there to suit your agenda.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #150
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,177

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

When my wife and I were arguing about whether or not I was going to get a gun, she said, "I just couldn't live with myself if anyone in our family got hurt because we had a gun in the house." I replied with, "I couldn't live with myself if anyone in our family got hurt because we DIDN'T have a gun in the house."

This letter sums up my feelings.....


I Donít Love Guns. I Just LOVE What My Gun ProtectsÖ
Written by by Tim Schmidt on October 1, 2011.

I guess that headline isnít 100 percent true, because I really do love guns. The point Iím trying to make here is that many people forget that the firearm is only a tool. Itís simply a means to an end. I carry a gun because itís one of the most effective tools that Iím aware of for self-defense.

I carry a gun because Iíve made the personal decision that the person who is 100 percent responsible for the safety of my loved ones is named Tim Schmidt. I carry a gun because I donít think Iíd be able to live with myself if I was ever in a situation where I couldnít protect my wife and kids. I carry a gun because it is one of the many personal protection layers that Iíve created for myself. I carry a gun because while I expect and hope for good and perfect outcomes, I understand that evil will always exist in our world. I carry a gun because my daughter and my wife each believe that no matter what happens, her daddy and her husband will always be able to protect her. I carry a gun because I want to teach my kids that it will someday be their responsibility to protect their loved ones. I carry a gun because I LOVE life. I carry a gun because I am a responsibly armed citizen.


Tim Schmidt, President and CEO, USCCA
Tim Schmidt
Founder, US Concealed Carry, Inc.
Publisher, Concealed Carry Magazine
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Denver Broncos