The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #2276
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I'm not sure but I think Memphis swept them during the season. I remember listening to Bob Fitzgerald say something about Memphis being a horrible match up for them. Iggy helps out though.
i don't think Memphis will be as good next year. too much analytical stat usage over coaching.

but in terms of the Lakers now losing Howard and potentially being a also ran
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #2277
Drunken.Broncoholic

Lakers fans will disappear much like they did after shaq left.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #2278
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

A lot of Laker fans, myself included, are not broke up about this at all. I was hoping that he'd leave. I was never a fan of his, I don't think that he was all that good, and he's too much drama, and for a guy who can't score unless he's right under the basket.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the trade to get him, but I hopped on board in support of the team. But it didn't take long to figure out that it wouldn't work. So good riddance. The Lakers are better off with Pau Gasol at center. When they won the two titles, that's where he was playing, with Odom at PF, and Bynum on the bench. Jim Buss loved Bynum, so Gasol got pushed out to the 3 point line. Then the trade for Howard kept Gasol out there. Hopefully the Lakers go after a stretch 4 and keep Gasol at center.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #2279
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Lakers fans will disappear much like they did after shaq left.
Actually, that didn't happen. If the gauge is attendance at the games, every year since 2001 the Lakers were in the high 18,000s. The three years that they sucked after Shaq left, there was no drop in attendance.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 07-05-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #2280
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Actually, that didn't happen. If the gauge is attendance at the games, every year since 2001 the Lakers were in the high 18,000s. The three years that they sucked after Shaq left, there was no drop in attendance.
Was that count before or after 3rd quarters. The die hards are embarrassed by the fair weather hollywoods who populate those seats just to be seen. There's plenty of loyal lakers fans like yourself but there's plenty of fans who hide or "don't care" when they lose. Every fanbase has them. Lakers just have a more abundance of them
Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #2281
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Was that count before or after 3rd quarters. The die hards are embarrassed by the fair weather hollywoods who populate those seats just to be seen. There's plenty of loyal lakers fans like yourself but there's plenty of fans who hide or "don't care" when they lose. Every fanbase has them. Lakers just have a more abundance of them
Yes, there is the Hollywood crowd at Laker games, especially court side. But when going to a Laker game, like 99% of the people there are just normal folks.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #2282
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Heat fans are the same. Disgusts me.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #2283
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Thinking about this some more, I do agree with you, but I don't know how anybody would gauge whose fan base has more die hard fans and whose fan base has more phony fans.

Is this more of an issue with the Lakers than, lets say, the Broncos? I've read on this board a lot, especially the first few years of the new stadium, that a lot of the fans in the lower level were phonies. Weren't they called the whine and cheese fans? Or the fans who were in the corporate seats? The fans who did not make a lot of noise like in the old Mile High.

I'm just speculating, but I'd say that in the larger markets, or markets with a lot of corporate sponsors, it is probably more of an issue.

LA is a Lakers town with a boat load of die hard fans. The Hollywood crowd is an extremely small segment of the fan base, but people outside of LA act like the Hollywood crowd is the fan base.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #2284
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Thinking about this some more, I do agree with you, but I don't know how anybody would gauge whose fan base has more die hard fans and whose fan base has more phony fans.

Is this more of an issue with the Lakers than, lets say, the Broncos? I've read on this board a lot, especially the first few years of the new stadium, that a lot of the fans in the lower level were phonies. Weren't they called the whine and cheese fans? Or the fans who were in the corporate seats? The fans who did not make a lot of noise like in the old Mile High.

I'm just speculating, but I'd say that in the larger markets, or markets with a lot of corporate sponsors, it is probably more of an issue.

LA is a Lakers town with a boat load of die hard fans. The Hollywood crowd is an extremely small segment of the fan base, but people outside of LA act like the Hollywood crowd is the fan base.
Lakers and Heat clearly have the biggest bandwagon fans. they show up late, leave early and only really pay attention if they're chasing a championship.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #2285
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:

Bigger markets do have something to do with it. More people means more variety of fan. Winning brings the phonies out too. When the winning stops these are the first to say they don't care. There's another team in LA who gets minimal recognition because they don't win. Same big market different success. There will be an influx of fans for the clippers cause it will be the hipster thing to do. These new fans aren't Clipper Darrell's.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #2286
Drunken.Broncoholic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V00lsQwVeI

Clipper Darrell is a die hard in that market for the other team.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #2287
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Lakers and Heat clearly have the biggest bandwagon fans. they show up late, leave early and only really pay attention if they're chasing a championship.
Okay, so I guess you've lived in both places and been to a number of home games to come to this conclusion.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #2288
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Okay, so I guess you've lived in both places and been to a number of home games to come to this conclusion.
attendance figures, reputation, players on the team wanting them to show up earlier and saying so publicly, watching games on tv and seeing empty seats early, then fill, then empty early.

south Florida is known for fans taking their leisurely time in getting to and attending games. football is the lone exception when it's not a golf tourney.
that's why the it's always tough to get new ballparks done for non football sports.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #2289
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
attendance figures, reputation, players on the team wanting them to show up earlier and saying so publicly, watching games on tv and seeing empty seats early, then fill, then empty early.

south Florida is known for fans taking their leisurely time in getting to and attending games. football is the lone exception when it's not a golf tourney.
that's why the it's always tough to get new ballparks done for non football sports.
Miami dolphins attendance slide over the last decade. Marlins empty stadiums. Even TB rays can't attract with winning. With the exception of college teams Florida just doesn't take sports seriously.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2290
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V00lsQwVeI

Clipper Darrell is a die hard in that market for the other team.
I've spoken to Clipper Darrell a few time. I wouldn't use him as an example. Dude seems like he has some mental issues. I'm a die hard fan, but I'm not about to paint my car half blue and half orange, or half purple and and half yellow, or wear wear a suit that is half of each color. And I'm not going to try to make a profit off of my favorite team by adding their name to mines and then doing paid appearances, which causes the team to disown me.

Oh, and he told me a few years back that he was in talks with Mark Cuban to go be Mavericks Darrell. I have no ideal if that was true or not. The guy is a weirdo.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #2291
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Lots of Heat fans in Miami. They are all over the place in South Florida. Does winning have to do with it? Sure does. Bandwagoners for Lakers/Heat? You betcha. They win. And as the Heat continue to win they have more and more national bandwagoners. The Heat have overtaken South Florida as the #1 team down here.

The dolphins have been so bad for so long, even they are not showing up. Sun Life Stadium is piss poor and hot as ****. It needs a roof, but the florida legislator shot down. Have fun going to a game in Sept in that stadium with a 1pm game. Good luck.

The Canes never draw fans. Always been that way. And now that they have moved to Sun Life, it's worse.

Panthers? Well, they are located way north for me and I don't go. I mean, really. Hockey down here in this hot ass weather? What is the point?

Baseball? Welp, nobody cares. The new stadium has put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and the owner sucks. The Marlins are so bad that people don't even hate them anymore. They just don't care. Back to ten dollar payroll and being a farm team. Yah

South Florida has a lot of transplants. Orange/myself? We're Bronco fans. I piss and laugh at the fins. There are so many transplants down here who are fans of other teams.

The weather is nice down here. Lots of outdoor activities to do all year round. I'm sure it's the same in LA. If your local team sucks ass, you go do something else with your time. For example, this isn't Cleveland, Detroit, Green Bay, etc where that's all you have. This isn't a die hard sports town like other cities out there. We have access to many things to do outside of watching sports all day at the stadium/on tv.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2292
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:

Reputation is based on perception, not reality. The national perception of a Lakers game is that there are a whole lot of celebrities. If you go to a Lakers game, maybe you'll spot one or two, but not many, and you won't be meeting any.

If you go by attendance, the Lakers have been consistently at the top of the league, even in those three years after Shaq left. The Lakers are always in the upper 18,000s per game.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2293
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

And the Dodgers attendance has always been good, near the top of the league, except in the final year with Frank McCourt. People boycotted the games and the attendance went way down that one year.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2294
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Lots of Heat fans in Miami. They are all over the place in South Florida. Does winning have to do with it? Sure does. Bandwagoners for Lakers/Heat? You betcha. They win. And as the Heat continue to win they have more and more national bandwagoners. The Heat have overtaken South Florida as the #1 team down here.

The dolphins have been so bad for so long, even they are not showing up. Sun Life Stadium is piss poor and hot as ****. It needs a roof, but the florida legislator shot down. Have fun going to a game in Sept in that stadium with a 1pm game. Good luck.

The Canes never draw fans. Always been that way. And now that they have moved to Sun Life, it's worse.

Panthers? Well, they are located way north for me and I don't go. I mean, really. Hockey down here in this hot ass weather? What is the point?

Baseball? Welp, nobody cares. The new stadium has put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and the owner sucks. The Marlins are so bad that people don't even hate them anymore. They just don't care. Back to ten dollar payroll and being a farm team. Yah

South Florida has a lot of transplants. Orange/myself? We're Bronco fans. I piss and laugh at the fins. There are so many transplants down here who are fans of other teams.

The weather is nice down here. Lots of outdoor activities to do all year round. I'm sure it's the same in LA. If your local team sucks ass, you go do something else with your time. For example, this isn't Cleveland, Detroit, Green Bay, etc where that's all you have. This isn't a die hard sports town like other cities out there. We have access to many things to do outside of watching sports all day at the stadium/on tv.
If Heat have zero championships, they would be in the same boat as the Dolphins most likely.
But those people LIVE for college football. Gators, Seminoles, and Hurricanes to a lesser extent.
As for baseball, even when the Marlins were winning their World Series, attendance was ****ty. They had great teams, but attendance was so crappy still.
They went out and spent a boat load on guys two offseasons ago, and basically failed on every move they made. So they had two choices, keep the guys and hope they rebound, or trade them away for prospects. I think they made the right moves. They are going to be awful for a few years, but if these guys can progress like they are capable of, they could be a solid club again.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #2295
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The Cleveland Cavaliers are reportedly trying to offer a deal to a free-agent center in an effort to complete their playoff puzzle, a source close to situation reported on Thursday.

The Cavs, who recently signed former Los Angeles Lakers forward Earl Clark, are pursuing restricted free-agent center Nikola Pekovic.

Pekovic played three seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves, averaging 11.6 points and 6.2 rebounds. With Kevin Love out with a broken hand, Pekovic emerged as the T-Wolves premier bigman by averaging 16.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.

At age 27, Pekovic is still expected to command a lucrative deal and the Cavs are willing to unload some contracts to get their center.

One possible scenario is to pull off a sign-and-trade deal with the Cavs sending Anderson Verajao to the Wolves for Pekovic, who's a restricted free-agent.

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/...la-pekovic.htm

Is he worth it?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2296
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

for varejo yes. for long term however......
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #2297
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
for varejo yes. for long term however......
I really like Varejao, but he hasn't stayed healthy in a few seasons. It looks like Pekovic is about the same type of player stats wise. A little better score, not as good of a rebounder, and the PER is about the same.

I don't know what they are planning to do with TT and Bennett. TT came on strong the second half, but Bennett is a better fit for Irving. It sounds like they want Earl Clark to play SF and I wouldn't sleep on the other first rounder Sergey Karasev. If this kid is as good of a shooter as they say he is, he will be getting lots of minutes. Maybe they will use Karasey at SG till he puts on more weight.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #2298
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The Cleveland Cavaliers added quality depth to their backcourt, striking a four-year $25 million deal with veteran guard Jarrett Jack, two people with direct knowledge of the contract told USA TODAY Sports.

They requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the deal until the free-agent moratorium ends on July 10.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tract/2495481/
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #2299
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Love what the Clippers are doing. Got a great coach and Reddick plus Collison were some solid pieces to add to their team.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2300
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Love what the Clippers are doing. Got a great coach and Reddick plus Collison were some solid pieces to add to their team.
no chips going there. Just look at the roster. They aren't winning anything big.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote