The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #701
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I'm not necessarily a fanboi for either company, although I've had the last two M$ consoles since the PS1. I'm just surprised people have so quickly forgotten that Sony was essentially willing to install a virus on your computer to prevent you from ripping Sony CDs.

Let's keep our eyes open here. That's all I'm saying.
And that was by a different division for a company that now has an entirely new CEO installing a new corporate hierarchy.

Doesn't mean Sony wouldn't do something like that if they thought it was in their best interests, but as an example to forecast Sony's philosophy towards consumers going forward it falls quite a bit short compared to the more recent pro-consumer decisions they've made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
It doesn't pale in comparison. They installed software that gave them god privelage on your computer remotely without your knowledge. you are speculating that Microsoft spied while Sony was caught actually spying.
MS was the first tech company pulled into PRISM man. It isn't speculation that they were spying on consumers, they overtly were on a massive scale while Sony was making a DRM play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Sony really has screwed the pooch recently. They are getting their trash handed to them by Korean companies right now.
By "recently" do you mean five years ago? Sony's focus is not the same as it was a few years ago. They've been actively reducing their involvement on TVs, Blu-Ray/DVD players, etc. because those aren't markets where they can compete with lower cost of labor that South Korean and Chinese companies can leverage, especially when their tech advantage can simply be hired away with how exploitable patent laws have become.

Instead they've moved strongly towards their media divisions, Playstation, and focused on delivering more compelling smartphone and tablet offerings. The new Xperia line is a great example of this.

I'm betting that about 10 years from now Sony will be even further removed from their TV roots. Ultimately I think we're going to see a SoC solution by someone that will be included in most TVs, Blu-Ray players, etc. that is entirely built around handling user input on a streaming video game service a la Netflix. Sony has a strong lead on this front thanks to the purchase of Gaikai, and it dovetails perfectly with what they've been pushing with PS+ and are promising with the PS4 (ability to remote play on Vita, Gaikai play on Vita, Android, iOS).
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #702
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
In reality what I think they're trying to do is 'teach' everyone their mobile UI by forcing it on them in Windows on their PC @ home. Then when you go to Best Buy and look at tablets, you'll look at Windows tablets and say "Hey, I already know how to do everything, it's just like my PC at home" They're that desperate to get into the Mobile/Tablet market.
Yep. They're trying to copy Apple's ecosystem. My wife has used Macs for years, when we went phone shopping for her a few years back it was Galaxy S v. iPhone. The slight price difference was completely irrelevant to her when she noticed that all of the icons and terminology she's familiar with from OS X is on iOS.

Now we're looking to upgrade our personal computing set up, and we've pretty much decided that instead of buying another laptop for her we're just going to get her an iPad with keyboard.

She knows the environment, has purchased apps within the environment, and isn't unhappy enough with it at any point to really look into changing. Apple has effectively "won" her as a consumer as long as they don't get too out of hand with their pricing or feature restrictions.

Microsoft is trying to do the same, but they don't have the same brand loyalty that Apple had with the OS X line of laptops and desktops. Windows is viewed with mild animosity by most and MS hasn't done anything to fix that while jumping full force into using Windows to leverage their other ventures.

Quote:
Unfortunately using a PC like a tablet is a bad idea. They'd be better off focusing on how to allow tablets to do what PCs do (as much as possible)

For example, there's still not a really credible Microsoft Office platform for tablets or mobile. That could be a game changer, but they chose not to go there with Office '13, instead focusing on making those of us with huge widescreen monitors explore every corner of the world in order to get even the simplest tasks done (reboot?)
Excellent point. There is definitely a lot of money out there for the first company that delivers a highly productive mobile office suite. Tablets are beginning to work their way into the corporate world and that one app would be all that is needed to completely marginalize personal computers to a tool only the most high end users in a company actually need to touch.

Right now MS lives off the corporate customer, and Office is a big part of that. If Apple or Google beat them to ideal office software for a tablet MS is going to see the war they're trying to take to Apple and Google move straight in to MS' home turf.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #703
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Microsoft is trying to do the same, but they don't have the same brand loyalty that Apple had with the OS X line of laptops and desktops. Windows is viewed with mild animosity by most and MS hasn't done anything to fix that while jumping full force into using Windows to leverage their other ventures.
Apple may have brand loyalty going for it vs Microsoft, but Microsoft has traditionally been head and shoulders above for people who don't generally care much about things like brand loyalty in technology. Apple's walled garden is great for some. But infuriating for many others. I tend to fall in the latter camp. I want to do what I want to do with my device. Not what Apple wants me to do with it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #704
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
that's the whole point though, is that consumers shouldn't be forced to download third party applications to return the desktop function to what was the previous standard. i could certainly tweak it however i like, but that's only because i'm a dork and i'm into all this tech stuff. i don't think an aunt, a grandfather, or any other random consumer would have as much knowledge in that regard, and that's why microsoft's current mode of business is frustrating -- the are taking already widely successful (and highly praised) products, and trying to force feed all this new crap THEY think is now better.

fwiw, the only windows i own is an old vista copy. i'm running 8 and 8.1 in virtualbox just to play around to see if i'd want to pay for the upgrade. i don't.
I agree it is a big risk to reinvent what has worked well, but consider the fact that traditional PC's are dying quickly and the XP OS line (through Vista and Win 7) are difficult to use with touch. They are trying to provide one solution for all and model iterative updates over time (thus 8.1 release) much like that of their competitors (OSx and Android).

I don't fault them for trying, but also don't deny that 8 has not been received well. I do however, believe that 8.1 is a very nice upgrade allowing me to boot to desktop, giving me a start button, allowing me to customize a menu screen and return my desktop, recycle bin, control panel and home folder to my desktop.

Regarding your upgrade purchase I gotcha now. Makes sense. I thought you owned 8 now. I believe we will see one of these major overhauls a year now however much like that of the OSX and android update process.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #705
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
In reality what I think they're trying to do is 'teach' everyone their mobile UI by forcing it on them in Windows on their PC @ home. Then when you go to Best Buy and look at tablets, you'll look at Windows tablets and say "Hey, I already know how to do everything, it's just like my PC at home" They're that desperate to get into the Mobile/Tablet market.

Unfortunately using a PC like a tablet is a bad idea. They'd be better off focusing on how to allow tablets to do what PCs do (as much as possible)

For example, there's still not a really credible Microsoft Office platform for tablets or mobile. That could be a game changer, but they chose not to go there with Office '13, instead focusing on making those of us with huge widescreen monitors explore every corner of the world in order to get even the simplest tasks done (reboot?)

Windows 8 is terrible on the desktop. Taking out everything it brought in can't be considered a solution.
Of all the apps, 2013 rocks on my tablet. Specifically Outlook. I am faster moving emails to a folder using touch than with traditional mouse.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #706
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Of all the apps, 2013 rocks on my tablet. Specifically Outlook. I am faster moving emails to a folder using touch than with traditional mouse.
Outlook may be one thing, but on the whole (Preparation H ) it seems strange that a company ramming their touch gui down every throat in their OS seems to only have it as an afterthought on their bread n' butter application suite.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...am-been-doing/

Their strategy seems to be force you into touch features when you don't need them, and then ignore half of those features when you do.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #707
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I'll be getting the XBOX One, pretty excited about it.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #708
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I'll be getting the XBOX One, pretty excited about it.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #709
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Your avatar is ALWAYS relevant and appreciated.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #710
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Outlook may be one thing, but on the whole (Preparation H ) it seems strange that a company ramming their touch gui down every throat in their OS seems to only have it as an afterthought on their bread n' butter application suite.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...am-been-doing/

Their strategy seems to be force you into touch features when you don't need them, and then ignore half of those features when you do.
Yeah its a hard balance. Conversly, if you fork the OS to a touch based solution, does it sell separately?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #711
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Your avatar is ALWAYS relevant and appreciated.
Wish we had a thread dedicated to its relevance.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #712
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Ya know, I honestly don't remember her name...I'll have to do some checking around!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #713
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

I think we can all agree that this thread just turned awesome.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #714
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
[IMG]...
Two threads removed in the last week because of google not liking boobs and you post this?

They are real, and they are fabulous, but show some tact man.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #715
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

now I turn my anger towards google.