The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #201
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Don't force your lifestyle on my kids...
Nobody's forcing any "lifestyle" on them. And being gay isn't a "lifestyle". They didn't choose it. Your kids are either straight or gay. And hopefully you'd love them either way. I know I would mine.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #202
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Talking about a religion and forcing the practice of a religion (or behavior compliant with that religion through law or other force) on someone are entirely different beasts.

Likewise, having people talk to your kids about homosexuality is not the same thing as coercing them to somehow participate in it.
Unfortunately there is no gray and liberals have showed that in force with regards to religion. Hell, Christmas at my son's school is now the Winter Solstice. I call it stupid but don't really care. School should serve it's purpose but with regards to some of the conversations listed on this thread, those topics are best left at home for families to teach their kids about and not folks with an agenda.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #203
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Only in the mind of lunatics is talking about he existence of something "forcing" that thing on someone.

Is talking about criminal behavior "forcing" the "criminal lifestyle" on someone? No.

Likewise, it talking about religion "forcing" it on someone? Also no.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #204
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no gray and liberals have showed that in force with regards to religion. Hell, Christmas at my son's school is now the Winter Solstice. I call it stupid but don't really care. School should serve it's purpose but with regards to some of the conversations listed on this thread, those topics are best left at home for families to teach their kids about and not folks with an agenda.
What "agendas"?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #205
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Obama would and he's a good source for what the mainstream, progressive liberal conscience is.
Obama is a ****in moderate, stop calling him a liberal. If he's a liberal, hes a bad liberal.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #206
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Nobody's forcing any "lifestyle" on them. And being gay isn't a "lifestyle". They didn't choose it. Your kids are either straight or gay. And hopefully you'd love them either way. I know I would mine.
I know a lot of bi-sexual people that choose to be that way. Huh?

Should my child choose to be gay, i'll still love them. I don't have to love the act to continuing doing so. My thoughts of them as a person would not be impacted by this decision, just like folks I meet all the time that are gay.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #207
TonyR
Franchise Poster

So then, bpc, you think being gay is a "choice"?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #208
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I'm as liberal as they come, was raised Jewish (though an athiest), and i love the idea of christmas (and i assume most do). So don't group us in with those people, just as you don't wanna be grouped in with every other religious wingnut.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #209
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Should my child choose to be gay, i'll still love them. I don't have to love the act to continuing doing so. My thoughts of them as a person would not be impacted by this decision, just like folks I meet all the time that are gay.
ITS NOT A CHOICE
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #210
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
“The right to marry whoever one wishes is an elementary human right compared to which ‘the right to attend an integrated school, the right to sit where one pleases on a bus, the right to go into any hotel or recreation area or place of amusement, regardless of one’s skin or color or race’ are minor indeed. Even political rights, like the right to vote, and nearly all other rights enumerated in the Constitution, are secondary to the inalienable human rights to ‘life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness’ proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence; and to this category the right to home and marriage unquestionably belongs.”
- Political theorist and philosopher Hannah Arendt, author of The Human Condition, in 1959.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #211
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Oh look, an ad hominem. Fun!
You might want to look that one up.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #212
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You might want to look that one up.
You post boils down to calling me shallow, and provides no actual argument.

Classic ad hominem bub.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #213
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
No, i wouldnt ban anything, and I think time will wash religion away. It might be A LOT of time, but unless the voice of "God" shouts from the skies in the next 500-1000 years, I think it'll go to the fringe.

I do, however, thinks its poisonous to teach kids that the Earth is only a few thousand years old and also counter productive to have dishonest conversations about sex with them.
And I think it's more dangerous to teach them that surrendering their challenges and problems to a central political authority is the right way to go.

Anyway, there's no intellectual consistency to allowing private schools (or home schools) and mandatory government-sponsored sex education.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #214
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
You post boils down to calling me shallow, and provides no actual argument.

Classic ad hominem bub.
I called the idea shallow. Which it is. But an Ad Hominem by any stretch, it is not.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #215
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I called the idea shallow. Which it is. But an Ad Hominem by any stretch, it is not.
That statement is stupid!

(got it?)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #216
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
That statement is stupid!

(got it?)
Right. Not an ad hominem. Good work.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #217
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

The choice is to engage in sexual activity. It goes no further. What you are attracted to does not change, and it is not chosen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #218
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Right. Not an ad hominem. Good work.
If you want to provide a valid argument, rather than an ad hominem, argue what exactly you find wrong with what I said. Don't just call it, and me by implication, shallow.

Though seriously, if you can't even figure out that what you said is an ad hominem, what's the point?

Last edited by Fedaykin; 06-27-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #219
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
The choice is to engage in sexual activity.
Is it?

Are you sure you guys really want in on this marriage thing?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #220
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
If you want to provide a valid argument, rather than an ad hominem, argue what exactly you find wrong with what I said. Don't just call it and me implication, me shallow.

Though seriously, if you can't even figure out that what you said is an ad hominem, what's the point?
Young children continually challenge the difference between "That's stupid" and "You're stupid"

I think for the most part they figure out the difference around 2nd-3rd grade. But keep trying. You'll get there.

(that last part was an ad hominem, for your reference, just in case you need it for your next session as OM Language Professor )
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #221
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
And I think it's more dangerous to teach them that surrendering their challenges and problems to a central political authority is the right way to go.

Anyway, there's no intellectual consistency to allowing private schools (or home schools) and mandatory government-sponsored sex education.
Kids are so incredibly dumb when it comes to sex education because we either 1) teach them incorrectly or 2) are afraid of the conversation because of some moralistic standard. We'd all be better off knowing the truth about our actions so we can make informed, responsible decisions earlier in life. I think sex education should become mandatory, as i think a current events class should too.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #222
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Is it?

Are you sure you guys really want in on this marriage thing?

Not particularly. BUT, gay divorce disputes on Judge Judy will be epic.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #223
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Kids are so incredibly dumb when it comes to sex education because we either 1) teach them incorrectly or 2) are afraid of the conversation because of some moralistic standard. We'd all be better off knowing the truth about our actions so we can make informed, responsible decisions earlier in life. I think sex education should become mandatory, as i think a current events class should too.

I think anything before 5th grade is too soon for sex education. Make it mandatory and have actual health professionals teach it, not gym coaches. I remember in 9th grade being broken up into boy/girl classes so we could learn about our bodies. Nothing is as awkward as a lesbian gym teacher explaining to a bunch of 14 year old boys the mechanics of an erection.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #224
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Ooooh, forced federal "current events" lessons. I think Chairman M and JoStal had something like that. This progressive vision just gets better and better.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #225
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I think anything before 5th grade is too soon for sex education. Make it mandatory and have actual health professionals teach it, not gym coaches.
Agree with this 100%. The school nurse is probably a good candidate. Some of these gym teachers are no better than the parents.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote