The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

having my job bagged on by a theater manager is pretty funny. You are wrong also because adults right now making 15 bucks an hour will expect a huge raise when you start paying some 17 yr old kid 15 bucks an hour when the adult worked 5 yrs to get to that wage. Tons of companies business models would be out the door if they had to pay the workers 15 bucks an hour. Theaters would close, fast food would close, restaurants would close, because no one would be willing to pay 30 bucks to see a movie.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #27
houghtam
Ring of Famer

And actually, cut, I would even be willing to consider LOWERING the minimum wage for dependents since, in the literal sense, they depend on someone else for support.

$5.00 an hour for dependent employees.

Looks like your best buds from Pacific and Arclight just switched over to my side.

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Actually isn't netflix doing really well again now? but that business model a lot different from brick and mortar stores and businesses. The fact you compare their business models shows why you are a theater worker.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
And actually, cut, I would even be willing to consider LOWERING the minimum wage for dependents since, in the literal sense, they depend on someone else for support.

Looks like your best buds from Pacific and Arclight just switched over to my side.

That would just make dependent kids not work and hurt low wage families who depend on them to help out. You're ideas are crap.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
having my job bagged on by a theater manager is pretty funny. You are wrong also because adults right now making 15 bucks an hour will expect a huge raise when you start paying some 17 yr old kid 15 bucks an hour when the adult worked 5 yrs to get to that wage. Tons of companies business models would be out the door if they had to pay the workers 15 bucks an hour. Theaters would close, fast food would close, restaurants would close, because no one would be willing to pay 30 bucks to see a movie.
Nowhere did I say theaters would pay 17 year olds $15 an hour. For a paralegal you sure don't know how to ****ing read.

And as far as giving raises to people already making what the minimum wage is going to be? Guess what? EVERY business that pays minimum wage had to do that very thing just a few years ago when it went up to $7.25. You know what those employers did? They used it as an opportunity to have everyone re-interview for their jobs. Businesses would have no problem saying to an employee "you know what, you were worth $15 an hour yesterday, that's what you're worth today", just as they had no problem saying "you were worth $6.50 but you're not worth $7.25."
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Actually isn't netflix doing really well again now? but that business model a lot different from brick and mortar stores and businesses. The fact you compare their business models shows why you are a theater worker.
I didn't compare business models, I compared market reaction to price increases. The fact that you compare the two shows why you got a Sally Strouthers degree.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

That would just make dependent kids not work and hurt low wage families who depend on them to help out. You're ideas are crap. I golfed with the senior risk manager from arc light just a few weeks ago Houghtam. Meanwhile you were cleaning bathrooms. This weekend my band playing for Meals on Wheels for wounded vets in Long Beach through the Veterans Hospital. What are you doing this weekend? Popping some popcorn? I will be hanging out with old dudes who toured with the Drifters hearing awesome stories all while supporting those in need. Let me guess you will be seeing if Johnny can work on Friday night because Nancy quit. Try harder dude.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That would just make dependent kids not work and hurt low wage families who depend on them to help out. You're ideas are crap.
How would it make them not work? Businesses would be scrambling to hire them, dumb****. Ask your friends at Pacific if they know which is more, $5 or $15, maybe they can work it out for you.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #34
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I didn't compare business models, I compared market reaction to price increases. The fact that you compare the two shows why you got a Sally Strouthers degree.
You can't compare a digital company to a brick and mortar in anything really.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #35
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
How would it make them not work? Businesses would be scrambling to hire them, dumb****. Ask your friends at Pacific if they know which is more, $5 or $15, maybe they can work it out for you.
No parent will make kid go work for 5 bucks an hour when the other ones making 15. They will go surfing at the beach and low income families will have to decide whether to not claim the kid or let him work for 5 bucks an hour.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #36
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That would just make dependent kids not work and hurt low wage families who depend on them to help out. You're ideas are crap. I golfed with the senior risk manager from arc light just a few weeks ago Houghtam. Meanwhile you were cleaning bathrooms. This weekend my band playing for Meals on Wheels for wounded vets in Long Beach through the Veterans Hospital. What are you doing this weekend? Popping some popcorn? I will be hanging out with old dudes who toured with the Drifters hearing awesome stories all while supporting those in need. Let me guess you will be seeing if Johnny can work on Friday night because Nancy quit. Try harder dude.
enjoy your day at work tomorrow, chump. I haven't had to work for two years. This weekend? The same thing I did today, yesterday, and the day before that...relaxing with my kids!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #37
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Houghtam you are just silly sometimes. I love it though you make me laugh.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #38
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
enjoy your day at work tomorrow, chump. I haven't had to work for two years. This weekend? The same thing I did today, yesterday, and the day before that...relaxing with my kids!
You're old? Oh I thought you were like 30 lol. Either that are your lady takes care of you. No one retires early from being a theater manager.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #39
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also I love my job sitting around with kids does not make me jealous lol.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No parent will make kid go work for 5 bucks an hour when the other ones making 15. They will go surfing at the beach and low income families will have to decide whether to not claim the kid or let him work for 5 bucks an hour.
Or? No, if they claim him, that's what he gets. You're still not understanding. And what "other ones" are making $15? In the example I gave, you know, the theater I used to personally manage, ALL but 3 or 4 employees would have made $5 under this law, and those few were in their 40s. I think you vastly underestimate the number of young people willing to work out there.

But regardless, that was my compromise. The fact remains that prices won't go through the roof if the minimum wage is increased. Why? Because math, that's why. Now go back to your paper shredding.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You're old? Oh I thought you were like 30 lol. Either that are your lady takes care of you. No one retires early from being a theater manager.
Shows what you know. Some people are smarter with their money than others. Some people aren't materialistic. Some people are comfortable. And no, I'm much closer to 30 than I am to "old".
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Shows what you know. Some people are smarter with their money than others. Some people aren't materialistic. Some people are comfortable. And no, I'm much closer to 30 than I am to "old".
BS your wife works or something. You don't manage money well and retire at 30 from the theater working business lol. Shame on you for working your wife while you sit home and kick it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm saving up for a 7000.00 dollar sax so i have to make money.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #44
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Enjoy the grind, chump! Going to the park tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #45
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

ok I will Mr Mom have fun at the park with the other moms.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #46
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
dont knock it till youve tried it, hanging around yummy mummys all day isnt a bad thing
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #47
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
If I were a glorified secretary that had, at best, a questionable grasp on grammar I wouldn't be thumping my chest quite so much.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #48
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A small start would be abolishing the practice of tips being legally substituted for actual pay.

Why should anyone work for $2.15 and hope that the schmucks they are serving are decent enough to make up the difference between that and a livable wage?

Why should a comely, young female be able to make far more money serving than an equally competent homely, older female or a male? Why should a server working for a ritzy restaurant automatically and arbitrarily get paid more than an equally competent server at a more modest establishment? Why should only the server be dependent on said schmucks' decency? Why not the cook and other people who all have as much and sometimes a lot more impact on the quality of your service/meal?

Servers and other traditionally 'tip supported' workers should have the same wage requirements as any other employees. If you really want to try to buy the hot waitress with an actual tip (rather than the current situation which is you directly paying that person's wage), go ahead.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 06-27-2013 at 05:29 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #49
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
#1 - People leave Netflix in droves after a mere announcement that they were raising rates, and you're talking about companies raising prices of hamburgers.

#2 - You don't work with top management at Pacific and Arclight. Your company represents them. YOU are a glorified file clerk and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

#3 - With the txtebow/houghtam bipartisan minimum wage plan () is actually perfect for theaters as well as fast food, retailers, etc. You simply only allow the upper end minimum wage law to take effect for those who are not claimed as dependents. Don't tie it to age, as that could be challenged for age discrimination, but to my knowledge, there is nothing against discrimatoon based on dependent status. Those types of jobs are great for young people...at my last location there were three maybe four employees (out of about 50) who weren't still claimed by their parents.
Basically this would be a hire dependents and otherwise automate people out of work program. Doubling the cost of low skills workers brings many other options into feasibility.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #50
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I don't hire people. Do it all myself. **** em. By the time we're done, we have to pay the CDOT wage scale which is $20.57 (we learned this because when we paid a guy $20/hour, they held up $25,000 till we proved we paid him an extra $17), then the cost of workmans comp insurance, and putting them on our vehicle insurance, not including the benefits they want, end up shelling out more for them than what I pay myself as it is. And hell, bring minimum wage up to $15, then CDOT's scale gets bumped up to 30-35/hour.

Then get to listen to them b**** and moan about breaks and lunch breaks and all that bull****...screw that, they can eat on their own time. I don't have time for that crap. Just my dad and I do it all ourselves. It gets tough but it's a hell of a lot easier than dealing with employees with a ****ed up attitude who couldn't care less about the company employing them. Let our competitors deal with that hassle.

Last edited by spdirty; 06-27-2013 at 10:16 AM..
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote