The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default IRS: the scandal that never was

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/politi...ing/index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3492679.html

Apparently, the IRS was targeting liberal/progressive groups as well,something that conservatives convenently ignored. GOPs case essentially got blown out of the water.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/politi...ing/index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3492679.html

Apparently, the IRS was targeting liberal/progressive groups as well,something that conservatives convenently ignored. GOPs case essentially got blown out of the water.
Issa says,
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Wait, not only did Obama have the Tea Party and conservatives on his enemy list but also liberal and progressive groups!? My God, then They where right, He can be all four!

Thanks to the crazies, you where right!

Last edited by El Minion; 06-26-2013 at 04:29 PM..
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Not to mention according to Issa's own interviews, the person in charge of this targeting was not a liberal, but a self proclaimed conservative.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Beavis? No comment? You blew an awful lot of smoke. Where's the fire?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

We pointed out at the beginning that liberals were targeted too and that the GOP was using this for political gain. The rightard cheerleaders around here thought that this was the worst thing to ever happen to the US.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Tumbleweeds and crickets. Chirp chirp chirp.

Where's Beavis? Where's Taco John? Where's cut?

What of this dreaded 2014 backlash?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Beavis? No comment? You blew an awful lot of smoke. Where's the fire?
Keep smokin' that pole, Tone.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...eliana-johnson

Quote:
The treatment of progressive groups cannot be equated to that of tea-party groups. The term “progressive” was flagged in a general warning to agency screeners — one that remained on the list throughout the time in question — that the applications of progressive organizations may not merit 501(c)(3) designation, which prohibits groups from engaging in political activity. That warning, according to an IRS source familiar with the review process, did not prevent first-line screeners from recommending an application be approved.

The same lists, between August 2010 and February 2012, directed screeners by default to send tea-party applications to a special group for further review and for coordination with lawyers in Washington, D.C. “They are different,” says the agency source of the designations made for progressive and tea-party groups.
Jeez, I thought you guys said this was just a few rogue Cincy agents. Now suddenly we find out that all Tea Party apps went straight to purgatory in DC, with not a single one ever getting approved, and you guys are still closing cases because someone might have used a different key word sometimes (and then approved the app anyway)

Can you demonstrate a similar denial pattern (aka total)? No. But you'll latch onto whatever distraction you can while the investigation of why DC wanted all those Tea Party apps buried continues.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

So the IRS paid attention to self proclaimed anti tax groups looking for tax free status. Go figure.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Now,Darrel issa is trying to backtrack,claiming he never tried to say it was the white house behind the IRS not only targeting conservative groups but liberal groups as well. Lets remember the scandal was about idea that IRS was only targeting conservatives.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

No. Liberal groups were also targeted. That was known from the start. The turnover time was the big difference
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
No. Liberal groups were also targeted. That was known from the start. The turnover time was the big difference
Actually far more liberal groups were targeted then originally stated by Darell issa. All you heard on the news was "IRS singles out conservative groups" but with dems releasing the full transcripts & recent testimony it comes out they were targeting liberals alot as well. It wasn't some conspiracy dreamed up by the white house to only target conservatives.

Edit* come to think of it, Darrell Issa never mentioned that liberal groups were targeted.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Who believes ALEC deserves to be a tax exempt organization?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Actually far more liberal groups were targeted then originally stated by Darell issa. All you heard on the news was "IRS singles out conservative groups" but with dems releasing the full transcripts & recent testimony it comes out they were targeting liberals alot as well. It wasn't some conspiracy dreamed up by the white house to only target conservatives.
Like I said. The turnover time was vastly different.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Like I said. The turnover time was vastly different.
Only cause there were more conservatives applying for tax exempt status then libs. No scandal there.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Only cause there were more conservatives applying for tax exempt status then libs. No scandal there.
No. That has nothing to do with it.

I can't remember the exact difference but say one of each group was applying at the same time. The "conservative group" would take 2 to 3 times as long to get approved of even reviewed.

Now I am not saying the Admin was behind this. To me this is what I expect of Government run institutions. A lack of organization and oversight while mandating that private businesses live by a different set of rules.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I can't remember the exact difference but say one of each group was applying at the same time. The "conservative group" would take 2 to 3 times as long to get approved of even reviewed.

Now I am not saying the Admin was behind this. To me this is what I expect of Government run institutions. A lack of organization and oversight while mandating that private businesses live by a different set of rules.
The line has been blurred for decades. This exemption specifically states that it is only for organizations engaged "exclusively for social welfare". That means for all these organizations, any money spent on advocacy needs to be taxed. IMO the IRS isn't overreaching, 501c organizations (both left and right) are attempting to scam the system.

Instead of having to determine first whether a group is operating outside the bounds of the social welfare exception, then determine how much money was spent doing so and then how much should be taxed, the law should state that if your organization gets involved in any sort of political advocacy whatsoever, whether it is endorsing a candidate, telling someone how to vote, or collecting signatures or a ballot initiative, your entire organization, be it the NAACP, a church, or a tea party group, falls under X category, and must pay taxes based on the overall worth of the organization, not just how much you've spent on advocacy.

I would think that would put an end to all the scam artistry pretty quick, and I'm sure the number of applications the IRS receives would drop like a rock.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

It wasnt a matter of it taking longer. It was a matter of never. When the IRS sent Tea Party groups to the DC office none of them were approved. At least not until the quick policy rugsweep that happened after Congress started asking questions last year and the IG was in full investigation.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
It wasnt a matter of it taking longer. It was a matter of never. When the IRS sent Tea Party groups to the DC office none of them were approved. At least not until the quick policy rugsweep that happened after Congress started asking questions last year and the IG was in full investigation.
As was done with liberal groups.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
As was done with liberal groups.
That doesn't appear to be the case. Having been looked at and then approved isn't quite the same thing as being looked at and sent to DC HQ never to see the light of day again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...roups/2158831/

Essentially you're arguing that since the IRS sometimes did their jobs, they could've never discriminated, even though they basically already admitted to doing so.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So at the end of the day, the IRS did its job. They scrutinized both liberal & conservative groups.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That doesn't appear to be the case. Having been looked at and then approved isn't quite the same thing as being looked at and sent to DC HQ never to see the light of day again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...roups/2158831/

Essentially you're arguing that since the IRS sometimes did their jobs, they could've never discriminated, even though they basically already admitted to doing so.
FAIL. Why not try and use a article not written over a month ago.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
So at the end of the day, the IRS did its job. They scrutinized both liberal & conservative groups.
In a nutshell, yes!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
As I pointed out to you on the other thread, of over 2000 request that IRS reviewed in 2011/12 less then 10 where denied. So your post is inaccurate and wrong. All I have learned about this "scandal" is that Tea Party= Whiners Inc.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
As I pointed out to you on the other thread, of over 2000 request that IRS reviewed in 2011/12 less then 10 where denied. So your post is inaccurate and wrong. All I have learned about this "scandal" is that Tea Party= Whiners Inc.
Read the article I posted. What you're saying isn't even close to true.