The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #76
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Sarcasm?

nah i mean it as a compliment. Your view of discussion allows for a discussion, so thanks!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #77
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Well now that that's over, we'll just wait until the polygamists start their clamoring for equal rights too......not to mention the NAMBLA and beastiality clowns who will soon want equal protection under the law.

.....if a homosexual has the right to **** his buddy in the ass, or munch on her BFF's carpet then how can we as a society argue against a guy or woman who wants to **** a cow or horse? Oh, but wait...that stuff is not natural human behavior you say?

Well, neither is homosexuality, and look where we are today.
The cow would have to consent.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #78
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
My arrogance, what about yours? All I'm doing is pointing out the hypocrisy of the liberal agenda.

When a pastor of a church gets arrested because he refuses to marry a homosexual couple, then this whole idea of "gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone" will go down the tube. The homosexual agenda will force the religious community to recognize gay marriage and when the religious community refuses to do so (even though this hypothetical gay couple can go to the local court house or any other place and have a marriage ceremony) it will be persecuted.
That's just... that has absolutely nothing to do with gay marriage and everything to do with how the laws are enforced. This is a ridiculous scenario anyway. First off, if i'm a part of a gay couple I either have a regular church or I don't. If I have a regular church, i'm 100% sure I would know the stance of the head clergy members on something that is so important to me. ie: I wouldn't be a member of a church that didn't support, basically, me. That seems pretty logical. Now, if I'm not a member of a church, I would simply pick one that does support gay marriage. If I find one that doesn't, so what? Move on to the next one.

Religions aren't anti-homosexuality as a general rule, it all depends on how a given collection of people choose to practice.

There is a good amount of scientific research that indicates that religious fundamentalism is not significantly associated with homosexuality and is actually negatively associated with racism (more religious fundamentalism equals less racism) but this is only when the effects of Right-Wing Authoritarianism are controlled for.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #79
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Well now that that's over, we'll just wait until the polygamists start their clamoring for equal rights too......not to mention the NAMBLA and beastiality clowns who will soon want equal protection under the law.

.....if a homosexual has the right to **** his buddy in the ass, or munch on her BFF's carpet then how can we as a society argue against a guy or woman who wants to **** a cow or horse? Oh, but wait...that stuff is not natural human behavior you say?

Human rights aren't granted to horses and cows. That takes care of that. As far as NAMBLA, that's a little trickier of an issue. However, I think a case can be made that a minor can't be married...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I wonder if cows or horses or children have the ability to consent to sex or marriage under the law.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #81
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Human rights aren't granted to horses and cows. That takes care of that. As far as NAMBLA, that's a little trickier of an issue. However, I think a case can be made that a minor can't be married...
I don't see why not. After all, human rights are now granted to corporations, and all they are is a box of paper.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #82
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
That's just... that has absolutely nothing to do with gay marriage and everything to do with how the laws are enforced. This is a ridiculous scenario anyway. First off, if i'm a part of a gay couple I either have a regular church or I don't. If I have a regular church, i'm 100% sure I would know the stance of the head clergy members on something that is so important to me. ie: I wouldn't be a member of a church that didn't support, basically, me. That seems pretty logical. Now, if I'm not a member of a church, I would simply pick one that does support gay marriage. If I find one that doesn't, so what? Move on to the next one.

Religions aren't anti-homosexuality as a general rule, it all depends on how a given collection of people choose to practice.

There is a good amount of scientific research that indicates that religious fundamentalism is not significantly associated with homosexuality and is actually negatively associated with racism (more religious fundamentalism equals less racism) but this is only when the effects of Right-Wing Authoritarianism are controlled for.
The easier answer is that these decisions don't deal with religious marriage. People who get married in a church MUST still get a state recognized certificate. The government cannot have any say in what a pastor can or will do, because the government essentially doesn't "recognize" religious marriage in the first place. You still need to jump through the state sanctioned hoops regardless of whether you were married in a church or synagogue.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #83
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I wonder if cows or horses or children have the ability to consent to sex or marriage under the law.
What about same-sex adult siblings? Parent & adult same sex son/daughter? Should those unions be prohibited?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #84
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm completely baffled how any "conservative" could object to homosexuals wanting to do the conservative thing and settle down and have families just like heterosexuals. I'm also baffled how anyone thinks this "harms" anyone. People like Tombstone acting like he's somehow a victim here. Ridiculous.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #85
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
What about same-sex adult siblings? Parent & adult same sex son/daughter? Should those unions be prohibited?
That's kind of the point here. Lawmakers should have to prove why people SHOULDN'T have equal rights under the law. Feel free to post your reasons why you think those groups shouldn't be able to marry. Fact remains there is no logical argument to deny gays that right. The decisions today are yet another step in reinforcing that.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #86
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm completely baffled how any "conservative" could object to homosexuals wanting to do the conservative thing and settle down and have families just like heterosexuals. I'm also baffled how anyone thinks this "harms" anyone. People like Tombstone acting like he's somehow a victim here. Ridiculous.
Gay couples will move into our neighborhoods and make their houses look much nicer than ours leading our wives to say, "Honey? Why can't we have Asian landscaping in our front yard?"
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #87
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

(Had to Google what DOMA stands for)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #88
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:

jesus, dude. you are attempting to stretch the comparison way too far and I hope this is something you picked up on a second rate, local conservative radio show and not out of your own mind.

First, you are straying from the topic which is marriage equality and not purely sexual activity. Second, you are basing the word "natural" on the idea that sexual activity (as well as love and commitment) is supposed to be performed solely for the purpose of procreation. We get it, the parts don't match. But that has nothing to do with two people falling in love and wanting to spend their lives together. By your strange logic, can we say that those opposite-sex couples who don't want to have kids can't marry? And don't talk about ****ing animals, dude. We are talking about intra-species union, the type of which you probably have not genuinely witnessed first hand or you would not be comparing it to bestiality.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #89
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This case is not about marriage equality.
Gay Americans can get married right now, today....anywhere
What's this is about is Government Recognized Marriage relative to tax benefits or in a broader sense Laws.

It's the correct ruling up and down IMO.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #90
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Yes ........

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #91
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Conservatives need to get back to good principles. Believing that people, not government, make America go. There's a lot of Black and Hispanic groups that have very conservative values but the left has done such a good job of painting Republicans as racists that they turn to the only thing left.

Many Black communities hate the welfare state - the way it encourages Husbandless - even "partner-less" welfare mothers who have more children to get bigger checks. Hispanic communities favor family values and hard work. They really aren't looking for a handout. My gay friend is fiscally very conservative and only votes Democrat because of he and his partner's personal issues.

If Republicans would get onto the fiscal responsibility angle, worked on keeping government off our phone calls and fighting for family values - that's families with parents, preferably two or more, raising children in good homes - they could get a lot of votes and retake power.

I think a majority of Americans don't want a large police state that tries to do everything.
Conservatives should really steal the marijuana issue. if they want less government control, and want to re-energize the young base (or steal democrats), get behind legalizing marijuana. Its there for the taking.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #92
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Freedom of religion is protected by the constitution. On one hand you want to criticize me and say gay marriage doesn't harm anyone (except of course people who have a religious conviction on the issue, but they don't matter, right?). Then on the other hand when I say recognizing traditional marriage does not harm homosexual's you all of sudden ignore the religious communities rights and start screaming about how much this hurts gays and lesbians.

Again, you can't have it both ways. Ooops, I'm talking to a liberal, so you CAN have it both ways, just as long as its YOUR WAY.
Christ, you're ****ing stupid. So overwhelmingly stupid.

Freedom OF religion... and freedom FROM religion...

What someone else does in the privacy of their own home has precisely ****-all to do with what someone else's religion says. But making a law to restrict someone's ****ing relationship based on YOUR hang ups is just fine and dandy in your eyes because A) you're a ****ing moron and B) there is no B.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #93
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Conservatives should really steal the marijuana issue. if they want less government control, and want to re-energize the young base (or steal democrats), get behind legalizing marijuana. Its there for the taking.
They'd still get hamstrung on climate change and health care. They're dinosaurs. At some point, even the duped will begin to realize they are sick and tired of Dinosaur World.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #94
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
They'd still get hamstrung on climate change and health care. They're dinosaurs. At some point, even the duped will begin to realize they are sick and tired of Dinosaur World.
And immigration, and voting rights, and abortion, and evolution...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #95
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Rights in this country are not based on a democracy anyways, I dont understand why people think this
Jefferson said a democracy is mob rule where 51% of the population takes away the rights of the other 49%

Civil rights issues should never be put up to a vote
I don't hear people complain about interracial marriages even though it took supreme court intervention in the Loving vs Virgina case to deem interracial marriage bans unconstitutional
That was also a reversal of what the majority of people had voted

Its not like this in any way affects straight couples though
Good day for equality
Bad day for people who still think this its 1964
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #96
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah but youre forgetting some young people are dumb and vote on singular issues.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #97
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Conservatives need to get back to good principles. Believing that people, not government, make America go. There's a lot of Black and Hispanic groups that have very conservative values but the left has done such a good job of painting Republicans as racists that they turn to the only thing left.

Many Black communities hate the welfare state - the way it encourages Husbandless - even "partner-less" welfare mothers who have more children to get bigger checks. Hispanic communities favor family values and hard work. They really aren't looking for a handout. My gay friend is fiscally very conservative and only votes Democrat because of he and his partner's personal issues.

If Republicans would get onto the fiscal responsibility angle, worked on keeping government off our phone calls and fighting for family values - that's families with parents, preferably two or more, raising children in good homes - they could get a lot of votes and retake power.

I think a majority of Americans don't want a large police state that tries to do everything.
I think that this would be a great strategy for them, but not only because minority groups are hard working and fiscally responsible, but because most of America is. The two parties get painted in contrasting colors but the people who vote for them have much more overlap than difference. Anyone who thinks that most conservatives are racist, just as anyone who thinks that most progressives/liberals are free loaders looking for a handout and not believing in fiscal responsibility, is simply not in touch with reality. I know a lot of blue collar type of guys that vote republican because one of the signature conservative message of, "I work hard, and i don't want my money wasted." Does anyone think that your average middle class progressive/liberal family doesn't also hold these views? Granted, that's a very oversimplified snapshot but it's an example.

My point is this, and this is a much traveled road I know, but as long as we have a two party system we are always going to be pitted against each other under the illusion of insurmountable differences like gay marriage and gun control laws with either nothing getting done do to an endless congressional tug of war stale mate, or one party with a super majority forcing laws down everyone's throats without a holistic input.

We need to work together, we need to have conversations like this together and not treat politics like static religious beliefs.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #98
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Marriage isn't but everyone getting treated equal is.
Now take that on to the next logical step. I knew of a couple of old timers at one time who were brothers. Both were widowed and living together. The first brother passing away created numerous hardships for the surviving, as many of the avenues for transference of property and benefits were not available. At the time it was because they were both males and brothers. But today, that protection would still be denied, if only because they were brothers.

Is this equal protection?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #99
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

i'm reading the decision now. court did not 'strike down' DOMA as the moronic media is claiming. it struck down section 3. seems to me it actually strengthened section 2 by protecting 1man/1woman states.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #100
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
i'm reading the decision now. court did not 'strike down' DOMA as the moronic media is claiming. it struck down section 3. seems to me it actually strengthened section 2 by protecting 1man/1woman states.
Yeah, it basically said that the federal government had to respect States' definition of marriage, whatever they determined that definition to be.

So far, it doesn't compel one state to honor another state's definition. But that battle will be on its way next I'm sure.