The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The basis of our federalism is that the states can dole out more rights than the Constitution provides for, but they cannot restrict any protected rights. The SCOTUS is saying the California statute is unconstitutionally restrictive. That's what they're supposed to do.
Ok, so with that logic, how come it's ok for CA to have more restringent gun laws?

You can't have it both ways--oh wait, you're a liberal, so you CAN have it both ways, as long as it suites your agenda, right?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Stop acting like your rights are infringed upon. We live in a ****ing society, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. And stop making it seem like the conservative side is some bastion of FREEDOMS. See: abortion rights. Seems like you want big government when it pleases you too. And both sides don't seem to mind it when it comes to national security.
, ok so make a sacrifice and acknowledge traditional marriage. Why can't you do this?

Oh the irony of the liberals, it's vast and unquenchable.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Ok, so with that logic, how come it's ok for CA to have more restringent gun laws?

You can't have it both ways--oh wait, you're a liberal, so you CAN have it both ways, as long as it suites your agenda, right?
Many of California's gun laws are now making their way to the SCOTUS. We'll see what they say. I doubt they will all stand.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Yes, gay rights and gun laws. very similar.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Obviously it causes some sort of moral harm to them, otherwise they wouldn't give a ****. Get on the right side of history.
I agree with the SC ruling on DOMA, but if they want states rights then they should overrule the lower courts decision on Prop 8. Right?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
, ok so make a sacrifice and acknowledge traditional marriage. Why can't you do this?

Oh the irony of the liberals, it's vast and unquenchable.
Because "traditional marriage" is a ****ing absurd notion based on religion. Allowing gays to marry hurts NO ONE except for hypocrites that hold some sort of odd moralistic standard to their life. Its about equal rights. Should we dial back the civil rights movement too?

Oh the irony of conservatives, its vast and unquenchable.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The basis of our federalism is that the states can dole out more rights than the Constitution provides for, but they cannot restrict any protected rights. The SCOTUS is saying the California statute is unconstitutionally restrictive. That's what they're supposed to do.
And DOMA clearly violates federalism IMO and Kennedy though so as well.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yes, gay rights and gun laws. very similar.
typical liberal answer. Now you'll start calling me stupid and uneducated and a bigot. Amirit?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #34
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Because "traditional marriage" is a ****ing absurd notion based on religion.

It's not, but whatever.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I agree with the SC ruling on DOMA, but if they want states rights then they should overrule the lower courts decision on Prop 8. Right?
Youre talking to someone who 1) doesn't think states rights should be the end all be all and 2) makes his decisions based on common sense and the actual truth and justice of a law. I personally think, in the case of gay marriage, being right should overtake procedure. I'm not a lawyer, don't pretend to be, but regardless of legal process, this is a good day for america.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It's not, but whatever.
It is, but whatever.

Fine, if not religion...then what, hate? Is that a better term?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
You're talking about two different things. One is whether the Federal government can ignore criteria for a marriage in favor of their own. They can't and must respect how each State chooses to define those criteria. That's a win for States rights.

Right to bear arms is technically restrictive of what Congress can or technically can't do (can make no law restricting the right to bear arms) but it doesn't say anything about states rights - and with good reason. The more the Feds bow to the states the better, IMO.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
It is, but whatever.
"Traditional Marriage" is not solely a religious institution.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
typical liberal answer. Now you'll start calling me stupid and uneducated and a bigot. Amirit?
No, but your arrogance, as usual, can be infuriating. And you won the gun argument too. It's not going anywhere. Democrats like guns, republicans love guns. I personally think the second amendment is beyond absurd and antiquated, but I also understand the majority of the people like them regardless of my personal belief.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Because "traditional marriage" is a ****ing absurd notion based on religion. Allowing gays to marry hurts NO ONE except for hypocrites that hold some sort of odd moralistic standard to their life. Its about equal rights. Should we dial back the civil rights movement too?

Freedom of religion is protected by the constitution. On one hand you want to criticize me and say gay marriage doesn't harm anyone (except of course people who have a religious conviction on the issue, but they don't matter, right?). Then on the other hand when I say recognizing traditional marriage does not harm homosexual's you all of sudden ignore the religious communities rights and start screaming about how much this hurts gays and lesbians.

Again, you can't have it both ways. Ooops, I'm talking to a liberal, so you CAN have it both ways, just as long as its YOUR WAY.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You're talking about two different things. One is whether the Federal government can ignore criteria for a marriage in favor of their own. They can't and must respect how each State chooses to define those criteria. That's a win for States rights.

Right to bear arms is technically restrictive of what Congress can or technically can't do (can make no law restricting the right to bear arms) but it doesn't say anything about states rights - and with good reason. The more the Feds bow to the states the better, IMO.
And we've seen that over the past year in the gun arena. Especially here in Colorado.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #42
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
"Traditional Marriage" is not solely a religious institution.
Its certainly what the mouthbreathers fall back on when they object to gay marriage!

It hurts no one. We're supposed to be a society of equals. Get over it.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #43
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
No, but your arrogance, as usual, can be infuriating. And you won the gun argument too. It's not going anywhere. Democrats like guns, republicans love guns. I personally think the second amendment is beyond absurd and antiquated, but I also understand the majority of the people like them regardless of my personal belief.
It's not. We need to keep guns to protect ourselves against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #44
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Freedom of religion is protected by the constitution. On one hand you want to criticize me and say gay marriage doesn't harm anyone (except of course people who have a religious conviction on the issue, but they don't matter, right?). Then on the other hand when I say recognizing traditional marriage does not harm homosexual's you all of sudden ignore the religious communities rights and start screaming about how much this hurts gays and lesbians.

Again, you can't have it both ways. Ooops, I'm talking to a liberal, so you CAN have it both ways, just as long as its YOUR WAY.
You are free to pray to any space god you want. You're not free to take your beliefs and oppress other people with them.

If you believe gays cant marry, then youre a ****ing bigot. Plain and simple.

And an arrogant a-hole too.

And conservatives, like all humans, are constantly asking for it both ways. So get off your stupid high horse and go **** yourself.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Its certainly what the mouthbreathers fall back on when they object to gay marriage!

It hurts no one. We're supposed to be a society of equals. Get over it.
Some people fall back on.

Whether it hurts no one is up for debate, but that would depend on your definition of "hurt".

We are not a society of equals, never have been, and never will be. All men are created equal from a nature perspective, but after that,,,from a nurture perspective....not so much.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #46
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
It's not. We need to keep guns to protect ourselves against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
The second amendment was put in place to organize militias, which is an antiquated notion considering we have a gigantic army a million times the size of the rest of the world.

I understand most don't agree, so we can agree to disagree on that, but don't pretend today's society was something the original writers of the constitution could foresee.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #47
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Some people fall back on.

Whether it hurts no one is up for debate, but that would depend on your definition of "hurt".

We are not a society of equals, never have been, and never will be. All men are created equal from a nature perspective, but after that,,,from a nurture perspective....not so much.
And this is why we'll fundamentally disagree on just about everything. Actually, pending on how you want to define "equal," we aren't all of equal intelligence, strength, etc. But as far as basic rights are concerned, which I include something as stupid as marriage, we should all be able to marry anyone we want.

There is no argument that this harms society in any way.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #48
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCal and I are super excited about this.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #49
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
The second amendment was put in place to organize militias, which is an antiquated notion considering we have a gigantic army a million times the size of the rest of the world.

I understand most don't agree, so we can agree to disagree on that, but don't pretend today's society was something the original writers of the constitution could foresee.
IMO you are not considering all the potential outcomes nor are you learning from history with your opinion. A Militia is not a professional army. A militia is made up by non-professional citizens. Aka the civilian population. If called up it's BYOG.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #50
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
My arrogance, what about yours? All I'm doing is pointing out the hypocrisy of the liberal agenda.

When a pastor of a church gets arrested because he refuses to marry a homosexual couple, then this whole idea of "gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone" will go down the tube. The homosexual agenda will force the religious community to recognize gay marriage and when the religious community refuses to do so (even though this hypothetical gay couple can go to the local court house or any other place and have a marriage ceremony) it will be persecuted.