The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Default Supreme Court Rules on DOMA and Prop 8

Huge victories here.

I'm trying to read the dissent and see if there was anything about "but gays will still never be normal" in there.

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Huge victories here.

I'm trying to read the dissent and see if there was anything about "but gays will still never be normal" in there.

Yes some day same-sex buttsex will be as normal as holding hands in the park and we will all look back and laugh at how stupid we were.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Yes some day same-sex buttsex will be as normal as holding hands in the park and we will all look back and laugh at how stupid we were.
Hey, I'm all for seeing some girl-on-girl action in the park. If you don't approve, head back into your church and see if you can pray it away!
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Some of you will. Those of us who never had a problem with other people's personal choices were never that stupid to begin with.

Thank the creator you conservatives are so consistent on that individual liberties thing.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Scalia went full-troll in his rambling dissent. The guy who invalidated the legislatively passed (and constantly renewed) VRA yesterday now wants to b**** about judicial overstep. **** that guy.

Good day for the US, though. No matter how underwhelming the Democratic presidents in recent years or to come, the Supreme Court appointments are reasons 1, 2 and 3 to keep doing so until a better option presents itself.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Scalia went full-troll in his rambling dissent. The guy who invalidated the legislatively passed (and constantly renewed) VRA yesterday now wants to b**** about judicial overstep. **** that guy.

Good day for the US, though. No matter how underwhelming the Democratic presidents in recent years or to come, the Supreme Court appointments are reasons 1, 2 and 3 to keep doing so until a better option presents itself.
Scalia is one of the worst justices in the history of the court.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Some of you will. Those of us who never had a problem with other people's personal choices were never that stupid to begin with.

Thank the creator you conservatives are so consistent on that individual liberties thing.
Hey, no argument here..... I'm sure when the founding fathers discussed protecting individual liberties the same-sex buttsex topic was a hot issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Scalia an amazing judge and a very intelligent man. Other attorney's look up to him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Huge victories here.

Attachment 32492

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Hey, no argument here..... I'm sure when the founding fathers discussed protecting individual liberties the same-sex buttsex topic was a hot issue.
No, but slavery was, and they missed the mark on that one, didn't they?

Or are you arguing that we should bring back slavery?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Scalia an amazing judge and a very intelligent man. Other attorney's look up to him.
Arguably the most influential on the current court; even if I wholly disagree with his originalist theory, he almost single handedly engrained it as mainstream.

But on some issues, particularly gay rights, he just embarrasses himself with his rhetoric. You read about his career and he hasn't necessarily become more conservative, but in the last decade he's started talking like a guy who listens to a lot of right wing radio.

His dissent on Lawrence v. Texas (the case ending sodomy bans) and now this one are not the work of a man concerned with professionalism or who deserves much respect.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...exuality-court

http://www.businessinsider.com/anton...sarcasm-2013-6
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
He's a rigid ideologue who's capacity to reason facts is severely limited by his biases. If you agree with his biases, then I can see where you're coming from.

Here's one of my favorite Scalia quotes:
“Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached”
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Arguably the most influential on the current court; even if I wholly disagree with his originalist theory, he almost single handedly engrained it as mainstream.
If Scalia consistently applied his "orignalist" theory, I could respect, if disagree, with him. But he doesn't. His vote on Citizens United is just one egregious example (there's no evidence that the "original" intent of the Founders was for corporations to be given the rights of individuals under the Constitution).
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
If Scalia consistently applied his "orignalist" theory, I could respect, if disagree, with him. But he doesn't. His vote on Citizens United is just one egregious example (there's no evidence that the "original" intent of the Founders was for corporations to be given the rights of individuals under the Constitution).
While there definitely is evidence to the contrary.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
No, but slavery was, and they missed the mark on that one, didn't they?

Or are you arguing that we should bring back slavery?
Yes I think we should bring back slavery in about 20 years when whites become the minority and also give back any land they own to the Native Americans.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
BroncoBeavis

The Prop 8 decision was the real trainwreck here. The implications of that won't be properly understood for years.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Once again though the supposed right wingers give enough support to the left to do the right thing. When court sides with the left its a huge victory. When they don't win they cry activist court!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I just read Scalia's dissent, I mean tantrum. What a clown.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I just read Scalia's dissent, I mean tantrum. What a clown.
Did you see the part where he was giving enough support to the left to do the right thing?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I love how the left focuses on the dissent instead of the real story that this court comes left when they feel its in the law. Ask yourself how often the liberals come to the right then tell me who is biased and partisan.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's a conservative win IMO. More families, more comittment, and the weddings and divorces create good jobs. To me its a no brainer of course let all people marry. They should even let men have more then one wife. I mean why stop 2 women from marrying who they want. Just let people be socially liberal if they want I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
I love how the left focuses on the dissent instead of the real story that this court comes left when they feel its in the law. Ask yourself how often the liberals come to the right then tell me who is biased and partisan.
Uh, no. There has been zero yield to the left on any notable case from Scalia, Alito or Thomas. You can only be referring to Kennedy on the DOMA decision and Roberts on upholding Obamacare, which:

1) Kennedy has always been strongly pro-gay rights. He authored the opinion in Lawrence v. Texas, too. This isn't him deciding to look past his general conservatism to go to the left because the law compels him to. Everyone who follows the Court saw this 5-4 split coming b/c it has long been part of Kennedy's legal philosophy re: discrimination.

2) Roberts' swing vote on the ACA was, legitimately, stunning. Because, by all accounts, he was ready to rule against it, then realized how that would look / impact the view of his Court. He found a way to stretch a taxation interpretation that, legally, was pretty weak, but allowed him to save face while also striking down the commerce clause.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Pat Robertson is probably having a heart attack..Fat boy limbaugh is freaking out too.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

exactly repub president nominate just enough to come left when it matters most. The left however puts up activist judges without the chops of the judges like Roberts, Kennedy and Scalia.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
exactly repub president nominate just enough to come left when it matters most. The left however puts up activist judges without the chops of the judges like Roberts, Kennedy and Scalia.

You're dumb.