The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #51
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
So how do you guys deal with fulfilling the garbage reality shows like real housewives, bachelor, etc? Also, anyone on here do this with kids programming? I am concerned the spouse/little ones won't know how to navigate several media options (they currently can get onto DVR and play their programs). These are the main issues for me holding onto cable. I have been wanting to do it for a while but am getting resistance from the family.
We torrent the kids programs. There's quite a bit if you look. My wife had to bite the bullet on Bravo. I think you could find those shows, but I didn't care to look and our home is a better place without that crap in it.

That said, I'm switching to Direct TV tomorrow. The new DVR packages and getting an account from the Wal Mart guys means I can actually save money canceling my Hulu Plus Dish Network minimalist account riding out the contract. I can still run my OTA signal through the Genie system they have. And the $75 gift card to Wal Mart since it's under their corporate package helps too. My monthly bill will be $50 a month for two TV's after the promotional period. I'll come out $175 ahead at the end of the two year contract (that's including after the price goes up in 12 months), get new equipment and still be able to run my OTA signal through their DVR on a pretty bare bones package. I'll be getting HD on both my HD tv's too, where before I was only getting it on one.

So shop and shop from people who are trying to sell you their TV packages. That's my advice. The cable and satellite companies are feeling the squeeze for sure. Well Sat companies are anyway. Dish tried, but couldn't match Direct's deal (though they may have been able to had I gone to a third party guy for Dish, not the tech I was canceling with.) For the same thing I got from Direct TV, Comcast wanted to charger me $85 a month. I already have their internet which they said they'd offer me $5 off but I'd get more if I paid for a land line or relic from last century.

So comcast still sucks. But if you have to get TV from a provider, I recommend rotating your companies every two years - You get brand new equipment. Direct and Dish both have technology that allows you to run your over the air feed into their DVR's and it doesn't interrupt their Satellite signal. You can save on their DVR with the other programming. If their box records 4 signals at the same time, you will be able to record two over the air signals. This is nice if you're watching live programming you don't care to save on network TV but have a lot of other prime time programming during the week. And the newer Satellite boxes are streaming to tablets and smartphones. - So more value added there.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #52
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We torrent the kids programs. There's quite a bit if you look. My wife had to bite the bullet on Bravo. I think you could find those shows, but I didn't care to look and our home is a better place without that crap in it.

That said, I'm switching to Direct TV tomorrow. The new DVR packages and getting an account from the Wal Mart guys means I can actually save money canceling my Hulu Plus Dish Network minimalist account riding out the contract. I can still run my OTA signal through the Genie system they have. And the $75 gift card to Wal Mart since it's under their corporate package helps too. My monthly bill will be $50 a month for two TV's after the promotional period. I'll come out $175 ahead at the end of the two year contract (that's including after the price goes up in 12 months), get new equipment and still be able to run my OTA signal through their DVR on a pretty bare bones package. I'll be getting HD on both my HD tv's too, where before I was only getting it on one.

So shop and shop from people who are trying to sell you their TV packages. That's my advice. The cable and satellite companies are feeling the squeeze for sure. Well Sat companies are anyway. Dish tried, but couldn't match Direct's deal (though they may have been able to had I gone to a third party guy for Dish, not the tech I was canceling with.) For the same thing I got from Direct TV, Comcast wanted to charger me $85 a month. I already have their internet which they said they'd offer me $5 off but I'd get more if I paid for a land line or relic from last century.

So comcast still sucks. But if you have to get TV from a provider, I recommend rotating your companies every two years - You get brand new equipment. Direct and Dish both have technology that allows you to run your over the air feed into their DVR's and it doesn't interrupt their Satellite signal. You can save on their DVR with the other programming. If their box records 4 signals at the same time, you will be able to record two over the air signals. This is nice if you're watching live programming you don't care to save on network TV but have a lot of other prime time programming during the week. And the newer Satellite boxes are streaming to tablets and smartphones. - So more value added there.
Looks like I'm stuck with cable for a while, bummer.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #53
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I've never understood this. Do you sit at the sports bar for 3 hours sipping on one $3.95 beer? If I am at a bar for that long I am looking at least $50.00 tab. Doesn't that ruin the whole savings point?
I don't drink more than a couple beers, and maybe a burger or plate of nachos or wings or something. I'm courteous enough to buy my seat's worth, but I'm not looking to get hammered or anything. Unless things go really, really south.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #54
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
yeah, I'd love to have History Channel, and I used to love the Miltary Channel... other than that, no big deal.
History Channel and Discovery are total crap now. They really don't show anything good. It's all pawn stars, Axe men, ice road truckers, deadliest catch and pickers reruns. I wish there was a channel that had shows about history.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #55
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
History Channel and Discovery are total crap now. They really don't show anything good. It's all pawn stars, Axe men, ice road truckers, deadliest catch and pickers reruns. I wish there was a channel that had shows about history.
That's for sure, they are all garbage now.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #56
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

ive only had internet in my apt for 2yrs and let me tell you its been great. I can stream all the shows i deem watchable whenever i want from projectfree.tv and watch all my sports games online as well. I stll have antenae channels too so all the major sporting events are still on my tv. and the 4 pbs stations are better than all the network garbage.
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Besides the obvious options of a Roku device, Netflix, Amazon, etc. -- is there anything I can hook up to a SmartTV/LED TV (going to get one when I move into my new place July 1st) in order to get some basic news channels or something? Anything cool that I am not aware of?

I sold my PS3 and set aside that cash for a PS4 -- which is what I streamed Netflix and the other stuff off of. Any suggestions?

Not interested in Cable or Direct TV. That stuff is stupid. What else is cool out there for TV's that uses the internet and has a minimal free or is free of charge?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #58
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdissette View Post
ive only had internet in my apt for 2yrs and let me tell you its been great. I can stream all the shows i deem watchable whenever i want from projectfree.tv and watch all my sports games online as well. I stll have antenae channels too so all the major sporting events are still on my tv. and the 4 pbs stations are better than all the network garbage.
Want to go party at a Victor Shores / Tiny Moving Parts show sometime in Fargo? I am pretty sure you know those guys. I will be up there in a week.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #59
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Besides the obvious options of a Roku device, Netflix, Amazon, etc. -- is there anything I can hook up to a SmartTV/LED TV (going to get one when I move into my new place July 1st) in order to get some basic news channels or something?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #60
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
What is a good digital antenna? I assume that is what I would use in conjunction with a newer LED / SmartTV?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Want to go party at a Victor Shores / Tiny Moving Parts show sometime in Fargo? I am pretty sure you know those guys. I will be up there in a week.
my buddy Donny plays bass for victor shores....i work overnights wed thru sat but hit me up if im off i might venture out.

and any LED tv can have a regular antenae hooked up to it to get channels...its only the older tvs that require the special box.

Last edited by kdissette; 06-25-2013 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdissette View Post
my buddy Donny plays bass for victor shores....i work overnights wed thru sat but hit me up if im off i might venture out.

and any LED tv can have a regular antenae hooked up to it to get channels...its only the older tvs that require the special box.
Donny rocks. I met David first though. Been friends with them for a couple of years. I will send you a PM sometime. I am not sure when those guys play their next Fargo show, but I assume it will be soon. Some decent concerts coming up this way, Avette Brothers (spelling) and Sevendust. OK, Sevendust was cool when I was like 14 but I will never forget listening to T.O.A.B. in my cousins crappy car at Thanksgiving when it was released. Just punishing.

Bam bam ababaamamam!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #63
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

lol FYI donny is a huge raiders fan....I give him crap everytime i see him. Also as far as sevendust I havent seen them since the show the lead singers brother got killed right before he went on stage....dude cryed the entire set....it was so sad i left 3 songs in. weird i know.....as far as concerts you shoudl check out The Edith Massey they rock and donnys old roommate dane is in it. Im more of a zappa/jazzfusion fan myself so i dont get excited about much music here in fargo its all emo/punk/metal
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #64
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I love Comcast.

$80/mo for internet, all the channels I need (Including HBO, Redzone, and NFLN). Can't beat it.
How did you manage that?

Comcast is ridiculously overpriced and the monthly bill fluctuation is the most irritating thing about them imo

So far centurylink/directv have been good this year, but I'm sure they'll jack up the $19.99/month Internet soon enough
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #65
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
What is a good digital antenna? I assume that is what I would use in conjunction with a newer LED / SmartTV?
Any antenna. Don't be fooled by "HD Antenna's" that charge more because they are "HD." The signal is HD. The antenna is just a piece of metal that captures it. You'll get 1080i which is better than cable or either satellite network can give you for network channels.

Do you want indoor or outdoor? I had luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #66
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Get the 100 antenna from radio shack worked super for me. I have had it at 2 houses. Picked up HD from 75 miles away. I put it in a windows 7 computer with a tuner and I have a terrabyte of DVR space. No fees.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #67
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Some good advice in this thread.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #68
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I live in a condo in downtown Nashville. No dish for me.
I feel your rage, my 'lives-in-a-downtown-highrise' fellow traveler. We had a darned good thread in here a few months ago, lots of good information.

Here's my experience in a nutshell, starting with the 3 basics you need:
  1. As you've heard in here, you need a good antenna for local and near-local stations. Might need a digital converter box too, if your set's more than 5 or 6 years old.
  2. A high-speed Internet connection, preferably wireless with line of sight to the TV
  3. A digital streaming box like Roku, Slingbox or Apple TV. Game consoles like PS2 and XBox stream too, but they need a computer in the loop to function properly (Roku-like boxes need an Internet signal only).

Your timing is pretty good, they just rolled out the new Roku 3, reviews call it head and shoulders above the rest. Your box is a one-time cost, Roku 3 runs $100, but there's other boxes as low as $40. ** If your TV set is less than 2 or 3 years old, check it first - it might have built-in digital streaming capability.

Programming comes in massive quantities, but it’s often maddeningly awkward to navigate. TV is different when you decide which shows start and when... and the depth of archive content presents rare opportunities. CAUTION! IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, STOP READING NOW. When Catharine saw Netflix had the full Melrose Place catalog, she set forth to watch the entire series. 225 42-minute episodes (no commercials of course). It took six weeks, and forced her to re-think everything she thought she knew about the 90s ...;-/ Past 3 or 4 months we watched The Shield first episode to last. It’s better watching a series this way ... waiting a week between 42-minute episodes seems prehistoric now.

Downside? The programming pillars that make live TV what it is - news and sports - are nowhere to be found. No CNN, ESPN, etc. NBC News and other networks have Roku channels ... you can watch the two most recent Meet the Press episodes any time, and Nightly News the next morning, but it’s not the same.

There's the local over-the-air stations, but we recently decided we need our NFL-Network and MSNBC. Here’s the twist: We need them so much, we decided we’re going back to cable! New company here called ‘Wave Broadband” has the big bundle - Cable + Phone + 15x Internet - all for $85/month. Add the HD tier and a DVR, and the whole thing is $118 with taxes ... less $17 savings on Roku programming and $30 savings on (way too slow, don’t let the door hit you) Clear internet.

They're coming to set us up Friday ... we’ll see.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #69
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I would probably go back to cable too, if it wasn't a monopoly. In Colorado you get Comcast. Take it or leave it. I leave it. I didn't realize we had rescinded the Sherman Anti-trust Act, but in this day and age who knows? Seems we have done away with the 4th amendment, so why not that as well?
http://bgr.com/2013/01/12/cable-indu...awford-289586/
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #70
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Actual History will probably end up on MTV.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #71
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I have Dish Network and if you have an RV they will let you subscribe to the Distant Networks service. You get all the local channels on the east and west coasts along with the local channels from you area. I get a lot of NFL games that are not shown in my area.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #72
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I haven't had any "TV" in my house for 4 years. I get way more done.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #73
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I feel your rage, my 'lives-in-a-downtown-highrise' fellow traveler. We had a darned good thread in here a few months ago, lots of good information.

Here's my experience in a nutshell, starting with the 3 basics you need:
  1. As you've heard in here, you need a good antenna for local and near-local stations. Might need a digital converter box too, if your set's more than 5 or 6 years old.
  2. A high-speed Internet connection, preferably wireless with line of sight to the TV
  3. A digital streaming box like Roku, Slingbox or Apple TV. Game consoles like PS2 and XBox stream too, but they need a computer in the loop to function properly (Roku-like boxes need an Internet signal only).

Your timing is pretty good, they just rolled out the new Roku 3, reviews call it head and shoulders above the rest. Your box is a one-time cost, Roku 3 runs $100, but there's other boxes as low as $40. ** If your TV set is less than 2 or 3 years old, check it first - it might have built-in digital streaming capability.

Programming comes in massive quantities, but it’s often maddeningly awkward to navigate. TV is different when you decide which shows start and when... and the depth of archive content presents rare opportunities. CAUTION! IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, STOP READING NOW. When Catharine saw Netflix had the full Melrose Place catalog, she set forth to watch the entire series. 225 42-minute episodes (no commercials of course). It took six weeks, and forced her to re-think everything she thought she knew about the 90s ...;-/ Past 3 or 4 months we watched The Shield first episode to last. It’s better watching a series this way ... waiting a week between 42-minute episodes seems prehistoric now.

Downside? The programming pillars that make live TV what it is - news and sports - are nowhere to be found. No CNN, ESPN, etc. NBC News and other networks have Roku channels ... you can watch the two most recent Meet the Press episodes any time, and Nightly News the next morning, but it’s not the same.

There's the local over-the-air stations, but we recently decided we need our NFL-Network and MSNBC. Here’s the twist: We need them so much, we decided we’re going back to cable! New company here called ‘Wave Broadband” has the big bundle - Cable + Phone + 15x Internet - all for $85/month. Add the HD tier and a DVR, and the whole thing is $118 with taxes ... less $17 savings on Roku programming and $30 savings on (way too slow, don’t let the door hit you) Clear internet.

They're coming to set us up Friday ... we’ll see.
It's not for everyone, but news channels like Cnn, Msnbc, Fox News, Bloomberg are easily found on the net to stream live.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #74
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I don't live in Colorado right now, but have a pretty interesting (and cheap) setup.

My Slingbox lives in Denver at my dad's house. Can watch all the stuff he gets (including all the Bronco games which was the key) through a PC hooked up to a bigscreen. Not in great location for HD antennae but get the majors OK that way. Netflix at $8/month, decent internet for $40 more per month, no cable no dish.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #75
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
I have two, on my system. Both the National Geographic Channel and the Military History Channel airs shows about historical events...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote