The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #26
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:


ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
And the signal is HD, clear and never have any disruption... I was shocked how good our antenna works
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
bronco_diesel
giddy-up
 
bronco_diesel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: denver
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:


ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.

Are you able to record games with this?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
So after getting repeatedly ass rammed by Comcast I think I'm done. I'm almost physically ill with anger at how that company remains in business. How their actions are not considered criminal is a travesty.

Anyways, now that my borderline psychotic murderous rant is over, has anyone here done cable-less? I have been thinking about it for awhile. I really only watch AMC, HBO, sports and some random shows here and there.

My main question is how do I watch all of these sports I want to see? I had a lot more to ask but I forgot in my blind rage. I will edit later.
Cut the cord so many years ago. You will, gasp... Go out and play more sports rather than sit there watching that **** all day, everyday.

I have Netflix, but will be cancel when my subscription ends in a few months. Amazon instant video is free with prime. Redbox for movies. -Always free codes and discounts on renting movies.

Why not cancel and try it for a few months?, and then go back if you want.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:



ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna
I have one of these, and another which is double of that version.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #30
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
And the signal is HD, clear and never have any disruption... I was shocked how good our antenna works
OTA antenna produces the best HD out there(not counting blu ray).
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #31
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
So after getting repeatedly ass rammed by Comcast I think I'm done. I'm almost physically ill with anger at how that company remains in business. How their actions are not considered criminal is a travesty.

Anyways, now that my borderline psychotic murderous rant is over, has anyone here done cable-less? I have been thinking about it for awhile. I really only watch AMC, HBO, sports and some random shows here and there.

My main question is how do I watch all of these sports I want to see? I had a lot more to ask but I forgot in my blind rage. I will edit later.
I did it last year. I use hulu and netflix and that covers pretty much everything. Sports though are a problem, but for me I only watched the Broncos so I took to listening to them on the radio and I kind of really fell in love with that method.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,325

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Haven't had cable since Hurricane Katrina. Will never get cable again. Ever.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #33
BroncsCheer
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:


ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
This is functionally my same setup. I stopped cable in the mid-nineties and haven't suffered a bit. Sure, I don't have the premium networks, and I don't have the choices on the tube that a lot of folks have, but I don't care.

The last things I need are:
1. A $100/month bill for diminishing value programming
2. Another reason for me or my family to park our asses in front of the TV

I visit friends and relatives who have cable and it seems like they just scroll through channels looking for something to watch instead of doing something productive. It's funny, if you actually look for it.

I approach watching programmed viewing like I do shopping: find something specific I want to watch, make note of the time, watch that, and turn the TV off after it's over. I confess my family logs a lot of XBOX/Wii time, and we do watch a good number of DVD/BluRay movies, but those activities are chosen by us, not foisted upon us by some programming d-bag - no commercials either.

Finally, for those who have some web-fu, there are an increasing number of choices for streaming (both for fee and not) for a great number of the programming viewers want to watch. THIS IS THE FUTURE - at some point, our TV's will complete their transition to simply display monitors - driven by content stored locally, on the cloud, or streamed. There will be companies like Comcast and Cable One who provide "programming" over the internets just like cable now, but it will be webbed, not broadcast.

I occasionally consider jumping back in, but in the end reason wins out and I go mountain biking, or hiking, or fishing, or (most typically) I read a book.

Don't miss it at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
edog24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 806
Default

So how do you guys deal with fulfilling the garbage reality shows like real housewives, bachelor, etc? Also, anyone on here do this with kids programming? I am concerned the spouse/little ones won't know how to navigate several media options (they currently can get onto DVR and play their programs). These are the main issues for me holding onto cable. I have been wanting to do it for a while but am getting resistance from the family.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
We did the same thing at our place, orangeatheist. We have a DSL line for Netflix & Hulu, an Ooma device for VOIP landline phone service, and an indoor HDTV antenna.

We only had the most basic level of cable channels (not even including ESPN), plus Internet & phone. Even so we cut our monthly bill in half, from $130 to about $65. The Ooma unit cost about $150 up front, but it's paid for itself a couple times over (since last September).

I don't watch much for sports other than football, so I'm not missing anything most of the year. I can always visit the local sports bar if there's a game I want to see that's not on broadcast.
How do you like the Ooma so far? Did you get their phones also or use your own?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

It's the new, monopoly-based, fee and rents economy. Banks and energy companies are doing the same thing. Get used to it, serf.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
It's the new, monopoly-based, fee and rents economy. Banks and energy companies are doing the same thing. Get used to it, serf.
expand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #38
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,837

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I cut the cord. We use Netflix and XBMC. I am, however, considering going back to DirecTV for NFL Direct Ticket. But maybe not. Now that Manning is our QB, we get almost every game locally, and the few that we don't get, it wouldn't be anything for me to pop over to a local bar to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
I don't watch much for sports other than football, so I'm not missing anything most of the year. I can always visit the local sports bar if there's a game I want to see that's not on broadcast.
I've never understood this. Do you sit at the sports bar for 3 hours sipping on one $3.95 beer? If I am at a bar for that long I am looking at least $50.00 tab. Doesn't that ruin the whole savings point?
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #39
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I've never understood this. Do you sit at the sports bar for 3 hours sipping on one $3.95 beer? If I am at a bar for that long I am looking at least $50.00 tab. Doesn't that ruin the whole savings point?
Depends, Broncos games on on TV here, so no need to leave the house. I go watch Bills games, until they are eliminated which is typically around Halloween...

so a $50 bar tab for 16 weeks is $800. 12 months of cable is $1800. plus you get out and enjoy the atmosphere of other NFL fans watching and enjoying.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #40
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
So how do you guys deal with fulfilling the garbage reality shows like real housewives, bachelor, etc? Also, anyone on here do this with kids programming? I am concerned the spouse/little ones won't know how to navigate several media options (they currently can get onto DVR and play their programs). These are the main issues for me holding onto cable. I have been wanting to do it for a while but am getting resistance from the family.
Watch via internet? Amazon Prime/Netflix have tons of kid shows. Whip out a tablet/smartphone and watch? They will learn. And I don't watch the trash shows you mentioned.

Also, wear the pants in the family and do it. They will live.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #41
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Depends, Broncos games on on TV here, so no need to leave the house. I go watch Bills games, until they are eliminated which is typically around Halloween...

so a $50 bar tab for 16 weeks is $800. 12 months of cable is $1800. plus you get out and enjoy the atmosphere of other NFL fans watching and enjoying.
Yep, they are national tv all the time. Plus if you live on the east coast they can take the late slot games. Otherwise, websites out there broadcast(not the best) and if I feel like going to a bar, I go.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #42
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
I've never understood this. Do you sit at the sports bar for 3 hours sipping on one $3.95 beer? If I am at a bar for that long I am looking at least $50.00 tab. Doesn't that ruin the whole savings point?
Don't drink a lot? And I hardly ever run a $50 tab at sports bar for myself. Plus, side bonus it's a going "out" thing if you want to.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #43
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Yep, they are national tv all the time. Plus if you live on the east coast they can take the late slot games. Otherwise, websites out there broadcast(not the best) and if I feel like going to a bar, I go.
right- when I lived in Buffalo I used to get Denver games 4PM every week almost.

Now for the Bills, they never even sniff a MNF or SNF spot- heck, I haven't seen them on TV for a game on a broadcast network for 6 years....

But cable/dish, what a waste. I would go back to cable/ dish if it is was like I-tunes where I could buy content piecemeal that I wish to see... but to habe a hundred channels I woud never watch a prepay in package, no thanks... and they have the tech to do it, but like cell plans I guess they need to lock you in make money

Did you know if takes 9 months of a cell contract before the comapny nets a penny?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #44
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
right- when I lived in Buffalo I used to get Denver games 4PM every week almost.

Now for the Bills, they never even sniff a MNF or SNF spot- heck, I haven't seen them on TV for a game on a broadcast network for 6 years....

But cable/dish, what a waste. I would go back to cable/ dish if it is was like I-tunes where I could buy content piecemeal that I wish to see... but to habe a hundred channels I woud never watch a prepay in package, no thanks... and they have the tech to do it, but like cell plans I guess they need to lock you in make money

Did you know if takes 9 months of a cell contract before the comapny nets a penny?
Yep, my local team is in the AFC EAst as well. So Broncos are almost always on. Plus with an OTA antenna I can pull another city nearby and they broadcast games that my market doesn't at times.

If a la carte was offered, I'd buy literally a couple channels. But, those ****s won't do it so no biggie. I do not miss it.

I'm off contract right now and can switch anytime I want. You can always buy a smartphone for regular price, which I do. But, yah that's why the phone providers want the 2 year contracts.

Last edited by maven; 06-25-2013 at 08:39 AM..
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #45
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Yep, my local team is in the AFC EAst as well. So Broncos are almost always on. Plus with an OTA antenna I can pull another city nearby and they broadcast games that my market doesn't at times.

If a la carte was offered, I'd buy literally a couple channels. But, those ****s won't do it so no biggie. I do not miss it.
PLease tell me you don't have suffer around Jets fans... please....

yeah, I'd love to have History Channel, and I used to love the Miltary Channel... other than that, no big deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #46
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
PLease tell me you don't have suffer around Jets fans... please....

yeah, I'd love to have History Channel, and I used to love the Miltary Channel... other than that, no big deal.
Nah, sofla. Talk about a turd of a team. Yah a couple channels literally I would might consider to buy. Like you said, no big deal.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #47
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,517

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

We have AT&T Uverse, and we love it. It looks like it's available in Nashville, but you may want to check to see if it's available in your particular corner of the world...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #48
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,837

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Don't drink a lot? And I hardly ever run a $50 tab at sports bar for myself. Plus, side bonus it's a going "out" thing if you want to.
Not a big drinker myself, however, if I was at a sports bar for that long I would end up buying some food, couple of drinks and I am a notoriously big tipper.

I just never saw going to the bar as a big savings mechanism, at least not how I do it.

To each his own, I'm happy with Dish network.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #49
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,220

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

i miss vegging out and being lazy in front of the tv.... but i LOVE having more money in my pockets monthly
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #50
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,244
Default

Cancelled cable about 1998 on new year's day. There were still a lot of football games on nyd then and my cable was out, so I was pissed I couldn't get them and called the cable company. The guy asked me if I could reprogram my television. Huh? I tried to explain that I was a cable customer, not a tv reprogramer, but couldn't get through to him. Ordered DirecTV, and still have it. Every six months my bill goes up, and I call and tell them my budget for tv is $50/month, take it or leave it. So far they have always taken it.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Denver Broncos