The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Default Slingbox, or othe streaming playback options

I haven't paid for any television service in a couple of years plus and don't regret it. I can get almost all entertainment from the internet... the one issue though is sports. I've sacrificed Nuggets and Avs, but I can watch the Broncos over the air since I'm off Sundays. Well next season I may be working Sundays and want to explore ways to have the game on streaming while working, as well as being able to watch a recording when I get back (without biting the bullet and paying for TV service again)

I haven't messed around with slingbox... but was thinking of getting one and installing it on my sis' TV. Anyone have experience with it? How well would it work? Would I be able to watch it from my computer (including stuff recorded off the DVR) without interfering with my sister's viewing? For example, would I be able to watch a game she recorded off her DVR on the slingbox while she watches something else?

Slingbox is pricey but ultimately even the high end models only cost what two to three months of television service would cost. Any other suggestions?
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Skaffer.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Skaffer.
Better that than a corporate stooge who bends over and pays for 100 things he doesn't want so he can the one thing he wants.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

When you use the slingbox your sisters TV will turn to whatever channel you are watching.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Any slingbox or equivalent has to have control of the source device ( cable box, sat receiver) and anyone at the source has to watch the same thing. Or if they change the channel then then you also get the change at the remote device. If she has TWO cable boxes then you can connect to the one ( say in the bedroom) that she normally doesn't use , but the local user can still override you. The thing is streaming devices require a SOURCE device to connect to and control, as they have no tuner built in.

You will need the streaming device and a standalone ATSC tuner or other device it can control.

Also a good high speed internet connection is required to send the stream out ( 2-3 MBps for DVD quality out) and also a good download connection where you receive to get a decent picture. Sling and others will downrez the feed automatically to the available bandwidth. So you need a decent internet connection and either cat 5/6 or high speed wireless router.

Although the new sling 500 has HDMI in and out and can do true HD , copy protection can block the ability to record or stream that feed , so in most cases you have to connect via component cables ( and L/R audio ) anyway.
To stream true HD you need about 10Mbps upload speed. The sling 500 has wireless built in , the sling 350 does not and also has no hdmi connection.

A good alternative is the Belkin @tv Premiere device ( can currently buy at belkins home site for $99.) which has component and composite in and also wireless access. It is not as smooth to install as the slingbox but provides a decent stream ( DVD quality 720x480 is its max) which is more than adequate for phones or tablets. Also the apps for tablets and PCs are free with Belkin and allow you to record the stream on the receiving device, which Slingbox does not. For Pcs sling now uses a web browser to view the stream, instead of a dedicated app, unlike belkin. Phone apps are a charge on either, but sling has more phones available. Sling can stream to most media streamers like roku, etc. while belkin can't.

If you have windows 7 home premium on your PC you could buy an ATSC tuner card or USB tuner for your home PC and record the bronco games on it. If your video card can output in component ( or composite) video you could feed that to the streaming device, but you could not control it remotely.
Another alternative would be to simply use a Win7 home premium laptop and take the USB tuner with you ( you will need a good portable antenna also to get the signal). Win 8 also can work but media center is an option in win 8.
This would be the cheapest alternative if you have the laptop as the tuners only cost about 50-70 $.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

I understand being frugal and all that but several threads on here have people owning multiple devices and jumping through flaming hoops to try to get sports.

Convenience and simpilicity is worth a lot to me.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
I understand being frugal and all that but several threads on here have people owning multiple devices and jumping through flaming hoops to try to get sports.

Convenience and simpilicity is worth a lot to me.
Well I for one am not going to criticize you because you pay for television. If you watch television, by all means, pay for television. To each his own I say, but of course that applies to my own preferences as well. I just can't justify paying for Home and Garden, MTV, and a whole lot of other **** I don't watch just because I want to watch sports. If a television service provider ever offered a service where you can purchase individual stations because those are the ones you actually watch, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. That's the future with Internet TV and hopefully sports eventually goes that route (none this local game blocking malarkey if you purchase sports packages).

Thanks for the tips ScottXray!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Majority of the country does not have the internet option.......if they do the speed is slow and unable to handle HD.

Then a majority of carriers have data caps...........there goes your savings.

Until the internet infrastructure is upgraded this an option for a few.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Went to a friends house today and was watching him try to pull up some realestate listings and he was using the map view which is satellite and apparently he doesn't have high speed internet. Talk about yawn. I'm watching the little circle on the screen that's like the hour glass thing just sit there and the screen is doing nothing. We were just waiting and waiting. Then he was able to move the the mouse to scroll the satellite view for a second and then waiting and waiting. Oh lord I could not live with that. I'd rather eat ramen noodles every day and have high speed internet then eat normal and go with DSL.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I have a Slingbox and use it regularly. You would control the box that it is hooked up to at Sis's house but maybe she has 2 boxes or you could pay just the additional box cost? Or maybe she is a big Bronco fan and the game will be on anyways?

Picture quality unlikely to be HD but works for me.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote