The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Wolfe at NFL Rookie Symposium

Quote:
Derek Wolfe was a rookie last year for the Denver Broncos and learned quickly he couldn't trust anybody like he used to.

Wolfe would break up with his girlfriend of five years and fire two financial planners.

He couldn't even rely on a close friend he'd admired since high school.

Wolfe was suspicious of his buddy and left $20 lying on a table to see what would happen. The friend, who Wolfe eventually discovered had a drug problem, pocketed the $20.

"It wasn't that long ago I didn't have a dollar to my name," Wolfe told a room full of first-year players tonight at the start of the 2013 NFL Rookie Symposium. "So don't worry. I'm watching that $20 bill.

"He took it off the table. He didn't say he took it. He had two days to tell me. Never told me. So I had to tell him, 'Hey, man ...' "

Wolfe's story was one of many jolts delivered during a roundtable session that explored common rookie pitfalls and pratfalls.

Wolfe was joined by three other 2012 rookies: St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David and San Diego Chargers tackle Michael Harris. Ross Tucker, a former Buffalo Bills offensive lineman, was the moderator.

"You have to test women, test your friends, test everybody," Wolfe said to a smattering of applause. "I have to find out if they're real or not.

"Most people will say anything to get in your pocket, man. Everybody has a motive. They either want to be your friend, or they want something from you. You want to be around people who want your friendship and want your time.

"Don't waste your time on people who just want money because it gets ugly."

Wolfe dumped two financial planners because "They were rats," he said. Brockers added he fired his first financial planner, too. David claimed he spent $20,000 on tickets, trying to keep people happy when they called to ask for them.
The rest here:
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...eyes-open.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Johnykbr

Interesting...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.
Possible, although I'm sure starting football players at major colleges do pretty damn well in this department already.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Possible, although I'm sure starting football players at major colleges do pretty damn well in this department already.
My roomates in college played Div I college basketball. I couldn't believe some of the tail they brought home.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

"When you're in the kind of business we're in, you just can't trust anybody"

-Walter White AKA "Heisenberg"

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
My roomates in college played Div I college basketball. I couldn't believe some of the tail they brought home.
Did you almost get some sloppy seconds Smurf?

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
A good friend of mine who's name is actually Phil Collins got some sloppy seconds the first night in the dorms when a drunk girl wandered into his room just after he unpacked. He must of thought, "THIS IS GOING TO BE SO EASY." He didn't get laid for at least another 3 years.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

In the dorms, I lived directly across the hall from a CU football player. A good player, borderline star -- went on to a a seven year NFL career (just checked Wiki). Dude had a chiseled physique (i.e. not a fatty lineman) which made him very popular with the ladies. Girls at all hours. Constant parade of different girls going in his room. Girls knocking on our door to ask if we knew when he'd be home. Girls with hot bods dressed to impress, etc. Girls, girls, girls. Always a smile on his face......

The next year, had a different football player as a next door neighbor who went on to play two years in the NFL. That guy lived like almost like a monk, and from what I could see took advantage of his opportunities only a little more than Tebow. Don't think he was gay, he just was a hell of a lot more quiet and wasn't a lady player.

Moral of the story: Epic amounts of tail are available to college sports stars if they want it. But some don't take advantage, for whatever reason.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I got plenty, lol... and it wasn't sloppy seconds... there were 4 of us total, and the three basketball players were usually able to get at least five back to our apartment at Nagel Hall.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

You cannot hide from who you are Methwolfe.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I played 2 seasons of jr college baseball, in a small town and I got more ass than a toilet seat

I can only imagine the amount and quality of women a Div I athlete gets
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
A good friend of mine who's name is actually Phil Collins got some sloppy seconds the first night in the dorms when a drunk girl wandered into his room just after he unpacked. He must of thought, "THIS IS GOING TO BE SO EASY." He didn't get laid for at least another 3 years.
Damn that sucks. Did he just sit in the dorms waiting for another one to fall in his lap or was he just a strikeout king?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Agamemnon

Derek Wolfe sounds like one of the few players that won't be broke when he's done playing. Dude has a good head on his shoulders.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Damn that sucks. Did he just sit in the dorms waiting for another one to fall in his lap or was he just a strikeout king?
We'd be heading a to a party and walk past his room, "Hey Phil, let's go."

"Nah guys, I'm just going to sit right here. And wait."

Actually he was just hopeless with women. Happily married now though, some dudes are just late bloomers.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
yerner
Ring of Famer

whining ******...
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

I don't know.. part of this seems smart and part of it seems a bit heartless. he has a longtime friend who has a drug problem and takes 20 dollars off of a table that belonged to Wolfe and Wolfe just basically tells his friend to get f'd? Not cool that his friend took the money but if he's got a serious problem it's not at all the same thing as him just being a scummy person.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
I don't know.. part of this seems smart and part of it seems a bit heartless. he has a longtime friend who has a drug problem and takes 20 dollars off of a table that belonged to Wolfe and Wolfe just basically tells his friend to get f'd? Not cool that his friend took the money but if he's got a serious problem it's not at all the same thing as him just being a scummy person.
There is no excuse for stealing from a friend. Also he didn't know of the drug problem when he tested him with the 20. He was judging character and his friend had poor character. I would do the same **** if I was in Wolfe's situation. Learn who I can and cant trust
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Interesting...but I can't help but think the exponential growth of potential tail played heavily into him ending a 5 year relationship.
naw, if that was the case you keep the girlfriend and then get some side action.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I really like this kid. He has truly come from nothing and it would be easy to piss it all away. He sounds like he is really appreciating his opportunity and trying to play it smart. It would be awesome if he continues to accelerate his career this year - I really want to root for him.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I really like this kid. He has truly come from nothing and it would be easy to piss it all away. He sounds like he is really appreciating his opportunity and trying to play it smart. It would be awesome if he continues to accelerate his career this year - I really want to root for him.
He doesn't take anything for granted and he has a chip on his shoulder. It's a good recipe.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You cannot hide from who you are Methwolfe.
You know you have become a fan of his!

Double digit sacks this year, watch!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
You know you have become a fan of his!

Double digit sacks this year, watch!
I get excited at the thought of pressure from the interior DL because Williams and Knighton can hold up blocks allowing Wolfe to penetrate. Von coming from the outside, Wolfe from the interior and if Philips can get 8 sacks in.SD he is in line for a double digit sack total this year.

I'll miss Doom the guy, but honestly believe our pass rush will be more powerful this year.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
NorCalBronco7

Elway sure knows how to pick. High characters guys with leadership qualities...great standard to go by.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Glad they didn't ask him to speak at the drug part of the symposium.

Go Methwolfe!

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post

It was probably the last straw in a baleful of issues.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote