The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #626
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Yeah the reviews are off the charts for that game, and the genre seems right up my alley too...

Its one of the few games that is a 10/10. Dialogue between Ellie and Joel while you get a calm moment is pretty awesome.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #627
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Its one of the few games that is a 10/10. Dialogue between Ellie and Joel while you get a calm moment is pretty awesome.

Ya know, Bioshock Infinite got some very similar reviews...I was REALLY stoked to play that game, and it ended up being meh for me. Don't get me wrong, it was very well done, the graphics were great, etc etc, but I just didn't understand the massive hype once I'd played through it.

I'm really leery of doing the same for Last of Us.

Any thoughts on that?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #628
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Ya know, Bioshock Infinite got some very similar reviews...I was REALLY stoked to play that game, and it ended up being meh for me. Don't get me wrong, it was very well done, the graphics were great, etc etc, but I just didn't understand the massive hype once I'd played through it.

Any thoughts on that?
The Last of Us is a very different game from Bioshock Infinite. I think TLoU does a far better job developing the characters and the world has a lot more realistic slant than Bioshock Infinite.

For me I've got to say that I think The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. It sets a new bar in terms of video game story telling and unlike many other story heavy games it doesn't sacrifice gameplay to do it. The game is definitely "survival horror" though. It won't play like Bioshock where you run and gun through it with crazy powers. The gameplay is much more like Resident Evil 4 meets Metal Gear. It makes for some very intense stealth/combat sections in the game, and the development choices you make for skill and gun upgrades are very meaningful. The game does have a pretty significant amount of (intentional) aim sway when you first start out as the developers wanted to highlight that you aren't playing a super soldier with pinpoint aim mid-run.

My complaints with the game are pretty limited, but are as follows: enemies are minor bullet sponges, not as bad as the Uncharted series but they take more shots to the chest/limbs than they should and it gets a bit frustrating in bigger gun fights. I would like larger, more in depth stages to explore as well but then TLoU is literally pushing the PS3 to the edge of it's life so I can't blame them for not having bigger areas to work with.

It's a definite 10/10 for me. It delivers unique, highly suspenseful gameplay, top of the generation graphics, the best sound I've heard in a game to date (amazing with 5.1 surround), and by far and away the most mature story line I've ever played in a game. The story feels like it was cribbed from a Cormack McCarthy/Coen brothers joint that got shelved somewhere along the way.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #629
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Quote:
I'd recommend the last of us. Its a very good game. Atmospheric and creepy but beautiful too. I hate clickers. If you get the game, you'll see what I mean.

****in' clickers!

Great game - it seriously frightens me at times.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #630
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
How are either of those anti-consumer?

iTunes works in an entirely digital domain, in no way trying to redefine ownership of physical media and attempts to overstep first-sale doctrine.

WoW is a single always online game that is advertised as such because that is the only way the concept works. It isn't online for the sake of checking that you are who you say you are, aren't pirating, and making sure all the ads they're going to shove in your face are updated.

I don't think you know the meaning of "invalid" if you think throwing out two starw men without actually framing any kind of rebuttal invalidates anything.

Sorry, what the hell are you talking about? Last I checked we live in a world where Counter-Strike GO, Planetside 2, Team Fortress 2, Arma II/DayZ, and a ton of other 100% multiplayer shooters exist.

Also, I'm pretty sure the little 4-6 hour campaigns they throw into BF and CoD aren't exactly taking away from their multiplayer design in any meaningful way.

Titanfall is by a new studio with some guys who had success with one particular IP. They're now trying a game format that has never worked very well before. I'm skeptical on them getting it right first time out of the gate and I have a feeling it's going to be more like Starhawk/Warhawk were on PS3 last generation with a small dedicated group of fans but unable to reach the mainstream consumer's consciousness.

Destiny is a much more likely bet to join CoD and BF as a new major online shooter.
Straw man? Go to your local gamestop and tell me how many used PC(or mac!) games they have for sale please. DRM Sony games are loaded with ads in the store, too. Last I checked the One isn't out, how do you know exactly everything about it? Or are you just going doomsday scenario on everything you can pull out of your ass.

I get it, you guys are up in arms that you've had devastatingly ****ty exclusives for the better part of a decade, and are excited that you have a pseudo-legitimate "haha see we told you they suck!" excuse now.

And on your point of "joining CoD/BF as major online shooters," Justin Beiber is popular as well...
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #631
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
The Last of Us is a very different game from Bioshock Infinite. I think TLoU does a far better job developing the characters and the world has a lot more realistic slant than Bioshock Infinite.

For me I've got to say that I think The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. It sets a new bar in terms of video game story telling and unlike many other story heavy games it doesn't sacrifice gameplay to do it. The game is definitely "survival horror" though. It won't play like Bioshock where you run and gun through it with crazy powers. The gameplay is much more like Resident Evil 4 meets Metal Gear. It makes for some very intense stealth/combat sections in the game, and the development choices you make for skill and gun upgrades are very meaningful. The game does have a pretty significant amount of (intentional) aim sway when you first start out as the developers wanted to highlight that you aren't playing a super soldier with pinpoint aim mid-run.

My complaints with the game are pretty limited, but are as follows: enemies are minor bullet sponges, not as bad as the Uncharted series but they take more shots to the chest/limbs than they should and it gets a bit frustrating in bigger gun fights. I would like larger, more in depth stages to explore as well but then TLoU is literally pushing the PS3 to the edge of it's life so I can't blame them for not having bigger areas to work with.

It's a definite 10/10 for me. It delivers unique, highly suspenseful gameplay, top of the generation graphics, the best sound I've heard in a game to date (amazing with 5.1 surround), and by far and away the most mature story line I've ever played in a game. The story feels like it was cribbed from a Cormack McCarthy/Coen brothers joint that got shelved somewhere along the way.
Sidebar: It's so good, we want to be able to sell it 2 days after we bought it. Since the gameplay is only a handful of hours.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #632
lolcopter

Doggcow confirmed mad
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #633
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Doggcow confirmed mad
TBH neither of my consoles have been powered on for like 7 months.

Wait PS3 does when I want to watch Netflix.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #634
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post

I get it, you guys are up in arms that you've had devastatingly ****ty exclusives for the better part of a decade, and are excited that you have a pseudo-legitimate "haha see we told you they suck!" excuse now.
Who are "you guys" with their devastatingly ****ty exclusives? As far as consoles go, they've both had pretty stellar exclusive the last two generations. Neither system has had all that many exclusives though. The big ones for Xbox have been Halo and Gears of War and PS have been God of War and Uncharted... there've been other titles as well that haven't had the same longevity, but I don't see your point on this.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #635
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Any thoughts on that?

I can say its been awhile since I have played through a game where I had to stop because of the tension built into the game. Some of the scenarios you and Ellie are in make you wonder how the hell you make it out of it. When they say limited ammo...they mean it. You cannot just blast your way through the game. I didnt do it early on in the game and I died alot, but when its quiet, you need to make weapons (shivs are your friend), nail bombs, molotov cocktails and health packs. You need to upgrade your weapons, and you need to find vitamins to improve personal stats. The ability to hear whats around the corner is important. Helps you strategize how to get around or away from a giant horde of clickers.

Last of Us is a better game then Bioshock Infinite. Thats not even a contest. But alot depends on what kind of gamer you are. For some studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch or Bioware, I will keep the game and replay the hell out of it because those games are worth hanging on to for me.

So I would say if you are leery of buying the Last of Us because of Bioshock Infinite the worry is overblown. You should not regret picking it up, but it depends on the kind of gamer you tend to be.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #636
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Straw man? Go to your local gamestop and tell me how many used PC(or mac!) games they have for sale please. DRM Sony games are loaded with ads in the store, too. Last I checked the One isn't out, how do you know exactly everything about it? Or are you just going doomsday scenario on everything you can pull out of your ass.

And on your point of "joining CoD/BF as major online shooters," Justin Beiber is popular as well...
Relax man. You dont have to pop an artery. The bolded made me lolz. Sony has some awesome exclusives, even if you think they suck.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #637
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Who are "you guys" with their devastatingly ****ty exclusives? As far as consoles go, they've both had pretty stellar exclusive the last two generations. Neither system has had all that many exclusives though. The big ones for Xbox have been Halo and Gears of War and PS have been God of War and Uncharted... there've been other titles as well that haven't had the same longevity, but I don't see your point on this.
You just defended what people supporting Xbox One's plans have been saying.

PS3 games: Good for 4-10 hours.
Xbox 360 games: Good for hundreds of hours.

Maybe not having sold a game back in years is making me think it's irrelevant.

Wait, I sold back Borderlands 2. Game was super duper fun for 9 hours
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #638
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I can say its been awhile since I have played through a game where I had to stop because of the tension built into the game. Some of the scenarios you and Ellie are in make you wonder how the hell you make it out of it. When they say limited ammo...they mean it. You cannot just blast your way through the game. I didnt do it early on in the game and I died alot, but when its quiet, you need to make weapons (shivs are your friend), nail bombs, molotov cocktails and health packs. You need to upgrade your weapons, and you need to find vitamins to improve personal stats. The ability to hear whats around the corner is important. Helps you strategize how to get around or away from a giant horde of clickers.

Last of Us is a better game then Bioshock Infinite. Thats not even a contest. But alot depends on what kind of gamer you are. For some studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch or Bioware, I will keep the game and replay the hell out of it because those games are worth hanging on to for me.

So I would say if you are leery of buying the Last of Us because of Bioshock Infinite the worry is overblown. You should not regret picking it up, but it depends on the kind of gamer you tend to be.

Damn it, this sounds awesome. It's going to piss me off to no end if a legit reason for me to go buy a ps3 comes out of the woodwork just in time for ps4. Although you'd think with how late this is a ps4 port would be in the works at the very least.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #639
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Damn it, this sounds awesome. It's going to piss me off to no end if a legit reason for me to go buy a ps3 comes out of the woodwork just in time for ps4. Although you'd think with how late this is a ps4 port would be in the works at the very least.
Borrow a friend's PS3 for a weekend.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #640
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Naughty Dog is a talented developer I finally got around to playing Uncharted and although I never finished the games, they impressed me. I also finished the original Bioshock and played some Bioshock infinite recently, I like the dystopian atmospheres they push.

Both good IPs, with great developers behind them.

As for which system I am personally getting, that's going to be the Xbox One, specifically for the Kinect, I suspect a lot of people I know will be doing the same. From a business strategy standpoint, its going to be the Kinect and $$ price point difference that will sway consumers at launch.

Last edited by Willynowei; 06-24-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #641
lolcopter

BECAUSE of kinect? Odds of you having children are high I'm guessing
Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #642
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Naughty Dog is a talented developer I finally got around to playing Uncharted and although I never finished the games, they impressed me. I also finished the original Bioshock and played some Bioshock infinite recently, I like the dystopian atmospheres they push.

Both good IPs, with great developers behind them.

As for which system I am personally getting, that's going to be the Xbox One, specifically for the Kinect, I suspect a lot of people I know will be doing the same. From a business strategy standpoint, its going to be the Kinect and $$ price point difference that will make the biggest difference at launch.
Meh.... I think Uncharted 2 was the best. I definitely enjoyed more the new Tomb Raider. Bioshock 1 and Infinite were awesome. Infinite has probably one of the best story lines in a long long time. Just started playing the Last of Us. Awesome game so far!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #643
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Most people bash connect because it was such a low market share with the hardware.

With game developers having 100% hardware adoption, I'm sure there will be a lot of new and entertaining games taking advantage of it.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #644
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
No kids. It's a new way to play games, and I enjoy it.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #645
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:

Quote:

Both of you are definitely helping the decision here. I like to think of myself as a "thorough" gamer. Over the years, I've purchased games across the board, from mmorpg's and fps's, to every Zelda/Mario offering and Tiger Woods, to story based epics. The games that I enjoy the most, are the ones where I'm totally engrossed. I'm just finishing up Red Dead Redemption for the third time, simply because it's such a wonderful and addictive world. I'll happily wander around, ooohing and aaaahing over one of the most gorgeous set pieces I've seen in a game. I also really enjoy first person shooters, as I love online multiplayer. I've purchased (and worn out) just about every COD/MW/BF that's been offered. I will play the **** out of a game that makes me think, has a unique (and well told) storyline that brings me into the world, and forces me to think outside of the box. I'm not a 100% completion kind of guy, but damn close.

Anywho, I just love the art of storytelling in these types of games. When you can become absolutely consumed for hours at a time, because of the way the graphics/sound/plot come together...there's really nothing quite like it.

From everything you've both described, it sounds like this has that potential! Bioshock (in my opinion) was great, but I never felt "tied" to the characters. It had some beautiful storytelling, and yet there was something lacking...I dunno, it just didn't grab me like I was expecting it to. I'm a zombie nut anyways, and have enjoyed Naughty Dog's titles, so this one definitely piqued my interest.

I've read a LOT of your posts Drek, and Chris, I've seen many of the games you play on PSN...I'll strap on the simulated 7.1 surrounds and give it a shot.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #646
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Both of you are definitely helping the decision here. I like to think of myself as a "thorough" gamer. Over the years, I've purchased games across the board, from mmorpg's and fps's, to every Zelda/Mario offering and Tiger Woods, to story based epics. The games that I enjoy the most, are the ones where I'm totally engrossed. I'm just finishing up Red Dead Redemption for the third time, simply because it's such a wonderful and addictive world. I'll happily wander around, ooohing and aaaahing over one of the most gorgeous set pieces I've seen in a game. I also really enjoy first person shooters, as I love online multiplayer. I've purchased (and worn out) just about every COD/MW/BF that's been offered. I will play the **** out of a game that makes me think, has a unique (and well told) storyline that brings me into the world, and forces me to think outside of the box. I'm not a 100% completion kind of guy, but damn close.

Anywho, I just love the art of storytelling in these types of games. When you can become absolutely consumed for hours at a time, because of the way the graphics/sound/plot come together...there's really nothing quite like it.

From everything you've both described, it sounds like this has that potential! Bioshock (in my opinion) was great, but I never felt "tied" to the characters. It had some beautiful storytelling, and yet there was something lacking...I dunno, it just didn't grab me like I was expecting it to. I'm a zombie nut anyways, and have enjoyed Naughty Dog's titles, so this one definitely piqued my interest.

I've read a LOT of your posts Drek, and Chris, I've seen many of the games you play on PSN...I'll strap on the simulated 7.1 surrounds and give it a shot.

Thanks for the input!

My brother cant figure out why I replay games like Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect. I enjoy those kind of stories. I just love those universes, so its not a chore to me to become the last Cousland or be Shepard over and over.

Last of Us had me when Joel is crouching down and Ellie runs up and gets between him and the wall. Its a small thing, but it makes you care about the characters. Its just them man, no help is coming.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #647
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Meh.... I think Uncharted 2 was the best. I definitely enjoyed more the new Tomb Raider. Bioshock 1 and Infinite were awesome. Infinite has probably one of the best story lines in a long long time. Just started playing the Last of Us. Awesome game so far!

See, boobs? Even Heyneck likes it.

Watch out for those ****ing clickers. Blind plate faced mother effs...

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #648
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
My brother cant figure out why I replay games like Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect. I enjoy those kind of stories. I just love those universes, so its not a chore to me to become the last Cousland or be Shepard over and over.

Last of Us had me when Joel is crouching down and Ellie runs up and gets between him and the wall. Its a small thing, but it makes you care about the characters. Its just them man, no help is coming.

Exactly!

Well, I'll probably pick it up tonight and start on it when I finish up RDR (HAVE to come back as Marston's son and handle my bidness).

If HEYNECK is likin it, there might be hope!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #649
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
See, boobs? Even Heyneck likes it.

Watch out for those ****ing clickers. Blind plate faced mother effs...

If I'm playing this in a dark room with my headset on...am I going to need heart medication at some point??

EDIT: holy ****, just googled clickers.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #650
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Exactly!

Well, I'll probably pick it up tonight and start on it when I finish up RDR (HAVE to come back as Marston's son and handle my bidness).

If HEYNECK is likin it, there might be hope!!!

I'm seriously about the clickers. If you cant kill them with the ammo on hand or have a weapon, run. There is no shame hauling ass out of there.