The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default One Petabyte of Data on a DVD?

Looks like DVDs aren't dying anytime soon. I'm guessing one petabyte (= 1,024 terabytes) would hold my entire film library and leave room for many more.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...o-one-petabyte
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

fascinating thread, thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Porn storage problem no more.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Porn storage problem no more.
Why store when you can have the perviest search history in town?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Why store when you can have the perviest search history in town?
Sometimes I forget to clear it out. Then my wife wants to know why google autofills asian tentacle ass porn when she types an "a" in the search box.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,654

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Sometimes I forget to clear it out. Then my wife wants to know why google autofills asian tentacle ass porn when she types an "a" in the search box.
I assume you call her a pervert and walk away.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,710
Default

Asians have tentacles?


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Asians have tentacles?


I dunno. Ask my wife.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

This is the type of technological advancement that will be required for the 4k consumer video market to take off in the next few years. Cool stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,558

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Looks like DVDs aren't dying anytime soon. I'm guessing one petabyte (= 1,024 terabytes) would hold my entire film library and leave room for many more.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...o-one-petabyte
Even so, SSD's are the future. No spinning required. They use less space, less energy, they're more quite and obviously more durable.

The DVD will be dead soon enough, even with this new format.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

SSDs have a ton of value in running operating systems (ridiculous I/O speeds compared to a traditional HDD) but using them as a pure storage drive is a huge waste of resources/$$$


This new DVD burning technology would add immense value to a currently existing CHEAP storage disc

Last edited by lolcopter; 06-20-2013 at 03:57 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,388
Default

SSDs are way too expensive and fragile as hell.

Operating system yes, main hard drive, big mistake.

Long way to go before they are common.

4k will need broadcast tv and major internet infrastructure developments before

it is worth a look.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I dunno. Ask my wife.
good one.........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
4k will need broadcast tv and major internet infrastructure developments before

it is worth a look.
4k broadcast is YEARS away, maybe never possible without some heavy duty compression. From a consumer purchasing standpoint though, these super petabyte DVDs would provide enough space for 4k movies which can easily run 100GBs+


Right now the only way to watch 4k video is off a hard-drive. Blu-Ray own large enough, this tech may be a solution
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
4k broadcast is YEARS away, maybe never possible without some heavy duty compression. From a consumer purchasing standpoint though, these super petabyte DVDs would provide enough space for 4k movies which can easily run 100GBs+


Right now the only way to watch 4k video is off a hard-drive. Blu-Ray own large enough, this tech may be a solution

Correct but people want on demand tv...........Sony's lame attempt including a computer with their overpriced 4k sets was their answer.

Broadcast and internet 4k likely will never happen.

Basically you need 80 inch and up sets to actually see a difference and that is setting 5-6 feet away.

Basically if you have one of these you have an upconverting set........at best it is doubling the info it receives. NOT GOOD.

How many times do you watch that dvd or blu ray you own ?>

I think this new tech is a great advancement but not the answer.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Agreed. 4k tech is in its infancy right now and it's a ways away from being practical. This new tech isn't an answer for anything in particular imo, but could prove to be a great advancement of current storage technology.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Looks like DVDs aren't dying anytime soon. I'm guessing one petabyte (= 1,024 terabytes) would hold my entire film library and leave room for many more.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...o-one-petabyte
wow, it would be very very difficult to use all that space!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Sometimes I forget to clear it out. Then my wife wants to know why google autofills asian tentacle ass porn when she types an "a" in the search box.
I hate that damn google autofill. Start to type in youtube and the after the first letter its all youporn suggestions!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Private browsing is your porn loving friend
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
SSDs are way too expensive and fragile as hell.

Operating system yes, main hard drive, big mistake.

Long way to go before they are common.

4k will need broadcast tv and major internet infrastructure developments before

it is worth a look.
We run a multi-terabyte SSD array for some very performance critical data. While they are expensive (about double the per-megabyte), they are extremely fast. 12 months in they have been *very* durable as well. Failure rates far below what our hard drives are seeing.

My laptop is a pure SSD as well (so "main hard drive"). At 500 GB it provides the storage I need, is performant, and extremely fast. A year in on this it's been just fantastic as well.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
We run a multi-terabyte SSD array for some very performance critical data. While they are expensive (about double the per-megabyte), they are extremely fast. 12 months in they have been *very* durable as well. Failure rates far below what our hard drives are seeing.

My laptop is a pure SSD as well (so "main hard drive"). At 500 GB it provides the storage I need, is performant, and extremely fast. A year in on this it's been just fantastic as well.
Yeah SSDs are great. They are VERY durable - they don't have moving mechanical parts like HDDs do. As far as their lifetime issues, they are overrated as well. Technology is moving so fast even people that are not tech savvy upgrade their computers within 4-5 years anyway and will buy a new SSD to go with it.

Price is still the killer (though it's getting better everyday). Your 500GB SSD costs more than many people's laptops. You must be getting some great deals on SSDs if you can get them for double the per-megabyte... You can easily find a 1TB HDD for $50, every once in awhile you can get a great deal on a 500GB SSD for ~$280. That's close to 12x per megabyte cost difference.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Sometimes I forget to clear it out. Then my wife wants to know why google autofills asian tentacle ass porn when she types an "a" in the search box.
Need to use incognito mode. Works like a charm.....From what I heard. Never actually tried it..........
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Price is still the killer (though it's getting better everyday). Your 500GB SSD costs more than many people's laptops. You must be getting some great deals on SSDs if you can get them for double the per-megabyte... .
Keep in mind this is in a data-center environment, so the optical drives we're dealing with are quite a bit more pricey. So in the end the SSD's are around double.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,558

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
SSDs are way too expensive and fragile as hell.

Operating system yes, main hard drive, big mistake.

Long way to go before they are common.

4k will need broadcast tv and major internet infrastructure developments before

it is worth a look.
Fragile as hell? WTF are you talking about. What the hell do you think a Pen drive is (also called USB drive, Thumb Drive). It's essentially an SSD drive. Same technology. I've dropped mine on the floor and stepped on it accidentally and it still worked fine.

I'm not saying they're not the best option today. I said they are the future. They will only get smaller and hold more storage, and they don't have to have a device that spins them to read them. Trust me, they are the future.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Fragile as hell? WTF are you talking about. What the hell do you think a Pen drive is (also called USB drive, Thumb Drive). It's essentially an SSD drive. Same technology. I've dropped mine on the floor and stepped on it accidentally and it still worked fine.

I'm not saying they're not the best option today. I said they are the future. They will only get smaller and hold more storage, and they don't have to have a device that spins them to read them. Trust me, they are the future.
Why would I trust you? You stepped on your thumb drive
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Denver Broncos