The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
SlyEli

Default No Fairy-Tale Endings: Montee Ball's Senior Year

Here's a great article I dug up recently about Montee Ball, some of you may not have seen it. Really does a good job the hard work and adversity he faced over his college career.

Quote:
Here it comes, Ball remembers thinking on the flight home. Here comes the heat from the critics. The year before, he'd been the best player on one of the best offenses in the country. But while the rest of the Badgers' stars went to the NFL, Ball stayed behind. Here comes everybody saying, "He should have left."

Some had already been saying it. Conventional wisdom suggests running backs should get to the NFL as soon as possible. Better to start earning money now, before the hits add up and your legs slow down. And for Ball, life had spiraled downward shortly after he announced his plan to stay in Madison. He'd been photographed in handcuffs in the spring, beaten and left unconscious in the summer, and now stymied and embarrassed in the fall.

I could be sitting back, with money in the bank, playing on a huge stage, he thought. But I'm not. He insists his thoughts never developed into full-blown regret, but still: "At that point, even I'm thinking, Did I make the right decision?"
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...n-saved-career
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

kick ass!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good read, thanks. A little surprised he was only considered a 3rd round pick after his junior year. For those who read the article and wonder how he did in the upcoming (at the time) games, he went 39-191-1 in a loss to OSU, 27-111-1 in a loss at PSU, 21-202-3 in a win against Nebraska, and 24-100-1 in the Rose Bowl loss to Stanford.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Good article and while it was written during the season, Ball should now know it had a great ending.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

He probably should have come out early. Might still have been picked by the Broncos. Five RB's went in the first two rounds, Ronnie Hillman was the first RB taken in the 3rd round.

Trent Rich 3rd
Doug Martin 31st
David Wilson 32nd
Isaiah Pead 50th
LaMichael James 61st
Ronnie Hillman 67th
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Agamemnon

I still don't get this whole"too many carries in college" thing. When you're that young it doesn't matter unless you suffer a serious injury because the body can recover very quickly at that age. Wear and tear is something that happens to a back in their late 20s and early 30s, not their early 20s. LaDainian Tomlinson had 19 more carries in college than Ball did, and it had no negative effects on him in the NFL.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Bacchus

great article, thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I still don't get this whole"too many carries in college" thing. When you're that young it doesn't matter unless you suffer a serious injury because the body can recover very quickly at that age. Wear and tear is something that happens to a back in their late 20s and early 30s, not their early 20s. LaDainian Tomlinson had 19 more carries in college than Ball did, and it had no negative effects on him in the NFL.
Yep I don't get it either. I like having an experienced RB who has proven skill set especially now that McGahee is gone.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Yep I don't get it either. I like having an experienced RB who has proven skill set especially now that McGahee is gone.
He's also proven he can carry a heavy load and stay healthy. Meanwhile Eddie Lacy has one year of moderate carries and he's already got bad toes.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
True. Just depends on the kid though. Some people are simply more resilient to injury then some. Style is a big part of it too. Guys who know how to tweak their body at that last second and avoid constantly taking hard hits. I agree, you simply can't just say X number of carries means you have more wear and tear. That's just stupid.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote