The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #126
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

For all you trekkies, just saw this on r/amazondeals -

Star Trek I-VI + Captain's Summit Bonus Disc (all Blu-Ray) for $38.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=martyhucom-20

Your welcome.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #127
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I thought it was more written to kill off Spock, and if they couldn't sign him back for a couple more movies then just keep him dead. I just watched this with my 10 year old daughter for her 1st time to see TWOK and you could tell all the forshadowing, the Admiral on the ship meeting in the torpedo tubes, the use of great lit to forshadow death, needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one...the whole no win scenario theme that ran through the major characters, finally the last of the Tale of 2 Cities, I have been and all ways will be your friend. even thought the 1st and last chapters are perfect for the movie the rest of Dickens book doesn't have any other great quotes to steal.

Lucky for us they made the Spock III act believe able and slowly got Spock back to where he could play a couple roles in III and IV which were funny and touching.

Now I have to get ST III for my daughter to watch so she can see how they were able to bring him back to life and cheat the Kobishi Maur again.
Yeah just be sure to tell her when she watches III "Now sweetie this doesn't mean you can tell the mean girls at school that you hope pain is something they enjoy, k". I once got in trouble for using some of Lloyd's better lines way back in junior high.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #128
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Kaylore, I assume you've already read Shatner's Star Trek making-of books, yes?

This is also a very good read.

http://www.amazon.com/View-Bridge-Me.../dp/B002XULXV0
I actually haven't read a lot of books on the making of certain movies. I have watched a lot of extras on the DVD's and read things here and there, but never a full book. I'll take a look...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #129
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I actually haven't read a lot of books on the making of certain movies. I have watched a lot of extras on the DVD's and read things here and there, but never a full book. I'll take a look...
I still have the making of TMP in a box somewhere. That is about the only one I have read. I did read Shat's Bio but only because it was a gift.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #130
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Shatner's Star Trek Memories and Star Trek Movie Memories are great reads. Really insightful and entertaining stuff.

Nimoy also wrote two books you might find interesting: I Am Not Spock and years later...I Am Spock.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #131
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
He's not playing Khan.
This is up there with another timeless classic Bob prediction.....

Pfft.

The Chiefs defense will have no trouble stopping Quentin Griffin.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #132
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
This is up there with another timeless classic Bob prediction.....

Pfft.

The Chiefs defense will have no trouble stopping Quentin Griffin.
Saw it tonight and lol'd at the reveal because of this.

Is that why you didn't like it bobby? Another swing and a miss?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #133
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I still have the making of TMP in a box somewhere. That is about the only one I have read. I did read Shat's Bio but only because it was a gift.
Hey Broncosteven, as you and I appear to be of likes minds regarding Abrams apparent contempt for the sciences in his film-making process, I thought you might appreciate this break down of the "science" of Into Darkness.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62867

Apparently in this new Star Trek universe, It would have only taken Gene Krantz about 5 minutes to get Apollo 13 back from the Moon to the Earth.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #134
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I liked the new Star Trek. I'm a Treker. I favored the next generation with Picard and company. The original series is really old and hasn't aged well. I had problems with the reboot, but they were the plot holes, not the portrayals of their characters. I actually liked how the Kirk and Spock styles clashed. That's something TOS didn't do enough of. I don't think Abrams tells very good stories, but he's a good story teller and puts on a good show. I enjoyed Star Trek and hope to enjoy this one.
Given when the original series ran, it aged quite well for a long time. When Picard came along the technology leaps made in between were just too much to even make a comparison. You just had to be fair about it. What really aged well was the character development and dynamics between the orginal series characters especially when you consider how the original series ran less than 1/2 of the next generation time line. When you compare the shows running in the mid-sixties, Star Trek was off the charts in a brand new genre before Apollo. It was slow to take but by the time the first reruns hit, it was more popular the most of the first run shows. This was the age of Westerns and variety shows.

Having said that, renewing the two recent Star Trek movies with the original characters was a very risky proposition. Anyone of my era who lived through the time of the orignal series run time with preset expectations would have great skepticism. However, IMO the new producer/director/actors hit a home run on both movies. I applaud the success.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #135
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I can't imagine how awesome Star Trek must have been in the 60s compared to whatever else was on for a viewer. Even when an episode of TOS is on now I will watch it at the expense of almost anything else on and I'll be totally enthralled by it even though I've likely seen the episode numerous times. This is stuff that is almost 50 year old.....and it's still the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #136
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Hey Broncosteven, as you and I appear to be of likes minds regarding Abrams apparent contempt for the sciences in his film-making process, I thought you might appreciate this break down of the "science" of Into Darkness.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62867

Apparently in this new Star Trek universe, It would have only taken Gene Krantz about 5 minutes to get Apollo 13 back from the Moon to the Earth.
Good stuff.

I started to read it but I haven't seen the latest POS and wanted to avoid some of the spoilers though I know the big one. I hope I didn't miss it's run at the dollar theater as it disappeared from screens here pretty quickly during the 1st run. I figured I would take the kids to see it on the cheap on a rainy day.

I agree with what I read of the review, it was the science of Star Trek as well as it's humanity that pulled me in. Dudes who believe in conspiracy theories who make up implausable **** because it would be kick ass are what is killing sci-fi these days.

There is way less science and much more fiction. I look at the JJ Universe as Space/Action before I would consider it Sci-Fi.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #137
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I can't imagine how awesome Star Trek must have been in the 60s compared to whatever else was on for a viewer. Even when an episode of TOS is on now I will watch it at the expense of almost anything else on and I'll be totally enthralled by it even though I've likely seen the episode numerous times. This is stuff that is almost 50 year old.....and it's still the best thing since sliced bread.
TOS is awesome. My 14 yr old has seen both new movies and some of the next Gen movies but is now starting over with the originals. Awesome bonding time.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote