The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #101
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Denver is loaded with studs at the TE position....and I'm not talking Tamme/Driesen. They have 3 very young studs to groom! I'm still wondering why Virgil Green gets no love...

Virgil Green:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...zz-at-combine/

Green is a freak of nature folks....and probably has better hands to boot. The DB site has him at 6'5", but I think he's really 6'3".

Julius Thomas:

NY Times
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...all-tight-end/

Combine
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft.../julius-thomas

Lucas Read:

All-American x 2

http://www.themwc.com/sports/m-footb...021411aaa.html
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #102
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
He has good ball tracking ability when hauling in a long pass, and is a natural hands catcher. Thomas has a game built on speed and quickness. He knows how to use his big frame to box out defenders, and will square his shoulders to the line of scrimmage. This gives his quarterback the biggest target possible to throw to. Hes too fast for linebackers to cover, and too big for safeties to cover effectively. Thomas essentially creates mismatches every time he lines up on the field.

Last edited by baja; 06-16-2013 at 03:11 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #103
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Actually, he's saying he should start because he's been the best TE in practice so far, and has more upside potential.
Wow, dude. Either you're talking about an article different from the one in the OP or your reading comprehension is terribly damaged.

I went back and re-read the link in the OP, just in case I had been too hasty in my last post, and the words 'best' and 'practice' are nowhere to be found. The most he says about practices is a reference to a DB.com article which I also re-read and again makes no comparisons whatsoever between Thomas' performance in OTAs and those of the other TEs.

I did find this tidbit straight from the article, though:
Quote:
....based on what he can offer the team athletically, I believe he should be the starting tight end....
You do realize that you can root for a guy to succeed without completely diving into his corner and defending him from any and all criticism to the point of making blatantly incorrect claims on a message board, right? You don't have to turn everything into an argument just in case you're 'proven right' at a later point in time.

You can now begin typing, 'Actually, _____' in retort.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #104
Bacchus

Denver Broncos: Could Julius Thomas Be the Team's Secret Weapon?

The Denver Broncos are poised to have one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL in 2013 with players like Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball. But could there be another player opposing teams would have to account for?

If tight end Julius Thomas is going to step up and be the player the Broncos hoped they drafted in 2011, the time is now.

In his first two years in the league, Thomas caught just one meaningless pass. He should be one of the most interesting players to watch in training camp, and his development should be one of the most intriguing storylines of the summer.

Denver got solid production out of the position last season between Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen, but Thomas has the athleticism that they don't. He has the potential to be a matchup nightmare for defenses.

With a background in basketball, Thomas has a skill set that equates perfectly to today's tight end position. He is quick for his size and is able to use his big frame to shield off defenders for the ball. He exhibits good hands and pass-catching ability.

Thomas would also give Manning a big target at 6'5" and 250 pounds. He is very good with the ball in his hands and can be tough to bring down.

For a tight end, he can turn a routine crossing route into a big gain.

Manning loves to spread the ball around and is a master at finding the mismatch on defense.

Thomas is much too quick for a linebacker to cover one-on-one, but when matched up against a defensive back, Thomas will be able to use his size to win almost all of those battles. This could make him very similar to what the Broncos used to have in Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe.

So where does Thomas fit with the team currently?

He would be no higher than third on the depth chart behind Tamme and Dreessen. He would then have to fend off Virgil Green and undrafted rookie Lucas Reed. Despite being suspended for four games last season due to a violation of the league's substance abuse policy, Green has actually been more productive through his career than Thomas.

Dreessen and Tamme combined for 93 receptions, 911 yards and seven touchdowns. The Broncos would be happy to get that production again, but Thomas offers a combination of skills that could make the offense even more potent.

Denver had high hopes for Thomas when it used a fourth-round draft choice on him two years ago. Now, the Broncos hope to see the return they expected out of that investment. If it works out, it could pay big dividends.

Thomas has a long way to go to prove himself, and staying healthy will be at the top of that list. The team knows what it has in Tamme and Dreessen, but if Thomas can prove he has what it takes to be the starting tight end this season, he could be the final piece necessary for a run to the Super Bowl.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-secret-weapon
Old 07-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #105
Bacchus

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver
Demaryius Thomas, on Julius Thomas: "I knew he was going to be good."
2:31 PM - 3 Jun 2013
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #106
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

hopefully Thomas breaks out and makes a big impact on the team this season.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #107
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Bump

Julius Thomas 5-110- 22.0 -2 TD's
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #108
Bacchus

Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #109
Agamemnon

It's just one game, but what a great first start to build from.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #110
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Good to see #80 out there again doing us proud.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #111
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's just one game, but what a great first start to build from.
Yes, but it showed his big play potential....against the defending champions no less.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #112
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

And his blocking wasn't atrocious (he has made great strides in his blocking, credit to his hard work and the coaching staff)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #113
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

I know listening to someone brag about their fantasy team is a punishment generally reserved for the 7 level of hell, but I can't help myself.

Took a flyer on Julius Thomas in the late rounds of my Fantasy draft and the almost universal reaction from my league was, "Who is Julius Thomas?" After last night, I was pretty insufferable.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #114
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
And his blocking wasn't atrocious (he has made great strides in his blocking, credit to his hard work and the coaching staff)
I think his blocking is still spotty but the arrow is point up there as well... the bullets are flying and I am encouraged with what I am seeing
Broncos_OTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #115
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I think his blocking is still spotty but the arrow is point up there as well... the bullets are flying and I am encouraged with what I am seeing
Yeah, it's hit and miss on the blocking now. But that's a big improvement over miss and miss that it was before.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #116
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Until there are exactly 100 articles written about OJ, then I will not believe he was hyped ever.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #117
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Wow, dude. Either you're talking about an article different from the one in the OP or your reading comprehension is terribly damaged.

I went back and re-read the link in the OP, just in case I had been too hasty
The quote below is taken directly from the article, but brag on about your amazing reading comprehension skills.

"Word out of the Denver OTAs is that Thomas has again emerged as a possible major impact player for the Broncos."

It's, of course, a moot point now because Thomas brought the article to life last night.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #118
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I know listening to someone brag about their fantasy team is a punishment generally reserved for the 7 level of hell, but I can't help myself.

Took a flyer on Julius Thomas in the late rounds of my Fantasy draft and the almost universal reaction from my league was, "Who is Julius Thomas?" After last night, I was pretty insufferable.
I started him in 3 of my 4 teams.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #119
Shananahan

Quote:
The quote below is taken directly from the article, but brag on about your amazing reading comprehension skills.

"Word out of the Denver OTAs is that Thomas has again emerged as a possible major impact player for the Broncos."
Yeah but that isn't what you claimed at all, so I called you on it. It makes sense that you would wait until the day after a game like yesterday to respond and then still not address anything I said in my post, but I was never disputing Thomas as a prospect or arguing against him starting. The article was fluff with little behind it at that point.

Hopefully last night was just the beginning of something awesome for a long time.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #120
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

The TDs were great.

His elusiveness on the sidelines was awesome.

But, knocking Suggs on his arse? Bless you, Julius.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #121
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Yeah but that isn't what you claimed at all, so I called you on it.
Umm.....that's exactly what I claimed. I said the article was based on Julius' performance in practice and on his upside.

Quote:
It makes sense that you would wait until the day after a game like yesterday to respond and then still not address anything I said in my post
I didn't give your post a thought until someone bumped the thread, and you didn't make a single accurate point. What exactly are you expecting me to respond to?

Quote:
The article was fluff with little behind it at that point.
The article itself simply said that Thomas was once again a standout in practices and has a ton of upside.
For whatever reason you discounted that the report had any validity and therefore consider it fluff.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #122
Drunken.Broncoholic

What it shows is defenses key on welker And DT manning will just exploit that with OJ! He provides matchup problems.

Certainly a big building block in becoming a big threat to defenses.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #123
errand
Ring of Famer

Well if he keeps this up, he'll have close to 100 articles about him....then maybe Kaylore will believe the hype
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #124
Shananahan

Quote:
The article itself simply said that Thomas was once again a standout in practices
See...... no. It didn't. That's all I was saying in my first response. The article was based on nothing but upside with vague references to claims of Thomas allegedly looking good.

This is pretty stupid now, though.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #125
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Well if he keeps this up, he'll have close to 100 articles about him
2k in this system
easily