The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #2001
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Who won the Earl Chadderton Trophy? It's the award for the NHL player who is best at making banana bread while smoking cigarettes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #2002
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I applaud Alex for making it to the second round a couple times. Studly.
This is where I'll stop you. You can just easily say Crosby needed the cast he got when the Pens drafted 1/2 for 4 straight years and top 5 for 5. Dont act like Crosby had carried the team on his back.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #2003
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
This is where I'll stop you. You can just easily say Crosby needed the cast he got when the Pens drafted 1/2 for 4 straight years and top 5 for 5. Dont act like Crosby had carried the team on his back.
Not singlehandedly but he has played a very big role in the teams success. Actually without him they wouldn't have a team anymore. They'd be in KC at the Sprint Center and there would have been no CEC. His rookie season and the attention it drew in the city was a major reason Don Barden had to agree to fund a portion of the arena after his group won the casino rights over the Penguins partner, Isle of Capri. The CEC is literally the house that Sid built.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #2004
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,435

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
To break things down over the 8 seasons since the lockout:

Ovechkin
5-Time 1st Team All-Star (assuming #6 this season)
1 2nd Team All-Star
3 Hart Trophies
3 Pearson/Lindsey Trophies
3 Richards
1 Art Ross
Calder Trophy

Malkin
3-Time 1st Team All-Star
1 Hart
1 Lindsey
2 Art Ross
Conn Smythe Trophy
Calder Trophy

Crosby
1 1st Team All-Star (would assume #2 this season)
1 2nd Team All-Star
1 Hart
2 Pearson/Lindsey
1 Art Ross
1 Richard

We should all congratulate Sid tonight, the Generational Talent still has the second best resume on his own team, but he's gaining on Malkin.
I feel for Malkin, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. As for Crosby, clearly a top 10 talent but he's not a generational talent.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #2005
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,435

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Not singlehandedly but he has played a very big role in the teams success. Actually without him they wouldn't have a team anymore. They'd be in KC at the Sprint Center and there would have been no CEC. His rookie season and the attention it drew in the city was a major reason Don Barden had to agree to fund a portion of the arena after his group won the casino rights over the Penguins partner, Isle of Capri. The CEC is literally the house that Sid built.
CEC is the house Bettman built. /chadta
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #2006
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

He is easily a generational talent. He just can't avoid injuries. When he is out there he statistically out produces everyone else and anyone else.....he just can't stay out there and it's frustrating as hell as a fan.

When he broke his jaw and it became clear he couldn't come back in the reg season to hold on to the Art Ross (and it took MSL 25 days to surpass him) I actually just started crying in my office. I had to tell a co worker that it was about a family member cause I didn't want her to think I was a total nutjob if she knew I was crying about a hockey player and an award, but that just sucked. He should have at least 3 Art Rosses by now (08, 11, 13) and maybe 4 (12). It is very hard to take as a fan.
__________________

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-15-2013 at 07:56 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #2007
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
CEC is the house Bettman built. /chadta
Bettman also played a pretty big role behind the scenes, but they would have moved to KC if it wasn't for Sid reinvigorating the city. The amount of pressure put on politicos forced the casino winner to make concessions.
__________________

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-15-2013 at 07:52 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #2008
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Lol. Herc has to rely on injuries to win. I'm waiting for him to win something other than the Richard without external help.

Oh and you left out the Cup and the Golden Goal.

I applaud Alex for making it to the second round a couple times. Studly.
whoa now, let's not pretend that Sid didn't have a very nice supporting cast around him when they went to and when they've won the SCF.
Sid is good but it's not as if there is no one comparable to his level of play.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #2009
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
whoa now, let's not pretend that Sid didn't have a very nice supporting cast around him when they went to and when they've won the SCF.
Sid is good but it's not as if there is no one comparable to his level of play.
I didn't say he didn't have a good supporting cast. See my subsequent posts.

BTW Chicago and Boston in OT again. Epic
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #2010
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Boston wins. 1-1 series.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #2011
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Boo. Boston deserved that one, though. Dominated possession in OT.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #2012
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

This series is going to give me a freaking heart attack.

I love you Tuukka.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #2013
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

IMO Rask should win Conn Smythe even if Boston loses the series but its close ala Giguere from 03. Dude is sick.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #2014
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,435

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Rask and Quick are the next Brodeur/Roy's of this generation.

Although I liken Quick's style to Mike Richter.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #2015
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,024
Default

SoCal come on dude, if it's not the Washington Ovechkins, the caps don't win. In DC, it's always the Bryce Hapers, Ryan Zimmermans, Alex Ovechkins that get blamed while guys like Backstrom and the role players fly under the radar when they don't contribute ****.

DC organizations are terrible at building teams, they expect the superstars to excessively carry the team. It's funny to see the difference between the Orioles and Nats for example. On the Orioles, everyone chips in. On the Nationals, the guys hide behind "injuries" to Harper and Strasburg. It's a DC thing.

Crosby is a good player, but he has a great supporting cast and truthfully, without Malkin you don't win the Cup in 2009. The whole key is Malkin IMO.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #2016
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Bettman also played a pretty big role behind the scenes, but they would have moved to KC if it wasn't for Sid reinvigorating the city. The amount of pressure put on politicos forced the casino winner to make concessions.
If they moved to KC would they become the Scouts? And wear the old unis?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #2017
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,024
Default

2 very, very good teams.

This is the best series in quite sometime.

No matter what happens, tons of respect for both these Chicago and Boston squads
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #2018
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
If they moved to KC would they become the Scouts? And wear the old unis?
Bettman also rigged drafts to ensure Pens stayed in Pitt. He did the same with NY Islanders, Tampa Bay and you could even say Washington.

NBA/NHL are of the same breed. Bettman and Stern, they doctor the **** out of their leagues.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2019
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Seems we might be talking to Tampa about Letang. I would want Hedman and the No. 3 (Drouin). They could part with the pick but not Hedman too, that's too much....we would need to add something good.

But man if we could walk away from this with Hedman and Drouin that would be amazing.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #2020
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,435

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
unless the Leafs allow Toronto to have another team i don't see them going for another Canadian city. Seattle more than likely will get the team.
Leafs won't be able to prevent Quebec from having a team, they will be the next Canadian City to get a team if the NHL expands or another team struggles with revenue.

But yeah, Seattle is the confirmed Plan B since Bettman has already discussed plans with Seattle's mayor. If the City of Glendale can't approve the funds to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix on July 2nd, it will relocate to be the Seattle Metropolitans.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #2021
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe
 
Swedish Extrovert's Avatar
 
Formerly known as mightysmurf

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 15,927

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Leafs won't be able to prevent Quebec from having a team, they will be the next Canadian City to get a team if the NHL expands or another team struggles with revenue.

But yeah, Seattle is the confirmed Plan B since Bettman has already discussed plans with Seattle's mayor. If the City of Glendale can't approve the funds to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix on July 2nd, it will relocate to be the Seattle Metropolitans.

I thought Seattle was Canucks country?

Let's move the Canes back to Hartford and the Preds the Quebec (leave the Avs alone, lol).
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #2022
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,435

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I thought Seattle was Canucks country?

Let's move the Canes back to Hartford and the Preds the Quebec (leave the Avs alone, lol).
Won't impact the Canucks, but it will impact the Seattle Thunderbirds. A successful junior hockey team. They do very well at the gates and have been the source of controversy in the WHL because they treat their players a lot like professionals.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #2023
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seems we might be talking to Tampa about Letang. I would want Hedman and the No. 3 (Drouin). They could part with the pick but not Hedman too, that's too much....we would need to add something good.

But man if we could walk away from this with Hedman and Drouin that would be amazing.
No team would trade Hedman and a 1st for a glorified fourth forward.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #2024
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
No team would trade Hedman and a 1st for a glorified fourth forward.....
Like I said Finkle...ppg defenseman are hard to find. From what I've read there would be strong interest all over the league....only issue is compensation and whether he would sign in certain places.

They should be able to get a better deal for him than they got for Staal and they got a nice return in the latter case.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #2025
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Like I said Finkle...ppg defenseman are hard to find. From what I've read there would be strong interest all over the league....only issue is compensation and whether he would sign in certain places.

They should be able to get a better deal for him than they got for Staal and they got a nice return in the latter case.
Letang is a product of playing with Crosby and Slew Foot. Staal is worth more than Letang. You put Letang on let's say the Panthers and he quickly becomes a PP QB and 40-60 point player which is not worth a prospect/pick.

Staal is going to be Staal wherever he plays. Add to that fact you're going to have to shell 5-8 million a year for him, it greatly reduces the trade market. Slow trade market will yield less of a return.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Denver Broncos