The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #101
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
I still say, pirating does not cost the company any sales from me, I just would not have anything I have that is pirated, I would simply wait until its on tv to watch it, or wait till its on the radio to listen to it. So they don't lose any sales, and as far as im concerned with there not being any sales lost, I am not harming anybody, and if im not harming anybody its ok.

It's stealing but go ahead an spin it however you need in order to feel good about yourself.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #102
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It's stealing but go ahead an spin it however you need in order to feel good about yourself.
Downloading is not stealing, it's like copying a painting of Picasso and hanging it on your wall. Uploading is copying a painting and giving it to someone else. All the while the original is still in place.

If I could walk up to your house, point a duplicating gun at your car, and then point it into the street and have a second exact same car appear, which I get in and drive away. Did I just steal your car ? or did I reproduce an exact copy ?

Don't laugh because I bet you 50 years ago nobody thought you would be able to do what we can with digital files. A company has reproduced clips for guns using 3D printing, so it may not be as long as you think till a copy of a car can be made.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #103
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

chadta,

It's the very definition of stealing. You can try to justify or explain around it all you want, but that doesn't change anything.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #104
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Last night I rented a movie called The Impossible about the tsunami of 2004. Naomi Watts and Ewen Macgregor. I recommend it. Very powerful film. Tough to watch. I felt I was cheating by only paying $1.50 at Redbox for it. When artists like actors, directors, writers, FX, etc. put that much work into a film, they deserve to be paid for it. To not pay is to steal. Period.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #105
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I don't download stuff out of principle, but I HAVE watched GoT streams to see if I liked before I went and got HBO and I do watch some Broncos streams but I see that more as a lack of availability.

But as someone who has their stuff downloaded by people (ebook downloads etc), I don't mind. Royalties are so much higher in electronic copies that youre still making more than if it were all print, and it makes worth of mouth stronger.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #106
Bacchus

Quote:
Downloading is not stealing, it's like copying a painting of Picasso and hanging it on your wall. Uploading is copying a painting and giving it to someone else. All the while the original is still in place.

If I could walk up to your house, point a duplicating gun at your car, and then point it into the street and have a second exact same car appear, which I get in and drive away. Did I just steal your car ? or did I reproduce an exact copy ?

Don't laugh because I bet you 50 years ago nobody thought you would be able to do what we can with digital files. A company has reproduced clips for guns using 3D printing, so it may not be as long as you think till a copy of a car can be made.
3 D printers are going to change the world and just kill China;s economy. I bet they are scared ****less of them. It will destroy vast parts of their manufacturing.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #107
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:

Terrible analogies in every way.

An original Picasso: makes money for creator from a single buyer who pays a bunch. If that buyer does or does not choose to display the painting for free to the whole world, it makes no financial difference to Picasso and breaks none of his legal rights.

Music and movies: make money from a bunch of people who pay a little. If one buyer shares their purchased film with the whole world for free, it makes a big financial difference to the artist.

A copy of a Picasso: worth an infinitesimal percentage of the original because it is not that actual craftsmanship of a famous artist and not one of a kind. A Picasso derives its worth from being the only one ever created by a very specific individual.

A copy of a digital movie file: identical in content and equal in monetary worth to the the file that could be legally purchased via iTunes or wherever.

Duplicated copy of my car: you didn't steal a car from me (just as burning a copy of a DVD I legally purchased isn't stealing from me). You stole it from the car company that has invested millions in designing and engineering that design. The design of that car is their intellectual property. Just as it would be illegal for a rival car company to duplicate their patented blueprints. This is why we have copyright across all types of mediums.

My point is that stealing doesn't have to involve physically taking something away from another person (e.g. if you steal the Picasso, the original owner no longer has it at all). When an artist legally has the right to distribute (and limit access) to something they've created (like a movie or song), intruding on that right by taking a copy of that movie or song without their permission is illegally treading on that artist's rights.

Last edited by Kid A; 06-15-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #108
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Sorry but the way the music and movie industry butt raped the consumers for YEARS they need to just shut the hell up about pirating and get over it.

Call it theft , call it wrong , regardless it's going to happen and it changed the industry for the better as all tech did.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #109
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Sorry but the way the music and movie industry butt raped the consumers for YEARS they need to just shut the hell up about pirating and get over it.

Call it theft , call it wrong , regardless it's going to happen and it changed the industry for the better as all tech did.
That is not true quality has been spiraling down since we went away from Vinyl.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #110
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
That is not true quality has been spiraling down since we went away from Vinyl.

Old man ... /poke
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #111
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Yea Baja movies haven't been worth a crap since they switched to these dang Talkies with all the words and sounds ...
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #112
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:

Old man ... /poke
Have you ever listened to a vinyl record on a good stereo system?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #113
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Yea Baja movies haven't been worth a crap since they switched to these dang Talkies with all the words and sounds ...

There are some that would argue that as well. Not me though.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #114
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:

There have been some important changes to the industries thanks to the Internet. And facing up to the inevitability of piracy has created positive effects: I don't think Netflix and Spotify secure the distribution rights they have if the studios didn't need to compete with piracy. But, nonetheless, it's stealing when you download copyrighted material for free, regardless of how you feel about the people owed a cut of the money. Whether you thought it was "rape" how much they charged for a CD, that was the price the market was willing to pay for content they legally controlled.

I'm in my twenties. I've done a ton of it and justified it to myself through various moral gymnastics. But I was just ****ting myself. There is so much readily and legally available content for very cheap, that there is no longer a good excuse to need to steal anything.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #115
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Have you ever listened to a vinyl record on a good stereo system?
Yea I was just messing with you ...

The first few time a record is played on a really good system it's one of the best reproductions you can get ... For like 5 plays heheh
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #116
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

But, I mean, yeah I'm human. I did download the Yeezus leak yesterday.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #117
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
But, I mean, yeah I'm human. I did download the Yeezus leak yesterday.
lol
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #118
turbodaze

Hmm $9+ movie when it comes out. 3D is around $13+ dollars.

If I wait, it goes to the $3 movie theater we have.

If I wait even longer, till it comes to Redbox. I'm paying only $1.50 for BLURAY.

HMM, no wonder I'm waiting until it comes on redbox.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #119
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
Hmm $9+ movie when it comes out. 3D is around $13+ dollars.

If I wait, it goes to the $3 movie theater we have.

If I wait even longer, till it comes to Redbox. I'm paying only $1.50 for BLURAY.

HMM, no wonder I'm waiting until it comes on redbox.
Some Redbox selections are pretty lame and they have a lot of titles that are rented out when you are there. I stopped going to the ones we have.

I love this site.

http://www.axxomovies.in/
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #120
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

I havent been to the theaters in years. Theres really only 1-2 movies worth seeing in the theaters a year. Movies have gotten so bad over the past few years.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #121
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Duplicated copy of my car: you didn't steal a car from me (just as burning a copy of a DVD I legally purchased isn't stealing from me). You stole it from the car company that has invested millions in designing and engineering that design. The design of that car is their intellectual property. Just as it would be illegal for a rival car company to duplicate their patented blueprints. This is why we have copyright across all types of mediums.
Which is fine, It doesn't respect copyright, I dont see that as theft though.

I dont value the idea to make something, ideas without the actual creation are just dreams, the creation of the item is where the value comes from in my mind, not that idea to make it. So to make a copy of it, you do the creation, even though you used somebody elses idea.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #122
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I probably bought 100 cds of local bands over the last 5 years and another 3500.00 bucks over that time going to concerts. Not saying it justifies anything because I am not looking for that. Just saying that i don't feel guilty for downloading old blues and jazz records of guys that got screwed by record companies on the royalties anyways.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #123
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

What about unlicensed apparal. Do any of you buy that? You now knockoffs fake Broncos gear.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #124
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

I dont value the idea to make something, ideas without the actual creation are just dreams, the creation of the item is where the value comes from in my mind, not that idea to make it. So to make a copy of it, you do the creation, even though you used somebody elses idea.
That.

Is ****ing.

Moronic.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #125
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

WTF are you even talking about?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote