The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Obama Sending Arms to Syria

Stupid move, IMHO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3438625.html
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

CIA is already carrying out training operations. They're just advisers. I've heard that somewhere before.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Great Clinton calls him a wussy and he cracks. I'd rather drop bombs for them then do this. You know Rho then every once in awhile we say ooops did we drop that on Al Queda leadership? Our bad fog of war and all ya know? Giving them weapons is idiotic. If you want to finish assad finish him the same way you did Gaddaffi.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Big deal shoulder fired anti tank weapons wont turn the battle. Only air support helps win this thing.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Once again, we're carrying out the same idiotic pattern as we have so many times in the past; Sticking our noses in somebody else's civil war. It's a no-win situation. We seem unable to learn from history.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I doubt this gets too messy. Fact is Assad is going to have to go at some point. The question is how long do we want it to take. I don't see how small arms and anti tank missiles will turn the battle but I guess it could. IMO you need some air strikes.

Remember Iraq was a cakewalk but Bush decided to try and play Rome and rebuild the place. As long as Obama doesn't care about the infrastructure or security of the govt he leaves behind he can finish assad rather easily I would think.

Its more he wanted to try and have a great 2nd term. I doubt all these scandals then another war is really great for that 2014 liberal turnout.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Once again, we're carrying out the same idiotic pattern as we have so many times in the past; Sticking our noses in somebody else's civil war. It's a no-win situation. We seem unable to learn from history.
I have no idea why this is the case, but you certainly are right. It is just depressing seeing this sort of thing. Outside a few instances of operations overseas, we haven't done anything substantial or successful since WWII -- at least in my opinion.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I doubt this gets too messy. Fact is Assad is going to have to go at some point. The question is how long do we want it to take. I don't see how small arms and anti tank missiles will turn the battle but I guess it could. IMO you need some air strikes.

Remember Iraq was a cakewalk but Bush decided to try and play Rome and rebuild the place. As long as Obama doesn't care about the infrastructure or security of the govt he leaves behind he can finish assad rather easily I would think.

Its more he wanted to try and have a great 2nd term. I doubt all these scandals then another war is really great for that 2014 liberal turnout.
The American government seems unable to grasp the concept that some things are none of our business. George Washington warned them in his farewell address and they still can't figure it out.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I have no idea why this is the case, but you certainly are right. It is just depressing seeing this sort of thing. Outside a few instances of operations overseas, we haven't done anything substantial or successful since WWII -- at least in my opinion.
It comes from the egotism and arrogance that gives some the belief that we can control all ends to our benefit. You have to have a certain amount of humility to accept the fact that this is just not true.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It comes from the egotism and arrogance that gives some the belief that we can control all ends to our benefit. You have to have a certain amount of humility to accept the fact that this is just not true.
War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they will profit from it.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they will profit from it.
That, and the military/industrial complex seems to wag the American dog.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
B-Large

I read an article that one of the Rebel commanders carves out the organs of his enemies and eats them on YouTube to intimidate and horrify the other side. I know weve pissed on some Korans and made human pyramids with naked Iqaqis...

but eating another human heart, raw... something tells me to stay the **** out of that region and that mess....
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I read an article that one of the Rebel commanders carves out the organs of his enemies and eats them on YouTube to intimidate and horrify the other side. I know weve pissed on some Korans and made human pyramids with naked Iqaqis...

but eating another human heart, raw... something tells me to stay the **** out of that region and that mess....
Hopefully he has the good sense to add some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What I also hope is that this is not just another cynical, geopolitical game where we give the rebels just enough guns and ammo to keep fighting, but not win, while Iran gets drawn in deeper and deeper. There are millions of innocent people in Syria who's lives are being destroyed. To draw it out for own purposes would be an act of unspeakable cruelty.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

drawing it out is exactly what obama is doing Rho. It looks like American policy this time is let the islamists come to Syria to fight. If they are flocking to Syria then they can't go other places and attack us.

Funny though Roh because you can't help the civilians by staying out of it. If you do that they still get slaughtered. So which is it? do you care about civilians or not?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
drawing it out is exactly what obama is doing Rho. It looks like American policy this time is let the islamists come to Syria to fight. If they are flocking to Syria then they can't go other places and attack us.

Funny though Roh because you can't help the civilians by staying out of it. If you do that they still get slaughtered. So which is it? do you care about civilians or not?
When it comes to a civil war that we are not a party to, any action is going to be the wrong action. We can help Turkey and the other surrounding nations with refugee relief.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Big deal shoulder fired anti tank weapons wont turn the battle. Only air support helps win this thing.
Playing COD doesn't make you expert on military actions.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Playing COD doesn't make you expert on military actions.
So what? I can read what military experts say and that's air power needed to break the Syrian govt advantage. Thats like saying playing fantasy football doesn't make you an expert on football so why bother making any comments about what you think Broncos need to do to win.

So which is it do we have to be experts to give our opinions now?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
So what? I can read what military experts say and that's air power needed to break the Syrian govt advantage. Thats like saying playing fantasy football doesn't make you an expert on football so why bother making any comments about what you think Broncos need to do to win.

So which is it do we have to be experts to give our opinions now?
No you don't need to expert to express your opinion, but you should at least want to have informed statement before you throw stuff out. Air power by itself will not provide either tactical or operational advantage needed at this point to change current kinetic actions. Right now the various rebel groups are relying on civilian small arms, M40 recoilless rifles and self made Anti-armor munitions to counter Syrian government advantage of APV (Soviet/Russian BMP and their variants) in urban environments. Inability to operate in urban environments is hinder the rebel movement ability to turn the fight and lengthening the conflict.

So having Anti-armor munitions will grant them an immediate tactical advantage, something they won't get from air support because their is no C2 ability at this moment to coordinate actions. Plus because we have not begun air defense suppression actions, air support is at least 3 to 4 months off, while anti tank weapons could start having effects within a month.

Giving us breathing room to be begin building the required logistic and training support that going to be needed to support this movement.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

meh all BS unless we use air power Assad won't fall. Sure anti tank weapons will help but it won't be enough. Assad will still have them outgunned with artilliary, helicopters, air strikes. Really unless Obama sets up a no fly zone I doubt Assad falls.

Now I do agree they would have to take out the air defenses etc first and it would take some time but that goes without saying.

Obama afraid to wade in and instead is doing the least amount he can without doing nothing.

Bill Clinton right he is a wuss.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Besides Elsid they are already getting small arms and rocket propelled grenades through Saudi Arabia, who gets them from us. So really Obamas announcement is all just grandstanding and means nothing on the ground in Syria. They already have shoulder fired weapons and small arms. They need a no fly zone to set up rebel bases in free from attack. They need air power called in to help them advance on key installations.

But..... like i said i don't think Obama wants them to win, at least not yet.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

/end thread

Dudes in a race with W to the bottom. Somewhere Cheney is climaxing.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Besides Elsid they are already getting small arms and rocket propelled grenades through Saudi Arabia, who gets them from us. So really Obamas announcement is all just grandstanding and means nothing on the ground in Syria. They already have shoulder fired weapons and small arms. They need a no fly zone to set up rebel bases in free from attack. They need air power called in to help them advance on key installations.

But..... like i said i don't think Obama wants them to win, at least not yet.
U.S. officials are expected to meet with Gen. Salim Idriss, head of the rebel Supreme Military Council, over the next two days to discuss details of military assistance that Washington can provide. Rebel leaders said Idriss will urge the U.S. officials to offer a wider range of support.

“We welcome the decision, but it is a late step. And if they send small arms, how can small arms make a difference?” said Louay al-Mokdad, political and media coordinator for the Free Syria Army. “They should help us with real weapons, antitank and antiaircraft, and with armored vehicles, training and a no-fly zone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...8f8_story.html
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
The American government seems unable to grasp the concept that some things are none of our business. George Washington warned them in his farewell address and they still can't figure it out.
You seem to lack a grasp of what American policy has been since ww2. Everything is our business.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Exactly Elsid the want a no fly zone and without out this is not much. Thanks for proving my point.