The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #51
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
When you put movies out like AFTER EARTH or THE DAY AFTER TOMMOROW etc no wonder you aren't making as much as you want to.
lol I love the part where they're all butthurt about red tails not doing so well

Um, because that movie was terrible... that's why
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #52
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
A bit alarmist given the industry as a whole is still setting records year after year with attendance numbers

And you already pay like $25 to see iron man lol
I think I paid $10.50 to see it at Century Aurora. A good movie but not a great one.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #53
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

It's just not worth it to go to the theater anymore. The only time my girlfriend will go to the movies is if I pay $20+/ticket to go to the Cinepolis in La Jolla that has reclining lazy boys and servers who bring you average but incredibly expensive food and drink.

Who wants to go to a germ infested theater when they can wait a few months and torrent it at home? Home theaters have just gotten too good. The NFL is having almost the exact same problem.

Theater prices are simply too high. Once the theater going generation dies off, I truly think that most theaters will go the way of the newspaper.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Um, because that movie was terrible... that's why
A lot of movies are terrible and clearly a lot of people who write movie scripts are ethically challenged.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #55
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post

Theater prices are simply too high. Once the theater going generation dies off, I truly think that most theaters will go the way of the newspaper.
lol it doesn't/won't work like that. The movie going experience crosses all generations and will not be made obsolete due to technology, much like newspapers were. People will continue going to the movies for blockbuster releases, ridiculously good audio production, a massive screen, an outgoing social experience, etc etc
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #56
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
lol it doesn't/won't work like that. The movie going experience crosses all generations and will not be made obsolete due to technology, much like newspapers were. People will continue going to the movies for blockbuster releases, ridiculously good audio production, a massive screen, an outgoing social experience, etc etc
lol?

If you're 'lol'ing, perhaps you're underestimating future advances in home theater technology. If you actually think that the theater business isn't on the decline and perhaps going the way of the dodo, it's either hubris or, actually it's probably hubris.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #57
lolcopter

Quote:
lol?

If you're 'lol'ing, perhaps you're underestimating future advances in home theater technology. If you actually think that the theater business isn't on the decline and perhaps going the way of the dodo, it's either hubris or, actually it's probably hubris.
I was lol'ing mostly at the "movie going generation" part -- that doesn't exist. EVERYONE goes to the movies. Advances in technology make lots of headway in the consumer market and home theaters, but you will never be able to recreate a 30 foot screen in your basement. I'd bet the industry will be around for years to come, decades even.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #58
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
I was lol'ing mostly at the "movie going generation" part -- that doesn't exist. EVERYONE goes to the movies. Advances in technology make lots of headway in the consumer market and home theaters, but you will never be able to recreate a 30 foot screen in your basement. I'd bet the industry will be around for years to come, decades even.
You're probably right, I'm being a little over enthusiastic here. I guess movie going generation doesn't make sense, but there was no newspaper generation either, and that took a massive hit as technology changed. That's my point I guess. I'm sure the industry will be around for decades, and NO ONE can predict the future, but the industry will definitely have to adapt to keep it's position.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I already pay $25 to see Ironman and I wouldn't spend a dollar on Lincoln.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
lolcopter

Quote:
that took a massive hit as technology changed. That's my point I guess. I'm sure the industry will be around for decades, and NO ONE can predict the future, but the industry will definitely have to adapt to keep it's position.
I'd say its doing a fairly good job of adapting on the back end where most consumers aren't immediately able to tell. For instance, the majority of theaters no longer even ship physical film feels for releases. A majority of circuits are all linked by a digital network that allows them to electronically send movies/trailers out to the screens. This saves a ton of logistics legwork and allows films to get distributed in a much quicker and better quality manner.

I think the future will just kind of speed up the currently existing model -- theatre release, followed by an even quicker physical media release to the general public. They are already shipping discs pretty darn quickly after a theatrical release, I think that window will just keep shrinking as time goes on.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #61
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
I'd say its doing a fairly good job of adapting on the back end where most consumers aren't immediately able to tell. For instance, the majority of theaters no longer even ship physical film feels for releases. A majority of circuits are all linked by a digital network that allows them to electronically send movies/trailers out to the screens. This saves a ton of logistics legwork and allows films to get distributed in a much quicker and better quality manner.

I think the future will just kind of speed up the currently existing model -- theatre release, followed by an even quicker physical media release to the general public. They are already shipping discs pretty darn quickly after a theatrical release, I think that window will just keep shrinking as time goes on.
What do you think about the ridiculously high ticket prices?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
lolcopter

Quote:
What do you think about the ridiculously high ticket prices?
As previously mentioned itt it's not a big deal to me because I work in cinema advertising and I get a season pass so I can take a +1 to a movie every single day :p

Really though... the pricing is a bit much. Maybe they could start include more incentives for consumers like... buy this movie ticket, get $10 off the blu-ray when it's releases in two months... or something like that.

The current pricing just makes people really pick and choose what they really wanna go see. Seems like the circuits would be wise to adapt a monthly subscription or a similar model for more frequent viewers imo.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #63
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
As previously mentioned itt it's not a big deal to me because I work in cinema advertising and I get a season pass so I can take a +1 to a movie every single day :p

Really though... the pricing is a bit much. Maybe they could start include more incentives for consumers like... buy this movie ticket, get $10 off the blu-ray when it's releases in two months... or something like that.

The current pricing just makes people really pick and choose what they really wanna go see. Seems like the circuits would be wise to adapt a monthly subscription or a similar model for more frequent viewers imo.
Makes sense. Have the theaters always had to make their money off concessions or is that a recent development? I remember reading somewhere that they don't make a cent off ticket prices.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #64
lolcopter

Quote:
Makes sense. Have the theaters always had to make their money off concessions or is that a recent development? I remember reading somewhere that they don't make a cent off ticket prices.
That's a good question to which I do not have any solid answers for. The concessions are definitely the big ticket item for them, and they also make revenue from advertising, but I have no idea if they actually make money off actual ticket sales or not.

Some theater circuits could go forego the standard model and do something like Alamo Drafthouse -- show older movies and new releases, but serve drinks and food simultaneously. They have like actual meals, not just popcorn and soda. Also beer.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #65
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Busted?
Did that Nice Dinner include a Fish Samwich?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #66
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
That's a good question to which I do not have any solid answers for. The concessions are definitely the big ticket item for them, and they also make revenue from advertising, but I have no idea if they actually make money off actual ticket sales or not.

Some theater circuits could go forego the standard model and do something like Alamo Drafthouse -- show older movies and new releases, but serve drinks and food simultaneously. They have like actual meals, not just popcorn and soda. Also beer.
We have 2 of these in Scottsdale, AZ. Never been but I hear its nice and not to annoying when people are serving.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #67
lolcopter

Yeah they do a good job of ducking down and staying out of the way. The ordering system is so simple, it's brilliant. You just write what you want on a small piece of paper then put it in a holder on the front of your table, the server will walk by while ducking, grab the order, and bring the food/beverages out when ready. Pretty cool alternative setup they have going imo.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #68
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

can't remember the last time I was like oooh I have to go see that in the theater. Maybe the Batman movie with the joker or one of the Bourne movies. It feels like they're all blah/meh anymore. I was excited for Prometheus but that was a giant fail.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
They need to give themselves some more awards.
I love this comment. It's become quite old seeing people who win academy awards get up on stage and try to lecture people on the importance of the work they do...as if people couldn't live without movies. Meanwhile, they jack up ticket prices while boxing out independent films.

The truth is, in any given year, and Indy or foreign film is better than the movie what wins a lot of awards.

Hollywood has become an incestuous joke. It's become a bunch of formulaic garbage.

The one good thing that was mentioned was the idea of paying 7 dollars for Lincoln. Part of the problem is that all movies are priced the same. You're always paying so much to see a home run, that you can't appreciate a double or a triple.

The movie industry is simply out of touch.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #70
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Say what you want but I think a huge reason why movies are not doing as well is because home theaters are just so good right now. People would rather pay $150 for a BlueRay movie at Redbox and go home on their couch and eat their $1 microwave popcorn and their .50 cent can of soda.

I'll still go see some movies at the theater, like the Avatar's and what not. But there's no way I'm going to go see some comedy or something and pay $25 (for 1 person).

Honestly it's not the price of movies that has gotten insane, it's the price you pay for popcorn, soda or candy. That's as much if not more then the movie itself.

I don't think movies will implode, I think the big screen is what's going to implode. Forget the "big 6". Let's blame the "big 2" (Harkins and AMC). The cost of their goodies is more then the damn movie itself.

Home theatres might be really good now but that's not really it. The movies coming out simply aren't good enough to make you want to pay $15 (or whatever) to go to the movies.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #71
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
can't remember the last time I was like oooh I have to go see that in the theater. Maybe the Batman movie with the joker or one of the Bourne movies. It feels like they're all blah/meh anymore. I was excited for Prometheus but that was a giant fail.
Pretty much...

And side note , Now that the original "best trilogy" Star Wars has been corpse raped I'm going to go ahead and proclaim The Dark Knight trilogy the new Trilogy world champ ...

And if someone says it's Lotr I will throat punch you and with the Hobbit it's 4 anyway I guess. I'm not a Lotr fan tho , it would have been a great movie if you removed the ring , and the dorks carrying it.

O well outie before I totally thread jack.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #72
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Besides going to the drive in right near my house that I think is the last one open in Ohio I haven't went out to see a movie in 10 years or more.
There,s a Drive in on US 2 just outside of toledo, I drive past it everytime I go to cedar point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I saw an 80 inch flat screen at Cosco for about 3 K. A home theater is getting affordable for more and more people.
Ive been eyeing that one, I wanted to go projector but the kids play alot of wii, and xbox Kinect and I wont have the ceiling height to do it properly, They have a 90 inch one too, but its like 9 grand, big jump for an extra 10 inches.

The new house will have a theatre room, got the popcorn popper, got the audio stuff already, nice onkyo with iphone app, going to use my old PC as a media center, picked up a 3 tb internal drive and a 60 day premium rapidgator membership, ive been downloading like crazy at 15 MB/ down.

Still take the kids to the drive in once a summer with 3 other familys just cuz the kids love it. Otherwise I wait till its out on DVD unless I come across a screener.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #73
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
There,s a Drive in on US 2 just outside of toledo, I drive past it everytime I go to cedar point.
I actually know where that is . Seen that when I was visiting GFs parents right near Cedar Point. Good to hear it's still open , been a few years since I been up there.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #74
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
I actually know where that is . Seen that when I was visiting GFs parents right near Cedar Point. Good to hear it's still open , been a few years since I been up there.
http://www.greateasterntheatres.com/sundancehome.asp
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #75
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I have thought about opening a drive-in here in Cabo but I haven't because I don't want to contribute to teen pregnancy.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote