The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think by "implosion" what they're talking about is what films will get made. There will be a **** ton of cheap, bad movies and a handful of big budget comic book movies.

Personally, I've stopped going to the movies. I have a 60" plasma with blu-ray and theater sound. I can wait for the vid to come out. The last movie I went to was Return of the King. There were people talking on their cell phones or texting (with their little glowing screens) through the whole film. People don't know how to act in public anymore. Plus, twenty bucks for popcorn and a coke? Adios.

Anyway, given the way tech is going, in ten years anybody will be able to make an epic film with CG actors on their laptop and share it online.
That's what happening now, actually. There's only a few companies making those 20-30 mil budget movies anymore. What you're seeing is a lot more tent poles (ther 100m budget movies) and a slew of low budget stuff. On the independent front, there's a shift from making 5 million dollar movies to making 5 one million dollar movies.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That's what happening now, actually. There's only a few companies making those 20-30 mil budget movies anymore. What you're seeing is a lot more tent poles (ther 100m budget movies) and a slew of low budget stuff. On the independent front, there's a shift from making 5 million dollar movies to making 5 one million dollar movies.
yep and computer animation really cuts back on the cost to make cheap sci/fi fantasy crap movies.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I saw an 80 inch flat screen at Cosco for about 3 K. A home theater is getting affordable for more and more people.
I bought a Sharp 80" at Sams last year. Have a 7.1 surround system built into the ceiling. Looks and sounds better than anything at the local theater. We still go if there is something we just can't wait to watch.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
bombay
Ring of Famer

Hannah Simone is truly gorgeous.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah but the other patron of my home theater is terrible at following plot lines and has no problem talking during the movie.
She sounds uppity.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
DenverDynamite

For me, going to the movies is still a good time. I have a quality system at home, however, there is still something for the shared social experience. It's like football, I love watching it on TV too, however, once or twice year, I like to take in a game in person. It's more memorable, and hell, even the crappy, over-priced food seems to taste better at a stadium/theater.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #32
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I wonder if the majority of films being made today aren't targeted to the overseas (especially Asian) market, rather than domestic? You always hear the Hollywood numbers guys talking about making their money back overseas.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah but the other patron of my home theater is terrible at following plot lines and has no problem talking during the movie.
is she hot?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #34
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
My home theater serves beer. And they pause the movie for piss breaks.
So when is the next showing ?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #35
Drunken.Broncoholic

Haven't been to a movie theater in about 3 or so years. They can keep their 20 dollar popcorn.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #36
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Say what you want but I think a huge reason why movies are not doing as well is because home theaters are just so good right now. People would rather pay $150 for a BlueRay movie at Redbox and go home on their couch and eat their $1 microwave popcorn and their .50 cent can of soda.

I'll still go see some movies at the theater, like the Avatar's and what not. But there's no way I'm going to go see some comedy or something and pay $25 (for 1 person).

Honestly it's not the price of movies that has gotten insane, it's the price you pay for popcorn, soda or candy. That's as much if not more then the movie itself.

I don't think movies will implode, I think the big screen is what's going to implode. Forget the "big 6". Let's blame the "big 2" (Harkins and AMC). The cost of their goodies is more then the damn movie itself.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I wonder if the majority of films being made today aren't targeted to the overseas (especially Asian) market, rather than domestic? You always hear the Hollywood numbers guys talking about making their money back overseas.
Def a huge part of it. They are catering to a global market these days. There are still plenty of American "busts" that do well overseas. In fact, you're seeing a lot of blockbusters now opening overseas before they do domestically to get good buzz
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Say what you want but I think a huge reason why movies are not doing as well is because home theaters are just so good right now. People would rather pay $150 for a BlueRay movie at Redbox and go home on their couch and eat their $1 microwave popcorn and their .50 cent can of soda.

I'll still go see some movies at the theater, like the Avatar's and what not. But there's no way I'm going to go see some comedy or something and pay $25 (for 1 person).

Honestly it's not the price of movies that has gotten insane, it's the price you pay for popcorn, soda or candy. That's as much if not more then the movie itself.

I don't think movies will implode, I think the big screen is what's going to implode. Forget the "big 6". Let's blame the "big 2" (Harkins and AMC). The cost of their goodies is more then the damn movie itself.
People will never stop going to the movies because its the experience they crave. Plus, its a low key, still relatively inexpensive night out. You know what a lot of people hate? Staying at home on weekends. It makes them feel lame. Going to the movies is an easy night out that makes you feel like you did something.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Too expensive now, too many other options for entertainment.

I'd rather take a girl out for a nice dinner (given a trip to a movie can cost upwards of $50) and then a movie back at home on my HDTV.

The industry is changing.

I hope this leads to more higher budget TV shows, like Game of Thrones. I will watch all the Iron Man movies, they're all the same really, just keep him dropping 1 liners and blowing stuff up, more than enough entertainment for a weekly hour run show too.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

There are only a few movies I just MUST see in the theater. The Nolan Batman series was great, and I saw Avengers and will go see Ironman 3 tonight or tomorrow. Lincoln was just as (if not more) enjoyable at home.

Blu ray and big screen for the win.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
once prices went over 10 i decided to take a break from seeing movies every weekend.........and sadly (for them) i dont miss it.
I illegally DL all the movies
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #42
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
From my understanding of how the local theatres run their operations, they make absolutely no money on ticket sales because they have to pay soooo damn much money to show the films. So, at best, they break even on the cost to show the film and gross ticket sales.

This is why concessions are so much because this is how the theatres make profits. So, if you don't buy from the concessions, you aren't really helping the movie theatre make money.

It's a bad, bad, bad, and broke system when the retailers aren't making any money or profit off the actual product they are selling.
Close, there is a Theatre/ Studio split in the movie business... for the first 4 weeks the move is out, the Studio cut is 90/10. Week 5-6, its 75/25... 6 weeks + is 60/40, or something like that. The Theatres try to renogotiate that inital split because that is where the money is from the tickets. Yes, Concessions are a money make but they often ony make up the ****ty split that theatres get form the big Studios.

You will begin to see massive 20+ screen theatre complexes condolidate int he future, especially as studios consider selling and releasing directly to home theatres.

90% of movies that come out suck, they are just garbage with beautiful models in lieu of talented actors and doo-doo story lines. Dark Knight, long convoluted and boring- saw it home, thank god. Twilight- youre a retard if you thought that movie had a redeeming value- watch it at home, thank god. I am seriously afraid of watching another Hollywood movie, they just tend to be terrible.... the new one with Seth Rogan that is supposed to be funny is not indacted as so in the trailer.. it looks horrific. The only movie I have seen lately that I thought was somewhat interesting was the Hunger Games... notice how every one of the 24 were decent looking thin people not relaistic, but overall watchable.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
lolcopter

new Star Trek movie was awesome on the big screen
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm fine with whatever they charge. Just download the movie and watch it at home for free. I know its stealing but i hate hollywood and their politics so i think its funny. In fact I think i will steal something and watch it friday night on my home theater.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #45
lolcopter

Pirates gonna pirate itt

Have fun when you eventually get the bill tho
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #46
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Maybe just put a commercial in the middle of the movie. I could see it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #47
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
A bit alarmist given the industry as a whole is still setting records year after year with attendance numbers

And you already pay like $25 to see iron man lol
Yeah, it may be that as a share of their parent companies they are shrinking. But that's only because movie studios used to be movie studios. Now they've all been swallowed up by huge mass media conglomerates. That may lead to some studio frustration here and there, but 'implosion' is a bit much.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #48
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Too expensive now, too many other options for entertainment.

I'd rather take a girl out for a nice dinner (given a trip to a movie can cost upwards of $50) and then a movie back at home on my HDTV.
You dirty dog.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #49
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You dirty dog.
Busted?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

When you put movies out like AFTER EARTH or THE DAY AFTER TOMMOROW etc no wonder you aren't making as much as you want to.