The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default The End of Movies As We Knew Them?

Spielberg says there's going to be an "implosion" of the industry.

Hollywood executives have long been paranoid and insecure. Now they have cause to be. “The business model within film is broken,” says Amir Malin of Qualia Capital, a private-equity firm. Between 2007 and 2011, pre-tax profits of the five studios controlled by large media conglomerates (Disney, Universal, Paramount, Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros) fell by around 40%, says Benjamin Swinburne of Morgan Stanley. He reckons the studios account for less than 10% of their parent companies’ profits today, and by 2020 their share will decline to only around 5%. That is because the “big six” studios (the other is Sony Pictures, owned by the eponymous electronics maker) are growing more slowly than TV. In 2012 Time Warner grossed $12 billion from film, up 20% from 2002. That compares with a more than 84% rise in the company’s TV-network revenues during the period, to $14.2 billion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3435818.html

------------------

George Lucas, who was also on hand at USC for the opening of a new building at the School of Cinematic Arts, concurred with Spielberg's prognosis. "The pathway to get into theaters is really getting smaller and smaller."

But what would a post-"implosion" world look like?

"You're gonna have to pay $25 for the next 'Iron Man,'" Spielberg said, while, " you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see 'Lincoln.'"
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
lolcopter

A bit alarmist given the industry as a whole is still setting records year after year with attendance numbers

And you already pay like $25 to see iron man lol
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

once prices went over 10 i decided to take a break from seeing movies every weekend.........and sadly (for them) i dont miss it.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Not to mention $10 to $20 for a popcorn and soda. (Since the theatres depend on concessions in order to operate).
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
A bit alarmist given the industry as a whole is still setting records year after year with attendance numbers
And you already pay like $25 to see iron man lol
attendance numbers are flat. Their numbers are inlfated due to ticket price increases.

http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/3037b7...fca3abdf1b.pdf
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

George Lucas drives me crazy. Wanna know why RED TAILS almost didnt make it into the theaters? Because it was a complete piece of ****. HBO made movie on the same subject matter in the 90s that was better.

This feels like insulated rich people making prophecies.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
George Lucas drives me crazy. Wanna know why RED TAILS almost didnt make it into the theaters? Because it was a complete piece of ****. HBO made movie on the same subject matter in the 90s that was better.

This feels like insulated rich people making prophecies.
no doubt......
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Besides going to the drive in right near my house that I think is the last one open in Ohio I haven't went out to see a movie in 10 years or more.

And I just go to the drive in every so often for the nostalgia more then anything.

Going to see a movie in a theater to me as always seemed like a really crappy way to see a movie. I'll take my living room and the pause button any day.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I've seen I think 4 movies since my son was born 4+ years ago (Inception and some chick flick that my wife wanted to see?, Flight and 42 - 2 movies in the last 6 months, we're really stepping it up recently!), and I can't say I've missed it all that much. I remember going to the movies all the time before. Maybe it's just the Amazon Prime/Netflix mentality I have now. That I don't have to see it right away or in the theater - I'll catch it sometime and all the special effects (with no story!) is overrated.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
attendance numbers are flat. Their numbers are inlfated due to ticket price increases.

http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/3037b7...fca3abdf1b.pdf
Valid point. Raise the ticket prices = raising overall revenue

Either way, I think the industry is prepped for a stong summer (again) and I certainly don't see any implosions happening any time soon. Even during hard economic times, the movie industry has historically done better than most, as people look for avenues of escape, etc.

The movie going experience is one of the cherished shared social experiences in American society, and even despite recent tragedies I see this as holding strong for quite some time.

Might go see This Is The End this weekend.

(Brag: I work in the industry and one of my perks is a +1 season pass so I basically watch any movie I want for a whopping admission price of $0. Boom.

Obviously biased on this subject.)

Last edited by lolcopter; 06-13-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

It's all about value. Movies have been mostly a young peoples pass time. With the gouging and the ticket line and especially the concession line people are finding other things to do with their discretionary cash.

If that stop paying 25mil to the lead actor that would help a lot.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

They need to give themselves some more awards.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It's all about value. Movies have been mostly a young peoples pass time. With the gouging and the ticket line and especially the concession line people are finding other things to do with their discretionary cash.

If that stop paying 25mil to the lead actor that would help a lot.
And young people can usually dig up any movie they want to see online even if it just hit theaters ... Hell sometimes before.

I've seen so many movies before they come out where the industry gives screener copies to "important people" who dump it on Irc or torrents.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Friday night movies was something I did as a kid until I went to college. I get five dollar discount tickets from my credit union. Fair deal. Some days have free popcorn. The concessions cost the most. Nachos and a water is like $8.50. Under $15 bucks for a fun night out is fine by me. I have probably gone to 15 movies since the turn of the New Year which is more than the past six years combined.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I can wait 3-4 months for the $1.50 version at Redbox.

FYI, stay off my lawn
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I think the spoofs/parody trailers on Youtube are just as good as the movies.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

From my understanding of how the local theatres run their operations, they make absolutely no money on ticket sales because they have to pay soooo damn much money to show the films. So, at best, they break even on the cost to show the film and gross ticket sales.

This is why concessions are so much because this is how the theatres make profits. So, if you don't buy from the concessions, you aren't really helping the movie theatre make money.

It's a bad, bad, bad, and broke system when the retailers aren't making any money or profit off the actual product they are selling.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Movie sized box of M and Ms are a buck at grocery store. Four dollars at the movies. I know what to do.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Movie sized box of M and Ms are a buck at grocery store. Four dollars at the movies. I know what to do.
Point taken and many people do this. I'm just trying to explain why the theatres price the concessions the way they price them. Broke is broke.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
From my understanding of how the local theatres run their operations, they make absolutely no money on ticket sales because they have to pay soooo damn much money to show the films. So, at best, they break even on the cost to show the film and gross ticket sales.

This is why concessions are so much because this is how the theatres make profits. So, if you don't buy from the concessions, you aren't really helping the movie theatre make money.

It's a bad, bad, bad, and broke system when the retailers aren't making any money or profit off the actual product they are selling.

I see a market for good budget movies with talented but reasonably prices actors.

You don't need to blow up ten thousand cars to make a good movie.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

My home theater serves beer. And they pause the movie for piss breaks.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Yeah but the other patron of my home theater is terrible at following plot lines and has no problem talking during the movie.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I saw an 80 inch flat screen at Cosco for about 3 K. A home theater is getting affordable for more and more people.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah but the other patron of my home theater is terrible at following plot lines and has no problem talking during the movie.
That's what the mace is for.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think by "implosion" what they're talking about is what films will get made. There will be a **** ton of cheap, bad movies and a handful of big budget comic book movies.

Personally, I've stopped going to the movies. I have a 60" plasma with blu-ray and theater sound. I can wait for the vid to come out. The last movie I went to was Return of the King. There were people talking on their cell phones or texting (with their little glowing screens) through the whole film. People don't know how to act in public anymore. Plus, twenty bucks for popcorn and a coke? Adios.

Anyway, given the way tech is going, in ten years anybody will be able to make an epic film with CG actors on their laptop and share it online.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote