The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #26
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Call your bank and credit card companies, let them know you are going overseas so they won't cut off your card the first time you try and use it. I use BofA and it took about 5 minutes.

Turn off your cellphone cellular data. Even if you aren't actively using it, it will be pulling down from the interwebs and could end up charging you out of the ass.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

If you're a drinker like me, European beers in Europe will not give you as much of a hangover as American beers do in similar quantities. Not sure where you're going in der Vaterland, but keep an eye out for Berliner.

Stay away from Turks, Albanians, etc. unless it's to get yourself a döner kebab on the street.

Don't tip as they can find it offensive since servers already get paid a normal wage.

People also have no concept of personal space. It was nothing for people to bump the hell out of you at a bar.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
If you're a drinker like me, European beers in Europe will not give you as much of a hangover as American beers do in similar quantities. Not sure where you're going in der Vaterland, but keep an eye out for Berliner.

Stay away from Turks, Albanians, etc. unless it's to get yourself a döner kebab on the street.

Don't tip as they can find it offensive since servers already get paid a normal wage.

People also have no concept of personal space. It was nothing for people to bump the hell out of you at a bar.
ALL great tips. Please follow the first two tips, especially. Freakin' döners are legit.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Wallet in the front pocket or even a biker chain... It somebody "bumps"
into you or you are riding a very crowded train, be aware of your wallet.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Tipping isn't considered offensive, it's not done as standard like in the US but waiting staff will always appreciate it if you leave a tip for good service. However if the service is poor it's perfectly fine to leave nothing.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've had success with the "don't sleep on the plane" approach. It makes the 1st day over there tough but then I'm very ready for bed at the appropriate hour that 1st night and my body clock is then fully reset for the rest of the trip. I've also found that I can psychologically handle that first day of being tired right after landing quite well because of knowing that it's part of a master plan to reset my clock.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Start taking a regimen of echinacea and vitamin C three days before your flight. I truly think this is more important than sleeping or not sleeping on the flight. If you wind up with a cold on your second or third day in Germany, you can likely blame the flight. Being sick on an international trip blows.

Also - ATMs are everywhere and can usually be easily navigated to an English screen. Check your bank's charges on ATMs internationally. Last time I went, there were no extra charges from my bank and I would pay a couple bucks to the ATM, but it was usually the best current conversion rate around.

Last edited by Irish Stout; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #33
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
How to Whoop Jet Lag

1) If it's a night flight, don't sleep -- just pull an all nighter and watch movies or read books.

2) Get out in the sunlight after arrival, to re-adjust your body clock.

3) If #1 and #2 don't work (or you don't follow them), then take some melatonin an hour or two before when you want to sleep on night #2, and that should do the trick.

4) Ditto on all three points coming back to the states.....
This. On my flights to and from the Netherlands, I just put back coffee while every key sleeps. Once you get there, it's daylight... You're a little tired but not as much as you'd expect. And that night you get great sleep and your ready to take on the Germans.

Also.... German beer isn't really that great. You can get similar quality in the US.... Just not from Coors.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
VAT, Value Added Tax is already included, the price you see is the price you pay.

The dollar is getting its ass kicked though Durango. 1k Euro will cost over 1300 USD. Varies slightly day to day. Not enough to worry about though.

I still say sleep on the plane if you can. I drink heavily and take sleeping pills. The Heath Ledger method. Also better to fly non-stop, it's a long ass trip, though I am sure your already locked in.

When saying goodbye a casual 'Choose' will suffice.

Agree with Ray that if you land during the day not to nap or make it short (hard to do with jet lag, so I avoid the naps) and try to go to bed in the evening. First day makes or breaks your week. Take it easy, eat stroll, but dont venture too far. Brothels are more of a day 2 thing.

Mexican food here sucks. So does most Chinese. I would/do avoid the doner shops/stands, they are popular but also not so good for the tourist stomach. Awesome bakeries/cafe's though.

Great Italian Ice Cream places everywhere, cheap too.

Everything is closed on sundays (except some gas stations and restaurants).

Dont forget my Krispy Kreme.

Great tips, but what I meant was that the dollar is solid and can often be used to pay for items in many places around Europe and even Germany.

I have payed for things in dollars several times, once at a cafe in Berlin. The server didn't even blink. He didn't convert to the more expensive Euro either.

I really like Germany a lot. France, not so much. Italy is pickpocket central.

As many have said here Taco John, make arrangements to secure your money and credit cards and don't carry large amounts of cash.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Jet lag!

http://www.worldwinder.com/2011/12/2...ating-jet-lag/

Where in Germany are you headed? Bavarian countryside is one of the coolest places in Europe.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #36
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Germany was an awesome place to visit. Each town should have their own beer so take advantage of sampling it. There are castles and towns inside the big walls so visit those if you are into history. The rail is your friend and take it when all possible. Depending where you are in Germany, go to Czech/Prague as the dollar does much better there. Food isn't the best by international fare but if you like Pilsner beer, you can't go wrong.

Oh, pick me up a German version of "Struedel Peter" (Struwwelpeter). The best Nursery Rhymes to read to your young children.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Call your bank and credit card companies, let them know you are going overseas so they won't cut off your card the first time you try and use it. I use BofA and it took about 5 minutes.

Turn off your cellphone cellular data. Even if you aren't actively using it, it will be pulling down from the interwebs and could end up charging you out of the ass.
THIS!

I forgot about this part. Make sure you call your carrier and see what their international policy is. When we just went to Paris, I got 30 minutes and 50 text international text. They will also walk you through your phone so you don't get hit with data/roaming charges.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #38
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
After you land find a parch of grass and take off your shoes and walk around barefoot on the ground. This will keep you from suffering jet lag. I know it sounds silly but it works. It is called earthing. look it up.
Jesus Christ man. Next you'll have him chewing bark off of trees and smoking patchouli.

Damn hippies and your music.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #39
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Just for fun, wear a turban and pace up and down the isle talking to yourself with clinched fists.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Just for fun, wear a turban and pace up and down the isle talking to yourself with clinched fists.
He's already got the NSA monitoring him for his Ron Paul talk. You trying to land the man in Gitmo? I don't think Gitmo actually counts as international travel since it is technically American soil.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

If they don't understand your English then repeat what you said and speak much louder
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Most of what I would say has been said. I say screw the no sleeping on flights thing. Get on the flight and get a good sleep so in the morning when you land you are ready to go. Two things on that. 1- Have a few drinks to put you out faster on the flight. 2. Do Not eat a big breakfast, especially of you are tired. It will only drag you down.

Now for other important things.

1. Always take a pre-flight duece! Nothing worse than having to drop the kids off on the plane- even if you are in first class. Whats more is after you get your meal and are comfy and watching a movie you want to see- you will have to take a dump (if you didnt)....This sucks, because you have the tray on your lap, and (unless your in first or biz- you can not pause) so you miss out on your movie. Plus, its an airplane toilet- need I say more?

Always go out with an empty tank!

Next- bring some pop tarts or some kind of morning snack. You will be a little jet lagged, everyone always is, otherwise it would be a renown cure! So bring something quick and easy to eat in the morning when you get up, because likely all of the restaurants will still be closed and not open. Something that doesnt need to be prepared or refrigerated, etc...Beef jerkey- whatever. I like PB&J personally.

Have a backpack (or the like) as a carry on with a snack and change clothes- like basketball shorts and shirt- something comfy incase your bags dont make it etc. Nothing worse then being stuck in a suit or whatever your are in for a day or two without a comfy change up.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Ues the mitfarhen? not sure how its spelled. Its a service where you travel by just being put in with strangers in a car lol. Not great for single women probably but a great way to meet new people and travel cheap. Obviously you dont need the cheep but maybe one excursion using that service would be fun.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
1. Keep a pair of underwear and socks in your carry-on, even if all you have is a tiny bag - if **** happens you will be happy.

2. Bring a toothbrush, some mints, a mini tooth paste in your carry on, after a long flight you stink and getting freshened up helps big time.

3. When you fly to Europe it will be an overnight flight, get a window seat if you can so you don't get woken up by people who walk in the aisle or someone sitting next to you getting up.

4. Try to get at least 3 hours of shut eye on overnight flights, the time difference is 8 hours and you will land in the morning, so it will be a long damn day if you didn't get a snooze. On the way back you will fly during the day, so just watch movies, read books.

5. Definitely bring your own head-phones, make sure they are decent.

6. Bring earplugs - thank me later.

7. Don't drink the airport, but first thing when you get on the plane, have a beer, it will settle you down.

8. Make sure you eat in the airport or just before you get there - make it a full meal. I know they feed you on the plane but unless you are in 1st class it is not enough and it doesn't taste great - being hungry on a plane for 8 hours SUCKS.

9. You will see people wear long socks and short pants AND sandals - its a European thing and even we don't think it looks cool - DON'T do it.

10. A lot of things close early and most things are closed on Sundays, it is getting better, but still not great.

11. People will leave their kids and dogs outside, don't frown on it or mention it, people will think you are being weird.

12. Have a great time, see as much as you can and drink the beer - make sure you try a real Bavarian weissbier - in fact try several.
I agree except for the bolded. I get the Port early so I can spend an hour or so in the bar. I like to get on the plane liquored up, it makes the time fly and I don't notice any of the other annoying people on the plane.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

orange juice is great for masking morning breath
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #46
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Dont' forget!

When the German beer girl brings you a stein, it's customary to bury your face in her boobies and go "MBMBMBMBMBMB!"
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #47
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I've spent a few weeks in Germany and loved it.

I knew enough German to look like I was making an effort and that was appreciated.

Yes to the bakery suggestions, I'd find a local bakery in every little town I stayed in and would go there every morning to get some awesome grub.

Every evening we'd end up in some cozy biergarten to drink awesome beer and eat pretzels to soak up the alcohol.

I found the people to be very friendly and I always recognize when I'm a guest in someone's country and behave as a guest should.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 06-12-2013 at 12:49 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #48
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I found the people to be very friendly and I always recognize when I'm a guest in someone's country and behave as a guest should.
screw that.....this is how I roll in Germany

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
screw that.....this is how I roll in Germany

Spider would hit Audrey aka Dana Hall. She has been dead since 1996 but that wouldn't stop him. First Audrey (Dana Barron) in the original movie looks really good to this day.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

**** Taco is the winner of the Vacation Threads for the 2013 offseason.

He gets to go to Deutsche land and I get to drive to Missouri with the fambly, grapes of wrath style.

Guten fahrt meine freunde!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote