The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default International travel...

Headed out to Germany this week for a full week. Anybody got any travel tips for when travelling internationally? I've got the basic things covered - a power converter for my phone and laptop, Euros in my pocket, photo of my passport on my phone and on my tablet. I'm even going to be packing airplane shot bottles in a baggie to keep things smooth on the plane ride. Wondering if there are any killer tips that people might have...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Bose noise cancelling headphones are a must. I fly around the county for work and will not leave home without them.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Bacchus

Most everyone in Europe are in great shape. just remember its ok to be an arrogant, fat American. It is expected from us.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Cleo McDowell
underrated.

Have a few drinks each night you are there so you are not wide awake come bedtime.
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Everything you will ever need to know can be found in Joel Bauers how to pack video.

This is the same Joel Bauer who says your business card is crap.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Keep printed copies of your Passport and important contact numbers packed inside your check-in bags. That way if everything on your person gets lost on the way, at least you have a back up.

Pepto Bismol and/or Imodium AD.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Headed out to Germany this week for a full week. Anybody got any travel tips for when travelling internationally? I've got the basic things covered - a power converter for my phone and laptop, Euros in my pocket, photo of my passport on my phone and on my tablet. I'm even going to be packing airplane shot bottles in a baggie to keep things smooth on the plane ride. Wondering if there are any killer tips that people might have...
How to Whoop Jet Lag

1) If it's a night flight, don't sleep -- just pull an all nighter and watch movies or read books.

2) Get out in the sunlight after arrival, to re-adjust your body clock.

3) If #1 and #2 don't work (or you don't follow them), then take some melatonin an hour or two before when you want to sleep on night #2, and that should do the trick.

4) Ditto on all three points coming back to the states.....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
Keep printed copies of your Passport and important contact numbers packed inside your check-in bags. That way if everything on your person gets lost on the way, at least you have a back up.

Pepto Bismol and/or Imodium AD.
Totally agree on the printed copies of your documents in a separate bag -- along with an emergency $100 just in case someone steals your wallet or backpack (it happens, especially at airports).

Pepto Bismol & Imodium? He's going to Germany, not New Delhi.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
ol#7

Traveling to Europe the Jet lag is killer. Dont plan too much your first day. Even if you sleep on the plane, it will mess you up. Also its light here in Germany til almost 10 O'clock this time of year. Going the other way though, piece of cake.

Food is awesome, people drive insanely here, stay out of the fast lane except to pass (assuming your renting a car). If not, trams/cabs/trains are abundant.

Bring good walking shoes.

Drink lots of water. A/C is sparse and while it has been a ****ty spring, it is warming up and alot more humid than you would be used to in Colorado. Also, ask for Still Wasser if you dont want bubbles/mineral water. Some Still Waters still have some bubbles though...

Hit the bakeries up first thing, by 10am their selection is thin.

Most Germans speak passable English, they usually say, yeah, a little bit, then can hold an entire conversation.

Last, bring me a box of Krispy Kreme.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Oh I wish I could got back to Germany. Think you can fit me in your carry-on?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

After you land find a parch of grass and take off your shoes and walk around barefoot on the ground. This will keep you from suffering jet lag. I know it sounds silly but it works. It is called earthing. look it up.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Germany is easily my favorite European country. I've visited many times as both a businessman and a tourist and I can swear to you, you can go almost anywhere safely if you mind your P's & Q's. There are criminals anywhere you go, and boy, they looove Americans because they tend to be more easy going and off-guard. A little caution goes a long way.

Berlin is wonderful these days. There are so many family, cozy retaurants, and Bavaria is similar to Colorado in many ways; extraordinary natural beauty and friendly people.

The thing I do every time while visiting Germany, or just about any other European Continent country is, ride the trains. They have perfected train travel to an art form in much of Europe and you can see the countryside. It's a vacation in itself. Food cars, even entertainment cars, Wifi, you name it. Flying around ruins the experience.

Enjoy. The dollar is strong and Americans seem (to me anyway) more welcome than ever.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

International flight, booze should be free.

Make an effort to speak the language, it goes a long way.

As Durango said, be cautious of your personal items.

Yelp and trip advisor are great apps to suggest local dining.

If you land early in the AM, stay up as long as you can. Then take a quick nap in the afternoon (2 or 3 hours) and then stay up until 10-12 and sleep. It will help reset your jet lag. Don't sleep on the plane.

Walk everywhere you can. It'll give you the real feel of the city/country (mobile GPS is key).
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #14
ol#7

VAT, Value Added Tax is already included, the price you see is the price you pay.

The dollar is getting its ass kicked though Durango. 1k Euro will cost over 1300 USD. Varies slightly day to day. Not enough to worry about though.

I still say sleep on the plane if you can. I drink heavily and take sleeping pills. The Heath Ledger method. Also better to fly non-stop, it's a long ass trip, though I am sure your already locked in.

When saying goodbye a casual 'Choose' will suffice.

Agree with Ray that if you land during the day not to nap or make it short (hard to do with jet lag, so I avoid the naps) and try to go to bed in the evening. First day makes or breaks your week. Take it easy, eat stroll, but dont venture too far. Brothels are more of a day 2 thing.

Mexican food here sucks. So does most Chinese. I would/do avoid the doner shops/stands, they are popular but also not so good for the tourist stomach. Awesome bakeries/cafe's though.

Great Italian Ice Cream places everywhere, cheap too.

Everything is closed on sundays (except some gas stations and restaurants).

Dont forget my Krispy Kreme.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

You go to the Germany for a week the one week I'm back in the states. I'm in the process of selling all my **** for the permanent move to Berlin. If you're headed to Berlin let me know and Ill give you some tips (family friendly and very family unfriendly). Also if you're im Berlin early next week I'd love to shoot the **** and talk broncos.

Basic tips if you don't want to be identified as an American

Don't wear shorts and tennis shoes
Don't wear high white socks with shorts
Don't wear khakis
Dont go on a Segway tour

That's it. But let me know about Berlin as I was a tourist, now I'm a local and my best friend tour guided there for six months.

Last edited by Chris; 06-12-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You'll be tempted to do the "Sieg Heil!" salute, but they frown on that now.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You'll be tempted to do the "Sieg Heil!" salute, but they frown on that now.
As a stupid military brat living in Germany I was dared to do it as I got off our school bus (we lived off base). I can attest that this is indeed frowned upon.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Don't shave your legs.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Don't wear high white socks with shorts
Well, one should never do this. So it pretty much goes without saying. Along with jorts and Crocs.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

1. Keep a pair of underwear and socks in your carry-on, even if all you have is a tiny bag - if **** happens you will be happy.

2. Bring a toothbrush, some mints, a mini tooth paste in your carry on, after a long flight you stink and getting freshened up helps big time.

3. When you fly to Europe it will be an overnight flight, get a window seat if you can so you don't get woken up by people who walk in the aisle or someone sitting next to you getting up.

4. Try to get at least 3 hours of shut eye on overnight flights, the time difference is 8 hours and you will land in the morning, so it will be a long damn day if you didn't get a snooze. On the way back you will fly during the day, so just watch movies, read books.

5. Definitely bring your own head-phones, make sure they are decent.

6. Bring earplugs - thank me later.

7. Don't drink the airport, but first thing when you get on the plane, have a beer, it will settle you down.

8. Make sure you eat in the airport or just before you get there - make it a full meal. I know they feed you on the plane but unless you are in 1st class it is not enough and it doesn't taste great - being hungry on a plane for 8 hours SUCKS.

9. You will see people wear long socks and short pants AND sandals - its a European thing and even we don't think it looks cool - DON'T do it.

10. A lot of things close early and most things are closed on Sundays, it is getting better, but still not great.

11. People will leave their kids and dogs outside, don't frown on it or mention it, people will think you are being weird.

12. Have a great time, see as much as you can and drink the beer - make sure you try a real Bavarian weissbier - in fact try several.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

My travels have been to Latin America instead of Europe. However, instead of having a pocket full of the local currency, take your debit/credit card. It's good to have some local currency. However, the banks offer better exchange rates than anyone else. Paying for stuff is as uncomplicated as using a credit/debit card at the gas station in the states.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Bucket list stuff!

Every time I travel internationally, I put a big emphasis on attacking bucket list stuff and doing things I'd never do at home.

Last trip was Grenada last summer and I did:

Fencing (with the complete outfits)

Learned to windsurf

Jumped off a waterfall in the rainforest
etc.

Where in Germany are you going? Lots of really unique opportunities to capitalize on in your after hours free time.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo McDowell View Post
Have a few drinks each night you are there so you are not wide awake come bedtime.
haha, or you could take Melatonin. You can buy a bottle in the vitamin isle and just a small amount will do you. When I'm overseas I drop one of these about 30 min before bedtime and 20 min later I'm struggling to keep my eyes open.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

These tips all are great - one thing is that I never carried anything of value in my pockets. A couple times I've traveled in Europe pickpockets have attempted to take stuff off of me at popular tourist spots. Usually these people look for obvious tourist behavior - but no matter how you try to blend in sometimes it doesn't work. I'm not Caucasian - so that didn't help me either.

I always wore one of those lame looking wearable travel wallets that goes around your neck and under your shirt - I remember getting mobbed by a group of teenagers in Paris all pushing around me in the subway - but without anything in my pockets I was ok. My mother in law was pickpocketed once and it totally ruins a day or two of a trip - she lost 50 euro. However in the security office of the museum when we reported the theft there was another poor lady who had gotten 600 euro lifted off of her!
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote