The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default OT - Prepping the Family Truckster for a road trip

Anyone have any tips for things to do or see in Missouri?

My daughter loves the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and asked to go see her house/museum in Mansfield MO.

Living the Chicago area we are going to go down I-55 to Springfield IL and check out Lincoln's house and grave then on through St. Louis and then on to Mansfield. Out side of the arch not sure what to see in St. Louis. Thought about going on a side trip to Hannibal MO and the Mark Twain stuff also.

Wondering if anyone knows of some must see tourist destination in the heart of Mullet and Camaro country?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

one word: Branson. You can thank me later.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
one word: Branson. You can thank me later.
F no!

I would rather drive a couple hundred more miles west and go to the Kansas Cosomsphere.

Not looking forward to being in a car with my neck and back issues but shouldn't be too bad and will make for a good test run to Indy for the Bronco Colts game.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Only thing I remember from Missouri, I saw a cattle truck full of giant hogs. Scared the **** out of me. I had stopped at a truck stop, passing through from Denver to Montreal, and was walking by this truck in the dark when one of the damn hogs snorted at me. I always thought pigs were like Arnold in Green Acres. These things were as big as a car.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
F no!

I would rather drive a couple hundred more miles west and go to the Kansas Cosomsphere.

Not looking forward to being in a car with my neck and back issues but shouldn't be too bad and will make for a good test run to Indy for the Bronco Colts game.
I'd stick with St. Louis. You go west from there and there's nada. Maybe do something along the Mississippi? Riverboats, gambling, perhaps a peep show for the kids?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Bronco Yoda

you really need to ask? http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2138

Quote:
Anyone have any tips for things to do or see in Missouri?

My daughter loves the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and asked to go see her house/museum in Mansfield MO.

Living the Chicago area we are going to go down I-55 to Springfield IL and check out Lincoln's house and grave then on through St. Louis and then on to Mansfield. Out side of the arch not sure what to see in St. Louis. Thought about going on a side trip to Hannibal MO and the Mark Twain stuff also.

Wondering if anyone knows of some must see tourist destination in the heart of Mullet and Camaro country?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Tim

The big lakes around there like Truman and ozarks are what I always do when I go out that way to visit family.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Bronco Yoda

Then follow it up with this when it finally hits you that you willingly went to Missouri on vacation.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2142
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Then follow it up with this when it finally hits you that you willingly went to Missouri on vacation.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2142
I know, of all the states in the USA Missouri is not one of my favorites but it is amazing what your willing to do for your kids.

The last time we drove to Denver we had some fun stopping at sites along the way, there was a SAC museum I got to see a full sized SR-71. We enjoy and seek out the small local history museums in our area and I have grown to love them, even to the extent of being a board member and docent at one of them.

The more I think about it the more I want to try to go to Hannibal so it is the last time I have to go to MO, hit them all at once.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
BroncoBeavis

If you're into Lincoln era Springfield and have time to burn you could drive to New Salem. From what I remember its kind of a replica of where Abe lived in his younger days.

Or if you like architecture there's a cool Frank Lloyd Wright house/museum downtown. Don't remember the name. Or way on the other end of MO, if you end up anywhere near KC skip the Cinderblock Camaro Museum and go to Liberty memorial and the WWI museum underneath it. Easily the best thing to see in KC for a history guy. And probably for anyone in general (without a lean-to CamaroPort attached to their single-wide. )
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
If you're into Lincoln era Springfield and have time to burn you could drive to New Salem. From what I remember its kind of a replica of where Abe lived in his younger days.

Or if you like architecture there's a cool Frank Lloyd Wright house/museum downtown. Don't remember the name. Or way on the other end of MO, if you end up anywhere near KC skip the Cinderblock Camaro Museum and go to Liberty memorial and the WWI museum underneath it. Easily the best thing to see in KC for a history guy. And probably for anyone in general (without a lean-to CamaroPort attached to their single-wide. )
I have been to the town on a Jr High class trip, I think we are going to take a pass on that this time as we have a couple other living farms/settlements in our area that we go to regularly.

I will have to look up the Frank Lloyd Wright house thing, there is one in Geneva IL I like to take the kids to in the summer, it has a kick ass Japanese garden and it is attached to a forest preserve on the Fox River that is fun to walk around.

I don't think we will make it as far west as kFc but that WWI museum sounds cool, we have a great one a couple miles from us if your ever up in this area, it is called Cantigny, we go there at least once a year if not more for car shows or concerts in the park. Cantigny has these great Tanks on the grounds and their First Division Museum is as good as anything in Downtown Chicago.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I'm thinking about biking the Katy trail in Missouri. Anyone ever do that and if so any do/don't recommendations?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

The original Bass Pro store in Springfield is worth the trip.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
The original Bass Pro store in Springfield is worth the trip.
IL or MO? My brother-in-law is a big fisherman and that is all he talks about. I think he worked at one selling boats for a year, I am not sure he was good enough at it, that or the pay sucked.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

HWGP - How Would Gene Prepare?
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
IL or MO? My brother-in-law is a big fisherman and that is all he talks about. I think he worked at one selling boats for a year, I am not sure he was good enough at it, that or the pay sucked.
Mo. I could spend a couple of days there it's so awesome. There are Bass Pro shops all over the place, but the original is incredible and 5-6x bigger than any other store I've seen.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
HWGP - How Would Gene Prepare?
Tiger Teams, RFP's, and Project plans!

Consider this my RFP/RFI.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Mo. I could spend a couple of days there it's so awesome. There are Bass Pro shops all over the place, but the original is incredible and 5-6x bigger than any other store I've seen.
I think we need to go near there to get to Mansfiled.

See this is the kind of info you only get on the OM! Glad I asked!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Show Me ......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote