The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #276
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Wish these systems would have been slimmer and not so portly.
Fat chicks need lovin too.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #277
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Used games
$100 cheaper (the initial system cost was the primary reason I went with 360 over PS3)
Pay for online = same as on my 360 right now.

I'm pretty much sold on PS4 for those reasons alone.

I'm not married to any franchises as I've stated and the ones I have played the entire series on are cross-platform, so that's a done deal for me.

I have to agree Xbone really screwed the pooch on this. I don't watch ANY live TV aside from football. I stream everything and DVR what I don't stream. And when do I EVER need to switch rapidly between a game, a show and a movie? At best that's a convenience.

There was an article on my Pulse gaming feed that pointed out that Kinect's popularity is waning. Now you make a less popular add-on mandatory. Really Microsoft put all their eggs in the kinnect and trying to make the Xbone a type of media hub for general audiences. I'm not going to say it won't work, but with smart TV's coming out and cable and dish companies marketing their technology differently, where is the value added for the consumer? I'm going to, at best, have a more complicated process of selling buying or trading my used games. At worst, I'm going to pay more than I normally would. I have to pay for a kinnect that I don't own or want now. And it will cost me $100 more than it's closest rival.

I think people complaining about the kinnect spying are stupid. I don't care about that. Really it comes down to a Xbox that does a lot of things I won't use, will cost me more to buy games for, and all for $100 more than a PS4.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #278
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Used games
$100 cheaper (the initial system cost was the primary reason I went with 360 over PS3)
Pay for online = same as on my 360 right now.

I'm pretty much sold on PS4 for those reasons alone.

I'm not married to any franchises as I've stated and the ones I have played the entire series on are cross-platform, so that's a done deal for me.

I have to agree Xbone really screwed the pooch on this. I don't watch ANY live TV aside from football. I stream everything and DVR what I don't stream. And when do I EVER need to switch rapidly between a game, a show and a movie? At best that's a convenience.

There was an article on my Pulse gaming feed that pointed out that Kinect's popularity is waning. Now you make a less popular add-on mandatory. Really Microsoft put all their eggs in the kinnect and trying to make the Xbone a type of media hub for general audiences. I'm not going to say it won't work, but with smart TV's coming out and cable and dish companies marketing their technology differently, where is the value added for the consumer? I'm going to, at best, have a more complicated process of selling buying or trading my used games. At worst, I'm going to pay more than I normally would. I have to pay for a kinnect that I don't own or want now. And it will cost me $100 more than it's closest rival.

I think people complaining about the kinnect spying are stupid. I don't care about that. Really it comes down to a Xbox that does a lot of things I won't use, will cost me more to buy games for, and all for $100 more than a PS4.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Kinect 2 being something revolutionary is just about the only thing that could be considered a wildcard at this point. And that's a leap. My Kinect is pretty much totally unused. It's hard to imagine what the next gen would bring that would draw me in more. I mean a little part of its problem was the execution was poor. But mostly I'm just not much into the whole concept.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #279
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Wish these systems would have been slimmer and not so portly.
I am sure they will get slimmer as time goes on. They always get slimmer at least 2 years after the launch date.

I have been surprised at Microsoft's screw ups lately. The Windows 8 has bombed, and now the Xbone is going to be a complete failure. They need some new leadership to run that company, otherwise Microsoft won't be the giant it is anymore.

Microsoft's stock has dipped 37 cents at the moment. Meanwhile, Sony's stock has gone up 40 cents.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #280
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
recycled? like god of war? battlefield? COD?Ratchet and clank?killzone?can you name one game that PS4s will have that is not recycled as well?At least nintendo is innovative, they don't just pull the 'prettier graphics' crap each generation.'Next gen' does not only mean beefier hardware either.
Knack, a new action platformer by Mark Cerny and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. If you don't know who Mark Cerny is google him, his resume is impeccable. A few highlights: made Marble Madness when he was 18, lead designer for Sonic 2 on the Genesis, was producer or designer (frequently both) on the first entries in the following franchises: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter. He's basically been at the core of every good action platformer franchise not made by Nintendo since he entered the industry.

The Order 1886 is also a very interesting title from Ready at Dawn (made the PSP God of War games) with technical assistance from Sony Santa Monica. It's an action game set in an alternate steam-punk styled London in 1886 where the industrial revolution occurred not for productivity gains but to fight a centuries old war against what appears to be werewolves and possibly other creatures of the night.

DriveClub is Sony's launch racing game and looks to have a Metropolis Street Racer/Project Gotham Racing/Blur feel to it, made by Evolution Studios who made the Motorstorm franchise on PS3, and with a lot of staff from Bizarre Creations (the guys who made MSR, PGR, and Blur) and Sony Liverpool/Psygnosis people (Wipeout franchise).

Those are just the retail releases. The biggest innovation will come in Sony's indie titles, many of which were shown off yesterday as well. The guys who made Bastion have a new game called Transistor coming to PS4. Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, is making his next game The Witness for PS4 as well (both are console exclusives, FYI). This is because Sony is actually allowing indie designers to self publish on the PS4's marketplace.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #281
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Elder Scrolls for PS4 (online) -- excited for it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #282
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Kinect 2 being something revolutionary is just about the only thing that could be considered a wildcard at this point. And that's a leap. My Kinect is pretty much totally unused. It's hard to imagine what the next gen would bring that would draw me in more. I mean a little part of its problem was the execution was poor. But mostly I'm just not much into the whole concept.
This is what makes their E3 showing so disappointing. If Kinect 2 is that revolutionary why didn't you demo a single new meaningful use for it?

I have the same problem with the Wii U. Nintendo wants us to pay $300 for a system that is technologically much closer to PS3 and X360 and the Xbox One, let alone the PS4, and all because of the touchscreen controller. Ok, why? If I want to play a game in bed I'll fire up the DS, Vita, smartphone, or tablet (or the PS3 hooked up to my LCD in the bedroom). The DS had dual screens and made it work with revolutionary new game play styles. The Wii worked because even though motion controls were kinda janky Nintendo still made them feel new and fresh. They haven't shown a single good use for the second screen other than remote play, and that alone doesn't sell a $300 console.

This has been Sony's strategy all along though, and their messaging backs it up. They went with all the frills, make consumers pay for new tech (Blu-Ray), etc. last generation and damn the costs. It bit them square in the ass. So now they've realized it's all about a powerful system focused on what people are buying it for (games) at a competitive MSRP (only $100 more than the far weaker Wii U, $100 less than the weaker Xbox One), and letting developers sell the system for you. If 90% of games are multi-plat people are going to buy the cheaper system. That's the PS4, hands down.

Sony's pivot is the best I've seen anyone make following a major stumble in the console market. They've trimmed the fat and refocused back on message without missing a step since the first preview. It might not pay off for them because Microsoft is going to own the airwaves this fall with a massive marketing push, but I sure hope it does. A company who is getting back to "service our customers first and the profits will follow" should be rewarded.

Last edited by Drek; 06-11-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #283
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Elder Scrolls for PS4 (online) -- excited for it.
Is it going to interact with the PC version, or is it a Sony world?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #284
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That will probably be up to Bethesda. Sony hasn't historically walled off MMOs from the PC. Final Fantasy XI for example was the same servers for both I believe.

ESO will likely come to Xbox One as well, that is where Bethesda's biggest console fanbase is so I can't imagine they'll ignore it. Microsoft isn't nearly as friendly with the cross platform interactivity though, so that might make a roadblock for them. I know other companies have had issues with MS over that in the past.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #285
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Pretty sure it will just interact with the Sony world, considering that the PC versions of other Elder Scrolls games can have immense modding that usually doesn't happen on the console version. Can't be too sure though, haven't really seen anything about that. Guess only time will tell.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #286
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
This is what makes their E3 showing so disappointing. If Kinect 2 is that revolutionary why didn't you demo a single new meaningful use for it?

I have the same problem with the Wii U. Nintendo wants us to pay $300 for a system that is technologically much closer to PS3 and X360 and the Xbox One, let alone the PS4, and all because of the touchscreen controller. Ok, why? If I want to play a game in bed I'll fire up the DS, Vita, smartphone, or tablet (or the PS3 hooked up to my LCD in the bedroom). The DS had dual screens and made it work with revolutionary new game play styles. The Wii worked because even though motion controls were kinda janky Nintendo still made them feel new and fresh. They haven't shown a single good use for the second screen other than remote play, and that alone doesn't sell a $300 console.

This has been Sony's strategy all along though, and their messaging backs it up. They went with all the frills, make consumers pay for new tech (Blu-Ray), etc. last generation and damn the costs. It bit them square in the ass. So now they've realized it's all about a powerful system focused on what people are buying it for (games) at a competitive MSRP (only $100 more than the far weaker Wii U, $100 less than the weaker Xbox One), and letting developers sell the system for you. If 90% of games are multi-plat people are going to buy the cheaper system. That's the PS4, hands down.

Sony's pivot is the best I've seen anyone make following a major stumble in the console generation. They've trimmed the fat and refocused back on message without missing a step since the first preview. It might not pay off for them because Microsoft is going to own the airwaves this fall with a massive marketing push, but I sure hope it does. A company who is getting back to "service our customers first and the profits will follow" should be rewarded.
I agree with you. But I'll probably just beef up my PC a little and wait on the sidelines to see if anything emerges that's a must have.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #287
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Pretty sure it will just interact with the Sony world, considering that the PC versions of other Elder Scrolls games can have immense modding that usually doesn't happen on the console version. Can't be too sure though, haven't really seen anything about that. Guess only time will tell.
Modding is awesome for the ES series. No doubt. But I don't see any way that could work on ESO.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #288
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you. But I'll probably just beef up my PC a little and wait on the sidelines to see if anything emerges that's a must have.
Its always the safest play. The introductory cost on PC might be high, but if you get a nice mobo and run dual GPUs just a step shy of the latest and greatest you won't get beat up too badly on price. Then you play everything at settings console games can't mimic, most games has pre-order sales in the $40 range, and most new releases are $50. If you play a lot of games you make the money back after a few years, just as long as you buy beefy future proofed mobos and power supplies that can make it through a few GPU and CPU upgrades.

I'll probably day one a PS4. The new controller looks pretty stellar and I'm hopeful that Sony's new pro-indie/small studio stance will lead to bluetooth drivers for it hitting PC early. That and my home theater PC is long enough in the tooth now to need a full replacement, and the PS4 is a far cheaper entry point while I wait for it to subsidize GDDR5 pricing, resulting in stupid graphics card ram counts.

BTW, thats an interesting aside PC gamers have to look forward to. Sony rolling with 8GB of GDDR5 is going to drive the 512MB modules down in price VERY rapidly. When that happens we're likely to see ATi and Nvidia start including more and more on their PC cards without major price hits. We might see 6GB GDDR5 reasonably priced consumer cards by this time next year.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #289
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Just pre-ordered a PS4. Waiting to see if the XBoxOne works some of these issues out... not loving it so far (and I really enjoy the Kinect).

If PC games would start to support gamepads more consistently, I might be interested. I play on a TV, so a mouse/keyboard setup doesn't work very well.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #290
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Just pre-ordered a PS4. Waiting to see if the XBoxOne works some of these issues out... not loving it so far (and I really enjoy the Kinect).

If PC games would start to support gamepads more consistently, I might be interested. I play on a TV, so a mouse/keyboard setup doesn't work very well.
The Xbox 360 controller has very good compatibility with most multi-platform titles (those released on PS360 as well as PC). Steam even has Big Picture Mode and the ability to sort by what is rated to have controller support (partial or full, where partially typically means a bit of menu navigation for some settings working best with mouse). Xpadder is a free app that will let you bridge the gap on games that don't support it as well by the way, though it is something of a chore to get set up well.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #291
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Don't confuse ESO with a game like skyrim or oblivion. ESO is an MMO, with the traditional elder scrolls are single player games.

It would be a kiss of death for an MMO to segragate player based by system. The whole point is to have a populated world to interact with other players.

FFXIV:ARR for example, will be availabe on PC, PS3 and PS4. Actually, SE did a lot to help Sony slam dunk E3 this year.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #292
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

But...but... my achievements!
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #293
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Microsoft is going to own the airwaves this fall with a massive marketing push, but I sure hope it does. A company who is getting back to "service our customers first and the profits will follow" should be rewarded.
As I said in an earlier post, Sony has been through this with another competitor before. SEGA owned the airwaves in the 90s with Genesis and put a ton of money into ads to sell their SEGA Saturn, they even moved up the launch date to try and beat the playstation1. The Saturn add-ons were a non-factor and it was a epic cluster**** from the get go. Ads won't matter since PS4 is cheaper than Xbone.

Microsoft should be worried, because the Saturn single handidly destroyed SEGA, even when SEGA followed up with a great console in "Dreamcast" they couldn't recover from the Saturn **** up. SEGA's reputation and brand was destroyed and thus they got crushed by Sony.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #294
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
BTW, thats an interesting aside PC gamers have to look forward to. Sony rolling with 8GB of GDDR5 is going to drive the 512MB modules down in price VERY rapidly. When that happens we're likely to see ATi and Nvidia start including more and more on their PC cards without major price hits. We might see 6GB GDDR5 reasonably priced consumer cards by this time next year.
I think 6 is probably overkill to dedicate just to a GPU. Unless maybe you're talking Titan or 7990 extreme-level cards. That 8gig is also total shared system ram in a PS4. A decent gaming rig is going to have at least that just in system memory. But in the Sub-$300 card segment, that ram money would be better spent on increasing core count.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #295
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think 6 is probably overkill to dedicate just to a GPU. Unless maybe you're talking Titan or 7990 extreme-level cards. That 8gig is also total shared system ram in a PS4. A decent gaming rig is going to have at least that just in system memory. But in the Sub-$300 card segment, that ram money would be better spent on increasing core count.
Sure, but in about a year we'll probably be looking at something in the Titan/7990 core count as a $300 card, so then you'll want the GDDR5, and system memory won't be an adequate replacement due to lower bandwidth.

Regardless of the core count though, providing more GDDR5 for less cost will come as a result. Some will use that to add more ram, some will use the cost, heat, and energy savings to push the silicon further. No matter what it will subsidize the ramp up on a new fab process for a key graphics card component.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #296
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Xbox 360 controller has very good compatibility with most multi-platform titles (those released on PS360 as well as PC). Steam even has Big Picture Mode and the ability to sort by what is rated to have controller support (partial or full, where partially typically means a bit of menu navigation for some settings working best with mouse). Xpadder is a free app that will let you bridge the gap on games that don't support it as well by the way, though it is something of a chore to get set up well.
Ya... Xpadder works'ish, but it's just not the same. I don't have time to fiddle with that stuff to make it work. Games that aren't designed for gamepads (IE: don't have a console version) usually are pretty tough even with Xpadder. I tried Planetside 2 last night, gave up after a few minutes.

I'm really hoping Steambox changes this and forces PC games to consider that people are playing their games outside of a traditional PC setup.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #297
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Again, its horribly optimized. You'd be better off playing it in any other format (I believe it's one of the select BC Xbox games with the Xbox 360 for example).

There will probably be a lot of that. Most 3rd party games are multiplatform. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bungie's new game Destiny, MGSV, AC: Black Flag, etc. are all multi. The only exclusives a company really gets now is what they pay for themselves. Microsoft had very little to show in that regard while Sony has a very strong first party division that have several major games lined up for launch.
The only game I play anymore is CivIII (Yes, Civs IV and V are that bad )
My three sons are much more into gaming. For them, the whole experience seems to be built around hanging out with friends, exchanging games, going to each others' houses for game nights and playing each other on the net. If MS is trying to take that away, they're cutting their own throats in the marketplace, IMO.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #298
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Sure, but in about a year we'll probably be looking at something in the Titan/7990 core count as a $300 card, so then you'll want the GDDR5, and system memory won't be an adequate replacement due to lower bandwidth.

Regardless of the core count though, providing more GDDR5 for less cost will come as a result. Some will use that to add more ram, some will use the cost, heat, and energy savings to push the silicon further. No matter what it will subsidize the ramp up on a new fab process for a key graphics card component.
English, mofo. Do you speak it!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #299
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Ya... Xpadder works'ish, but it's just not the same. I don't have time to fiddle with that stuff to make it work. Games that aren't designed for gamepads (IE: don't have a console version) usually are pretty tough even with Xpadder. I tried Planetside 2 last night, gave up after a few minutes.

I'm really hoping Steambox changes this and forces PC games to consider that people are playing their games outside of a traditional PC setup.
You're in luck then. The lead on Planetside 2 has already said it's coming to PS4, likely early on (some speculate at launch). They've been working hard on the port and will be using the multi-core engine they're developing for it to patch in superior multi-core support for the PC side Planetside 2 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The only game I play anymore is CivIII (Yes, Civs IV and V are that bad )
My three sons are much more into gaming. For them, the whole experience seems to be built around hanging out with friends, exchanging games, going to each others' houses for game nights and playing each other on the net. If MS is trying to take that away, they're cutting their own throats in the marketplace, IMO.
I'd agree. They built their system on the social nature of games and now are saying that in order to play socially with your friends you need to jump through all these hoops with having your profile on other people's systems, having a system limit attached to profiles, only being able to lend a game once, etc. etc.. It honestly misses the entire reason the Xbox 360 took off in the first place.

Also, why the hate on Civ IV? I get Not liking Civ V, it felt very watered down to me, but Civ IV with all the expansions is very good, and if you add the Legends of Revolution mod it gets pretty top tier if you ask me. I like III (not as much as Alpha Centauri, but it's still really good) but I now prefer IV.

That's Civ though. Everyone loves the first Civ game they pass 200 hours of play time in the most.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #300
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The lead on Planetside 2 has already said it's coming to PS4, likely early on (some speculate at launch). They've been working hard on the port and will be using the multi-core engine they're developing for it to patch in superior multi-core support for the PC side Planetside 2 engine.
That's it for me then. I'm all in on the PS4!
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote