The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #251
extralife
Ring of Famer

they're pushing the kinect in order to sell their hand-wavey screen-talky TV-and-bull**** interface, which is the system's entire focus.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #252
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm not so sure it's a more pricey machine when you factor in the Kinect. That thing can't be cheap to manufacture if its as sensitive and precise as they want us to believe. Of course they could've not been dip****s and simply not included something most people don't really care about. The Kinect had novelty going for it when it first came out but that's wearing off and people are starting to realize the games for it mostly suck. What's really weird is the insistence on including Kinect with every Xbox and the near complete lack of new Kinect games that have been shown so far.

I wondered the same thing today when I was watching the microsoft press conference. Every Xboxone has a kinect...but did nothing to show it off. And if that is going to be the case, then I prefer not to send my biometric data to microsoft just for the hell of it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #253
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Puppeteer looks decent. Rain looks try-hard. Flow was a PC game before a PS3 game, and I've at least played Flower on a friend's system. No interest in anything else you mentioned.
So what you are saying is that your tastes are every bit as narrow as Johnny Dudebro's but from the opposite end of the spectrum, and yet your whole point here started with someone making a cracking about playing Mario.

One of those pot meet kettle situations I guess.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #254
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
So what you are saying is that your tastes are every bit as narrow as Johnny Dudebro's but from the opposite end of the spectrum, and yet your whole point here started with someone making a cracking about playing Mario.

I dont get the negativity people have towards consoles or pc's. The point is to play games. Does it matter how?

Sony has an impressive lineup of games, which they look to be carrying over to PS4. Microsoft has some sweet looking titles as well. Gamers should be excited by it.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #255
extralife
Ring of Famer

not wanting to play Johnny Dudebro's games does not make me narrow. his games do not garner any inherent privilege based solely on their ubiquity. I wasn't aware that I was required to be interested in those and/or Little Big Planet or Naughty Dog in order to keep my Real Gamer card. I am not generally interested in what the industry branded as "AAA" games in an attempt to prefigure their critical reception. considering they tend to collectively hit a single note, it is quite possible to sit out the 60-bucks-and-trade-it-in market entirely and still play a wide diversity of video games.

and I never said anything about narrow tastes anyway. lampooning a game for being "kiddy" is about being stupid, not about being selective.

Last edited by extralife; 06-10-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #256
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I wondered the same thing today when I was watching the microsoft press conference. Every Xboxone has a kinect...but did nothing to show it off. And if that is going to be the case, then I prefer not to send my biometric data to microsoft just for the hell of it.

They did semi-show it off when they were talking to it and telling it to switch game play (mid-game) or telling it to record gameplay. That's all done via kinect.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #257
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
They did semi-show it off when they were talking to it and telling it to switch game play (mid-game) or telling it to record gameplay. That's all done via kinect.

Ah. I stand corrected. But if it says something back like "I can't do that, Dave" I am going to throw the thing out the window.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #258
Agamemnon

Quote:

I'd just like to point out I don't have a problem with someone loving the **** out of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. I just reserve the right to laugh at them.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #259
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
the volume certainly appears to be there, but I don't have a PS3 and there has never been a point where I've said to myself "man, it sucks that I don't have a PS3."
WAIT

I totally forgot Demon's Souls. That needs to be corrected. I definitely bought that game and then borrowed my brother's PS3 to play it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #260
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Heh. Consoles...

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #261
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
lol This is frickin' brilliant!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #262
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Microsoft needs to look back at what SEGA did in the mid-90s and then look in the mirror. SEGA was a great company as it led the way in console innovation back then. I was a big fan of the SEGA Genesis until they made that crap console "SATURN" and launched it early to beat Sony to the punch. Sony came along and destroyed them with the PS1 regardless of SEGA's launch date.

Sony came at the SEGA Saturn with a eerily similar price point. The PS1 was a 100 bucks cheaper than the Saturn. Needless to say, it was a "Saturn" sized disaster for SEGA and they never recovered from it.

Sony is attacking Microsoft in much the same way. When Microsoft introduced their Xbone and told us all about the restrictions Microsoft is imposing on the consumers. Sony could have easily released information about how their product doesn't require a check in every 24 hours or how they allow used games etc right away. Sony kept their plans under wraps and unveiled it to at their conference in front of a large audience. It was perfect timing and great PR for Sony, and it embarrassed Microsoft.

Last edited by 24champ; 06-10-2013 at 11:47 PM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #263
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The new xbox is just set up to generate ads and usher in a new era of advertising. The whole tv and kinect thing is absurd, almost to the point that no one ever has watched live tv and omg, YOU CAN DO IT ON YOUR XBOX! WAVE YOUR HANDS!!11!!1

The only "live" tv worth watching is sporting events. And even that, in most cases I'd just rather record it and watch it later since I can fast forward commercials.

All the "features" that xbox1 is offering, I already have on other devices in my household. I don't need another device when I can already watch tv on any computer or screen in the house. My laptop will perform any function xbox1 can, and do it better.

I would consider it you know, for gaming, but there isn't a single microsoft exclusive game that is a "must play" for me and since the industry more or less insists that we get ****tier games so that they can all be multi-platform, I just don't see the point in getting a console at all.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #264
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
not wanting to play Johnny Dudebro's games does not make me narrow. his games do not garner any inherent privilege based solely on their ubiquity. I wasn't aware that I was required to be interested in those and/or Little Big Planet or Naughty Dog in order to keep my Real Gamer card. I am not generally interested in what the industry branded as "AAA" games in an attempt to prefigure their critical reception. considering they tend to collectively hit a single note, it is quite possible to sit out the 60-bucks-and-trade-it-in market entirely and still play a wide diversity of video games.

and I never said anything about narrow tastes anyway. lampooning a game for being "kiddy" is about being stupid, not about being selective.
And dismissing a game (or a whole library of games) for being "AAA single note games" is very different?

The Bioshock franchise falls into that category and while I don't like any of the entries nearly as much as System Shock 2 they're still very enjoyable games with top tier art direction and narrative.

The Infamous franchise has it's warts (namely the main character for 1&2, and mediocre narrative) but no game does "super hero sandbox" better and that is a damn fun experience from a gameplay standpoint. Which makes sense since Sucker Punch always nails gameplay (previously made Sly Cooper on PS2 and Rocket on N64).

The Assassin's Creed franchise has it's ups and downs but anyone who doesn't see the magic in free form platforming around Italy in AC2 is simply not paying attention. The previous game may have been rough and the follow ups have jumped the shark, but AC2 is stellar.

I could go on, but labeling the AAA market as dudebro same note pap isn't very different from labeling Nintendo kiddy or the strong indie/small studio market on PC as shallow or half-baked.

There is no "gamer card" to revoke, I'm just pointing out that you make a broad generalization about how PC covers up the need for either HD console while completely ignoring Sony's first party library, which has been spanking Nintendo's for the better part of this past generation. You painted with far too broad a brush.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #265
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
are you seriously doing this

people with any actual maturity do not run from things with color or whimsy. it's ok, the bad guys can't make fun of you anymore.

I don't think Nintendo is especially great anymore, but their systems are certainly the only systems with appreciable unique and exclusive content. if you have a gaming PC there is zero reason to even consider an Xbox Whatever or a Playstation The Next One.
You seem angry about consoles. None of the PS3 exclusive stuff is on Pc. Uncharted, God of war, last of us... You may not care for the games, but they're all relatively unique and considered by many to be quite good. Which gives more than "zero" reasons to get a Sony console. I can't speak to the Xbox cause I don't have one or know enough about their games. I do know Halo is on PC though.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #266
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #267
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
You seem angry about consoles. None of the PS3 exclusive stuff is on Pc. Uncharted, God of war, last of us... You may not care for the games, but they're all relatively unique and considered by many to be quite good. Which gives more than "zero" reasons to get a Sony console. I can't speak to the Xbox cause I don't have one or know enough about their games. I do know Halo is on PC though.
I don't think any version of Halo since the 1st (12 years ago) has been available for PC.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #268
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I am not too worried about the PS+ fee to online game, I really don't even do it that much anyways. The fact that the PS4 is $100 cheaper than the XBOX One and comes with better specs makes the decision easy for me. It will probably make it real easy for parents and others shopping around the holidays. $100 might not seem like a lot to people, but with the economy and people pinching their pennies, the $400 versus $500 will be a huge advantage for Playstation.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #269
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I don't think any version of Halo since the 1st (12 years ago) has been available for PC.
Halo 2 was on PC but was locked to Vista and newer Windows operating systems and generally ran like **** on systems that smoked the OG Xbox.

Since then all Xbox family exclusive.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #270
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Halo 2 was on PC but was locked to Vista and newer Windows operating systems and generally ran like **** on systems that smoked the OG Xbox.

Since then all Xbox family exclusive.
Wow, how did I miss that one? I may have to pick that up. I think Halo 2 was my favorite of the series.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #271
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

My sons and their buddies are all switching over to Play Station. Sounds like Microsoft has made a "New Coke" sized blunder.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #272
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Wish these systems would have been slimmer and not so portly.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #273
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Wow, how did I miss that one? I may have to pick that up. I think Halo 2 was my favorite of the series.
Again, its horribly optimized. You'd be better off playing it in any other format (I believe it's one of the select BC Xbox games with the Xbox 360 for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
My sons and their buddies are all switching over to Play Station. Sounds like Microsoft has made a "New Coke" sized blunder.
There will probably be a lot of that. Most 3rd party games are multiplatform. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bungie's new game Destiny, MGSV, AC: Black Flag, etc. are all multi. The only exclusives a company really gets now is what they pay for themselves. Microsoft had very little to show in that regard while Sony has a very strong first party division that have several major games lined up for launch.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #274
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't have a problem with color and whimsy. I have a problem with playing the same ultra-recycled franchises I played when I was a kid, and I find it amusing that a) a person could possibly perceive the Wii U as a next gen choice and b) would buy a massively underpowered system because they perceive said ultra-recycled franchises as "exclusives" to actually get excited about. Honestly I find the notion that anyone who has gone through puberty would actually prefer that steaming pile of **** over a PS4 simply hilarious, but hey to each their own.

Nintendo...
recycled? like god of war? battlefield? COD?Ratchet and clank?killzone?can you name one game that PS4s will have that is not recycled as well?At least nintendo is innovative, they don't just pull the 'prettier graphics' crap each generation.'Next gen' does not only mean beefier hardware either.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #275
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

the read and react strategy was well played by Sony, but you are a fool if you think everything you have heard in the last two days is set in stone. This is a business both companies are staking its future on, so I don't imagine MS to just take it laying down.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote