The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

The only real surprise is that any of us are surprised by this and next will be the collection of your DNA when you register to vote or apply for a driver’s license.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...iants-nsa-data

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The only real surprise is that any of us are surprised by this and next will be the collection of your DNA when you register to vote or apply for a driver’s license unless you're an illegal.

FIFY
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

has simply been replaced since people, both good and bad, now willingly give out much more interesting details about lives as a matter of "social networking".
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.att.com/shop/apps/isis-mobile-wallet.html
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Definitely makes you rethink this whole cloud experiment completely. Mind boggling when you get into the implications of this. I would've never thought they could've pulled something like this off on this scale with so many companies in tow, without the details leaking out (quickly)

How were so many people involved without someone leaking what they were doing?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The only real surprise is that any of us are surprised by this and next will be the collection of your DNA when you register to vote or apply for a driver’s license.

So if Prism is so good/effective, why was Benghazi blamed on an internet video, again?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
So if Prism is so good/effective, why was Benghazi blamed on an internet video, again?
These monitoring systems do nothing beneficial at all. The amount of data these programs collect if they collect efficiently is so outrageous that no agency could ever monitor it, much less draw any useful conclusions about anything. They may be able to go back after the fact and use this information to implicate others, but it has no role in prevention.

Sadly, the one thing that is all too true about security is that nobody knows how to do it. They spend billions on backscatter and millimetre scanners and they didn't do anything. They spend billions on monitoring and it doesn't help. They spend billions hiring 10s of thousands of DHS agents and they don't help. You would be surprised if you knew how many of the databases with electronic surveillance data are never ever used because the programs that were designed for them are no longer in use or do not actually work.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
While I'm no fan of Obama, it's painful to see a US president crashing and burning so miserably. Every time he talks, you can almost see the air escaping and his presidency deflating.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Definitely makes you rethink this whole cloud experiment completely. Mind boggling when you get into the implications of this. I would've never thought they could've pulled something like this off on this scale with so many companies in tow, without the details leaking out (quickly)

How were so many people involved without someone leaking what they were doing?
Fear is a powerful motivator.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obushma View Post
**** you, you are a jack boot Polock, not even an American. Elsid's ancestors were pulling Jews out of homes on lists made like these ones, of course he likes it.
I think it's time for you to take an involuntary vacation, scumbag.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #36
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Dems may get killed in midterms over this. Talk about fumbling the start of your first term.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #37
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Dems may get killed in midterms over this. Talk about fumbling the start of your first term.
I think a lot of people are going to answer at the ballot box for this on both sides.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #38
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
The program was designed to solve particular risk. It's not IC solution to solve all threats.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #39
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The program was designed to solve particular risk. It's not IC solution to solve all threats.
Ahhhhh. So horning in on the financial transactions, credit ratings, phone logs, emails, social media interactions, and chat sessions of every American is just one little piece of the puzzle.

I want no part of this. It is tyranny.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Ahhhhh. So horning in on the financial transactions, credit ratings, phone logs, emails, social media interactions, and chat sessions of every American is just one little piece of the puzzle.

I want no part of this. It is tyranny.
You do realize that already happening. The private sector is already done it to you.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #41
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
You do realize that already happening. The private sector is already done it to you.
Well then that makes it all ok. Why didn't you say that in the first place.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #42
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
So because 10 different companies can do little chunks of this its OK for the government (with complete power over your freedoms mind you) to do all of it all at once.

Besides, if I don't think Google adequately respects my privacy, I could go to a different company. Or even set up some of my own services. But when the government reaches across telcos and big data and ISPs and financial institutions? There's nothing you can do to maintain your privacy. Short of going off grid and living hermit style.

I'm surprised there's anyone out there willing to defend this. Its been disappointing to see people on both sides of the aisle do so. There needs to be a third way forged out of this mess.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #43
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So because 10 different companies can do little chunks of this its OK for the government (with complete power over your freedoms mind you) to do all of it all at once.

Besides, if I don't think Google adequately respects my privacy, I could go to a different company. Or even set up some of my own services. But when the government reaches across telcos and big data and ISPs and financial institutions? There's nothing you can do to maintain your privacy. Short of going off grid and living hermit style.

I'm surprised there's anyone out there willing to defend this. Its been disappointing to see people on both sides of the aisle do so. There needs to be a third way forged out of this mess.
I have yet to see anyone "defend" it. I see a lot of people who are unable to wrap their minds around the surprise demonstrated by people who somehow didn't know or suspect this has been going on for a long time.

(Edit: After re-reading your post, I suspect the bolded part is referring to legislators. I thought you were referring to people on the board.)
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #44
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Everything you do on the internet is tracked and analyzed by private companies. No matter what services or providers you use. Search results (most "alternative" search providers, like yahoo, simply rebrand Google and/or Bing), ad tracking, traffic analysis by your ISP to "look for pirates" for the **AA, honeypots by the same, DNS query logging, etc.

On the internet YOU are the product being sold. Period. Even here on the Mane.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Everything you do on the internet is tracked and analyzed by private companies. No matter what services or providers you use. Search results (most "alternative" search providers, like yahoo, simply rebrand Google and/or Bing), ad tracking, traffic analysis by your ISP to "look for pirates" for the **AA, honeypots by the same, DNS query logging, etc.

On the internet YOU are the product being sold. Period. Even here on the Mane.
I'm more than aware of what's possible, as I said, company by company. But Facebook doesn't go out of its way to share user info with Google. Or Comcast. None of them likely have any idea what goes on inside your banking account. Or who you called from your landline last night. Or what were in those bachelor party photos you 'privately' shared on Flickr.

Combine all of that, with the click of a mouse, under the authority of a group of people who have a perpetual vested interest in suppressing and silencing nearly half of the voting population.

What you're missing is that yes, if your government really really wanted to find all of this out about you, they could do it. But you and I (under the 'old' system) really weren't worth the amount of effort and fuss that would've required. Under Prism, this could be taken care of for you and a million of your buddies with a trivial amount of effort.

http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/...ame-of-drones/

Excellent read, if you have any interest. And some great questions asked. Why is all of this leaking out now? Have some of the insiders seen enough that they're starting to realize how far this leads, and they're getting cold feet?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #46
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
[...]
The only thing good about Shia's "Transformers" movies was Megan Fox.

I expected better from you, TJ - relying on a 2nd-tier movie personality to make your point. No wonder libertarians are a joke.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #49
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

"This administration acts like violating civil liberties is the way to enhance our security. It is not! There are no shortcuts to protecting America."

-- Barak Obama, 2007
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's funny watching liberals try to keep saying things like Bush did it also, Bush did it first, Bush was worst, this far after he has been gone. Jesus Christ Obama will be 1 yr from leaving office and liberals will be like holy **** Obamas over with and we spent the whole time just trying to convince ourselves he wasn't that bad. Meanwhile Obama is like J Edgar Hoover, Nixon rolled up together in a blunt. Totally into nepotism, taking away freedoms of those that think different then him, and doing whatever it takes to silence his critics and plug any leaks that may occur.

Had fast and furious, Benghazzi, Irs, NSA, AP news scandals all hit a repub President these threads would be much different from our liberal friends on the board. They would be all over it like Clinton on an intern.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote