The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion. He's still a whack job.

And you can see I changed my outlook after this post once I decided to go read up about it a bit. Not nearly the "miraculous" crop it's made out to be. I wish it was. One of my key issues is getting the plastic out of the ocean. I would love it if we could find a replacement for all our packaging that ends up floating in the ocean. Unfortunately, corn is too environmentally expensive, requiring lots of water, fertilizer and insecticide. Hemp would be a excellent replacement if it wasn't so expensive to process and if the products made were attractive. Cotton is one of the most environmentally damaging crops on Earth. We've got to clean up our act if we want to leave a healthy world to our great grandchildren. The first thing we can do is stop using plastic. Everybody take your own bags to the store. It's a start.
How much of it is upfront cost to ramp up that infrastructure? How much $ is saved on the back end due to local shipping/distribution/water/fertilizer requirements?

If we're looking at ROI and long term gains - that's where i'd start.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The cost is in the processing. Only the outer bark of hemp is usable for paper products. Stripping it off and treating it is more costly than using soft pine which is 100% usable.
The cellulose in wood is tough -- difficult to break down for use as fiber.

Wood pulp mills are also sources of pollution.

Hemp is a much better alternative.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

Quote:
Actually, probably not.
http://www.alternet.org/story/77339/...spiracy_theory

I guess it won't replace paper either. Or plastics. The cost of processing it is too high:

The cost of hemp pulp is approximately six times that of wood pulp,[40] mostly because of the small size and outdated equipment of the few hemp processing plants in the Western world, and because hemp is harvested once a year (during August)[citation needed] and needs to be stored to feed the mill the whole year through. This storage requires a lot of (mostly manual) handling of the bulky stalk bundles. Another issue is that the entire hemp plant cannot be economically prepared for paper production. While the wood products industry uses nearly 100% of the fiber from harvested trees, only about 25% of the dried hemp stem the bark, called bast contains the long, strong fibers desirable for paper production.[42] All this accounts for a high raw material cost. Hemp pulp is bleached with hydrogen peroxide, a process today also commonly used for wood pulp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

That's a shame. It might be part of a solution. They are using it as an ingredient in car body parts, replacing some plastics.

We could use it to reduce the amount of cotton we grow. It seems as though its use as a textile is about the most cost effective.
Of course, you're wrong, as usual.

Did anyone even bother to look at the garbage blog Ro linked? It's a blog, some sh*t for brains liberal blog, the guy doesnt know sh*t from shinola.

Harvested once a year? Only the bark can be used in paper production? This guy is a regular Hurst ass kisser.

1 acre of trees can take anywhere from 50 to 500 years to grow enough to be used for paper. 1 acre of hemp can be cultivated within 100 days. 1 acre of hemp produces fiber pulp equal to 4 acres of trees. Hemp paper can be recycled up to three times more then regular wood paper. Hemp is harvested and transported like corn, which is a lot cheaper then wood.

BTW, wood is not bleached w/ hydrogen peroxide like hemp.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Logging has other costs on society. I've personally known two different loggers killed in the last six years. I've lost count of the injuries, some permanent. It's one of the most dangerous jobs.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obushma View Post
Of course, you're wrong, as usual.

Did anyone even bother to look at the garbage blog Ro linked? It's a blog, some sh*t for brains liberal blog, the guy doesnt know sh*t from shinola.

Harvested once a year? Only the bark can be used in paper production? This guy is a regular Hurst ass kisser.

1 acre of trees can take anywhere from 50 to 500 years to grow enough to be used for paper. 1 acre of hemp can be cultivated within 100 days. 1 acre of hemp produces fiber pulp equal to 4 acres of trees. Hemp paper can be recycled up to three times more then regular wood paper. Hemp is harvested and transported like corn, which is a lot cheaper then wood.

BTW, wood is not bleached w/ hydrogen peroxide like hemp.
Damn! They still haven't found the blend of medications that works best for you? That's a shame.

The truth is that finding an unbiased, legitimate site regarding hemp is about as easy as finding an unbiased study of Roswell. That was about as close as I could come.

BTW, Hurst [sic] has been dead for over sixty years. I doubt he is still much interested in keeping hemp down.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #31
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

Quote:
Damn! They still haven't found the blend of medications that works best for you? That's a shame.
A blend of HGH, prevacid, and THC. What are they using on you geriatics nowadays anyway?

Quote:
The truth is that finding an unbiased, legitimate site regarding hemp is about as easy as finding an unbiased study of Roswell. That was about as close as I could come.

BTW, Hurst [sic] has been dead for over sixty years. I doubt he is still much interested in keeping hemp down.
No see, the problem is you posted this as FACT

Quote:
I guess it won't replace paper either. Or plastics. The cost of processing it is too high:

The cost of hemp pulp is approximately six times that of wood pulp,[40] mostly because of the small size and outdated equipment of the few hemp processing plants in the Western world, and because hemp is harvested once a year (during August)[citation needed] and needs to be stored to feed the mill the whole year through. This storage requires a lot of (mostly manual) handling of the bulky stalk bundles. Another issue is that the entire hemp plant cannot be economically prepared for paper production. While the wood products industry uses nearly 100% of the fiber from harvested trees, only about 25% of the dried hemp stem the bark, called bast contains the long, strong fibers desirable for paper production.[42] All this accounts for a high raw material cost. Hemp pulp is bleached with hydrogen peroxide, a process today also commonly used for wood pulp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

That's a shame. It might be part of a solution. They are using it as an ingredient in car body parts, replacing some plastics.

We could use it to reduce the amount of cotton we grow. It seems as though its use as a textile is about the most cost effective.
So instead of posting like you know what your talking about, just say, Hey, I pulled this bull**** from a blog, maybe right, maybe wrong.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Prevacid, .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Speaking of Rand Paul, sounds like he's off an running.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...cian-every-day
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Speaking of Rand Paul, sounds like he's off an running.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...cian-every-day
I would say that I hope he wins the nomination of the GOP, but then I realized that Hillary probably gets the Dem nod, so it's a wash - radical libertarian versus Republican Lite. No-win situation.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I would say that I hope he wins the nomination of the GOP, but then I realized that Hillary probably gets the Dem nod, so it's a wash - radical libertarian versus Republican Lite. No-win situation.
Well, I wouldn't call it a wash...GOP Lite isn't a "win", but it's vastly preferable to a far right-wing jackal like Paul.

It's amazing how far to the right this country has shifted in the past couple of decades. Politicians who have basically the same views as Richard Nixon are the most progressive choices we're given
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I'll get the lobby that supports Corn and Cotton will be thrilled
But if they have to add Corn Fructose to the Hemp, we are good to go. This is another example of lobbying our government to benefit the good of a few over the population as a whole.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote