The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #76
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
How dare you temper your optimism! Errand will be here to tell you your sarcastic tone is unappreciated.

again I have no problem with people having a wait and see attitude about him or any other player.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #77
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Who is blaming Julius Thomas?

I didn't say anyone was blaming Julius Thomas for the articles. I'm guessing you were talking about the author.....

You said these kind of fluff hype articles fuel unreasonable expectations which evidently means your expectations of Julius become unreasonable when you read an article stating he's playing well, because my expectations of him haven't been influenced by it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #78
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Local media and people that went to training camp saw Julius being heavily utilized in redzone and third down drills. People aren't pulling this out of the air.
Nobody is pulling the idea that he was hyped up out of the air either. It shouldn't come as a surprise that someone with his physical ability and measurables would be utilized in that fashion. The comparison(s) of Thomas to Gates and other tight ends with the potential of being great comes from the foundational link to backgrounds in basketball.

There has been high praise for his camp performances over the past several seasons, but there has not been any production due to lingering issues with injuries. As I have said before, I wish him the best and hope he can become a part of this offense that can create mismatches in certain situations. I would love for him or Green (or even Reed) to step up as youngsters and solidify the position moving forward for when Manning is no longer around.

At the same time, I am more realistic in my approach to the situation and do not have high expectations for a guy whose career contributions on the field are one catch for gain of five yards. My expectations were never high to begin with because I abhored the selection.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #79
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nattering nabobs of negativism

Attachment 32405

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #80
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Dear Julius,

Anything less than two busts in Canton and you will personally be a disappointment to me. DO NOT let me down.

Signed,
Me.
Man-Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #81
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
so you found 7 articles written about him.....tell me how that translates to "hundreds"
Obviously the "hundreds" remark was hyperbole. I found seven in a couple of seconds changing search parameters on Google. I am willing to bet that there are dozens upon dozens more, considering the various news outlets in Colorado who report on the Broncos and other media that tends to consolidate and regurgitate such findings.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #82
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
But don't worry, I researched it......a simple google search shows that most written about Julius Thomas have been done so over the past 24-36 hours and are the same exact article posted in this thread, although some have changed the title of the headline.
it's probably displaying the most recent articles. there have been a lot of fluff pieces on Thomas over the past 3 years. which would explain the reaction in this and the other thread hyping Thomas. Hope he does turn into a player, but this Julius Thomas offseason hype is pretty much an annual event now.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #83
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nobody is pulling the idea that he was hyped up out of the air either. It shouldn't come as a surprise that someone with his physical ability and measurables would be utilized in that fashion. The comparison(s) of Thomas to Gates and other tight ends with the potential of being great comes from the foundational link to backgrounds in basketball.

There has been high praise for his camp performances over the past several seasons, but there has not been any production due to lingering issues with injuries. As I have said before, I wish him the best and hope he can become a part of this offense that can create mismatches in certain situations. I would love for him or Green (or even Reed) to step up as youngsters and solidify the position moving forward for when Manning is no longer around.

At the same time, I am more realistic in my approach to the situation and do not have high expectations for a guy whose career contributions on the field are one catch for gain of five yards. My expectations were never high to begin with because I abhored the selection.
This is fair. But managing expectations and being skeptical is different from being annoyed by the press and claiming BUST (and then "cleverly" comparing him to other Bronco "busts").
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #84
Bronco Yoda

2k baby!

Sounds like he's progressing nicely. Not such a bad thing me thinks.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
Bacchus

Quote:
Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?
you are stupid. They were football players that also played basketball. Thomas played 4 years of college basketball on no years of football until he ran out of Basketball eligibility. Thus he was a basketball player trying to play football. ****ing idiot.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #86
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Antonio Gates played very little football.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #87
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Jimmy Graham only played one year of college football.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #88
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Antonio Gates played very little football.
i looked up his stats, 2nd year in he was ballin' already.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #89
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Hehe.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #90
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Jimmy Graham only played one year of college football.
Yes and for every success story there are many where the basketball player does not make the transition.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #91
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
I didn't say anyone was blaming Julius Thomas for the articles.
So why even point out "it's not his fault?"

Quote:
You said these kind of fluff hype articles fuel unreasonable expectations which evidently means your expectations of Julius become unreasonable when you read an article stating he's playing well, because my expectations of him haven't been influenced by it.
No quite the opposite. We've read stuff like this before. Some player is a camp standout and then does nothing when the real bullets are flying. That's why everyone is ripping on this stuff. It means nothing. For whatever reason, a lot of things have been written about Thomas in the preseason and collectively everyone rolled their eyes. Then you latched onto someone's obviously hyperbolic comment as some kind of challenge to your personal freedoms. "100 articles EXACTLY!?!?! SHOW ME ALL 100 or shame on your family for a 1000 years!"

The point that everyone got, but was clearly over your head was that there are many articles written about players who do well in the preseason - and most don't amount to much if anything once the regular season roles around. And several have been written about Thomas already and he has to this date not done much. So the skepticism is deserved.

For your assistance in understanding the subtle nuances of sarcasm and English- not just in this thread, but in life in general - the words "several" and "many" can, through hyperbole, be synonymous with the following:
hundreds
thousands
millions
billions
loads and loads
endless
tons
a boat load
unending

Again, these are figurative expressions that only truly mean more than a few. I would say four plus qualifies. Certainly seven does.

Hope that clarifies.

Last edited by Kaylore; 06-05-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #92
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Droppin' five yard greatness on all the haters.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #93
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yes and for every success story there are many where the basketball player does not make the transition.
So ****ing what. Graham was one of the players that you said was a football player first.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #94
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Jimmy Graham in his first three seasons

130 catches for 1666 yards and 16 touchdowns

Antonio Gates in his first three seasons

194 catches for 2454 yards and 25 touchdowns

Tony Gonzalez in his first three seasons
168 catches 1838 yards and 15 touchdowns

Julius Thomas in his first three seasons

1 catch, 5 yards.

One of these basketball project TE's is not like the others.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #95
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

All I know is nothing gets my blood boiling like a "known" project showing more of his potential when healthy. He isn't even needed to make the offense great, though we could become unstoppable if he does play well.

Like Holliday, any mismatch we can get out of Thomas is just extra gravy for Manning.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #96
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Obviously the "hundreds" remark was hyperbole. I found seven in a couple of seconds changing search parameters on Google. I am willing to bet that there are dozens upon dozens more, considering the various news outlets in Colorado who report on the Broncos and other media that tends to consolidate and regurgitate such findings.
That was my point...that he was exaggerating the number of articles....
Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #97
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
That was my point...that he was exaggerating the number of articles....
We all already knew that, errand.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #98
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

I agree that not all who play basketball can make the transition to the NFL....I never said otherwise.

You however said basketball players aren't tough enough to play in the NFL.....I gave you just 5-6 of those who in fact did (for brevity's sake)...but we can also add in these guys who played college basketball but decided to pursue football for whatever reason (HoF like Tony Gonzalez will be)

Otto Graham
Jim Brown
Evan Moore
Terry Baker
Cris Carter
Dave Logan
Ronald Curry
Todd Bouman
Justin Gage
RGIII
Terrelle Pryor
Connor Barwin
Martellus Bennett
Murphy Holloway
Demetrius Harris
Jordan Cameron
Demar Dotson
Julius Thomas

There are many people who played other sports that became NFL players....Dave Winfield was drafted by NBA, MLB, and NFL teams.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #99
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
All I know is nothing gets my blood boiling like a "known" project showing more of his potential when healthy. He isn't even needed to make the offense great, though we could become unstoppable if he does play well.

Like Holliday, any mismatch we can get out of Thomas is just extra gravy for Manning.
Exactly.....

The potential this kid has to become something special is why he is still on the roster. The Broncos brain trust doesn't seem like the types that would keep some clown around who doesn't show potential to grow.

Imagine a big 6'5" 250lb. TE in that can run a 4.6 forty, has huge hands in an offense that already has two big WR's with decent speed and arguably the best slot receiver in the business today?

This guy is showing that he can get open and catch the ball after two injury riddled seasons as an understudy....I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he makes the team and contributes to their success.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #100
OrangeSe7en

Is this about that "missile" in a shoebox under his bed?