The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Excited to see him in preseason.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #27
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
so you can provide the links of all these hundreds of articles about him over the course of his short career?
no problem bro, I care about you so much I'll just hop on over to The Internet for the next two hours. brb

that's code for "kill yourself," by the way

I think you should probably be picking up from the rest of the posts in this thread that fluff pieces on OJ aren't exactly a new trend
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #28
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

another Kirkus or Jack MFin Williams.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #29
Bacchus

I think the big thing is everybody sees his talent and physical tools BUT he is a basketball player. Most basketball players are not tough enough ot play football. He has been injured constantly since he has been in Denver. He could just be one of those basketball players whose body cannot handle the physicality of football.

Has anyone seen him catch a ball in traffic down the middle of the field?

Hopefully, he can stay healthy this year and we will then see if he can play football.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
DENVERDUI55

Wesley Duke 2.0
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I think I'm going to resist the natural urge to facepalm and instead just see what happens. The sheer odds say that sooner or later, one of these years, one of the camp phenoms is gonna continue it in the regular season.

Not that I'm getting my hopes up.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #32
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Would love to see him get serious playing time, if anything just in pre-season before making a prediction but he has the talent to become a beast. I think he compares to Martellus Bennett, who also took a couple years and was relatively hyped up but still turned out to be a top 10ish TE
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Wesley Duke 2.0
Yeah but Wesley Duke had TWO catches and a touchdown in his single season with the Broncos.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

JT was a player with round 1 physical talents selected in the 4th round because he would require development. No one should be shocked that he has taken time to pick up the nuances of the game.

There is no reason at all not to be excited about him. At the same time there are reasons to worry that he may be injury prone.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #35
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
The complaints about Julius Thomas here are silly. If he was a first round pick, everyone would be excited that our high pick is finally showing signs of dominance now that he's healthy. But because he's a 4th round pick, everyone lumps him in with the undrafted camp fodder types and Wesley Dukes (who showed nowhere near as much upside in his limited time with the team).
Agreed - people should remember that DT had injuries early and played well after
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #36
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I choose to feel very positive about Thomas which makes me feel good unlike those of you that assume he will suck. You know who you are you are the ones that said the same things about DT and Decker
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
no problem bro, I care about you so much I'll just hop on over to The Internet for the next two hours. brb

that's code for "kill yourself," by the way

I think you should probably be picking up from the rest of the posts in this thread that fluff pieces on OJ aren't exactly a new trend
So you can't prove that there have been hundreds of these kind of pieces about Thomas in the news.....

But don't worry, I researched it......a simple google search shows that most written about Julius Thomas have been done so over the past 24-36 hours and are the same exact article posted in this thread, although some have changed the title of the headline.

I found one or two that were written about a week ago saying he'll get a chance to show what he can do due to Dreesen having knee scoped, and a couple more talking about his uphill battle to crack the starting lineup due to the two vets who play in front of him and his lack of football experience, etc.

Hardly the "hundreds" you claimed were written over his career.

Just so you, one fluff piece regurgitated by 100 news media outlets doesn't mean there have been 100 different fluff pieces written....it's one solitary story.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #38
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The complaints on Thomas on these forums are valid. Nobody denied that he would have a learning curve. People are just sick and tired of hearing about a dude who has never done anything in his career to merit such attention. Plenty of players impress in camp, that means nothing about future longevity and the ability to handle the NFL.

He was picked on upside alone. Nothing he ever did in college merited such a selection. Physical tools and tests were impressive. I was a huge Virgil Green fan and glad we got him in the seventh. Not many late round players have contributed from that draft, but looking back Denarius Moore, Jacquizz Rodgers and maybe a few others were the only ones worth a hoot thereafter.

I hope he can turn the corner and be a weapon for us this year, but I am not going to get my hopes up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

The complaints about Julius Thomas are oddly annoying. He was a basketball player we drafted in the 4th round and I assume most here said something like "a great developmental project! Maybe in a couple years he'll be great!" He exceeded everyones expectations during his rookie year preseason, then got hurt. Then me missed the next offseason with another injury, while continuing to learn how to play the game. Now, its his third offseason and he's performing well in camps, and half of you yell BUST! BUST! WESLEY DUKE! HE SUCKS!

I get being cautious with optimism because of his injury history, but why do you all assume he'll be terrible.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #40
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The complaints on Thomas on these forums are valid. Nobody denied that he would have a learning curve. People are just sick and tired of hearing about a dude who has never done anything in his career to merit such attention. Plenty of players impress in camp, that means nothing about future longevity and the ability to handle the NFL.

He was picked on upside alone. Nothing he ever did in college merited such a selection. Physical tools and tests were impressive. I was a huge Virgil Green fan and glad we got him in the seventh. Not many late round players have contributed from that draft, but looking back Denarius Moore, Jacquizz Rodgers and maybe a few others were the only ones worth a hoot thereafter.

I hope he can turn the corner and be a weapon for us this year, but I am not going to get my hopes up.
I don't get this revisionist history that suggests constant attention! He got attention his rookie year, and deservedly so, because he was a 4th round developmental project who proved in camp that he was ahead of the learning curve. Then he got hurt and we really never heard from him again until now because he was injured.

People act like he's this 5 year vet that's a yearly tease.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I think I'm going to resist the natural urge to facepalm and instead just see what happens. The sheer odds say that sooner or later, one of these years, one of the camp phenoms is gonna continue it in the regular season.
We've had some camp phenoms that really did emerge as good or at least decent: Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Wesley Woodyard, Elvis Dumervil, Derek Wolfe, Chris Harris and Tony Carter all really had good camps and then became good players.

This year put me down for Malik Jackson, who had a really good camp last year and flashed in preseason. If he's continued to progress like I hope, he may be the real deal.

Julius Thomas only played ball for one year so it's possible it's just taken him this long to put it all together. We shall see.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #42
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
But don't worry, I researched it......a simple google search shows that most written about Julius Thomas have been done so over the past 24-36 hours and are the same exact article posted in this thread, although some have changed the title of the headline.
Then change the searching parameters of the Google search or type in Julius Thomas 2011 / 2012 training camp and you will come up with quite a few. Google is set to show up the MOST RECENT news stories. It is going to take a little digging to find out what extralife and others are talking about.

Oh wait, it was pretty quick. This took me about 10 seconds.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

Anyone who followed the draft and subsequent training camp in 2011 read all the stories and the hype about him. It was everywhere. Extralife is pretty much spot on.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #43
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think the big thing is everybody sees his talent and physical tools BUT he is a basketball player. Most basketball players are not tough enough to play football.
Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?

Sup' b****?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #44
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
The complaints about Julius Thomas are oddly annoying. He was a basketball player we drafted in the 4th round and I assume most here said something like "a great developmental project! Maybe in a couple years he'll be great!" He exceeded everyones expectations during his rookie year preseason, then got hurt. Then me missed the next offseason with another injury, while continuing to learn how to play the game. Now, its his third offseason and he's performing well in camps, and half of you yell BUST! BUST! WESLEY DUKE! HE SUCKS!

I get being cautious with optimism because of his injury history, but why do you all assume he'll be terrible.
Because they think it makes them sound like sophisticated students of the game as vs fan boys.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Yeah there you go. He was a project to begin with. I think what bothers people is they've heard of him being really dynamic for now three offseasons and then nothing.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #46
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

finally we can release Tamme!
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #47
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Then change the searching parameters of the Google search or type in Julius Thomas 2011 / 2012 training camp and you will come up with quite a few. Google is set to show up the MOST RECENT news stories. It is going to take a little digging to find out what extralife and others are talking about.

Oh wait, it was pretty quick. This took me about 10 seconds.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

Anyone who followed the draft and subsequent training camp in 2011 read all the stories and the hype about him. It was everywhere. Extralife is pretty much spot on.
Right, pretty much all from the summer of 2011 and before. This idea that he's this constant tease is revisionist history.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #48
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I don't get this revisionist history that suggests constant attention! He got attention his rookie year, and deservedly so, because he was a 4th round developmental project who proved in camp that he was ahead of the learning curve. Then he got hurt and we really never heard from him again until now because he was injured.

People act like he's this 5 year vet that's a yearly tease.
It isn't revisionist history. The articles and comparisons to Antonio Gates or him emerging as the next basketball player to become a great tight end were all out there from 2011 and even into 2012.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #49
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
It isn't revisionist history. The articles and comparisons to Antonio Gates or him emerging as the next basketball player to become a great tight end were all out there from 2011 and even into 2012.
Local media and people that went to training camp saw Julius being heavily utilized in redzone and third down drills. People aren't pulling this out of the air.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #50
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:

so you found 7 articles written about him.....tell me how that translates to "hundreds"