The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #51
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Garland to PS for one more year (for his versatility to play pretty much any position on bothOL/DL).

How many PS players is a team allotted? It seems 6 is too many.

As #3 QB, Dysert doesn't count against the final 53.
1. Not 100% sure, but I think Garland is out of practice squad eligibility.

2. Teams are allowed a maximum of 8 practice squad players.

3. My understanding was that the 3rd quarterback rule had been abolished, and that the game day rosters were raised from 45 to 46 to account for this... but am willing to concede that I got that wrong, as it's all pretty arcane and confusing. In any case, Dysert would count again the 53 man roster as the 3rd QB on the team.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #52
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Clark's been doing that for at least two years now.

Painter will make it to the PS. He was a 6th round pick so we know other teams dont value him significantly higher.

Bolden should still be PS eligible IF it comes to that.
I just recounted. I do have only 10 DBs. I put Jammer in parantheses where I listed him as a backup.

So I think the big roster battles are:
--G Robinson, Orton and Caldwell for one roster spot: Caldwell, but Robinson could be our new T.C. Superstar.

--Jacob Hester, Lance Ball, Moreno, and McGahee: One of these guys is out, and it may have more to do with the cap than with talent on the field. Moreno may go because he just can't stay healthy.

--Painter, Blake, Ramierz, Kuper, and Clark for three roster spots: Painter probably goes to the PS. If Kupes goes to the PUP, the other threee remain. I think Ramirez is the odd man out if Kupe is on the active roster.

--Beal and M Jackson for one spot: My gut tells me Beal is in. If Q Smith goes to the PUP, they are both around for 6 weeks.

--I think we carry 7 LBs, mainly for Special Teams impact

--Adams, Bolden, T Carter, and Q Carter for three spots: I think Adams is out here, but the T.C. Battles will be interesting.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #53
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
I just recounted. I do have only 10 DBs. I put Jammer in parantheses where I listed him as a backup.

So I think the big roster battles are:
--G Robinson, Orton and Caldwell for one roster spot: Caldwell, but Robinson could be our new T.C. Superstar.

--Jacob Hester, Lance Ball, Moreno, and McGahee: One of these guys is out, and it may have more to do with the cap than with talent on the field. Moreno may go because he just can't stay healthy.

--Painter, Blake, Ramierz, Kuper, and Clark for three roster spots: Painter probably goes to the PS. If Kupes goes to the PUP, the other threee remain. I think Ramirez is the odd man out if Kupe is on the active roster.

--Beal and M Jackson for one spot: My gut tells me Beal is in. If Q Smith goes to the PUP, they are both around for 6 weeks.

--I think we carry 7 LBs, mainly for Special Teams impact

--Adams, Bolden, T Carter, and Q Carter for three spots: I think Adams is out here, but the T.C. Battles will be interesting.
Our fifth WR probably has to be able to play special teams.

I think we keep one of the veteran RBs McGahee/Moreno and one special team RB Ball/Hester. I believe it will be McGahee and Lance Ball.

Man Ram makes the roster as a back-up guard and center. Kuper is also making the team, we aren't cap strapped where we should sacrifice a player of his caliber when healthy. Painter won't make it to PS and Clark has some versatility. I think we carry those 4 to make 9 on the OL. Blake is the odd man out.

I could deffinatley see 7 LBs being carried. I had 6 on mine, the big variable is what does Johnson show in OTAs, TC, and pre season.

I think Adams is safe, it's becoming popular to cut him, but I think he was very solid last year. Bolden is not getting cut already. One of the Carter's could be the odd man out, I see it being Tony Carter.

I think both Beal and Jackson make it. I think Malik is Wolfe's direct back-up and I listed him as a DT because I think we carry 3 DTs, Knighton, Vickerson, Williams in a 3 man rotation like last season. Wolfe and Jackson can and do slide inside already. Beal will make the roster and play as a situational rusher.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #54
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Our fifth WR probably has to be able to play special teams.

I think we keep one of the veteran RBs McGahee/Moreno and one special team RB Ball/Hester. I believe it will be McGahee and Lance Ball.

Man Ram makes the roster as a back-up guard and center. Kuper is also making the team, we aren't cap strapped where we should sacrifice a player of his caliber when healthy. Painter won't make it to PS and Clark has some versatility. I think we carry those 4 to make 9 on the OL. Blake is the odd man out.

I could deffinatley see 7 LBs being carried. I had 6 on mine, the big variable is what does Johnson show in OTAs, TC, and pre season.

I think Adams is safe, it's becoming popular to cut him, but I think he was very solid last year. Bolden is not getting cut already. One of the Carter's could be the odd man out, I see it being Tony Carter.

I think both Beal and Jackson make it. I think Malik is Wolfe's direct back-up and I listed him as a DT because I think we carry 3 DTs, Knighton, Vickerson, Williams in a 3 man rotation like last season. Wolfe and Jackson can and do slide inside already. Beal will make the roster and play as a situational rusher.
--So you see Unrein being cut?

-- I would not cry to see either of the Carters go.

--Joh nson is a gamer and will have an impact this year. Hell, I think he has a chance to start.

--If manram makes it in over Blake, so be it.

--agreed on the RBs
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #55
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
--So you see Unrein being cut?

-- I would not cry to see either of the Carters go.

--Joh nson is a gamer and will have an impact this year. Hell, I think he has a chance to start.

--If manram makes it in over Blake, so be it.

--agreed on the RBs
Yeah Unrein isn't going to make the roster because of how many DBs we carry and the emergence of Beal. Last year we used a 3 man DT rotation which I expect again, with Knighton, Big Vick, and Sly. Remember Wolfe and Malik can and did play DT last year, Malik offers more than Unrein, so I see Unrein being a tough cut.

It was VERY difficult not to put Johnson on mine, I would not be surprised if we kept him at all, with our propensity to Nickel, I just could see him being the odd man out. Especially given the money we paid to Bradley..
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #56
SlyEli

In regards to which defensive backs will be kept, I think quinton carter gets cut before bolden or t. carter or Webster. Q is a good tackler in a phone booth but takes bad angles and lacks great ball skills. Not to mention he looks like he's running in quicksand half the time (getting outrun by Aaron Hernandez in 2011 playoffs stands out in my mind). I wish the broncos would sign Kerry Rhodes to shore up the back end of the secondary. Mike Adams is so incredibly average.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #57
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
In regards to which defensive backs will be kept, I think quinton carter gets cut before bolden or t. carter or Webster. Q is a good tackler in a phone booth but takes bad angles and lacks great ball skills. Not to mention he looks like he's running in quicksand half the time (getting outrun by Aaron Hernandez in 2011 playoffs stands out in my mind). I wish the broncos would sign Kerry Rhodes to shore up the back end of the secondary. Mike Adams is so incredibly average.
Kerry Rhodes isn't getting any interest because he's gay.

It's sad, but true.

Also, I very much disagree about Q Carter. I think if he's truly healthy, he'll probably take that starting role from Adams.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #58
SlyEli

Quote:

It's sad, but true.

Also, I very much disagree about Q Carter. I think if he's truly healthy, he'll probably take that starting role from Adams.
That's what I was thinking regarding Rhodes. Seems to me Denver is one of the most open NFL cities (other than san fran of course) but I'm sure teams don't want the media attention that would come with a gay active player (assuming he comes out).

That being said, the safety position seems like a huge weakness to me. Moore made big strides as a tackler but still has no ball skills. Adams is just another guy out there and dropped multiple easy picks, and struggled tremendously with opposing tight ends. Jammer will replace him on third downs this year, but I'm not sure he shouldn't be starting over Adams on first and second down too.

Quinton Carter was hyped for his rookie year safety play, but that was compared to the other guys on the field, Rahim Moore (terrible his rookie year) and David Bruton (absolute garbage at safety). Carter was a solid tackler but I don't have faith in his foot speed, especially after his knee problems.

The broncos lack a guy with any playmaking ability at safety right now. I think safety is the biggest weakness on this entire roster.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #59
Bmore Manning

Funny I mentioned Safety as a big time weakness, mentioned drafting two (Phillip Thomas FS and Cooper Taylor SS) or possibly picking up two in free agency (Rhodes, Wilson, and Mikell) were three I heavily mentioned..

I don't agree that Jammer should start over Adams..
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #60
SlyEli

Quote:
Funny I mentioned Safety as a big time weakness, mentioned drafting two (Phillip Thomas FS and Cooper Taylor SS) or possibly picking up two in free agency (Rhodes, Wilson, and Mikell) were three I heavily mentioned..

I don't agree that Jammer should start over Adams..
I agree that they should have addressed it in either the draft or free agency, but oh well. There weren't a lot of ballhawk safeties in the draft that I was excited about. Maybe the dude the jags picked up. I still think the best way to go would be free agency, with one of the guys you mentioned.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #61
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
McGahee in Moreno out.
Moreno would be the obvious veteran choice to keep with Ball and Hillman, but he can't stay healthy it would seem. I see him and Willis being cut as well. I'd prefer it if they kept Knowshon one more year though to help Ball and Hillman along.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #62
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Coach John Fox indicated the Broncos are being intentionally cautious with Knowshon Moreno in his recovery from an offseason stem-cell procedure on his right knee.
The surgery, which is believed to have taken place either in late January or early February, involved the removal of stem cells from Moreno's pelvis. They were then inserted into his right knee. Four months later, he still can't practice. "He's coming along," Fox said. "We're going to be very cautious. When the doctors give him the full-go go-ahead, he'll be doing everything."

Yeah lets keep this guy around
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #63
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
That's what I was thinking regarding Rhodes. Seems to me Denver is one of the most open NFL cities (other than san fran of course) but I'm sure teams don't want the media attention that would come with a gay active player (assuming he comes out).
Yeah thats one of those "it is what it is" situations.

Quote:
That being said, the safety position seems like a huge weakness to me. Moore made big strides as a tackler but still has no ball skills. Adams is just another guy out there and dropped multiple easy picks, and struggled tremendously with opposing tight ends. Jammer will replace him on third downs this year, but I'm not sure he shouldn't be starting over Adams on first and second down too.
Ball skills will improve as the underneath coverage improves this season. Safety priority can shift from making the safe play (oh the playoff irony), to high pointing the ball.

Quote:
Quinton Carter was hyped for his rookie year safety play, but that was compared to the other guys on the field, Rahim Moore (terrible his rookie year) and David Bruton (absolute garbage at safety). Carter was a solid tackler but I don't have faith in his foot speed, especially after his knee problems.

The broncos lack a guy with any playmaking ability at safety right now. I think safety is the biggest weakness on this entire roster.
Carter was a stand out playing alongside Brian Dawkins.

Well, "stand out" is probably a strong term, but he had a really solid rookie outing.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #64
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Yeah Unrein isn't going to make the roster because of how many DBs we carry and the emergence of Beal. Last year we used a 3 man DT rotation which I expect again, with Knighton, Big Vick, and Sly. Remember Wolfe and Malik can and did play DT last year, Malik offers more than Unrein, so I see Unrein being a tough cut.

It was VERY difficult not to put Johnson on mine, I would not be surprised if we kept him at all, with our propensity to Nickel, I just could see him being the odd man out. Especially given the money we paid to Bradley..
I think that 3 man rotation was an aberration caused by the injuries to Warren and Hunter. Had Hunter not been injured it is likely that Wolfe would have been a bigger part of the DT rotation since he wouldn't have to play so many DE snaps and Warren was clearly slotted for a starter or key reserve role.

I think this year at least 4 players who are primarily DTs will be rotating with Wolfe kicking in from the DE spot on passing downs.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #65
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:

It's sad, but true.

His gayness is overshadowed by his being a prick.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #66
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I think that 3 man rotation was an aberration caused by the injuries to Warren and Hunter. Had Hunter not been injured it is likely that Wolfe would have been a bigger part of the DT rotation since he wouldn't have to play so many DE snaps and Warren was clearly slotted for a starter or key reserve role.

I think this year at least 4 players who are primarily DTs will be rotating with Wolfe kicking in from the DE spot on passing downs.
I disagree. Knighton and Vickerson will play primary runs downs with Williams getting some of the work there but majority on passing downs, where Wolfe will kick inside. With Wolfe able to play DT and Jackson DT, you don't need Unrein and you can keep an extra pass rusher, like Beal.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
schaaf

Here's my crack at the 53:

QB: Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert

HB: Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, Knowshon Moreno, Jacob Hester

TE: Joel Dreessen, Jacob Tamme, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Tavarres King, Greg Orton, Trindon Holliday

LT: Ryan Clady, Chris Clark

LG: Zane Beadles, Chris Kuper

C: JD Walton, Manny Ramirez(G/C)

RG: Louis Vasquez

RT: Orlando Franklin

Defense

RE: Robert Ayers, Quanterus Smith

DT: Terrence Knighton, Sylvester Williams, Kevin Vickerson, Mitch Unrein

LE: Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson

WLB: Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan

MLB: Nate Irving, Steve Johnson, Stewart Bradley

SLB: Von Miller, Shaun Phillips

CB: Champ Bailey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Harris, Tony Carter, Kayvon Webster

FS: Rahim Moore, Mike Adams

SS: Quinton Carter, David Bruton, Quentin Jammer

K: Matt Prater

P: Britton Colquitt

LS: Aaron Brewer

Thoughts: My final 2 cuts were Jeremy Beal and Vinston Painter. I assume they would try to sneak Painter onto the practice squad but I don't know if they'll be able to. Beal was a tough one, Quanterus Smith is a near lock being a 5th round pick and Elway's tendencies to stick with his draft choices from that year. With Shaun Phillips also being able to play that position led me to believe he is expendable.

There will be some very good DB's cut this year, we just don't have room to keep them all. They have to stick with Kayvon Webster making the team, I don't know how you could cut any one of DRC, Harris, or Tony Carter. Tony Carter proved his worth last year as a Nickel and Dime cornerback. Omar Bolden will be a tough decision for them to make. He had value on special teams last year but appeared to be a step behind whenever given the chance on defense. Regardless of their decision I believe this is one group that will keep them up at night.

I envision them sticking with Knowshon because of his versatility and how well he performed down the stretch last season. I also see them keeping Hester. I was underwhelmed by his running last year but all the photos I have seen from OTA's has shown me that they have a lot of runs in the playbook where they have a Fullback on the field. He can play Full back and also is a safety net at half back. I believe they will hold on to his versatility.

The positions I am most looking forward to come camp are CB, RB, S, and MLB. I think Irving will finally grasp hold of the linebacker position and will only improve throughout the season.

Looking at this 53 man roster it has become very clear to me where Elway has done his best work. This roster is deep. There will be players getting cut at the end of camp who could very well start on several teams in this league including Caldwell, Mays, and McGahee. And several others who could easily be starting within a couple years.

It is going to be very interesting come training camp.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #68
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
His gayness is overshadowed by his being a prick.
...is he?

I never got that.