The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

this NYTs article relies heavily on "psychology" which in and of itself, is not really science and this again just demonstrates the irony of the article. The hard sciences can be validated in the laboratory, the soft sciences simply can't. When psychologists start throwing theories out there you better believe that it's questionable at best. The human condition and all it's intricacies can never be boiled down to 1 + 1 = 2, especially when predicting behavior. We all have at one time or another at least gave some credence to a conspiracy theory. For example, the JFK assassination. But just because I'm willing to analyze all the angles of the JFK assassination conspiracy theories and say "there might be something there" does not mean I'm gonna give credence to all conspiracy theories. And, just because I don't particularly trust the federal government does not mean I'm wacko, it just means I have a different philosophy on how things should be done, that is, I think personal responsibility is key to a successful and functioning society and when my personal freedoms are sacrificed at the alter of safety then I get more dissatisfied with the current state of affairs.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
It is political. We have a President who should be impeached for all the blatant breaches of The Constitution he's committed since the day he took office. Now there are 3 major issues that if he was a Republican the "media" would be covering non-stop 24-7 until the liberals did their usual rioting and protesting all over the White House lawn.

Ny Times is pure lib crap. So of course they have "scientists" deeming that anyone suspicious of der fuhrer must have low self esteem and mental issues.
Funny how GW Bush and his abuses of power have so quickly been forgotten.

His crimes started with his election. Inaction during 9/11. Then you have the whole WMD thing, followed by Cheney making millions off Haiburton, the freaking "Patriot Act", GITMO and the abuses there, FEMA breakdown post Katrina, an Economic meltdown that went Global.

I am not a big fan of Obama but look at what the poor guy inherited.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Whether it's anti-gravity and the man keeping Tebow down from MacGruder, or baja's 2012, reptilian control, America is evil and human photosynthesis, or gaffney's... well... everything, we have no shortage of conspiracy theorists on the Mane.

This recent article provides some interesting insight into the minds of these kinds of people.

"Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories" Check out the amazing article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/ma...&smid=fb-share

My favorite segments:

RE confirmation bias:
I saw this in the Chicago Trib a couple weeks ago.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Funny how GW Bush and his abuses of power have so quickly been forgotten.

His crimes started with his election. Inaction during 9/11. Then you have the whole WMD thing, followed by Cheney making millions off Haiburton, the freaking "Patriot Act", GITMO and the abuses there, FEMA breakdown post Katrina, an Economic meltdown that went Global.

I am not a big fan of Obama but look at what the poor guy inherited.
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
schaaf

Phuggin Obama! Trying to raise the price on gasoline!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This thread went well.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
NYTimes and Denver Post, two of the worst liberal rags on the planet. Their spin is insufferable and nearly always opposite of the truth.
Karl Rove and David Brooks write for the NY Times.

The Denver Post endorsed Tom Tancredo multiple times.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Rev should know better. Any post with a hint of public policy implications will turn into a political mudslingfest.

Really any academic-type post will turn political. People think they know everything and feel the need to make that known.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

What really gets me is when ordinary people distrust mainstream science because they are too uneducated and backwards to even understand the ****ing concepts. If you're ****ing stupid because you never bothered to educate yourself, you shouldn't have an opinion that counts. You shouldn't have a ****ing vote. Not all opinions are created equal and I'm sick and tired of hearing that they are.

But none of this really matters does it? Jesus will be back by like, 3:00 PM tomorrow, right?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Karl Rove and David Brooks write for the NY Times.

The Denver Post endorsed Tom Tancredo multiple times.
Not to mention the NY Times led the campaign to sink Al Gore and were also Cheney's biggest flag wavers in the lead up to the invasion of Iraq.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Not to mention they led the campaign to sink Al Gore and were also Cheney's biggest flag wavers in the lead up to the invasion of Iraq.
Maureen Dowd and Paul Krugman also write for the New York Times.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Personal responsibility is long forgotten. I weep for this country in 50 years it will be a husk. The only redemption is the fact that technology allows the special people to require a fraction of the man power it used to.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Rev should know better. Any post with a hint of public policy implications will turn into a political mudslingfest.

Really any academic-type post will turn political. People think they know everything and feel the need to make that known.
That's just it. There ARE NO HINTS of public policy aside from the medium itself.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Personal responsibility is long forgotten. I weep for this country in 50 years it will be a husk. The only redemption is the fact that technology allows the special people to require a fraction of the man power it used to.
I don't. I think it's generational. After all, I guarantee you the WWII generation was saying much worse regarding their hippy kids in the 60s and 70s.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

lol at the NY Times being "conservative."
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
lol at the NY Times being "conservative."
It's certainly more middle of the road than people think.

The editorial section leans left. The rest is pretty unbiased. A lot of it is taken from the AP.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #42
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
My sister was left by her abusive husband. She has two kids and is staying in our Aunt's house. She's slowly blamed every single person in her family for her problems and now hates all of us (I apparently disrespected her children on facebook by including a photo of them with my daughter and now she doesn't want to see me.) It's sad but it just seems some people begin to become angrier and bitter and begin to see and blame everyone for all their problems.
See drug addicts also. I agree with Rev, personal responsibility is severely lacking.

As far as the opening post, couldn't agree more about the internet aiding the conspiracy theorist. We have one in the family. I tell him he believes what he wants to believe and I believe what I want to believe and any article found on the internet we are drawn to is because it is what we want to believe. It's not fact, because it's generally written by someone who is leaning one way or another. But he is convinced what he believes is fact. Might be, but my "facts" trump his.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #43
Bronco Yoda

Me thinks this article was a rewritten retread. Insert 'organized religion' for 'Conspiracy' and see ...

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 06-01-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” - Socrates
Old 06-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

I'm not a conspiracy theorist...however, this Sandy Hook shooting official story has raised many questions that haven't been answered....watch the video and make your own conclusions.

errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The article makes some good points. There are people who have a victim mentality, that buy concepts for failure as an externalized influence.

This article also infers that 'conspiracies' are null/void, due to the poison the well projection that conspiracies are for crazy people. The problem is, conspiracies do exist.

The lack of trust, and the ominous scary power that 'the state' has become fuels some of these. The State, is involved in conspiracies: it may or may not be as nuts as stargate/xfiles stuff - but injecting people with syphilis, testing acid on people, plans like operation northwoods, drones, full domestic spying, are real concerns and lend credence to big scary nazi 1984 bravenewworld dystopias.

conspiracies by the wto, imf, monsanto, drug dealers, private prison industry, etc do exist.

all that aside...amesj523 said it's as weird stargate...since he found one, in a mortuary temple at the foot of a mountain, got run out of town by a secret society, and has a clue to the red stone.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #47
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I hate filler. And being told that being cynical of things that deserve suspicion means I might be a member of the tin foil hat brigade. It has nothing to do with right or left.

I agree. I did commercial litigation for many years. I can tell you without reservation that people do get together in groups and make secret plans to do dishonest and illegal stuff and then lie about them--often involving many millions of dollars. That's a conspiracy. That same personality type that becomes a high level business executive is also often attracted to the power and money of government. Some of them do the same thing.

One has to exercise discretion. Not everything is a conspiracy.One good test: if everything proves your conspiracy, it's probably bogus. For example:

* A and B met. They were obviously conspiring
* A and B did not meet. Don't you think that's suspicious evidence of a consipracy?

On the other hand, a sure sign in litigation is when you take a bunch of depositions and everyone's story is exactly the same down to the smallest detail. That means they got together, made up their story and then rehearsed it at some length because human memory isn't that accurate as to details.

I knew that Benghazi was a lame and poorly managed coverup conspiracy the first time I heard Secretary Clinton's "LA Filmmaker" explanation of what happened. Obviously false and obviously made up on the fly. It was bound to unravel. The only odd thing is that it took so long to unravel.

Last edited by fdf; 06-02-2013 at 05:43 AM..
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #48
lolcopter

politics is the biggest conspiracy of them all
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #49
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
this NYTs article relies heavily on "psychology" which in and of itself, is not really science and this again just demonstrates the irony of the article. The hard sciences can be validated in the laboratory, the soft sciences simply can't. When psychologists start throwing theories out there you better believe that it's questionable at best...
I'll take Tom Cruise rants on Oprah for 100, Alex
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #50
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Most of America is retarded. Deal with it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote