The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default OT: Psychologists Examine Conspiracy Theorists

Whether it's anti-gravity and the man keeping Tebow down from MacGruder, or baja's 2012, reptilian control, America is evil and human photosynthesis, or gaffney's... well... everything, we have no shortage of conspiracy theorists on the Mane.

This recent article provides some interesting insight into the minds of these kinds of people.

"Why Rational People Buy Into Conspiracy Theories" Check out the amazing article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/ma...&smid=fb-share

My favorite segments:

Quote:
Conspiracy theories also seem to be more compelling to those with low self-worth, especially with regard to their sense of agency in the world at large. Conspiracy theories appear to be a way of reacting to uncertainty and powerlessness.
Quote:
“If you know the truth and others don’t, that’s one way you can reassert feelings of having agency,” Swami says. It can be comforting to do your own research even if that research is flawed. It feels good to be the wise old goat in a flock of sheep.
RE confirmation bias:

Quote:
In that way, Swami says, the Internet and other media have helped perpetuate paranoia. Not only does more exposure to these alternative narratives help engender belief in conspiracies, he says, but the Internet’s tendency toward tribalism helps reinforce misguided beliefs.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

My sister was left by her abusive husband. She has two kids and is staying in our Aunt's house. She's slowly blamed every single person in her family for her problems and now hates all of us (I apparently disrespected her children on facebook by including a photo of them with my daughter and now she doesn't want to see me.) It's sad but it just seems some people begin to become angrier and bitter and begin to see and blame everyone for all their problems.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
My sister was left by her abusive husband. She has two kids and is staying in our Aunt's house. She's slowly blamed every single person in her family for her problems and now hates all of us (I apparently disrespected her children on facebook by including a photo of them with my daughter and now she doesn't want to see me.) It's sad but it just seems some people begin to become angrier and bitter and begin to see and blame everyone for all their problems.
I think lack of personal responsibility is the single worst epidemic our species is facing in the current, modern world.

It extends a lot further than our own American litigious society and infects a lot of not only our own interactions, but also our individual actions and choices.

To be fair to your sister, I saw when you posted those pictures when you posted them and you kinda did dress them up in clothes that said "My mom sucks!".

Seriously though, sorry about your sister. Maybe the mothership will come take her to happiness soon?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I read a great quote from Arthur C. Clarke the other day. "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." I think a lot of what human beings get tangled up in comes from the process of dealing with that terror.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
It's sad but it just seems some people begin to become angrier and bitter and begin to see and blame everyone for all their problems.
Sounds just like my ex except that she mostly blames me for everything as opposed to everyone else lol.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

MISINFORMATION!

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

It's natural to be wary of what other people say and do, which could lead you down the wrong path.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

In reading the article 3 times...it reminds me why I hate the NY Times. Use of some of our members favorite buzzwords certainly deserves a chuckle though.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
...it reminds me why I hate the NY Times.
Yup, can't be trustin' them there highfalutin city folk. Nosiree.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup, can't be trustin' them there highfalutin city folk. Nosiree.

Well obviously.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
In reading the article 3 times...it reminds me why I hate the NY Times. Use of some of our members favorite buzzwords certainly deserves a chuckle though.

...what in that article was representative of why you hate the NY Times?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

NYTimes and Denver Post, two of the worst liberal rags on the planet. Their spin is insufferable and nearly always opposite of the truth.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Please God, don't let this turn into a political b**** fest...
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...what in that article was representative of why you hate the NY Times?

The ending.

"Either way, the current scientific thinking suggests these beliefs are nothing more than an extreme form of cynicism, a turning away from politics and traditional media which only perpetuates the problem."

You can't trust those new news sources out there. They might be conspiracy theorists! But you can trust us, the traditional media, and our right good friends in politics.

Timing of the article is also funny. A White House buried under 3 conspiracies, one of which involves traditional media and we get an article about conspiracy theories from the NYT and how being extremely cynical of either the media or government means you may be prone to believing conspiracy theories, and therefore potentially crazy.

Plus the constant use of science/scientific just for the sake of it got on my nerves. We already know it is an article based on scientific research. Claiming it in every other sentence is filler. She have a minimum word count?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
NYTimes and Denver Post, two of the worst liberal rags on the planet. Their spin is insufferable and nearly always opposite of the truth.

I hate filler. And being told that being cynical of things that deserve suspicion means I might be a member of the tin foil hat brigade. It has nothing to do with right or left.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I think lack of personal responsibility is the single worst epidemic our species is facing in the current, modern world.

It extends a lot further than our own American litigious society and infects a lot of not only our own interactions, but also our individual actions and choices.

To be fair to your sister, I saw when you posted those pictures when you posted them and you kinda did dress them up in clothes that said "My mom sucks!".

Seriously though, sorry about your sister. Maybe the mothership will come take her to happiness soon?
I couldn't agree more. It's an epidemic in America to blame everyone else for your problems. It started as a self esteem movement (give all the kids a trophy, not just the winner) and now it's matastisized into an entire generation of non-motivated, spoiled and self entitled young folks who think the rules don't apply to them. Combine this with the post modern movement of subjective truth and it's a snowball made in hell.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
The ending.

"Either way, the current scientific thinking suggests these beliefs are nothing more than an extreme form of cynicism, a turning away from politics and traditional media which only perpetuates the problem."

You can't trust those new news sources out there. They might be conspiracy theorists! But you can trust us, the traditional media, and our right good friends in politics.

Timing of the article is also funny. A White House buried under 3 conspiracies, one of which involves traditional media and we get an article about conspiracy theories from the NYT and how being extremely cynical of either the media or government means you may be prone to believing conspiracy theories, and therefore potentially crazy.

Plus the constant use of science/scientific just for the sake of it got on my nerves. We already know it is an article based on scientific research. Claiming it in every other sentence is filler. She have a minimum word count?

Baaaa-Zing! and a good rep to you sir.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
What ever happend to accountability? It sucks that she was abused, but you need to look within sometimes.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
pricejj
jungle

I don't believe they did it because of a youtube video. Does that make me a conspiracy theorist?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
jerseyboiler120

Quote:
Please God, don't let this turn into a political b**** fest...
It is political. We have a President who should be impeached for all the blatant breaches of The Constitution he's committed since the day he took office. Now there are 3 major issues that if he was a Republican the "media" would be covering non-stop 24-7 until the liberals did their usual rioting and protesting all over the White House lawn.

Ny Times is pure lib crap. So of course they have "scientists" deeming that anyone suspicious of der fuhrer must have low self esteem and mental issues.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
jerseyboiler120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I don't believe they did it because of a youtube video. Does that make me a conspiracy theorist?
Yes, if you have any shred of doubt or disbelief in der fuhrer then you are a complete right wing whack job with guns and bombs in your shelter waiting for the end. That's what the "media" tells people.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
It is political. We have a President who should be impeached for all the blatant breaches of The Constitution he's committed since the day he took office. Now there are 3 major issues that if he was a Republican the "media" would be covering non-stop 24-7 until the liberals did their usual rioting and protesting all over the White House lawn.

Ny Times is pure lib crap. So of course they have "scientists" deeming that anyone suspicious of der fuhrer must have low self esteem and mental issues.

This post is pretty much the definition of political b****fest. I'm not a fan of the president, but that is not the focus of this thread. It is conspiracy theories, and some of the OM's illustrious posters who are known for it.

Tone down the political rhetoric, please.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I read a great quote from Arthur C. Clarke the other day. "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." I think a lot of what human beings get tangled up in comes from the process of dealing with that terror.
Flight From Death is an interesting documentary on the concepts of humans being terrified (subconsciously), from the concept of facing mortality. Worth a look if you get a chance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_from_Death

http://www.hulu.com/watch/173530
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
The ending.

I lean conservatively and was completely enraged when Obama was reelected, but it definitely seems like you're jumping at shadows here. You've taken one line of a content rich article and taken it out of context just to view it from the worst possible light (from your perspective).

I thought the extreme cynicism closing was an extremely insightful revelation, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post

I was following, but your final sentence conclusion completely undercut any value in your post, imo.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
pricejj
jungle

I will tell you that the U.S. Government injected a bunch of black males with syphillus at Tuskegee. Now I'm the crazy one?